Christmas present

GinRummy

24 minutes ago, Lord BJ said:

I’ve gone for Mulberry hand bag and matching purse I’m reliably informed she will be over the moon. 

Though, I’m told that every time I buy her a ridiculously overpriced hand bag, which now seems to be most special occasions. I just don’t get my wife obsession with shoes and handbags 🤷🏻‍♂️

Got her a few other items to make it look like I went to more effort than, just going on internet for 5min. 

I had been trying to stay away from material things and focus on experiences. However, that’s not really practical with the COVID shit show. 

Anyway some suggestions based on years of getting it wrong 

Jewellery- Most love shiny things

Handbags- Overpriced carrier bags but women love

Break/holiday- A bit harder this year as no idea when and where can travel, but potentially cash saving

Spa treatment- Not sure if establishments operating in current climate, 

Cosemetics/perfume- just make sure get right stuff

I would generally suggest staying away technology but new phone might work if she is into that type of thing. 

Thanks. The spa thing seems like a good idea. Hadn’t considered that. 

Dagger Is Back

I was going to say nothing because every year we say we don’t need anything etc

Reality is she’ll get an afternoon tea voucher or something like that, and I’ll get a bottle of Jack

Just now, Dagger Is Back said:

Reality is she’ll get an afternoon tea voucher or something like that, and I’ll get a bottle of Jack

The problem I’ve got is the Mrs has a lot of jewellery, bags, cosmetics and perfume but sticks to the same ones all the time. I got her a watch last year and she has worn it about 5 times, I suspect just to be nice to me, then back to her old watch. 

She’d like the afternoon tea thing but would probably want to take me which is unacceptable. 

The Real Maroonblood
6 minutes ago, GinRummy said:

The problem I’ve got is the Mrs has a lot of jewellery, bags, cosmetics and perfume but sticks to the same ones all the time. I got her a watch last year and she has worn it about 5 times, I suspect just to be nice to me, then back to her old watch. 

She’d like the afternoon tea thing but would probably want to take me which is unacceptable. 

I think Xmas is a lot of s***e so to keep the peace we donate money to animal charities of our choice.

If we want anything we just buy it.

Edited by The Real Maroonblood

3 minutes ago, The Real Maroonblood said:

I think Xmas is a lot of s***e so to keep the peace we donate money to animal charities of our choice.

If we want anything we just buy it.

I love Christmas but as far as presents go I agree. The problem is I’m the only one in the relationship that thinks this ☹️

The Real Maroonblood
1 minute ago, GinRummy said:

I love Christmas but as far as presents go I agree. The problem is I’m the only one in the relationship that thinks this ☹️

I do like the general atmosphere it creates especially in pubs😭😭😭

A nice present would be Tier1.🍺🍷

I can but dream.

5 minutes ago, Dagger Is Back said:

We've been in this position for quite a few years now, you get to a certain age in life that you really have everything you probably want and as long as you can afford it you would have already have bought it.

We just give each other money then that way we can buy whatever we might fancy throughout the year.

Previously bought her one of those expensive Mulberry Handbags a few years ago for her xmas and I honestly can say that she's not used it more than once.

A Spa day is a good option but daughter normally buys this for wife and herself to get pampered.

From my own experience it certainly doesn't get any easier as we get older when trying to choose a xmas present for them 😁

2 minutes ago, The Real Maroonblood said:

I can but dream.

That’s what I like most, not just in the pubs, when you’re walking about as well. Great to see happy people for a change. It’s a fantastic time of year. 

Tier 1 would outstrip any Xmas gift 👍

The Real Maroonblood
2 minutes ago, GinRummy said:

That’s what I like most, not just in the pubs, when you’re walking about as well. Great to see happy people for a change. It’s a fantastic time of year. 

:spoton:

1 hour ago, GinRummy said:

If your username has relevance - how's about a gin experience thing? Edinburgh seems to have loads and you could aye suggest that you accompany her?

Just now, Boof said:

If your username has relevance - how's about a gin experience thing? Edinburgh seems to have loads and you could aye suggest that you accompany her?

That’s a very good suggestion that I hadn’t considered at all. We both enjoy a gin or 5.

I started off with the shop local mentality, which became buy Scottish. The gifts looked after themselves after that...

Christmas Candle (https://www.etsy.com/uk/shop/AshWoodCandles)

Gaelic Christmas card (chest, heart & stroke scotland charity)

Tiree Chocolates (https://www.isle20.com/market/tireechocolates/)

Pink Gin (McQueens, Trossachs)

Bakery & sweet treats gift voucher (Pastel bakery, newtongrange)

Robin Christmas ornament with tartan inlay (little thistle gift shop, Fife)

www.isle20.com

www.madeinmidlothian.com

Www.littlethistle.co.uk

Tenaciousdandy

I usually book a getaway for after the year, not done it this time yet tho, can't go wrong with some Pandora jewellery either

1 hour ago, Lord BJ said:

You could maybe look at experience like a Michelin star resteraunt, cocktail making, cooking class with a chef, wine tasting and/or food tasting or get personal chef to house. 

Thanks for suggestion. I’m definitely going down the day out/experience route. I’m a bit of an impulse buyer so going to try and take a few days looking before diving in and making an arse of it 😀

We gave up buying each other Christmas presents years ago, we looked after each other 365 days a year, that was our other special gift to each other. Our special gift was each day at least once we told each other I love you, that was important to us.

Edited by Sharpie

1 hour ago, Sharpie said:

We gave up buying each other Christmas presents years ago, we looked after each other 365 days a year, that was our other special gift to each other. Our special gift was each day at least once we told each other I love you, that was important to us.

There you go again Bob, making the rest of us feel inadequate. ☹️

Dagger Is Back
5 hours ago, GinRummy said:

My Mrs would take anyone BUT me. Mind you slurping your tea out of the saucer probably wouldn't go down well in public. What about a ladies pamper day?

Dagger Is Back
5 hours ago, Jambo314 said:

We've been in this position for quite a few years now, you get to a certain age in life that you really have everything you probably want and as long as you can afford it you would have already have bought it.

We just give each other money then that way we can buy whatever we might fancy throughout the year.

Previously bought her one of those expensive Mulberry Handbags a few years ago for her xmas and I honestly can say that she's not used it more than once.

A Spa day is a good option but daughter normally buys this for wife and herself to get pampered.

From my own experience it certainly doesn't get any easier as we get older when trying to choose a xmas present for them 😁

It doesn't get any easier you're right. Must admit nowadays it's more about paying for an experience like a spa day or afternoon tea etc. 

The Real Maroonblood
19 minutes ago, graygo said:

There you go again Bob, making the rest of us feel inadequate. ☹️

Speak for yourself.

1 hour ago, Sharpie said:

What a fantastic post Bob. You really do come over as a lovely guy. 

7 minutes ago, Dagger Is Back said:

My Mrs would take anyone BUT me. Mind you slurping your tea out of the saucer probably wouldn't go down well in public. What about a ladies pamper day?

I’ve had to do the high tea type thing a couple of times. Utter shite.

Yep, that’s the sort of thing I’ve (almost) decided on 👍

Geddy Lees Big Beautiful Book of Bass

Think the Amazon guy delivered it today. Box was enormous. Cannae wait to open it.

Dagger Is Back
16 hours ago, GinRummy said:

I’ve had to do the high tea type thing a couple of times. Utter shite.

Yep, that’s the sort of thing I’ve (almost) decided on 👍

Oh I hear you. Wife and daughter love an afternoon tea. I just don’t get it. Complete rip off. 

She wants to do the Ritz in London. Think it’s about £90 🤦‍♂️😮

Howdy Doody Jambo
On 06/12/2020 at 07:46, GinRummy said:

What’s everyone getting their wife/partner for Christmas. I’m totally stuck and looking for ideas. 

Nowt, sick of Christmas already, designer handbags, leather gloves, expensive jewelry, fancy chocolates from M"&S, hotel vouchers, smelly perfumes can all GTF 

GHD straighteners,  Perfume, Chocolates, Yankee candles and a bath set. 

Slippers and jammies from the kids. 

far more than usual but I feel this year she deserves it. Been messed about more than most due to this pandemic. She’s also had to put up with me far more than usual which makes her a saint. 

Edited by AlimOzturk

The Real Maroonblood
1 hour ago, Ma Roon said:

Nowt, sick of Christmas already, designer handbags, leather gloves, expensive jewelry, fancy chocolates from M"&S, hotel vouchers, smelly perfumes can all GTF 

This.

Trying to give Mrs VM a role for when things return to normal. I do all the cooking.

16 piece cocktail maker set.

6 martini style cocktail glasses.

The art of mixology cocktail recipe book.

Karen Millen cocktail dress.

Sometimes feel she was left out a bit when we had folk round pre Covid so hopefully she takes this on and runs with it.

Governor Tarkin
On 06/12/2020 at 09:37, GinRummy said:
On 06/12/2020 at 09:33, The Real Maroonblood said:

I can but dream.

I agree with all of this.

Whatever she sticks in my amazon basket by the end of this week, then she'll get locked out the account and i'll add in a couple of things

I’m going to get mine a paster maker (one of those manual ones) with the accessories that come with it. I’ve noticed she’s gotten into watching YouTube videos of chefs and trying to do a lot of new things herself - some incredible things so far but the pasta from scratch was a little bit trickier because we don’t have the utensils.

Any recommendations would be appreciated! 

Kennedy Bakircioglu
On 06/12/2020 at 08:45, Lord BJ said:

I’ve gone for Mulberry hand bag and matching purse I’m reliably informed she will be over the moon. 

Though, I’m told that every time I buy her a ridiculously overpriced hand bag, which now seems to be most special occasions. I just don’t get my wife obsession with shoes and handbags 🤷🏻‍♂️

Got her a few other items to make it look like I went to more effort than, just going on internet for 5min. 

I had been trying to stay away from material things and focus on experiences. However, that’s not really practical with the COVID shit show. 

Anyway some suggestions based on years of getting it wrong 

Jewellery- Most love shiny things

Handbags- Overpriced carrier bags but women love

Break/holiday- A bit harder this year as no idea when and where can travel, but potentially cash saving

Spa treatment- Not sure if establishments operating in current climate, 

Cosemetics/perfume- just make sure get right stuff

I would generally suggest staying away technology but new phone might work if she is into that type of thing.