Flash Gordon approaching

ri Alban

40 years old on the 10th of December. Flash Gordon is the number 1 'So shite, it's brilliant' film of all time. 

Time they made a new one. 

Edited by ri Alban

Montgomery Brewster
1 hour ago, ri Alban said:

40 years old on the 10th of December. Flash Gordon is the number 1 'So shite, it's brilliant' film of all time. 

Time they made a new one. 

Gordon’s Alive 

Carl Fredrickson

My first trip to the Dominion was to see this. I was only 10, my parents paid my entry then left me to watch it on my own as they went shopping! Changed days indeed. The film was on a loop and I stayed in my seat to start watching it again and my dad appeared at my side with an usher. :)

I saw it in the ABC at Lothian Road twice.  

I noticed on ITV2 it's rating is a star and half out of 4. Somebody has no sense of humour.

The Real Maroonblood
14 minutes ago, JackLadd said:

I saw it in the ABC at Lothian Road twice.  

I noticed on ITV2 it's rating is a star and half out of 4. Somebody has no sense of humour.

Some of these critics have no sense of humour.

It’s an outrageous camp type classic really ! And the Queen soundtrack is brilliant ! Sam Jones couldn’t act for toffee . I loved Max Von Sydow as Emperor Ming 

Weakened Offender

I saw this at the ABC and it was absolute class at the time. The boy from Blue Peter was in it as well, if I mind right. 

I remember seeing Yesterday's Hero around the same time. A football movie, Ian McShane was in it. Complete dugshite. 

Edited by Weakened Offender

I saw it in the cinema.  Queen soundtrack album is great.

Looking back now its definitely very cheesy.

I have vague memories of seeing black and white re-runs of a Flash Gordon TV show as a kid.

1 hour ago, frankblack said:

I have vague memories of seeing black and white re-runs of a Flash Gordon TV show as a kid.

Yip during the holidays. Buster Crabbe played Flash Gordon.

8 hours ago, John Findlay said:

Yip during the holidays. Buster Crabbe played Flash Gordon.

Loved it. Tho I'm sure they used to land their rocket ship(Great effects) in the same place. Whilst travelling the planet. :D

Rocketman or whatever it was called was also on the telly during these times. Magic, cheap, but magic. 

9 hours ago, frankblack said:

3 hours ago, ri Alban said:

Loved it. Tho I'm sure they used to land their rocket ship(Great effects) in the same place. Whilst travelling the planet. :D

Rocketman or whatever it was called was also on the telly during these times. Magic, cheap, but magic. 

"King of the Rocketmen"... great times. Summer holiday morning TV in the late 70s/ early 80s.

6 hours ago, ri Alban said:

I agree. My dad was gutted he missed it as he had to go to work. 

He loved it from seeing it in the pictures on a Saturday morning when he was a laddie growing up in Coatbridge.

18 hours ago, Weakened Offender said:

I saw this at the ABC and it was absolute class at the time. The boy from Blue Peter was in it as well, if I mind right. 

I remember seeing Yesterday's Hero around the same time. A football movie, Ian McShane was in it. Complete dugshite. 

Peter Duncan iirc. Surprised there's been no mention of a spin-off, Flesh Gordon

Yes I really liked " Flash Gordon" and also the Tarzan films with Johnny Weissmuller.  I also recall " Abbott and Costello" films which i found very funny but now as an adult couldn't watch at all. 

My favorite childhood show was " Herge Adventures of Tintin".. It was brilliant and I loved the books too. Pure escapism. Of course I loved Laurel and Hardy and still do.  They had an incredible chemistry on screen.  Stan was the creative genius behind their films and Ollie didnt mind being the foil.  There was no inflated egos unlike some other double acts.  Stan was inconsolable when Ollie died . :( 

Governor Tarkin
10 hours ago, CF11JamTart said:
14 hours ago, ri Alban said:

Expand  

"King of the Rocketmen"... great times. Summer holiday morning TV in the late 70s/ early 80s.

Rocketman was class.

The Real Maroonblood
2 hours ago, JamesM48 said:

Yes I really liked " Flash Gordon" and also the Tarzan films with Johnny Weissmuller.  I also recall " Abbott and Costello" films which i found very funny but now as an adult couldn't watch at all. 

My favorite childhood show was " Herge Adventures of Tintin".. It was brilliant and I loved the books too. Pure escapism. Of course I loved Laurel and Hardy and still do.  They had an incredible chemistry on screen.  Stan was the creative genius behind their films and Ollie didnt mind being the foil.  There was no inflated egos unlike some other double acts.  Stan was inconsolable when Ollie died . :( 

Laurel & Hardy are still my favourite comedians.

Still watch them.

Recorded one last week from the Talking Pictures channel. 

Another great childhood memory. I always remember the Queen song gave it  a small feeling of drama, certainly as a kid I felt in awe.  

Until you grow up and realise how cheesy the film it is😀

3 hours ago, The Real Maroonblood said:

Laurel & Hardy are still my favourite comedians.

Still watch them.

Recorded one last week from the Talking Pictures channel. 

Yes they are still mine too . I love the Talking pictures channel . It’s my favourite channel to record from . Some great old British and American films on it as well as tv series .

The Real Maroonblood
11 hours ago, JamesM48 said:

Yes they are still mine too . I love the Talking pictures channel . It’s my favourite channel to record from . Some great old British and American films on it as well as tv series .

👍