***Official Morton v Heart of Midlothian Match Thread***

tartofmidlothian

Juho_Makela_Goal_Machine

0-0, really lacking ideas going forward at the moment, especially away from home. If he plays with one of Walker, Lee or White out wide I'm not watching.

• Replies 939
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• neilnunb

• Pasquale for King

• upgotheheads

• WDJ87

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Tennant's  6's
8 minutes ago, The Apprentice said:

Can't see it being pretty whatsoever and has 0-0 written all over it.

Its gonna be a slog. This quad still don't instill much confidence.. 

I quite liked the Irish girls questions at Robbie press conference. 

But Robbie's response to the alloa defeat, ie lots of possession & lots of attempts at goal, which seems like he's hiding behind stats considering what people who endured that game say..

These players need the stick, no carrot should be anywhere near Oriam.

49 minutes ago, CJGJ said:

This will be played on a heavy pitch and whilst we may wish to pass the ball quickly etc etc it will be hard to do so

Oh for a Sandy Clark type tomorrow

I just feel this will demand a more 'up and at em' approach as we move into winter and the heavier pitches

Maybe he should have signed a big target man to play in a league like this.

Least we could have varied our game a bit at times.

Everybody in that league knows exactly how we are going to play.

Now he is saying in the papers we need another striker in the next window.

That was obvious quite a while ago tbh

3 minutes ago, Tennant's 6's said:

But Robbie's response to the alloa defeat, ie lots of possession & lots of attempts at goal, which seems like he's hiding behind stats considering what people who endured that game say..

The stats weren't that great either.

Sure they had as many shots on target as we did.

Yet according to Halliday we could have won 5 - 1. 🤔

1 hour ago, CJGJ said:

This will be played on a heavy pitch and whilst we may wish to pass the ball quickly etc etc it will be hard to do so

Oh for a Sandy Clark type tomorrow

I just feel this will demand a more 'up and at em' approach as we move into winter and the heavier pitches

Spot on 👍

Cannot believe it but I am not confident about beating Morton 🙈 Glad I am not paying to watch this. Happy to be proven wrong... Hoping he plays some younger players who will show a bit of desire for a change.

Edited by WDJ87

Loads of players carrying niggling injuries, really have to question or fitness set up (again). We are off pace and injured (again)

This will be a real struggle as we can't change our biggest problem which is pace and energy

The Apprentice
59 minutes ago, Tennant's 6's said:

I made the point on here after the Alloa game that I hoped he was speaking differently to the players than he did to the press, because as you say he seemed to be glossing over the fact that we were awful all over the park.

A big performance is needed tomorrow that's for sure.

1 hour ago, Robbo-Jambo said:

Maybe he should have signed a big target man to play in a league like this.

Least we could have varied our game a bit at times.

Everybody in that league knows exactly how we are going to play.

Now he is saying in the papers we need another striker in the next window.

That was obvious quite a while ago tbh

I can't understand what he done with Wighton. Kid was scoring goals.....he then plays him wide....and then drops him....puzzling

Elsewhere I'm thinking that a Raith win tomorrow would be best for us. Dunfermline are looking our biggest threat, and Arbroath to beat Dundee. 

9 minutes ago, Jim Panzee said:

I can't understand what he done with Wighton. Kid was scoring goals.....he then plays him wide....and then drops him....puzzling

When you put it like that it is bizarre. I think Wighton got more game time than expected due to Boyce being away with NI and Naismith (again) taking time to get fit. But plan A was always going to be to play both Boyce and Naismith with Wighton as the back up. Robbie is then left with the awkward situation of dropping an in form striker but felt that Boyce getting up and running was more important to the long term success of the team (not an unreasonable thought at the time) and so he tried to shoe horn Wighton in to limited effect. Now he has another awkward decision on whether he perseveres with a striker that is off form but he knows has goals in him or brings in a striker who started the season well but there is long term question marks over. A decision that could define the season. 

2 minutes ago, Anything2 said:

When you put it like that it is bizarre. I think Wighton got more game time than expected due to Boyce being away with NI and Naismith (again) taking time to get fit. But plan A was always going to be to play both Boyce and Naismith with Wighton as the back up. Robbie is then left with the awkward situation of dropping an in form striker but felt that Boyce getting up and running was more important to the long term success of the team (not an unreasonable thought at the time) and so he tried to shoe horn Wighton in to limited effect. Now he has another awkward decision on whether he perseveres with a striker that is off form but he knows has goals in him or brings in a striker who started the season well but there is long term question marks over. A decision that could define the season. 

Boyce and Wighton to start as a two up front might be the answer, with either Naismith or Walker behind them.

Gimme an H...
4 minutes ago, Anything2 said:

Wighton should never have been dropped. Didn't deserve that based on his performances prior. Would have put away at least half the chances Boyce has missed since he's replaced him. And this is coming from a Boyce fan.

4 minutes ago, Gimme an H... said:

Wighton should never have been dropped. Didn't deserve that based on his performances prior. Would have put away at least half the chances Boyce has missed since he's replaced him. And this is coming from a Boyce fan.

I don't disagree. On the other hand had Wighton's goals dried up, how long before everyone was screaming for our international striker to start? As someone else said, 2 up front would have solved a lot of the problem but that's not Robbie's approach. Had Boyce came back all guns blazing it would have probably been better for Wighton as he would have the luxury of taking the season to reignite his career scoring a decent amount of goals without the burden of being the main goal scorer. As it turns out now, he is back to square one where he's coming into a team lacking confidence (despite being a point of the top and in a cup final) and the pressure is on him to score. 

11 minutes ago, upgotheheads said:

Boyce and Wighton to start as a two up front might be the answer, with either Naismith or Walker behind them.

I would try two up top with Naismith behind. If we're not playing wide men, then I'd play Haring, Irving and Halliday in midfield. Haring and Halliday to win the ball and give to Irving to link with Naismith

Gimme an H...
3 minutes ago, Anything2 said:

I don't disagree. On the other hand had Wighton's goals dried up, how long before everyone was screaming for our international striker to start? As someone else said, 2 up front would have solved a lot of the problem but that's not Robbie's approach. Had Boyce came back all guns blazing it would have probably been better for Wighton as he would have the luxury of taking the season to reignite his career scoring a decent amount of goals without the burden of being the main goal scorer. As it turns out now, he is back to square one where he's coming into a team lacking confidence (despite being a point of the top and in a cup final) and the pressure is on him to score. 

Aye if the goals dry up then yes, play the other striker. Think we're mad for dropping something we've waited what feels like decades for... A striker playing with confidence and on a scoring run. That's dangerous in any division never mind the second tier of Scottish football. Not suggesting that the run would have lasted all season and he'd get 30 goals but you canny drop that... 

2 minutes ago, Gimme an H... said:

Aye if the goals dry up then yes, play the other striker. Think we're mad for dropping something we've waited what feels like decades for... A striker playing with confidence and on a scoring run. That's dangerous in any division never mind the second tier of Scottish football. Not suggesting that the run would have lasted all season and he'd get 30 goals but you canny drop that... 

Like I said, I don't disagree. In fact neither did Robbie as he tried to keep him in the team by playing him on the right. Wasn't very effective and in hindsight may feel that he should have switched the system around but obviously believes that he has the correct system. Not for me, at least not in the situation we are in but there you go. 

18 minutes ago, Jim Panzee said:

I would try two up top with Naismith behind. If we're not playing wide men, then I'd play Haring, Irving and Halliday in midfield. Haring and Halliday to win the ball and give to Irving to link with Naismith

If we can't play with two up front in this league then God help us. 

He should try it because what he is doing at the moment ain't working imo. 

Think we all know what will happen. It’s away from home home so it will be shite with very little goalmouth action and will probably result in a 1-0 either way. 
Would not be at all surprised if we lose this game as too many players in the team can’t run and are simply not good enough or don’t have the Heart or fight to win the battle Morton will make it. 

3 hours ago, Robbo-Jambo said:

The stats weren't that great either.

Sure they had as many shots on target as we did.

Yet according to Halliday we could have won 5 - 1. 🤔

From the BBC stats...

Possession: Alloa 38% - Hearts 62%

Shots: Alloa 6 - Hearts 16

Shots on Target: Alloa 5 - Hearts 4

Corners: Alloa 3 - Hearts 10

Fouls: Alloa 12 - Hearts 21

You could take from these that Hearts had a lot more pressure and possession than Alloa (and perhaps even that they were "trying harder", from the fouls count), but the Shots on Target figures are very telling and the final scoreline trumps any of that anyway.

Must do much better against Morton and in the weeks and months to come.   :ermm:

Edited by Auld Reekin'

Feeling distinctly uninspired still.      RN has been suggesting we played alright, created chances and just couldn't put the ball in the net against Alloa - that worries me, especially what I saw in the 2nd half!    Would much rather he called it as it was - unacceptable.   Think we'll grab a goal from a set piece and win a pretty crap affair 0 - 1.     Hoping for a performance but not expecting one.

Weakened Offender
3 hours ago, Juho_Makela_Goal_Machine said:

0-0, really lacking ideas going forward at the moment, especially away from home. If he plays with one of Walker, Lee or White out wide I'm not watching.

That's the spirit. 

35 minutes ago, Gmcjambo said:

Feeling distinctly uninspired still.      RN has been suggesting we played alright, created chances and just couldn't put the ball in the net against Alloa - that worries me, especially what I saw in the 2nd half!    Would much rather he called it as it was - unacceptable.   Think we'll grab a goal from a set piece and win a pretty crap affair 0 - 1.     Hoping for a performance but not expecting one.

I think your forecast is spot onbut ill be incensed by the inevitable "we played well" inevitable  summation from Robbie. Hope im wrong but I'm preparing to be underwhelmed. 

41 minutes ago, Auld Reekin' said:

From the BBC stats...

Possession: Alloa 38% - Hearts 62%

Shots: Alloa 6 - Hearts 16

Shots on Target: Alloa 5 - Hearts 4

Corners: Alloa 3 - Hearts 10

Fouls: Alloa 12 - Hearts 21

You could take from these that Hearts had a lot more pressure and possession than Alloa (and perhaps even that they were "trying harder", from the fouls count), but the Shots on Target figures are very telling and the final scoreline trumps any of that anyway.

Must do much better against Morton and in the weeks and months to come.   :ermm:

Yip, the final result is always the one that counts. 😏

2 minutes ago, Robbo-Jambo said:

Yip, the final result is always the one that counts. 😏

The shots on target stat demonstrates how utterly wasteful we are. We had so much of the ball and had one more shot on target than them. If there was a stat for backward/sideways passes we’d be about 500% above any other side. 

Tight game and I can't see this going our way.  Morton will smell blood.  We need to start telling the players they're playing Hibs.

Hope I'm wrong and we **** them

33 minutes ago, GinRummy said:

The shots on target stat demonstrates how utterly wasteful we are. We had so much of the ball and had one more shot on target than them. If there was a stat for backward/sideways passes we’d be about 500% above any other side. 

This sideways and backwards crap is so predictable and slow and suits other teams down to the ground. 

We desperately need a bit of pace in the team and players willing to take folk on to open teams up. 

It looks sadly we have just not got that in the current squad. 😏 

9 hours ago, 3fingersreid said:

Before my prediction a question ( not a pop at HMFC01) when did ZERO replace NIL in Scottish fitba terminology? Always been, two-nil, four -nil ,even nil -nil ???

anyway , morton nil , Heart of Midlothian 3,

last time I was in greenock a certain Mr Clark made his goal scoring debut ( 1984/5 season ?), a proper old fashioned centre forward 

Was that the 2-3 Hearts win, Clark wi 2 n Robbo wi the other, if it was I crushed ma privates on the metal pole I was leaning on, ouch! 

Anyway I'll go the same 2-3 Hearts win, for old times sake.

HHGH 

46 minutes ago, GinRummy said:

This has to change if we are to get out of this league. We know it, the Manager knows it. Hope he has the nous to change things.

4 minutes ago, Pilmuir said:

This has to change if we are to get out of this league. We know it, the Manager knows it. Hope he has the nous to change things.

I hope so too. If he doesn’t have the nous then, at a minimum, he has to sign players able  to play the way he wants. This season should not be difficult. 

23 minutes ago, rmreido said:

Was that the 2-3 Hearts win, Clark wi 2 n Robbo wi the other, if it was I crushed ma privates on the metal pole I was leaning on, ouch! 

Anyway I'll go the same 2-3 Hearts win, for old times sake.

HHGH 

I think it was , pissing rain if I remember correctly 

3 hours ago, upgotheheads said:

Given the lack of good wide options we have atm, we should try 4-diamond-2 with Boyce and Wighton up top and Naismith at the tip of the diamond. Halliday and Irving central and Haring holding. You would need width from the full backs which fine because they are our 2 best players so far this season and you would need Boyce, Naismith and Wighton to show a bit more mobility and drag people about. We don’t have aerial power up front anyway so playing with wingers isn’t entirely neccesary

Edited by JimmyCant

Only been to cappielaw once.(I checked London Hearts)13th December 1969.we were 0-2 wi ten minutes to go.Fleming 80 mins,Townsend 81,and Fordy 87.One of the most exciting games.These guys were proper Hearts men.I hope these players of ours really understand what this means to us all.

We have major problems if we don’t see a reaction and performance tomorrow. I’ll be really worried if we set up in the same shape as Alloa and Dunfermline away. We simply have to win. Any form of dropped points is a disaster especially with Dunfermline playing Raith. 

16 minutes ago, norrie1952 said:

Only been to cappielaw once.(I checked London Hearts)13th December 1969.we were 0-2 wi ten minutes to go.Fleming 80 mins,Townsend 81,and Fordy 87.One of the most exciting games.These guys were proper Hearts men.I hope these players of ours really understand what this means to us all.

Was trying to work out if I’d ever been and don’t think I have. Strange because I feel like I’ve been to most grounds in the top few flights. Shithole I am told. 

19 minutes ago, norrie1952 said:

I was there 👍

17 minutes ago, busby1985 said:

We have major problems if we don’t see a reaction and performance tomorrow. I’ll be really worried if we set up in the same shape as Alloa and Dunfermline away. We simply have to win. Any form of dropped points is a disaster especially with Dunfermline playing Raith. 

Can't afford to lose so it will be more of the same : controlled ( ie turgid/ponderous/dull ) football. Maybe nick a 1-0. 

Instead of using a system that is dependent on width and pace, we should play a system that is suited more to no pace and old players

9 minutes ago, jambopilms said:

Instead of using a system that is dependent on width and pace, we should play a system that is suited more to no pace and old players

Which is? 🤔

5 minutes ago, davemclaren said:

Which is? 🤔

Pass the ball sideways and backwards till somebody remembers the point of a football game?

2 hours ago, 3fingersreid said:

I think it was , pissing rain if I remember correctly 

Yep, but Kenny black wi a pen, then robbo n Sandy wi the winner, that was some season, every game that season, home n away, happy days.

We are dreadful, we lack pace and a killer instinct.

Going to be a tough afternoon and I wouldn't be at all surprised if we dropped more points.