On the dole for Christmas

Norm

Don't worry, this isn't going to be too depressing a post. 

But basically the work's redundancy process has finished, there's no alternative job offers and my last pay is Christmas Eve. 

So in an effort to cheer me up, what I'm looking for is JKBs best Christmas Movies 24 style suggestions for what will happen next. 

Over to you JKB... 

I don’t  really know what you mean. But Yosser Hughes a great comic touch under the circumstances. Best of luck in finding a new job👍

Edited by GinRummy

Tenaciousdandy
2 minutes ago, jonesy said:

Neilson gets the bullet in early Jan. You're in as manager.

I've got dibs on the job already, she's not even going to bother telling Neilson just unveil me to my adoring fans he could be my assistant tho lol 

Edited by Dandyman79

If the OP is looking for Christmas film recommendations to cheer him up then "The Bishop's Wife" is the answer. 

B&W, 1947, starring Cary Grant, David Niven and Loretta Young. Lovely old movie that we watch every Christmas. 

If not, I've no idea what the OP means. 😁

Governor Tarkin
1 hour ago, jonesy said:

Neilson gets the bullet in early Jan. You're in as manager.

Jonesy kens. 👍

5 hours ago, Norm said:

Don't worry, this isn't going to be too depressing a post. 

But basically the work's redundancy process has finished, there's no alternative job offers and my last pay is Christmas Eve. 

So in an effort to cheer me up, what I'm looking for is JKBs best Christmas Movies 24 style suggestions for what will happen next. 

Over to you JKB... 

Thats crap Norm It must be very unsettling. I was lucky .Left school at age 15 and had the choice of apprenticeships for Engineering Electrician,Joiner,Plumber,Decorator or Printing and those choices came with very little of qualifications.I chose Printing and I was involved with Printing till I retired at age 60 4 years ago How lucky was that

I really feel for younger folk now For those who want to work it must be hard to make the right choices

Well one thing those days have in common with these strange times is that Hearts are shite again

All the best pal Hope you get something sorted soon

2 hours ago, Morgan said:

So, you’re not a barman any longer?

I have a confession. I haven't been a barman for over 10 years! 

For those confused, you know the extremely formulaic, shitty x-mas TV movies that are popular on chanel 5 just now? Where there's normally some widowed father or some wifey having a job crisis but it all gets saved in a cheesy as **** way for Christmas? 

I was basically looking for the JKB equivalent of what that might be for this situation. 

2 hours ago, Norm said:

I have a confession. I haven't been a barman for over 10 years! 

For those confused, you know the extremely formulaic, shitty x-mas TV movies that are popular on chanel 5 just now? Where there's normally some widowed father or some wifey having a job crisis but it all gets saved in a cheesy as **** way for Christmas? 

I was basically looking for the JKB equivalent of what that might be for this situation. 

Mrs Miracle. 

53 minutes ago, BarneyBattles said:

My dad was the same, was a printer for 45 years (he'd be 74 now so 10 years older than you). He hated it mind but the pay was quite good. 

As for Christmas films, Holiday Inn surely?

Just now, otterjohn said:

Do you know where your Dad worked Barney I must have been lucky I worked for only 2 companies and the pay and pensions were really good hence retiring from work at age 60 to help my wife a bit with our foster children Working was much easier

33 minutes ago, BarneyBattles said:

Have sent you a PM mate. 

Barney sorry as you will see im new to this and don't even know how to open a PM

Coincidentally my Dads Godfather was Barney Battles who played for Hearts or so he told me

Carl Fredrickson

It has to be Its A Wonderful Life. Missed opportunities by trying to "do the right thing", feeling low and desperate, world seems to be falling in on you, start the slide into self pity then out of nowhere a trainee angel appears to grant you a wish. 

Will not spoil the ending for folk that havent seen it. 

PS hope things pick up for you Norm but at least you arent involved in the bitching and politics of who gets Christmas off and who has to work. 

Opened this thread expecting to see a 'comedy' version of Driving Home For Christmas. Maybe you could use your time to do that, get it viral and become an influencer.

13 minutes ago, Sooperstar said:

Opened this thread expecting to see a 'comedy' version of Driving Home For Christmas. Maybe you could use your time to do that, get it viral and become an influencer.

Strangely enough, I have actually been singing "On the dole for Christmas" to that. 

Along with "It's on the dole for Christmas, it's Christmas on the dole" to the "Rock and Roll Christmas" tune.