SkyQ

davemclaren

Sky are offering me this at £10 a month extra from my current subscription. Currently have sky+ in the living room and also an extra sky+ box in my den.

Not sure what else SkyQ gives me and whether it is worth another tenner a month?

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• davemclaren

• IronJambo

• Dazo

• Ribble

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

23 minutes ago, davemclaren said:

Sky are offering me this at £10 a month extra from my current subscription. Currently have sky+ in the living room and also an extra sky+ box in my den.

Not sure what else SkyQ gives me and whether it is worth another tenner a month?

Id imagine its £10 a month as you no longer own the box. Its another subscription service. Sky used to often charge even new customers to buy the box initially. Do you have hd just now or still old sd?

Just now, Do The Dance said:

Id imagine its £10 a month as you no longer own the box. Its another subscription service. Sky used to often charge even new customers to buy the box initially. Do you have hd just now or still old sd?

HD. 

what is in SKyQ that is worth £10 a month. It’s the same channels? 🤷🏼‍♂️

19 minutes ago, Nunya Business said:

Is Google down? I'd have thought that would be a fairly quick question to find an answer for.

I’ve read it and I’m still not clear of the benefits that make it worth paying extra so looking for that extra bit of insight. Your response wasn’t it, as per usual. 🤷🏼‍♂️

The Hogfather
9 minutes ago, davemclaren said:

I’ve read it and I’m still not clear of the benefits that make it worth paying extra so looking for that extra bit of insight. Your response wasn’t it, as per usual. 🤷🏼‍♂️

I see what you mean. The website is so cryptic :laugh: 

https://www.sky.com/shop/tv/sky-q

The Hogfather
3 minutes ago, davemclaren said:

So...do you recommend or not? 🤔

You're not looking for my insight. But I'm sure Google also has these things called 'reviews' you could try and decipher?

3 minutes ago, Nunya Business said:

You're not looking for my insight. But I'm sure Google also has these things called 'reviews' you could try and decipher?

Thanks. 

Tenaciousdandy

Sky q looks a look clearer and crisp lso incorporates apps like netflix and Spotify if you have them, the voice search can be handy 

There was a guy on here that works for sky and was giving out discount codes, shour it was called friends and family codes, give him a look up and maybe drop him  a pm for some advice, might even be able to give you a better deal lol 

The main benefit is just the upgrade, similar to upgrading an old phone. Sky+ was so slow and temperamental for me. More storage. Small box. Extra boxes work as WiFi boosters. Very smooth. Faster transit between sections i.e live TV/Recordings/Sky Store or whatever. You don't own the box so if it packs in or plays up you just get a replacement. 

There's probably more, it's been a while since I had it so the above is based on a few years ago.

7 minutes ago, Smack said:

The main benefit is just the upgrade, similar to upgrading an old phone. Sky+ was so slow and temperamental for me. More storage. Small box. Extra boxes work as WiFi boosters. Very smooth. Faster transit between sections i.e live TV/Recordings/Sky Store or whatever. You don't own the box so if it packs in or plays up you just get a replacement. 

There's probably more, it's been a while since I had it so the above is based on a few years ago.

Cheers. 

8 minutes ago, Smack said:

I’m in the middle of a contract so don’t think I qualify. 

Tenaciousdandy
6 minutes ago, davemclaren said:

Pretty sure you can renew to a different deal at any point with sky I've done it, does mean a new 18/24 month contract, its leaving that is the difficult thing is the almost impossible to do during your contract 

8 minutes ago, Dandyman79 said:

Pretty sure you can renew to a different deal at any point with sky I've done it, does mean a new 18/24 month contract, its leaving that is the difficult thing is the almost impossible to do during your contract 

Ah, thanks. 

Tenaciousdandy
10 minutes ago, davemclaren said:

Ah, thanks. 

No probs, as I said there was a guy on here offering discounts, I'm assuming he's a sale advisor for sky, could say to him if he doesn't give you the deal of the century he's banned from jkb for life 😂

3 minutes ago, Dandyman79 said:

No probs, as I said there was a guy on here offering discounts, I'm assuming he's a sale advisor for sky, could say to him if he doesn't give you the deal of the century he's banned from jkb for life 😂

:sadrobbo:

3 hours ago, davemclaren said:

You've missed the boat terribly here. You probably could've upgraded your package with the black Friday deals that just ended.

I had a basic package on sky+ that we managed to turn into pretty much everything (netflix also)on sky q with multi room for an extra £7pm. I was initially looking to add sky sports for an extra £15.

Sky Q's a no brainer for me now, with most content in UHD and HDR content on the increase its starting to make the most of normal tellies. The mini sky q box for multi room is tiny which let us velcro it to the wall in a bracket behind the TV in the bedroom.

12 minutes ago, IronJambo said:

You've missed the boat terribly here. You probably could've upgraded your package with the black Friday deals that just ended.

I had a basic package on sky+ that we managed to turn into pretty much everything (netflix also)on sky q with multi room for an extra £7pm. I was initially looking to add sky sports for an extra £15.

Sky Q's a no brainer for me now, with most content in UHD and HDR content on the increase its starting to make the most of normal tellies. The mini sky q box for multi room is tiny which let us velcro it to the wall in a bracket behind the TV in the bedroom.

Such is life. 😎

5 hours ago, davemclaren said:

Let me check what’s available when I log in in the morning!

Main benefits of SkyQ are

Mini box acts as a WiFi booster as does the main Q box so it’s almost like having 3 routers spread around the house

Q router has 2.4 and 5 MHz bandwidths

You can pause what you are watching on the main box and continue where you left off on mini box and vice verse

upgraded remote with voice search

much improved ui and improved viewing learning eg improved suggested shows based on what you watch

auto download of next 2 episodes when watching box sets

you can record more channels at the same time

integration of Netflix app so both sky and Netflix appear in search results

Also any new improvements will only come with Q

13 minutes ago, Ribble said:

Mini box acts as a WiFi booster as does the main Q box so it’s almost like having 3 routers spread around the house

You can pause what you are watching on the main box and continue where you left off on mini box and vice verse

much improved ui and improved viewing learning eg improved suggested shows based on what you watch

Cheers. 

You’ll need to keep in mind the distance between the main box and the mini as they need to communicate for the mini to work. He wanted to add a booster in the middle of the house to get ours to work which of course the wife point blank refused. 🙄

14 hours ago, Ribble said:

I recently upgraded from Sky+ to Sky Q and agree with everything above with the exception of the underlined item. I found that the old UI had much more single key functions, whereas with Sky Q you need to jump around the menus much more to achieve the same thing.

My main gripe is that the whole TV Guide station/time display will move up and down the screen rather than the 'cursor' moving.  For example, looking at BBC1 on the guide, and then move the 'cursor' to BBC2. The whole guide moves up to show BBC2 on the top line with BBC1 now missing from the screen. Does my tits in...

Edited by Hugh Phamism

15 hours ago, Ribble said:

I'll be honest, this irritates the shite out of me. It basically clogs up the wi-fi channels and weakens the signals. Is there any way to turn the boosters off?

7 hours ago, Dazo said:

You’ll need to keep in mind the distance between the main box and the mini as they need to communicate for the mini to work. He wanted to add a booster in the middle of the house to get ours to work which of course the wife point blank refused. 🙄

13 minutes ago, IronJambo said:

I'll be honest, this irritates the shite out of me. It basically clogs up the wi-fi channels and weakens the signals. Is there any way to turn the boosters off?

These two replies answer some of my questions I had on Sky Q, because I'd have multiroom, but the main box & the mini would have been at opposite ends of the house and on a different level as well.  I had wondered about the wifi signal which isn't the greatest as it is (hence why I'm desperate on 5G coming here).

I think I'll just stick for the time being with Sky+ and everything hardwired.

1 hour ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

These two replies answer some of my questions I had on Sky Q, because I'd have multiroom, but the main box & the mini would have been at opposite ends of the house and on a different level as well.  I had wondered about the wifi signal which isn't the greatest as it is (hence why I'm desperate on 5G coming here).

I think I'll just stick for the time being with Sky+ and everything hardwired.

The mini can be hard wired also if that is your concern. That was the route we went down. 

Another note is in my experience Sky Q can be a little temperamental and decide to lose its internet connection for no reason.  

Dean Winchester
2 hours ago, IronJambo said:

You can disable the WiFi and plug an ethernet connection in or disable the mesh network if you still want it over WiFi. I think it's the 2.4GHz one you need to disable.

Also this is in the hidden menu. Highlight settings but don't click OK, press 0, 0, 1 then select and it'll take you to the installation menu.

Edited by Dean Winchester

2 hours ago, IronJambo said:

Another option is to replace your Sky Hub with a non-Sky Router, as the Sky mesh network service only works with a Sky Hub.

Sky Q’s decent but there are known issues around WiFi drops for non-Sky ISPs (there’s a huge thread about it on the sky forums). It happened fairly often for me then, when I installed mesh WiFi, it was happening every day. Wired it into one of the mesh WiFi hubs and it’s been fine since then but still a pain in the arse. 

1 hour ago, Dazo said:

The mini can be hard wired also if that is your concern. That was the route we went down. 

Another note is in my experience Sky Q can be a little temperamental and decide to lose its internet connection for no reason.  

That's good to know 👍

Tenaciousdandy
1 hour ago, Dazo said:

We've had that issue a lot, te remote is also cheap crap compared to the old sky + ones 

I quite like my Sky Q but have only one gripe, albeit a minor one. When I had the old HD box if you pressed record it would only record one episode and you would have to press another button to record the series. With Sky Q it assumes that you want the whole series which is a problem when the kids are recording something on the kids channels and they have about a thousand episodes per series! Also when recording said programme it will start recording all episodes regardless of series if you don't unchecked it. To be honest I'm probably being a right biff and missing something obvious!

Edited by Statts1976uk

1 hour ago, Zico said:

Sky Q’s decent but there are known issues around WiFi drops for non-Sky ISPs (there’s a huge thread about it on the sky forums). It happened fairly often for me then, when I installed mesh WiFi, it was happening every day. Wired it into one of the mesh WiFi hubs and it’s been fine since then but still a pain in the arse. 

Interesting. My Sky (HD not Q) hasn't worked as well since I ditched their internet and went with Hyperoptic. I often get downloads/recorded programmes failing. I thought it was because my HD box is getting old...

45 minutes ago, Spellczech said:

Interesting. My Sky (HD not Q) hasn't worked as well since I ditched their internet and went with Hyperoptic. I often get downloads/recorded programmes failing. I thought it was because my HD box is getting old...

More technically minded folk than me on the threads I read after getting pissed off to **** with it reckon it’s because SkyQ gets confused with whether to connect to the 2.4ghz or 5ghz channel so drops. Was doing my nut in putting in the password every day. No issues since connecting by Ethernet to one of my Eeros but annoying that I had to buy another one to resolve it. Something sky need to fix. 

3 hours ago, Dean Winchester said:

You can disable the WiFi and plug an ethernet connection in or disable the mesh network if you still want it over WiFi. I think it's the 2.4GHz one you need to disable.

Also this is in the hidden menu. Highlight settings but don't click OK, press 0, 0, 1 then select and it'll take you to the installation menu.

Cheers Dean, I'll look at this when I get a chance. Might be trial and error as I've a bad feeling that the sky q mini box feeds from the main box through one of these connections? I'm hoping it feeds off the router I only really want WiFi through my router as I've got a powerline adapter in it to give me ethernet in other rooms and better WiFi in the far reaches. The WiFi boosting function seems to mess up my WiFi powerline adapters signal and it gives me two pointless WiFi signals. 

On 03/12/2020 at 17:17, davemclaren said:

I waited till my present deal was up and got it cheaper same channels and an upgrade to sky Q from sky+ box.  Plenty room to negotiate with Sky Dave 👍

2 hours ago, stevie1874 said:

I waited till my present deal was up and got it cheaper same channels and an upgrade to sky Q from sky+ box.  Plenty room to negotiate with Sky Dave 👍

I’ve gone for it and it’s cheaper than my current HD deal for all the same channels. No doubt I’ll regret it when it arrives, for some reason. 😩

18 hours ago, Dean Winchester said:

Apologies for quoting you twice but this seems to have worked with no adverse effect on my mini box, at least not that I've noticed yet.

My WiFi is hugely improved as a consequence 👍

Dean Winchester
25 minutes ago, IronJambo said:

Apologies for quoting you twice but this seems to have worked with no adverse effect on my mini box, at least not that I've noticed yet.

My WiFi is hugely improved as a consequence 👍

Good to hear :thumbsup:

13 hours ago, HMFC4LIFE said:

Is there any deals going about for new customers for Sky? 

Yes PM me with your email.

On 04/12/2020 at 14:40, Hugh Phamism said:

I recently upgraded from Sky+ to Sky Q and agree with everything above with the exception of the underlined item. I found that the old UI had much more single key functions, whereas with Sky Q you need to jump around the menus much more to achieve the same thing.

My main gripe is that the whole TV Guide station/time display will move up and down the screen rather than the 'cursor' moving.  For example, looking at BBC1 on the guide, and then move the 'cursor' to BBC2. The whole guide moves up to show BBC2 on the top line with BBC1 now missing from the screen. Does my tits in...

I agree, I much preferred the look from the old box.  You can page down using the up/down arrows middle right of the remote which is slightly better.

22 hours ago, davemclaren said:

I’ve gone for it and it’s cheaper than my current HD deal for all the same channels. No doubt I’ll regret it when it arrives, for some reason. 😩

if its cheaper its a win win. Enjoy.

On 05/12/2020 at 12:49, Dean Winchester said:

Good to hear :thumbsup:

Yes PM me with your email.

Hi Dean, anything for new customers still on?

I see Prime Video is now available through the Sky Q box. Makes things a lot easier for folk like me who don't have a smart telly. 

Samuel Camazzola
On 14/12/2020 at 12:04, Dean Winchester said:

Yes still the 35% off. PM me with your name/email.

Hello Dean. Do you happen to know if additional mini boxes are ever granted for free? My VIP displays a one can be ordered for £50. I have one extra one at present and subscribe to the full package plus Netflix, phone and interweb. Was wondering if extra boxes are ever issued for nowt. 👍 

Dean Winchester
44 minutes ago, Samuel Camazzola said:

Hello Dean. Do you happen to know if additional mini boxes are ever granted for free? My VIP displays a one can be ordered for £50. I have one extra one at present and subscribe to the full package plus Netflix, phone and interweb. Was wondering if extra boxes are ever issued for nowt. 👍 

Not that I'm aware. I've seen offers of £30 before... Best bet is to probably phone and see if an agent can do anything better but I think it's probably unlikely.