Problem with (new) radiator & valve

Konrad von Carstein

Konrad von Carstein

Just had a new radiator & valve (Drayton TRV4) fitted...the issue we have is that the radiator is not heating up, the pipework and valve connection into the rad are v warm but the rad itself is barely lukewarm.

I have bled the system, turned all the other radiators in the house to the lowest heat and left it running on its own for the past 4 hours.

Any of you in the trade have any thoughts on what could be causing this and is it fixable by an amateur (me) before trying to get the plumber back to the house? 

At the end of the day I'll have him back here if it's not easily fixed but was hoping to avoid the hassle.

Can you swap the valves between a radiator that works and the one you are having issues with? Should easily unscrew. That might help diagnose if it is the valve or as posted above the end of the radiator it is on

Konrad von Carstein
1 hour ago, Gulpener said:

Is the valve at the other end of the radiator open?

Its a pin thing that moves freely enough...

1 hour ago, Mark_Mywords said:

This, or maybe the valve pin is stuck.

Again this appears to be moving freely

31 minutes ago, milky_26 said:

Can you swap the valves between a radiator that works and the one you are having issues with? Should easily unscrew. That might help diagnose if it is the valve or as posted above the end of the radiator it is on

No its the first in the removation plan, all other rads have an eclectic mix of thermostatic valves.

I have since been on the phone and someone is coming round tomorrow...
Thanks for taking the time to respond...

If none of the above suggestions work it could be an airlock. You can clear these with a hose. Couple of decent videos on YouTube to talk you through it. 

is it an additional radiator or a replacement? If it’s an additional radiator it may be it’s too many radiators for your boiler to heat. Especially if it’s furthest from the boiler

sorry Just seen your update!

Edited by flogel41
Missed new post

We have a radiator in our bedroom that never goes more than mildly warm. Tried to bleed it but seems fine. 

The odd thing is that the pipe at the non thermostat side feels very hot and the pipe coming through the  thermostat is not. Could it be fitted the wrong way round or is the thermostat dodgy? 🤷🏼‍♂️

Howdy Doody Jambo

I've got the same problemoh, put in a new system and boiler last month, the heating engineer has been back on Monday, farted about with an Allen key then said it should be fine, will have to get him back again as 3 radiators upstairs aren't heating up properly although I'm thinking it could be due to an old bathroom radiator which is being changed shortly which could be blocking the system flow 

15 minutes ago, davemclaren said:

We have a radiator in our bedroom that never goes more than mildly warm. Tried to bleed it but seems fine. 

The odd thing is that the pipe at the non thermostat side feels very hot and the pipe coming through the  thermostat is not. Could it be fitted the wrong way round or is the thermostat dodgy? 🤷🏼‍♂️

If the radiators are quite old its probably the pin on the thermostat that's sticking?

9 minutes ago, Jambo314 said:

If the radiators are quite old its probably the pin on the thermostat that's sticking?

Radiator is 25 years old. Will give the pin a wee tap/shoogle. 

21 minutes ago, davemclaren said:

Radiator is 25 years old. Will give the pin a wee tap/shoogle. 

If that doesn't resolve the issue a power flush may be required as there may be a build of gunge in radiator?

7 minutes ago, Jambo314 said:

If that doesn't resolve the issue a power flush may be required as there may be a build of gunge in radiator?

Thanks. That sounds expensive. 🥴

Just now, davemclaren said:

Thanks. That sounds expensive. 🥴

It's not cheap, had it done about 5 years ago, approx £350 but it will be depend on size of house/how many radiators. Scottish Gas quoted more than double that🙄 

4 minutes ago, Jambo314 said:

It's not cheap, had it done about 5 years ago, approx £350 but it will be depend on size of house/how many radiators. Scottish Gas quoted more than double that🙄 

Yip, they quoted me about £700 a few years back then decided I didn’t need it, thankfully.