Old Android tablet

jonesy

A relative recently gave me their old Samsung Galaxy Tablet. It's about 8 years old and runs Android Jellybean. 

I was hoping to stick it on the wall in the kitchen to use as a digital radio, but things like BBC Sounds won't download on the old OS. Even downloading the APK files and trying to install manually won't work. 

Is there any way to manually download and install a newer Android OS (or are there any alternative tablet OSes) for an old tablet, and would it work on the old hardware?

18 minutes ago, jonesy said:

A relative recently gave me their old Samsung Galaxy Tablet. It's about 8 years old and runs Android Jellybean. 

I was hoping to stick it on the wall in the kitchen to use as a digital radio, but things like BBC Sounds won't download on the old OS. Even downloading the APK files and trying to install manually won't work. 

Is there any way to manually download and install a newer Android OS (or are there any alternative tablet OSes) for an old tablet, and would it work on the old hardware?

Not sure what BBC Sounds is but will it not install Tunein Radio app?

You'd maybe be better off just buying an Alexa Echo or Google Nest instead.

29 minutes ago, hughesie27 said:

Not sure what BBC Sounds is but will it not install Tunein Radio app?

You'd maybe be better off just buying an Alexa Echo or Google Nest instead.

It's the BBC Radio iPlayer.

The whole point of this was to make use of the old tablet, rather than buy something new, but cheers anyway.

Just now, jonesy said:

It's the BBC Radio iPlayer.

The whole point of this was to make use of the old tablet, rather than buy something new, but cheers anyway.

Aye I get the 2nd half recycling thing. I just think that any solution you might find may be not worth the time when a fairly cheap and certainly better sounding option is there.

I'd maybe try set it up in a permanent position on a wall or something as use it as a YouTube player or something.

You can still just use the tablet and Google BBC radio station and play it from the website? Then connect to Bluetooth speaker or whatever or just have the sound from the tablet?

3 minutes ago, AndyNic said:

You can still just use the tablet and Google BBC radio station and play it from the website? Then connect to Bluetooth speaker or whatever or just have the sound from the tablet?

Yeah - did that but it doesn't play as smoothly as I'd hoped. The browser is also well out of date and again, won't update :( 

23 minutes ago, milky_26 said:

Try installing a custom ROM on it. Google the model number of it and search for custom ROMs there are forums/guides out there

Cheers. Have installed OSes - to Linux - on laptops, but never on tablets/mobiles. Also got an old Motorola phone kicking about that could do with a new OS on it to keep up to date. 

Is it much harder than doing a laptop/PC installation?

Just now, jonesy said:

Cheers. Have installed OSes - to Linux - on laptops, but never on tablets/mobiles. Also got an old Motorola phone kicking about that could do with a new OS on it to keep up to date. 

Is it much harder than doing a laptop/PC installation?

Never tried it, I image it would be download the OS then just run it.

One other thing to try, the APK files you tried to install was it the latest version or an older version?

Try getting an older version here 

https://bbc-sounds.en.aptoide.com/versions

21 minutes ago, jonesy said:

Yeah - did that but it doesn't play as smoothly as I'd hoped. The browser is also well out of date and again, won't update :( 

Clear to factory settings and download new browser.

Edited by Harry Potter
6 hours ago, Harry Potter said:

Clear to factory settings and download new browser.

Done that already, HP, cheers. The problem is simply the age of the tablet and that it doesn't receive updates anymore. Just looking to do them manually rather than rely on manufacturer updates (which take the tablet into about mid-2013!).

6 hours ago, milky_26 said:

Never tried it, I image it would be download the OS then just run it.

One other thing to try, the APK files you tried to install was it the latest version or an older version?

Try getting an older version here 

https://bbc-sounds.en.aptoide.com/versions

Hmm...interesting. I already tried APK Pure, but the app wouldn't install (something to do with parsing?!). Will try these and report back, cheers.

2 hours ago, jonesy said:

Done that already, HP, cheers. The problem is simply the age of the tablet and that it doesn't receive updates anymore. Just looking to do them manually rather than rely on manufacturer updates (which take the tablet into about mid-2013!).

👍

22 hours ago, jonesy said:

I suppose your tablet is to out of date for an app likr Radio Garden?  Lets you go anywhere in world to listen to local stations by moving on a globe.

They put an ad up each time you change channel although for £2.09 pm it's ad free.

Just checked it just now, I'm not paying the monthly fee 

Screenshot_20201203-204422_Radio Garden.jpg

14 hours ago, DETTY29 said:

I suppose your tablet is to out of date for an app likr Radio Garden?  Lets you go anywhere in world to listen to local stations by moving on a globe.

They put an ad up each time you change channel although for £2.09 pm it's ad free.

Is that you Detty?  would:levein_interesting:

20 hours ago, DETTY29 said:

Will be sure to change stations frequently. :)