Police investigation into St Mirren finances

LeftBack

5 minutes ago, wavydavy said:

I am not sure anyone other than Police Scotland and St Mirren know what the Police involvemnt is.

The report I read suggested that it was St Mirren who actually notifed the Police & HMRC.

I would imagine they have done that to make things look as good as possible for them in the circumstances in that they will be seen to have done the right thing once they became aware of whatever the problem is.

It may well be that Police Scotland look at it and say move on nothing for us here!!  It could be totally diifferent of course and they may investigate further and charges could be brought.

But that is just speculation which is what most of these posts are on this read.

So nobody really knows what has or will happen at this point.

Agreed mate.  Just hope that it leads to their demise.

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• wavydavy

• Hagar the Horrible

• Wee Mikey

• JamboAl

wentworth jambo
2 hours ago, Spellczech said:

"His mother told police that her son had always enjoyed the high life.

"It always had to be the best of gear," she said.

"With my other son, you could go to Primark and buy him a shirt and he'd be over the moon. With Paul, you'd have to go to Topman."  :facepalm:

AllyjamboDerbyshire
1 hour ago, wavydavy said:

I am not sure anyone other than Police Scotland and St Mirren know what the Police involvemnt is.

The report I read suggested that it was St Mirren who actually notifed the Police & HMRC.

I would imagine they have done that to make things look as good as possible for them in the circumstances in that they will be seen to have done the right thing once they became aware of whatever the problem is.

It may well be that Police Scotland look at it and say move on nothing for us here!!  It could be totally diifferent of course and they may investigate further and charges could be brought.

But that is just speculation which is what most of these posts are on this read.

Your post makes perfect sense and has a sound grip on reality, but I do get the feeling that even without police involvement this development indicates that St Mirren have financial difficulties they did not anticipate, or were hiding from public and, perhaps, SFA/SPFL view.

8 minutes ago, AllyjamboDerbyshire said:

Your post makes perfect sense and has a sound grip on reality, but I do get the feeling that even without police involvement this development indicates that St Mirren have financial difficulties they did not anticipate, or were hiding from public and, perhaps, SFA/SPFL view.

Quite possibly there is fraud involved. It seems to me they've possibly been notified by HMRC of a late payment but the books show the payment was made. The only reason the police would need to be brought in is if there's a criminal element to this ie theft/fraud , else StM could have brought in a forensic accountant to find out where the money is and resolve this. I think also , StM can't pay what's owed and that's why they've informed HMRC ie we need time to pay and it's not our fault. 

1 hour ago, wavydavy said:

Just a guess (for fun) but it sounds like someone has not been lying to HMRC, paying the wrong amount of tax and pocketing the difference for themselves. I like a wee embezzlement case.

(Of course that just pure speculation but hey, I'm allowed to have some fun)

9 hours ago, RobNox said:

That wouldn't warrant (pardon the pun) a police investigation.  I've no idea what it relates to, but would have to be some potential criminal element to it that calls for an investigation.  If you fail to pay tax, VAT or employers NI contributions, HMRC come after you.

Having said that, I concur fully with your concluding comment.

My perfect season would be Hearts promoted and SC winners, St Mirren folded, Rangers prevent Celtic's 10iar, but bankrupt themselves in the process and go into admin / liquidation 2.  Celtic shareholders to spend the next 10 years raising resolutions about how Rangers cheated them out of 10iar, while the money men at the club completely ignore them.

Hector may yet get involved. 

13 minutes ago, Cruyff said:

In one way or another , no doubt. 

As it should be.  Taxation is not just an obligation to be met by honest people.

AllyjamboDerbyshire
2 hours ago, NANOJAMBO said:

Quite possibly there is fraud involved. It seems to me they've possibly been notified by HMRC of a late payment but the books show the payment was made. The only reason the police would need to be brought in is if there's a criminal element to this ie theft/fraud , else StM could have brought in a forensic accountant to find out where the money is and resolve this. I think also , StM can't pay what's owed and that's why they've informed HMRC ie we need time to pay and it's not our fault. 

Only time will tell how much involvement the police have, they may well have already decided that no crime has been committed, but my main point is that regardless of there being any criminality, or not, St Mirren's finances would appear to be much worse than apparent up until now. To me the big question might be, 'did the game's governors know how bad the financial position is/might be, and did they just turn a blind eye, or, will they now take action if it transpires that they were lied to? Should St Mirren have started the season in the Premiership?'

AllyjamboDerbyshire

Oh, and another thing. If St Mirren go into administration as a result of some sort of shenanigans, criminal or not, will the Covid dispensation for a club entering administration count? And that question goes to...Mr Doncaster.

On 02/12/2020 at 12:40, Auldbenches said:

That is probably the most pathetic scottish football image ever.   

But there are SO many to choose from.

20201203_150931.jpg

Dunno if this link has been posted yet but, if taken at face value, then it seems like auditors have highlighted some 'irregularities' that would jeapordise a charitity's involvement in the club and they had no option but to 'come clean', so to speak. Wouldn't be an issue unless someone has been either naughty or negligent. The rest of the article becomes a puff-piece for St Mirren.

https://www.the-gazette.co.uk/news/18914486.police-alerted-financial-irregularities-st-mirren-fc/

3 minutes ago, Wee Mikey said:

But there are SO many to choose from.

20201203_150931.jpg

That's the funniest, and probably my fav, but that Celtic badge on the st Minging stadium is definitely the most pathetic.   They sold for what?  Probably peanuts.   I can't even remember st barsteward fans going daft about it.   

6 minutes ago, Hagar the Horrible said:

£40k fine and 2 x 3-0 defeats handed out, as well as the police probe, fair to say....TAKE YOUR MEDICINE

Is that a confirmed penalty? Link?

4 hours ago, wentworth jambo said:

"His mother told police that her son had always enjoyed the high life.

"With my other son, you could go to Primark and buy him a shirt and he'd be over the moon. With Paul, you'd have to go to Topman."  :facepalm:

Didn't rise to the dizzy heights of 'Stone Island'. 😄

1 hour ago, Wee Mikey said:

Dunno if this link has been posted yet but, if taken at face value, then it seems like auditors have highlighted some 'irregularities' that would jeapordise a charitity's involvement in the club and they had no option but to 'come clean', so to speak. Wouldn't be an issue unless someone has been either naughty or negligent. The rest of the article becomes a puff-piece for St Mirren.

https://www.the-gazette.co.uk/news/18914486.police-alerted-financial-irregularities-st-mirren-fc/

Just a guess but

Charities are not (generally) allowed to trade and have certain exemptions not available to commercial enterprises.  One wonders if they have been gaining illegal advantage, by accident or design, from their link up with the charity.  I hope it's nothing trivial.

4 minutes ago, JamboAl said:

Just a guess but

Charities are not (generally) allowed to trade and have certain exemptions not available to commercial enterprises.  One wonders if they have been gaining illegal advantage, by accident or design, from their link up with the charity.  I hope it's nothing trivial.

My take on it is that the charity have been doing 'due dilligence' and know fine well that they simply cannot be seen to be associated with 'dodgy dealings'. 'Guilty by association' an' aw that. Hence the need for anything untoward getting seen to otherwise they'd perhaps leave themselves open to potential sanctions or simply disenfranchise their other sources of support. Could be a genuine oversight by St Mirren or something more sinister by a rogue individual. Time will tell.

8 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

Hahahahaha 

2A4F06CC-7DC1-49FA-925D-A5C5CF7EAE98.jpeg

Interestintly Hibs gave had a few dealings (2 McGinns and McGennis) in recent years.  Probably just co-incidence.

"Saturday's Scottish Premiership match at Livingston is going ahead as planned with Thomas Courts, the club’s Academy Head of Tactical Performance Coach taking traininig on Thursday and Friday, supported by other academy staff." 

😀   I think I have seen this before.  I refer to St mirren.   I will be watching and waiting for further revealing intricacies. 

8 hours ago, everton_jambo said:

Is there a connection/reason you posted this? Not being funny or anything, it’s just I know of the guy!

Oil States were a client of mine - actually the only one that stuck by me and gave me work after March. I was there when the court case happened

Edited by Spellczech

6 minutes ago, Spellczech said:

Oil States were a client of mine - actually the only one that stuck by me and gave me work after March. I was there when the court case happened

Love this quote

His mother told police that her son had always enjoyed the high life.

"With my other son, you could go to Primark and buy him a shirt and he'd be over the moon. With Paul, you'd have to go to Topman."

:facepalm:

22 minutes ago, Spellczech said:

Ah I see. He was PM of the development we were moving into when (unknown to us) the case was going on, didn’t come across as a bad guy but a total blagger. We just hadn’t realised the scale of it!

The topman quote lives long in the memory

20 hours ago, Wee Mikey said:

My take on it is that the charity have been doing 'due dilligence' and know fine well that they simply cannot be seen to be associated with 'dodgy dealings'. 'Guilty by association' an' aw that. Hence the need for anything untoward getting seen to otherwise they'd perhaps leave themselves open to potential sanctions or simply disenfranchise their other sources of support. Could be a genuine oversight by St Mirren or something more sinister by a rogue individual. Time will tell.

Maybe St Mirren are “looking after” the Bank of Englands £50bn in notes that they have “lost” for them

Dusk_Till_Dawn

Bottom of the table

:pleasing:

Liquidation beckons. Even more

For any journos looking in who are thinking about quoting us on their websites again, suck my sweaty bawsack.

3 minutes ago, Dusk_Till_Dawn said:

Bottom of the table

For any journos looking in who are thinking about quoting us on their websites again, suck my sweaty bawsack.

And Hamilton going bust.  Happy Sunday.  

4 minutes ago, Dusk_Till_Dawn said:

Bottom of the table

They can quote me as I will be the man with the longest continuous stauner in history

4 minutes ago, Dusk_Till_Dawn said:

Bottom of the table

They can quote me as I will be the man with the longest continuous stauner in history