Top Posters In This Topic

• Mikey1874

• SectionDJambo

• NANOJAMBO

• Morgan

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

2 hours ago, NANOJAMBO said:

I'm confused  - that's some Hearts support, the TV cameras are on the half way line.  Did Hibs also have the Dunbar end at that time ? 

Believe it or not there was a time when there was no such thing as segregation at the football and this game was of that time. 

No many teams could beat Ajax in the 70's, nevermind feckin Hibs. Tell your pal to stop speaking to his crackpipe, it's obviously lying to him. 

Edited by Cruyff

I've never met a Hibby I haven't fallen out with.

The op's acquaintance appears to be typical of their kind.

Unquantifiable pish about flair, swashbuckling, Euro trailblazing etc. but, when you question it, they look at you like you've blasphemed. 

Scrape them off, man. Don't waste another valuable moment of your life attempting to reason with them. 

It can't be done. 

In the 70s Ajax were too busy dominating Europe to worry about diddies like Hibs.  Having said that Hibs did have some decent results in the Fairs Cup (old europa league cup).  They had a 0-0 draw at home (or might have been away) v Leeds and a 1-0 win at home v Liverpool.  They ultimately lost both ties.    We have our own bragging rights, in 89 we beat Bayern Munich 1-0 at Tynie and more recenlty we drew 1-1 at Anfield where it took a late Suarez goal to take Liverpool through.

Edited by TexasAndy

30 minutes ago, TexasAndy said:

In the 70s Ajax were too busy dominating Europe to worry about diddies like Hibs.  Having said that Hibs did have some decent results in the Fairs Cup (old europa league cup).  They had a 0-0 draw at home (or might have been away) v Leeds and a 1-0 win at home v Liverpool.  They ultimately lost both ties.    We have our own bragging rights, in 89 we beat Bayern Munich 1-0 at Tynie and more recenlty we drew 1-1 at Anfield where it took a late Suarez goal to take Liverpool through.

The Fairs Cup was a bit of oddness for most of its history that let teams feel better about themselves if they didn’t actually qualify for Europe the normal way. 

11 hours ago, martoon said:

I've never met a Hibby I haven't fallen out with.

The op's acquaintance appears to be typical of their kind.

Unquantifiable pish about flair, swashbuckling, Euro trailblazing etc. but, when you question it, they look at you like you've blasphemed. 

Scrape them off, man. Don't waste another valuable moment of your life attempting to reason with them. 

It can't be done. 

They have delusions of grandeur like no other support.  Imagine how bad it would be if they had beaten US 5-1 in a cup final!!

1 hour ago, TexasAndy said:

They have delusions of grandeur like no other support.  Imagine how bad it would be if they had beaten US 5-1 in a cup final!!

Something real? 

Not sure how they'd have dealt with that. 

Meaningless, unquantifiable p15h is they're goto for bragging rights.

The "Euro trailblazing" is a prime example. It's a footnote in the history of Scottish football, if that, but they've made an Everest-like mountain of that particular mole hill.

A Hibs.nut recently suggested that a retrospective trophy and set of medals would be an appropriate way to mark their triumph. 🏆😂

• davemclaren changed the title to Ajax
18 hours ago, Hairdryer said:

Did Hibernian beat Ajax in the European cup in the 70s.my friend said they did I have my doubts.

Is you're friend a betting man perchance ??

SectionDJambo

Hibs did have a decent record in Europe in the 60s and early 70s, but so did a few Scottish clubs. It wasn't anything like unique to them.

Dundee, Dunfermline Athletic and Kilmarnock had decent records in Europe.

They go on about European football of the time being full of elite clubs. It wasn't unusual for Scandinavian teams to lose by big margins, and Dutch football only really emerged from the 70s, with Feyenoord becoming European champions by beating Celtic. That result was regarded as a major shock, mainly through ignorance of what was going on in the old "minnow" countries, by changing their coaching and development of young players.

The bogey for us was the old Inter Cities Fairs Cup rule of one club per city qualifying. But that changed with the UEFA Cup. 

1 hour ago, martoon said:

Something real? 

Not sure how they'd have dealt with that. 

Meaningless, unquantifiable p15h is they're goto for bragging rights.

The "Euro trailblazing" is a prime example. It's a footnote in the history of Scottish football, if that, but they've made an Everest-like mountain of that particular mole hill.

A Hibs.nut recently suggested that a retrospective trophy and set of medals would be an appropriate way to mark their triumph. 🏆😂

Actual?

:greggy: 

Doctor FinnBarr
19 hours ago, SectionDJambo said:

That will be before segregation. 1972, I think. There will be Hibs fans in there too. Hibs fans did tend to have the Dunbar End to themselves. The other end had a structure which was known as The Cave, where Hearts and Hibs fans generally shouted abuse at each other and did the odd advance into the other’s territory. 
All good, clean fun.

It was a fairly big ground before they took away the top level of the main terracing.

"The Cave" certainly wasn't good clean fun when Hearts fans charged in near the end of an EOS cup final when Busby was sent off. Certain we were limited to the Dunbar End that day too so maybe 76?

8 hours ago, TexasAndy said:

Hibs drew 0-0 both games and lost on pens to Leeds. I was at the home leg and it was some game and against a top Leeds side.  I got lifted over by my uncle (Hibs fan) who refused to pay the outrageous entry fee of 50P after Hibs decided to cash in on the game. Massive crowd and loads of fighting between the Hobos that night.

Doctor FinnBarr
5 minutes ago, NANOJAMBO said:

Hibs drew 0-0 both games and lost on pens to Leeds. I was at the home leg and it was some game and against a top Leeds side.  I got lifted over by my uncle (Hibs fan) who refused to pay the outrageous entry fee of 50P after Hibs decided to cash in on the game. Massive crowd and loads of fighting between the Hobos that night.

Nowt really changes then.

4 minutes ago, FinnBarr Saunders said:

Nowt really changes then.

It was common in the 70s. I went to their LC semi at Tynecastle against Falkirk and there was loads going on. Plus ca change, mon ami. 

SectionDJambo
23 minutes ago, FinnBarr Saunders said:

"The Cave" certainly wasn't good clean fun when Hearts fans charged in near the end of an EOS cup final when Busby was sent off. Certain we were limited to the Dunbar End that day too so maybe 76?

I remember that. Some Hearts fans left the Dunbar Road end and walked round the outside of the ground and came back in through the open gates at the opposite end of the ground.

Mayhem ensued. 
Didn’t realise that it was just an East of Scotland Shield match. I do remember John Lambie attacking Drew Busby when he ran on to treat Arthur Duncan, as the Hibs physio.

I was part of a group of guys who, a few years later, asked Drew about his sending off incident. He said he regretted it as he had been a bit naughty.

20 hours ago, Riccarton3 said:

My mate thinks Hibs are Barry. Is this true?

From the Archives: Barry White, 58; Singer's Seductive Voice Led to a  String of R&B Hits - Los Angeles Times

:icon14:

Or Derek, if you prefer:

image.jpeg.156e35246357fcbb0cf8349c168ee119.jpeg

Edited by Auld Reekin'

Segregation came in circa 1978/79. I was in the old east terrace Oct/Nov 76 whe Rab Prentice scored late in the game down the slope for a 1-1 draw. 

20 hours ago, NANOJAMBO said:

That's the 74/5 season and I was going to games then but I can't remember when Jambos got punted in the Dunbar end. 

Lot's of "fun" on the terraces at that time. 

The strip was 72/73

Age plays tricks :lol:

Just now, NANOJAMBO said:

Yeah as I say, I googled it. FFS :facepalm:

I know sorry. I was just about to edit my post, but had to go the toilet. Everything just seems to take longer these days.

21 hours ago, leginten said:

Hibs did make it into the 2013-4 Europa League qualifiers, though.

Can’t remember how they got on.

A Swedish noir!

1 minute ago, Tommy Brown said:

I know sorry. I was just about to edit my post, but had to go the toilet. Everything just seems to take longer these days.

I was referring to my bad memory 😄 not your post. 

1 minute ago, NANOJAMBO said:

I was referring to my bad memory 😄 not your post. 

I know, just saying my memory is still not bad, unfortunately my bladder needs emptied constantly.:whistling:

21 hours ago, Riccarton3 said:

My mate thinks Hibs are Barry. Is this true?

Yes. But only if he/she means Barry White.

SectionDJambo
14 minutes ago, Stanley_ said:

Very impressive record. Three wins in the last 30 years...

Remember they brought out a video of their tie against AEK Athens, after losing the tie. 

27 minutes ago, Stanley_ said:

Very impressive record. Three wins in the last 30 years...

If you look at the overall record, a large chunk of their games and wins were in the Fairs Cup which wasn't a UEFA tournament, so not even official matches.

14 minutes ago, SectionDJambo said:

Remember they brought out a video of their tie against AEK Athens, after losing the tie. 

:rofl:

I remember that. We had the exact same sort of result vs Stuttgart the year before, and I assume no **** even thought that was a good idea.

7 minutes ago, Locky said:

Does your Hibs mate remember when they went 29 years without winning a 2 legged tie in Europe?

I think he probably sees his ‘Hibs mate’ every time he looks in the mirror, Locks.

2 hours ago, Morgan said:

I think he probably sees his ‘Hibs mate’ every time he looks in the mirror, Locks.

Had a hunch, but didn't want to be the accuser. Wouldn't wish that on my worst enemy. Unless they were a Hibs **** of course. :) 

On 01/12/2020 at 22:17, Nookie Bear said:

Get this hibs loving **** off this forum and take the OP back to Leith with it.

On 01/12/2020 at 23:06, Morgan said:

Stupidly, I fell for his shite once.  :sad: 

Never again, NB.

55 minutes ago, Locky said:

Had a hunch, but didn't want to be the accuser. Wouldn't wish that on my worst enemy. Unless they were a Hibs **** of course. :) 

Mr Bear wasn’t so subtle yesterday, Locks.

For further clarification of the dubiety of the OP, I refer you to the Ray Clemence thread .  👍

14 hours ago, John Findlay said:

Segregation came in circa 1978/79. I was in the old east terrace Oct/Nov 76 whe Rab Prentice scored late in the game down the slope for a 1-1 draw. 

I was there also.  It's hard to imagine in these times that Hearts \ Hibs fans could share a terracing not so long ago.  I remember the celebrations heading up Easter Road were magnificent after that Prentice goal.  Only a draw but felt like a win.

26 minutes ago, Hearts1975 said:

Content of shite thread 

Unintentionally good thread, imo. In the midst of these hard times for all, a few reminders about the irredeemable shiteness of the Shite can only be a good thing.

FK_Vetra.png

1 hour ago, TexasAndy said:

I was there also.  It's hard to imagine in these times that Hearts \ Hibs fans could share a terracing not so long ago.  I remember the celebrations heading up Easter Road were magnificent after that Prentice goal.  Only a draw but felt like a win.

I remember my dad coming back from that one and being particularly chuffed. Only a draw, as you say, but they were difficult times, especially v. Hibs. 

Thankfully, I was deemed too young to attend derbies in the '70's. First two I went to with mates, a reserve match in late 1980 then an EoSS tie a year later, were both won by Hearts. And at Easter Road. 

Never looked back after that start. 😊

Tokyo Drifter
On 01/12/2020 at 20:20, Hairdryer said:

Did Hibernian beat Ajax in the European cup in the 70s.my friend said they did I have my doubts.

He's confusing Hibernian with Hibernians FC, the Maltese side. They have beaten fellow Maltese team Rabat Ajax from time to time, though I doubt it was ever in the European Cup.

Yer pal's deluded. Par for the course in Flumpsville, mind.