New TV advice

Disser Pointon

Disser Pointon

Any tech savvy people out there!?

Looking at a new set, 65 inch. Is OLED worth the extra dough against QLED and are both of them worth the extra against a decent 4K UHD LCD??

Cheers

26 minutes ago, Barack said:

If you can afford it, yes. Love my OLED. 

Stick a decent Dolby soundbar with it, sit back and enjoy.

My boy bought one and gave me his old 55inch 4kuhd that he bought the month before. Result. 

It's still in box anaw. :cheers:

Disser Pointon
37 minutes ago, Barack said:

If you can afford it, yes. Love my OLED. 

Stick a decent Dolby soundbar with it, sit back and enjoy.

I've got a soundbase just now but I'd need to get a blue tooth one for the set up in the new house. Any experience of QLED anyone, reviews seem to suggest there's not a lot between them?

Just now, Barack said:

Remember watching one of Attenborough's recent Netflix things, when I got mine.

*Sat there like:

:wow:

*Not literally.

You like Attenborough 🤔

Just now, Barack said:

Didn't even know that was back on.🤷‍♂️

Do you not look to see what new stuff there is? 😤 There is 10 new episodes...Few cracking characters , hasnt missed a step

imo

1 minute ago, Barack said:

About new episodes. We need to talk. You about on the other media yet...?

Nopes , text me. Not had that or any other social media on since August. (.........324????) that still you?

Edited by sadj

luckyBatistuta

Either of these two televisions will perfectly handle everything you throw at it (perfect for the new PS5,XBOX)

65 LG OLEDCX

SAMSUNG QE65Q80T

The LG is the slightly better television, but whether it’s worth the extra cost for the slight difference. I will be buying the Q80T after the turn of the year, unless the LG takes a significant drop. You will be able to get the 77 Samsung for the price of the 65 LG.

7 minutes ago, luckyBatistuta said:

Either of these two televisions will perfectly handle everything you throw at it (perfect for the new PS5,XBOX)

65 LG OLEDCX

SAMSUNG QE65Q80T

The LG is the slightly better television, but whether it’s worth the extra cost for the slight difference. I will be buying the Q80T after the turn of the year, unless the LG takes a significant drop. You will be able to get the 77 Samsung for the price of the 65 LG.

Blokes and going on about their extra inches.....

I prefer an LG now , used to swear by Samsung but my 60 is just a mormal lcd 4k LG and its been brilliant. 

luckyBatistuta

:lol: I used to only buy Sony TVs, but I actually started to get a bit peed off with them. I would still buy one, but now I’ll just do a bit of research and pick whatever best suits my needs. 

luckyBatistuta
Just now, luckyBatistuta said:
7 minutes ago, sadj said:

Blokes and going on about their extra inches.....

I prefer an LG now , used to swear by Samsung but my 60 is just a mormal lcd 4k LG and its been brilliant. 

:lol: I used to only buy Sony TVs, but I actually started to get a bit peed off with them. I would still buy one, but now I’ll just do a bit of research and pick whatever best suits my needs. 

jack D and coke
21 minutes ago, luckyBatistuta said:

65 LG OLEDCX

SAMSUNG QE65Q80T

Will ye aye?😀

jack D and coke
5 minutes ago, luckyBatistuta said:

LG is the one bruvva. You know it😎

luckyBatistuta
Just now, jack D and coke said:

LG is the one bruvva. You know it😎

It is, but not worth the big difference in wonga imo. Anyway I’ve got a mate who has supposedly bought a large LG CX, so I’ll get a look at his, if I can catch him when he’s not in the boozer.

Disser Pointon
27 minutes ago, luckyBatistuta said:

65 LG OLEDCX

SAMSUNG QE65Q80T

Yeah, that Samsung is the one I was about to go for mate. Cheers

Carl Fredrickson
7 minutes ago, Heartsmad1874 said:

Theres a big massive tele at the front of Costco when you walk in. I will take that tele home one day soon.

Noticed it yesterday. Didnt look at the price as I can be an impulse buyer. Picture quality was awesome

52 minutes ago, Ray Gin said:

I have an LG OLED. Love it. Well worth the £1200 I got it for. 

The blacks an OLED can produce are unmatchable. 

Yep, I swear by LGs. 

jack D and coke
14 minutes ago, luckyBatistuta said:

It is, but not worth the big difference in wonga imo. Anyway I’ve got a mate who has supposedly bought a large LG CX, so I’ll get a look at his, if I can catch him when he’s not in the boozer.

Sure you’ll catch him mate he’s busy with work the now. Nae boozing🤷🏽‍♂️

luckyBatistuta
22 minutes ago, Heartsmad1874 said:

Theres a big massive tele at the front of Costco when you walk in. I will take that tele home one day soon.

14 minutes ago, Carl Fredrickson said:

Noticed it yesterday. Didnt look at the price as I can be an impulse buyer. Picture quality was awesome

If I remember right, it’s a Sony X900H

luckyBatistuta
4 minutes ago, jack D and coke said:

Sure you’ll catch him mate he’s busy with work the now. Nae boozing🤷🏽‍♂️

He’s gonna need to so he can pay for that mahoosive top of the range tv.

1 hour ago, luckyBatistuta said:

Thats my set up , (with a touch of Attenborough) just my paltry 60 and an lg soundbar (sl6y) , cut the hole at the bottom moved the wiring under the floor , up the wall and the set the sub/surround sound speakers up as wireless. Sub is under my coffee table in the corner of the room so it reverbs(wrong word maybe) brilliantly 🤤

Guys from Sony left as they were pissed off and set up LG i believe , thats why the tech was similar for a while at least. 

4CEE6F80-3745-4FCB-A1DC-C06475AFF278.jpeg

luckyBatistuta
12 minutes ago, sadj said:

Thats my set up , (with a touch of Attenborough) just my paltry 60 and an lg soundbar (sl6y) , cut the hole at the bottom moved the wiring under the floor , up the wall and the set the sub/surround sound speakers up as wireless. Sub is under my coffee table in the corner of the room so it reverbs(wrong word maybe) brilliantly 🤤

Guys from Sony left as they were pissed off and set up LG i believe , thats why the tech was similar for a while at least. 

I’ve always run the cables through the walls/under the floor, but not sure I can be arsed doing it all again when I move in to my new house. Folk that got my old house are laughing, every room was left with cables still in the walls abd brackets still in the walls.

Think about where the TV will be in your room.

If next to a window, then some OLED ones might be too reflective. I don't think the deep rich colours are worth it if there's a reflection glaring across it. QLED panels can have matte finishes to diffuse the glare, though colours might not have as much 'pop'. I have a matte finish and I'd get a matte one next time.

OLED looks incredible in a completely dark room though.

2 hours ago, sadj said:

I hope you're not suggesting that a bunch of guys walked out of Sony and started up LG? 

Edit: the only similarity between them is that Sony use LG's screens.

Edited by IronJambo

5 hours ago, Ray Gin said:

I have an LG OLED. Love it. Well worth the £1200 I got it for. 

The blacks an OLED can produce are unmatchable. 

My understanding is that OLED doesn’t produce blacks but only displays colours and if there is no colour the OLED stays in its neutral black state as opposed to an LED which attempts to produce an artificial black. There is a concern about the lifespan of them but that lifespan is probably beyond the amount of hours a normal user would watch in the lifespan of a home TV before changing it. It’s potentially a massive game changer that OLEDs can be printed onto a surface. 

5 hours ago, Barack said:

Without getting all technical, this sums it up pretty much:

"We can summarise the OLED vs QLED battle in one sentence: QLED is a tweak of existing LCD technology, while OLED is a new technology altogether."

Thats true but I just got a 58” Samsung 4K QLED for £850. An OLED would be at least twice that. The difference isnt that obvious for the extra cash. Both technolgies will be obsolete in 15 minutes anyway. 
8K is out now and thats just nonsense. Nothing is broadcast in 8K so I dont see the point. 

45 minutes ago, Tazio said:

My understanding is that OLED doesn’t produce blacks but only displays colours and if there is no colour the OLED stays in its neutral black state as opposed to an LED which attempts to produce an artificial black. There is a concern about the lifespan of them but that lifespan is probably beyond the amount of hours a normal user would watch in the lifespan of a home TV before changing it. It’s potentially a massive game changer that OLEDs can be printed onto a surface. 

Correct, there's no back-light on OLED so the pixels in black areas are turned off completely. 

To quote Spinal Tap, “It’s like, how much more black could this be? And the answer is none. None more black.”

12 hours ago, gashauskis9 said:

Yep, I swear by LGs. 

Bought an LG 4k UHD back in june 19 to replace the panasonic that lasted a year, just 40 pounds

as insurance covered panasonic.

14 hours ago, Tazio said:

What is the average lifespan of a telly these days?

30 minutes ago, davemclaren said:

What is the average lifespan of a telly these days?

With the mqss production levels these TVs are churned out at the fail rate is a lot higher than previous years. If you don't buy a TV that comes with a 5 year warranty you are a fool. 

Just now, hughesie27 said:

With the mqss production levels these TVs are churned out at the fail rate is a lot higher than previous years. If you don't buy a TV that comes with a 5 year warranty you are a fool. 

Hmmm. I got my current Panasonic 50 inch plasma in 2009 and still going strong. 

1 minute ago, davemclaren said:

Hmmm. I got my current Panasonic 50 inch plasma in 2009 and still going strong. 

Sorry. I never meant that you should only expect them to last that long, but the chance of it breaking is a lot higher and they aren't cheap. 

I would say though that 5 years is also a decent amount of time and would definitely warrant an upgrade given the technological advances.

5 minutes ago, hughesie27 said:

Sorry. I never meant that you should only expect them to last that long, but the chance of it breaking is a lot higher and they aren't cheap. 

I would say though that 5 years is also a decent amount of time and would definitely warrant an upgrade given the technological advances.

Thanks. Depends on your attitude to technological advances. As you get older you tend to value that less. 😄

4 minutes ago, davemclaren said:

Thanks. Depends on your attitude to technological advances. As you get older you tend to value that less. 😄

Is that why the search function on here is still Dug mess!?

My old 64” Samsung smart TV gave up the ghost last month.

Back in the day it was top of the pile and cost a lot of money. Went to Curry’s for advice and the guy there did some simple demonstrations to show me the difference between QLED tech and OLED tech.

Was a no brainer and walked out after buying an LG 65” OLED and LG sound bar 👍

It was a lot of money but so was the Samsung back in the day. 

It is unbelievable!!!!!

Just now, jonnothejambo said:

Aye but it's black and white, Dave.

Colour is much better.

Sony OLED. Brilliant. 

Funny guy. 🤨