Maskne

Morgan

After quite a few months now of wearing a face mask in shops and on busy streets and trains, about two weeks ago we both developed an itchy, red rash on our cheeks, under our ears and, the itchiest bit, under our chins.

We did a wee bit research, and have discovered that it is quite a common thing for people wearing masks for any considerable period of time.  It’s name is Maskne (Mask + Acne).

Apparently, putting Vaseline or (believe it or not) nappy rash cream under the mask provides a barrier and, in theory, should stop this irritation.

Has anyone else had this wee problem?

I used to wear those masks with straps but I found that they were irritating and I'd forget them all the time.

Nowadays I prefer to wear those snood face mask things so I don't have that problem.

They're quite handy when it's really cold & windy and you don't have a scarf to protect your face. The downside is they make you look a bit like a robber or a wee yob. 

1 hour ago, Cruyff said:

I used to wear those masks with straps but I found that they were irritating and I'd forget them all the time.

Nowadays I prefer to wear those snood face mask things so I don't have that problem.

They're quite handy when it's really cold & windy and you don't have a scarf to protect your face. The downside is they make you look a bit like a robber or a wee yob. 

I’ll have you know i look like a million dollars in my snood 👸🏼

Seymour M Hersh
1 hour ago, Morgan said:

irritation.

I bet that can cause it as well. 

Edited by Seymour M Hersh

Heartsmad1874

Only problem is i've had with a mask is the string massively irritating my left ear :(. Had to wear it for 5/6 hours a day and was extremely painful at times until i eventually binned it. 

1 hour ago, Morgan said:

After quite a few months now of wearing a face mask in shops and on busy streets and trains, about two weeks ago we both developed an itchy, red rash on our cheeks, under our ears and, the itchiest bit, under our chins.

We did a wee bit research, and have discovered that it is quite a common thing for people wearing masks for any considerable period of time.  It’s name is Maskne (Mask + Acne).

Apparently, putting Vaseline or (believe it or not) nappy rash cream under the mask provides a barrier and, in theory, should stop this irritation.

I wore regular face masks for 1 day then immediately bought snoods

Get a snood Morgan and interchange it with one or two others. Wash regularly. 

Masks get manky and full of filth. 

2 hours ago, Morgan said:

Common problem, I'm afraid.

Most of the staff at Mrs JJ's hospital have skin problems now and not just on their faces, but also on their hands & arms.

Wearing plastic PPE for up to 12 hrs in a hot environment is a perfect breeding ground for bacteria.

They all got creams & ointments which one of the big pharma companies had donated to the hospital.

Miss JJ (cabin crew), her and most of her collegues are the same, they are having skin problems caused by the masks.

It's the sweat seemingly, perfect breeding ground for bacteria.

Heartsmad1874
1 hour ago, jonesy said:

Can't wear a mask for more than a few mins at a time without struggling to breathe. Couldn't imagine wearing it for a whole day.

Currently wearing it at work all day. 6am until 2pm. Only allowed to take it off whilst in canteen eating/drinking. 

Brutal at times.

Masks/coverings should be change every 4 hours. Masks disposed off in suitable waste bins. Face Coverings once again 4 hours then washed at 60 degs. 

12-13(sometimes more) hours a day, 3-5 days a week since March. Face doesn’t look to bed other than the occasional cut from friction points. Feels like it is on fire though. :lol: 

56 minutes ago, kila said:

Snoods are great. Keep your neck cosy too, ideal for this time of year.

managed to bag a couple of hoodies with snoods built in, warm as feck for winter and no more getting to the door of the shop/gym and then having to go back to the car for a mask

Never had Maskne but experienced bigger health problems due to masks. 

Pretty much stopped wearing them now. Maximum ten minutes when i am shopping and only because it makes other people feel 'safer'.

Wish I was more of a prick and just refuse to wear one. 

3 hours ago, Heartsmad1874 said:

Only problem is i've had with a mask is the string massively irritating my left ear :(. Had to wear it for 5/6 hours a day and was extremely painful at times until i eventually binned it. 

Get (or make)  yourself one of these - a strip of fabric with 2 big buttons sown on 

Face Mask Ear Protector, Face Mask Relief, Face Mask Extenders Relieve Ear  Stress, Your Choice of Colors in 2020 | Face mask, Diy face mask, Mask

14 hours ago, Morgan said:

The problem I have is I can't have a shave if I'm going to be in a mask for more than a couple of minutes. Face gets too itchy.

2 hours ago, Les Izemore said:

Can I ask the snood wearers where they purchased them? I fancy giving them a go. 

I got a pack of 3 on ebay for under a tenner. They are a thin neoprene so they don't affect breathing at all. 

Snoods are the way forward, I've been snooding it since all this shit kicked off. The masks make my ears stick out, and handsome as I am, they make me look like a bit of a *****. 

Edited by smiler

Fxxx the SPFL
21 hours ago, Morgan said:

sexually transmitted rash Morgan. 🤣