Desperate Dan

Harry Potter

The cartoon cowboy, Desperate Dan will be 83 on December the 4th.

He starred weekly in the Dandy comic published by DC Thomson.

Was the worlds strongest man , able to lift a cow with one hand😮.

He loved cow pies , a giant bake with cow horns sticking out the crust.

The Dandy went across to a digital version after 75 years.

Who bought the Dandy which also featured Korky the cat.

unnamed.jpg

21 minutes ago, Harry Potter said:

unnamed.jpg

Remember it well. 

49 minutes ago, Sharpie said:

Also had Keyhole Kate,  when I reached maturity at three she actually looked pretty good,  I would have.

That one always struck me as strange/creepy. If it had been Peephole Pete would it have endured as long as a story?

p.s. I hope your standards increased with maturity. :lol: 

24 minutes ago, gjcc said:

That one always struck me as strange/creepy. If it had been Peephole Pete would it have endured as long as a story?

24 minutes ago, gjcc said:

Absolutely, when a year later I got to school I learned what ugly meant and that finished that.😀

27 minutes ago, John Findlay said:

Couldnt beat the Bash street kids in the Beano. Plug made Davie Dodds look handsome🤣

Google Plug, then Google Scott Brown.

You’ll be very confused, John.  :thumbsup:

34 minutes ago, ri Alban said:

The Dandy and The Beano. Oor Wullie or The Broons. 

👍

That reminds me, Christmas Radio Times so be out soon. :yas:

Maggie Broon.  :sweeet:

When I was ever off school sick, my mother would buy me a special treat, the Knockout. My Dandy and Beano were on weekly order at Macdermids at the corner of S Clerk and East Preston Streets. Faither walked down to the Waverley every Sunday morning and got the Sunday Post and the Sunday Mail, the Mail for the football reports including Rex, and the Post for my sister and I .Fun Section of the Post. Oor Wullie and the Broons. Our entertainment was either by radio or newspapers or comics. Funny we got more entertainment that way than my grandchildren seemed to get from all their Pc's, TV etc. Simple brought satisfaction.

26 minutes ago, Morgan said:

Google Plug, then Google Scott Brown.

You’ll be very confused, John.  :thumbsup:

Morgan. I'm going to name drop here.

I work with Scott's brother.

I've met Scott a few times, he isint so ugly close up😉

2 hours ago, John Findlay said:

Fair enough, John.

It’s really clever though how he manages to hide his good looks whilst on the park.  😁

5 hours ago, Sharpie said:

When I was ever off school sick, my mother would buy me a special treat, the Knockout. My Dandy and Beano were on weekly order at Macdermids at the corner of S Clerk and East Preston Streets. Faither walked down to the Waverley every Sunday morning and got the Sunday Post and the Sunday Mail, the Mail for the football reports including Rex, and the Post for my sister and I .Fun Section of the Post. Oor Wullie and the Broons. Our entertainment was either by radio or newspapers or comics. Funny we got more entertainment that way than my grandchildren seemed to get from all their Pc's, TV etc. Simple brought satisfaction.

JINGS that's BRAW 😏

9 hours ago, Harry Potter said:

unnamed.jpg

Is it true you've modelled your lifestyle on him Harold?

Doctor FinnBarr
11 hours ago, Harry Potter said:

unnamed.jpg

There was someplace down south that done a Desperate Dan Pie trail a few years back, pubs that sold a cow horned pie. Horns were made from pastry. Brum area I think.

I P Knightley
10 hours ago, John Findlay said:

Those years in the armed forces have clearly affected you. 

I wouldn't be brave enough to let him get close up to check. 

6 hours ago, FinnBarr Saunders said:

There was someplace down south that done a Desperate Dan Pie trail a few years back, pubs that sold a cow horned pie. Horns were made from pastry. Brum area I think.

There was a pub in Wolverhampton called the pie factory that done a desperate dan cow pie. If you could eat it all you got it free.

I do remember though, it was a sort of size for sharing with a few of you.

Every time I look at the thread title I think of the Yosser Hughes scene with the priest in Boys from the Blackstuff.

Yosser: "I'm desperate , Father."

Priest: "Call me Dan".

Yosser: "I'm desperate, Dan".

Used to wait behind the letter box for the Dandy and the Beano . Lord Snooty and the Gasworks gang. There was a question on the Chase recently asking the name of Dennis the Menace 🐕 dog gnashes. 

16 hours ago, Sharpie said:

Used to have mine on weekly order too, from a shop in Tollcross, just along from Tarvit Street. Beano on a Tuesday and Dandy on a Thursday IIRC. Don't know how much they were in your day Bob, but it was about 35p when I got them. I know what you mean though about satisfaction. I used to get a football magazine during the week, and be happy for a long time with them. I'm not even talking that long ago either, maybe late 90's/early 2000's. Even then, things were still very humble compared to kids today. I did have a Playstation, but apart from that it was 5 channels on TV, and a VHS player. One TV though, so it was usually entertain yourself.

On top of the regular comics there were smaller (in actual size) spin-offs featuring one character.

Although smaller they had many more pages so the content and story was much longer.

I had a Minnie the Minx one where she entered a go cart in some carting race.

It was amazing 👍

23 hours ago, Morgan said:

Maggie Broon.  :sweeet:

Made the Sunday Post look like Playboy to a young healthy lad Morg. 😉

Салатные палочки

Loved the Bash Street Kids.  Were they the Dandy?  Pretty sure I had a couple of their annuals.  

Much preferred an Oor Wullie or The Broons though.  I used to read one page a night so I didn't finish it too fast :laugh2:

11 minutes ago, Robbo-Jambo said:

When I was a ‘young healthy lad’ RJ, feckin Maggie Broon would have done!

12 minutes ago, Robbo-Jambo said:

Daphne was my choice no challengers everybody was after Maggie.  Just borrowed Wullies  bucket and got her to wear it like  a hat.

2 minutes ago, Morgan said:

When I was a ‘young healthy lad’ RJ, feckin Maggie Broon would have done!

😂😂

1 minute ago, Sharpie said:

Daphne was my choice no challengers everybody was after Maggie.  Just borrowed Wullies  bucket and got her to wear it like  a hat.

😅 

11 minutes ago, Sharpie said:

:oohmatron:

Just now, Morgan said:

So would Daphne, by the way.

Christ, you must have been a really healthy young lad.!!!!! 

1 minute ago, Robbo-Jambo said:

Christ, you must have been a really healthy young lad.!!!!! or a desperate one 😉

10 hours ago, superjack said:

There was a pub in Wolverhampton called the pie factory that done a desperate dan cow pie. If you could eat it all you got it free.

I do remember though, it was a sort of size for sharing with a few of you.

That sounds like a single person meal for @ri Alban , @RS86 or myself 😍

1 hour ago, Morgan said:

So would Daphne, by the way.

Now you've gone too far , at least ya know she’d have tried harder though 🤭

Doctor FinnBarr
On 30/11/2020 at 17:06, Sharpie said:

Why would he walk to Waverley to buy a paper you could buy in any newsagents Bob? I'm guessing you must mean on the Saturday night when the early edition came out. Only downside to that was it was for the English market and you got match reports for Carlisle v A N other mutton molester rather than Hearts v Hibs.

13 hours ago, Sharpie said:

Facilitate my Robert. :blush: 

been here before
8 hours ago, Tazio said:

What was the comic that had a bunch of mice in one of their stories? One of the mice was a bodybuilder type called Enor (enor mouse, geddit?) 

The Nibblers in The Beano.

9 hours ago, FinnBarr Saunders said:

Why would he walk to Waverley to buy a paper you could buy in any newsagents Bob? I'm guessing you must mean on the Saturday night when the early edition came out. Only downside to that was it was for the English market and you got match reports for Carlisle v A N other mutton molester rather than Hearts v Hibs.

This was the early forties, he worked five and a half day week so Sunday morning early was his time for a pleasant quiet walk. The newsagents were still closed, and there was a newspaper man sold all the Sunday papers at the top of the Waverley steps. He was an active wee man, and either bicycled or walked everywhere, that included a one day trip to Kinlochleven and back a week later with his thirteen year old son, me, I believe it was around 139 miles each  way.  in the fifties and sixties if I was working a beat  on his route to the Waverley I made sure I would meet him.  He was a man of simple pleasures, and asked for nothing from nobody, and explained himself to nobody. He played some games for St Bernards, Oakley United  , and ran in the Powderhall sprint. He spent time in France  during WW1, and told me he never was a drinker because the one time he did during a break from the trenches, he had the crap beat out of him by a big Russian, may explain his thinking on a Sunday morning, as he did thinking of his kids and their pleasure  the Sunday comics.

Doctor FinnBarr
2 hours ago, Sharpie said:

This was the early forties, he worked five and a half day week so Sunday morning early was his time for a pleasant quiet walk. The newsagents were still closed, and there was a newspaper man sold all the Sunday papers at the top of the Waverley steps. He was an active wee man, and either bicycled or walked everywhere, that included a one day trip to Kinlochleven and back a week later with his thirteen year old son, me, I believe it was around 139 miles each  way.  in the fifties and sixties if I was working a beat  on his route to the Waverley I made sure I would meet him.  He was a man of simple pleasures, and asked for nothing from nobody, and explained himself to nobody. He played some games for St Bernards, Oakley United  , and ran in the Powderhall sprint. He spent time in France  during WW1, and told me he never was a drinker because the one time he did during a break from the trenches, he had the crap beat out of him by a big Russian, may explain his thinking on a Sunday morning, as he did thinking of his kids and their pleasure  the Sunday comics.

Simple pleasures indeed Bob but alas, those days are long gone now.