Prunes

Stephane Grappelli

Stephane Grappelli

What's everyone's thoughts on prunes?  Always go well with custard and while it would never be my first choice dessert I never say no when offered.

Prunes.

14 minutes ago, Stephane Grappelli said:

What's everyone's thoughts on prunes?  Always go well with custard and while it would never be my first choice dessert I never say no when offered.

Prunes.

Good for the bowels, dont mind them, tasty.

I used to hate it when it was prunes and custard for pudding at school dinners. Having to put the stones at the side of your plate.  I like the taste of prunes, but barring the unexpected onset of cronic constipation, I can't see myself ever buying them.

Governor Tarkin
43 minutes ago, Stephane Grappelli said:

Prunes.

I'm a big fan.

My preference the dried ones on their own as a tasty chewy snack. 

Getting into dates and figs too, but couldn't stand any of them when I was younger.

Stephane Grappelli
6 minutes ago, Governor Tarkin said:

I'm a big fan.

My preference the dried ones on their own as a tasty chewy snack. 

Getting into dates and figs too, but couldn't stand any of them when I was younger.

Excellent choices.  I find fig rolls are a great alternative to more traditional biscuits too.

Disgusting. 

Used to hate when my gran would make me eat them as a kid. 

Tbf, I hate most dried fruit, raisins/sultanas, dates etc. 🤢

been here before

Much prefer prune juice but can eat a prune on its own.

Partial to a fig roll on occasion. Once stayed in a house in Kent that had a fig tree in the back garden. Tasted magic straight off the tree.

Dates you can keep though.

Edited by been here before

2 hours ago, been here before said:

Much prefer prune juice but can eat a prune on its own.

Partial to a fig roll on occasion. Once stayed in a house in Kent that had a fig tree in the back garden. Tasted magic straight off the tree.

Dates you can keep though.

I wasn't too keen on the boxed dates you used to get at Christmas but got a taste now for Medjool dates. When I was in Oman they had these dates. When they are nearly ripe they have a sweet yellow crunchy half and brown delicious toffee half and were superb. Can't find them in Lidl though 😞
Organic Fresh Dates (Khalas), Local - The Honest Counter

Went to Yugoslavia in the mid 70's for a fortnights holiday. Every meal was accompanied by prunes. Thankfully, I quite like them

For anyone wanting to combine the delicious taste of prunes with the pleasant effects of alcohol, I'd heartily recommend Pedro Ximinez sherry. 

3 minutes ago, jonnothejambo said:

Prunes are delicious and a definite ally in anyone's fight against the Dukes.

I made prune gin a few years ago, like sloe gin but with prunes, bloody lovley. The best bit was pouring the gin soaked prunes over some vanilla ice cream 🥰🥰🥰

I love prunes.

As mentioned above, by Craig, excellent with sherry.  We like them with the very dry Fino though, and some Manchego.

Just like having Manchego and membrillo.

• 1 month later...