F1. Massive crash on lap one.

Tazio

My god! It’s a long time since I’ve seen anything like that, Roman Grosjean hit the barriers and his car was ripped in two and burst into massive flames. He’s a very lucky boy indeed. 

2 minutes ago, maroongoals said:

Wow, i thought he was a goner

It’s an absolute shocker. 140mph to 0mph in a couple of metres must be unimaginable in terms of Gs. 
Huge credit to the medical car crew for just getting straight in there and stopping it being worse. 

Halo system saved his life otherwise, well think we all know how it would have ended up. 

He does have a tendancy to make strange manoeuvres, but to see him walk away, minus a boot, is brilliant. 

7 minutes ago, Tazio said:

It’s an absolute shocker. 140mph to 0mph in a couple of metres must be unimaginable in terms of Gs. 
Huge credit to the medical car crew for just getting straight in there and stopping it being worse. 

The doctor is a hero. In the new footage on tv him and the driver go to the crash and the doctor tells him where to point the extinguisher and goes straight into help Grosjean. Even with fireproof overalls that would have been horrifically hot. 

Horrific crash and one very very lucky driver to walk away from that.

Sat in silence watching it happen live and sheer relief/joy when you seen him sitting in safety car.

Shocked that he walked away from that, I really thought he had been killed.

Just saying that he's off to hospital, suspected broken rib or two.

Tenaciousdandy
1 minute ago, Tazio said:

The car went right through the barrier taking him with it, the halo did it’s job thankfully or there is no way he’d have survived. 

Hes a very lucky guy 

Just now, The Mighty Thor said:

How is he still alive?

The half of the car he was in is embedded in the barrier burnt out!

Absolutely incredible escape.

Horrific. 

51C0F02A-154F-4524-8A30-141332FED933.jpeg

The Mighty Thor
6 minutes ago, Tazio said:

Horrific. 

51C0F02A-154F-4524-8A30-141332FED933.jpeg

The more you see the nick of whats left of the car the more you wonder how he's jumped out of that with minor burns to his hand and feet. 

24 minutes ago, Tazio said:

The doctor is a hero. In the new footage on tv him and the driver go to the crash and the doctor tells him where to point the extinguisher and goes straight into help Grosjean. Even with fireproof overalls that would have been horrifically hot. 

Doctor run right into the unknown to assist him over barrier. Yes he was suited up and had training but he only had thoughts for Grosean.

Reminds me of the Tetsuya Ota crash at Fuji Japan in the 90’s.

Poor guy couldn’t get out the car and the marshals were slow getting to him.

That crash led to major changes to marshalling all over motorsport and probably had an impact on events today for the better.

SectionDJambo

What a shocker seeing that live on tv. First thought was he couldn’t have survived such a fireball.

It’s miraculous that he got out of there.

Just emphasises how dangerous F1 still is despite all the enhanced safety.

The other drivers must be shaken up as well having seen it. Let’s hope for an incident free race when they restart.

Great to hear that Grosjean seems to have fairly minor injuries. He’s a very lucky boy.

Really hammers home how safe the cars are now. Some of us are old enough to remember the horrendous crash that ended Martin Donnelly’s career in top racing where he ended up lying in the middle of the track still strapped to his seat after the car had completely disintegrated. 

52 minutes ago, Cade said:

Impact registered at 53G

53G!!!

Jesus. Even with racing drivers being super lightweight he would have weighed about 3 tonnes for a split second. 

12 minutes ago, Tazio said:

Jesus. Even with racing drivers being super lightweight he would have weighed about 3 tonnes for a split second. 

Just imagine what pressure his internal organs took with a sudden stop like that.

47 minutes ago, Cade said:

Force of impact broke his ribs on his seat straps.

Which in itself shows the impact as they are strapped in so tightly they can only move their arms and legs as their torso is so tightly held. 
I found this photo of Rosberg online last week, nothing wrong with the car, just the sheer G force around the corner pushing the suspension and tyres to their limits. A good one to show the pub bores who tell you anyone could drive one of those around a track. 

81BED875-947B-46E8-B0AA-C74D1F5BF79B.jpeg

Had kept myself away from the news so I could watch this as live. Absolutely incredible he walked away from that. Even being alive is a minor miracle. My first reaction was that it was definitely going to be a fatality. 

So glad he's okay, however Grosjean is a danger to himself and others.

18 minutes ago, Lord BJ said:

I seen this yesterday. Absolutely unbelievable that he’s walked away from that. 

What’s the halo system a few posters referred to. 

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Halo_(safety_device)#:~:text=The halo is a driver,to protect the driver's head.&text=Outside from FIA sanctioned series,Formula%2C and Australian S5000 Championship.

I P Knightley
40 minutes ago, Lord BJ said:

I seen this yesterday. Absolutely unbelievable that he’s walked away from that. 

What’s the halo system a few posters referred to. 

It was introduced following the crash which took Jules Bianchi's life. He'd got wedged under a tractor when he skidded off the track and, of course, had no head protection.

Not everyone supported the introduction of the halo. Among those voting against was Romain Grosjean.