First defeat to Alloa in 131 years

Getintaethem

Yesterday was another low in what has been several years of underachievement at the club.  Getting beat from what is basically a part-time league one outfit shows how far we have sunk.

The recruitment situation at the club doesn’t seem to have been addressed.  This is my major worry.

Once again we started with no recognised attacking wide players, although we tried to shoehorn White into that role.  We took our main striker off after an hour after giving him very little decent service and if you count the second half of the league game, haven’t managed to score against Alloa in nearly three hours of football.

It’s hardly surprising the Robbie has lost faith in his wingers.  Frear and Roberts have been woeful since they signed.  What’s more worrying is that neither Henderson or Moore are deemed good enough to compete at Championship level despite us recently giving them two year contracts.

The decisions made to sign these players and extend the contracts of the others seems bizarre and ill thought out.  Granted Henderson is still only 20, and there is probably thoughts of a development fee involved, but if these players aren’t to be given a chance to prove their worth in the championship, why keep them?

There is a catalog of poor signings stretching back years.  I fully understand that not all signings will be successful, but our success rate is extremely low.  We sign far too many players who are unworthy of the jersey.  There was a much vaunted review of the footballing department at the end of last season.  What has changed in the scouting and recruitment department?

If we look at the squad and the player contracts, it becomes more worrying.  In my opinion we are only well covered in goalkeeping and full back areas (and the full backs are nearing the end of their contracts), the rest of the squad needs yet another overhaul:

Contracts expiring 2021:

Berra, Zlamal, White, Smith, Frear, Lee, Wighton, Kingsley, Ginnelly, Irving, Stewart (January).

Contracts expiring 2022:

Gordon, Walker, Halliday, Haring, Souttar, Halkett, Moore, Popescu, Brandon, Henderson, McGill, Roberts.

Contracts expiring 2023:

Naismith, Damour, Boyce

I can’t see many changes in January, but would like to see Smith, Kingsley and McGill being tied down to longer contracts.  Still undecided about Irving, but as he’s 20 might be worth another contract to see if he progresses.

There will again be a big turn around in players again this summer, we need to take steps now to ensure our recruitment is far, far better than the standard we have now.

Howdy Doody Jambo

What's more annoying is our "better players" not producing the goods and stepping up to the challenge 

Is it anything to do with no fans and atmosphere at games and player's just lose focus? 

Might be 131 years for us, it’s Neilsons third defeat to them in as many seasons.

He needs to understand that while he might be able to pull that kind of stuff at Dundee Utd and get away with it, it’s not going to be acceptable here.

He doesn’t seem to learn - in fact it looks as though that’s about 5 games in a row at recreation park his team hasn’t scored

part_time_jambo

Pity the fog didn't save us this time. I remember going to a cup tie at Alloa in the seventies and being behind and not looking like scoring. Then the fog came down, game was abandoned and Hearts won the rematch. 

This team shouldn't have need anything like that though. We've just beaten the same team 3-0. It can only be down to attitude, not ability.

Салатные палочки
26 minutes ago, Getintaethem said:

Yesterday was another low in what has been several years of underachievement at the club.  Getting beat from what is basically a part-time league one outfit shows how far we have sunk.

The recruitment situation at the club doesn’t seem to have been addressed.  This is my major worry.

Once again we started with no recognised attacking wide players, although we tried to shoehorn White into that role.  We took our main striker off after an hour after giving him very little decent service and if you count the second half of the league game, haven’t managed to score against Alloa in nearly three hours of football.

It’s hardly surprising the Robbie has lost faith in his wingers.  Frear and Roberts have been woeful since they signed.  What’s more worrying is that neither Henderson or Moore are deemed good enough to compete at Championship level despite us recently giving them two year contracts.

The decisions made to sign these players and extend the contracts of the others seems bizarre and ill thought out.  Granted Henderson is still only 20, and there is probably thoughts of a development fee involved, but if these players aren’t to be given a chance to prove their worth in the championship, why keep them?

There is a catalog of poor signings stretching back years.  I fully understand that not all signings will be successful, but our success rate is extremely low.  We sign far too many players who are unworthy of the jersey.  There was a much vaunted review of the footballing department at the end of last season.  What has changed in the scouting and recruitment department?

If we look at the squad and the player contracts, it becomes more worrying.  In my opinion we are only well covered in goalkeeping and full back areas (and the full backs are nearing the end of their contracts), the rest of the squad needs yet another overhaul:

Contracts expiring 2021:

Berra, Zlamal, White, Smith, Frear, Lee, Wighton, Kingsley, Ginnelly, Irving, Stewart (January).

Contracts expiring 2022:

Gordon, Walker, Halliday, Haring, Souttar, Halkett, Moore, Popescu, Brandon, Henderson, McGill, Roberts.

Contracts expiring 2023:

Naismith, Damour, Boyce

I can’t see many changes in January, but would like to see Smith, Kingsley and McGill being tied down to longer contracts.  Still undecided about Irving, but as he’s 20 might be worth another contract to see if he progresses.

There will again be a big turn around in players again this summer, we need to take steps now to ensure our recruitment is far, far better than the standard we have now.

Another three years of Naismith running around shouting and doing next to **** all. 

Damour :facepalm:

Edited by Salad Fingers
TYPO

28 minutes ago, Getintaethem said:

Contracts expiring 2021:

Contracts expiring 2022:

Contracts expiring 2023:

Naismith, Damour, Boyce

A well considered post.

24 minutes ago, everton_jambo said:

Might be 131 years for us, it’s Neilsons third defeat to them in as many seasons.

He needs to understand that while he might be able to pull that kind of stuff at Dundee Utd and get away with it, it’s not going to be acceptable here.

He doesn’t seem to learn - in fact it looks as though that’s about 5 games in a row at recreation park his team hasn’t scored

reading his comments yesterday I’m sure he doesn’t give a shit.  Another record he’s broken to go alongside his gift to the vermin when they won the cup year.  
I woke up this morning as angry about the game yesterday as I was when it finished.

It’s actually worse than the 5-0 Livvy game.  Apart from Gordon they can actually all GTF and leave this club. It’s a crying shame what we have become

Edited by 1971fozzy

15 minutes ago, 1971fozzy said:

reading his comments yesterday I’m sure he doesn’t give a shit.  Another record he’s broken to go alongside his gift to the vermin when they won the cup year.  
I woke up this morning as angry about the game yesterday as I was when it finished.

It’s actually worse than the 5-0 Livvy game.  Apart from Gordon they can actually all GTF and leave this club. It’s a crying shame what we have become

Agree about Livi. That was a total capitulation after going down to 10 men - inexcusable but Levein was suitably angry at least, and I can almost forgive the players losing the plot after the game had gone.

Yesterday was a pathetic effort against part timers and Neilsons reaction to it was embarrassing and says a lot about the culture at the club

33 minutes ago, part_time_jambo said:

Pity the fog didn't save us this time. I remember going to a cup tie at Alloa in the seventies and being behind and not looking like scoring. Then the fog came down, game was abandoned and Hearts won the rematch. 

This team shouldn't have need anything like that though. We've just beaten the same team 3-0. It can only be down to attitude, not ability.

It’s all about that last point.  We can’t just default to ‘they’re all shite” when against the same team midweek it was 3-0 going on 6 after 45 mins.  Fact of the matter is that the way we play suggests that there’s no appetite to be playing these teams.  We pelt them for 10-15 mins, then disappear into ourselves and get frustrated because we’re out of ideas and can’t be ****ed with it. That’s the irony though, because to get back to playing the big games they have to give a shit about winning at this level.  We can’t just continue to hope for cup draws against the uglies and the vermin to keep the motivation up.  

We’ve sent players on loan who would have seen this league as a real challenge and would have upped their game constantly to prove their worth. 

Someone on another thread nailed it.  We’re Sevco circa 2014/15.  Rather than giving younger players a chance or unearthing gems, we’ve decided to pay Premiership wages to guys like Naismith, Boyce and Halliday.  

3 minutes ago, everton_jambo said:

Agree about Livi. That was a total capitulation after going down to 10 men - inexcusable but Levein was suitably angry at least, and I can almost forgive the players losing the plot after the game had gone.

Yesterday was a pathetic effort against part timers and Neilsons reaction to it was embarrassing and says a lot about the culture at the club

100%. The public acceptance from Robbie about yesterday’s embarrassment shows how low this club has become now.

6 minutes ago, Gordon Ramsay said:

Sadly, this is all that matters to Annie nae clue. 

McKinlay seems to be getting an easy ride on here given that he’s the one responsible for the day to day football operation.

Gordon Ramsay
Just now, gashauskis9 said:

McKinlay seems to be getting an easy ride on here given that he’s the one responsible for the day to day football operation.

True, haven't heard a peep from him since he was appointed. 

12 minutes ago, Gordon Ramsay said:

Yep, yesterday on Sportsound was the first I heard from him...even then I'd kind of forgotten who he was!

17 minutes ago, Gordon Ramsay said:

He was on sportsound yesterday extolling his "diplomatic" attributes.

Just what we need:phface:

Pasquale for King
1 hour ago, Getintaethem said:

Contracts expiring 2021:

Contracts expiring 2022:

Contracts expiring 2023:

Naismith, Damour, Boyce

Out of that list Kingsley,Smith,Irving and Ginnelly if he can prove his fitness are worth keeping. Haring and Gordon from the year after unless anyone of the others show their worth. We need far more from Naismith and Boyce and just freeze Damour out altogether, let him train with the youngsters.  It then gives the manager a near blank canvas to work with. 

kingantti1874
44 minutes ago, gashauskis9 said:

hes responsible for the day to day running of the club.. not the football operation.

that is Robbie and JJ. Like it or lump it

The thing that annoys me about the signing policy is the continued signing of players who "would be out of our budget if they weren't a cripple". 

How many of these signings have worked out versus how much money has been spent on guys who spend all of their time out injured. 

"We've signed XXXX, he's only got one leg but we're hoping it'll grow back and he'll make a real impact. He was a great prospect before the landmine incident...." 

Edited by skinnybob72

A_A wehatethehibs

Looking at those contracts, I don’t see one player there who I wouldn’t be happy to see the back of except Craig Gordon and he’ll be 40 odd at that point. Maybe Irving but I would go as far as to say if he doesn’t start the next game at Morton, then I expect he will be wanting away in January in search of the game time he needs. He should’ve started yesterday, it was a good chance to give a couple of young players their opportunity and let senior players know there’s competition for places. 

Even if this group win the cup it’ll be hard to see many of these imposters remembered fondly like the last 2 cup winning sides. There’s such a lack of character, so many predictable dull players. Bad enough to make you actually miss Uche a bit. Grim 

Dusk_Till_Dawn
23 minutes ago, skinnybob72 said:

The thing that annoys me about the signing policy is the continued signing of players who "would be out of our budget if they weren't a cripple". 

How many of these signings have worked out versus how much money has been spent on guys who spend all of their time out injured. 

"We've signed XXXX, he's only got one leg but we're hoping it'll grow back and he'll make a real impact. He was a great prospect before the landmine incident...." 

Our targets seem to fall into three categories

1) ex Hearts players

2) obvious targets like Naismith/Lafferty

3) hopeless punts that Murray has watched a bit on YouTube 

This is a great achievement. Ann can put this award beside Craig's shiney 'worst run of results in our entire history' award from last year. Between scooping up all these awards on the footballing field and all our catering awards off it, Ann may soon have a use for the second floor of our ridiculously over priced stand.

2 hours ago, Salad Fingers said:

Another three years of Naismith running around shouting and doing next to **** all. 

Damour :facepalm:

Naismith has even stopped shouting as much now such is the apathy that has set in.

56 minutes ago, Gambo said:

Youths aside, we need to stop giving out contracts over 2 years long, managers and coaches included.

We should offer managers 6 month rolling contracts with an increase in salary if the 6 months are a success, while making it clear that certain results would result in an immediate sacking - such as yesterday or the 5-0 at Livingston. 

We just seem to accept failure far too readily. 

2 hours ago, skinnybob72 said:

Brilliant, many a true word spoken in jest...

2 hours ago, skinnybob72 said:

Fair play , bud. Some of your posts in the last couple of days have had me in hysterics. 

1 hour ago, skinnybob72 said:

We should offer managers 6 month rolling contracts with an increase in salary if the 6 months are a success, while making it clear that certain results would result in an immediate sacking - such as yesterday or the 5-0 at Livingston. 

We just seem to accept failure far too readily. 

the only folk that don’t accept failure are us - the supporters.

unfortunately the owner, management and players do accept failure . 

6 hours ago, NANOJAMBO said:

Fair play , bud. Some of your posts in the last couple of days have had me in hysterics. 

If you don't try to laugh you would cry! 

6 hours ago, 1971fozzy said:

the only folk that don’t accept failure are us - the supporters.

unfortunately the owner, management and players do accept failure . 

I'm not unrealistic / greedy in what I hope for and I don't think most of us are. I can accept that we will be outplayed and will lose games. What I find hard to accept is when we lose without the players appearing to really care - and we have seen so much of that in recent times. The absolute minimum is that players give it 100% for the full game - if we lose after that then, while I'll be disappointed, it happens. But when you have the budget we have compared to other teams it ought to happen a damn sight less often that it has. 

Teams like St Mirren and Hamilton to name just two don't fear us any more - even at Tynecastle - they know that if they make it a battle they will have a very good chance of coming away with something because our players just are not up for it. 

11 hours ago, part_time_jambo said:

One of my first ever away games ,remember it well.