Swapping The Wide Players

Billy Hoyle

What an earth is that all about!!! 
Another master stroke learned from Levein!!! 
Our wide players are bad enough trying to be consistent yet we swap them to the other side of the park every 10 minutes. 
Absolute desperation tactics!! 

2 minutes ago, Billy Hoyle said:

Our wide players are bad enough trying to be consistent yet we swap them to the other side of the park every 10 minutes. 

On their cypurrent form we don’t have any wide players 

MoncurMacdonaldMercer
3 minutes ago, Billy Hoyle said:

neilson is very strong tactically - probably something a bit too complex for just fans to understand

7 minutes ago, MoncurMacdonaldMercer said:

neilson is very strong tactically - probably something a bit too complex for just fans to understand

Sending the centre half up front the tactics of an amateur in the public park

I’m old fashioned , I like wingers like how Neil Mcann would run at the full back and sail past him on the outside , before whipping in a cross . 
Novakovis against hibs for Kyle to score 

footballs a simple game really 

Our wide players could be swapped with dustbins and it wouldn’t make us any worse.

White, Frear and Roberts.......absolute footballing frauds.

I see no point in persevering with Roberts and Frear - they’re both guff. Would rather have Moore and Henderson. Moore in particular has made far more positive contributions during the opportunities he’s had to play. Wouldn’t be hard, mind. I can’t think of a single telling pass or cross made by Roberts and Frear.

11 minutes ago, Nunya Business said:

Swapping wide players is quite commonplace in football now.

It does absolutely nothing to benefit us yet he does it 3 or 4 times in every game. The wingers are poor I agree but swapping them sides 3 or 4 times a game makes them worse!! 

15 minutes ago, S Form said:

I see no point in persevering with Roberts and Frear - they’re both guff. Would rather have Moore and Henderson. Moore in particular has made far more positive contributions during the opportunities he’s had to play. Wouldn’t be hard, mind. I can’t think of a single telling pass or cross made by Roberts and Frear.

or one that stayed in play😡

Frear is useless. Roberts is a runner but never a footballer. White is still living off winning a penalty v Hibs. Walker is no longer a winger, and TBH no longer much of a footballer. 

None of them are as good at crossing a football as the Alloa wingers who I don't know the names of and probably work as the local plumber most of the week...

Switching them makes no difference as far as I can tell because none of them is any good on either side...

(Ginelly looks ok but is crocked which seems to have left us with no wingers)

Edited by Spellczech

2 minutes ago, Spellczech said:

Frear is useless. Roberts is a runner but never a footballer. White is still living off winning a penalty v Hibs. Walker is no longer a winger, and TBH no longer much of a footballer. 

None of them are as good at crossing a football as the Alloa wingers who I don't know the names of and probably work as the local plumber most of the week...

Switching them makes no difference as far as I can tell because none of them is any good on either side...

(Ginelly looks ok but is crocked which seems to have left us with no wingers)

It’s incredible. We start of with 4? wingers, one gets injured and we now have 0 wingers.  

Jambof3tornado
59 minutes ago, MoncurMacdonaldMercer said:

Pish.

Pasquale for King
1 hour ago, MoncurMacdonaldMercer said:

Sarcasm at this time is not funny, at least use an emoji please 🙈

18Jambo_dave74

Roberts and Frear’s performances since signing have been abysmal, genuinely really awful.

So much so that Aidy White deservedly started on the wing today. He is not much better.

Neilson has to stop shoehorning Walker, Wighton, Lee and Naismith in to the team by playing them wide. He needs to stop keeping the ‘big name’ players happy and start picking a balanced team. 

I don’t rate Moore or Henderson at all but they are more than justified at asking why they aren’t getting a game. 

Ginnelly, based on initial appearances, is the spark in this team. The one decent wide  player with a bit of pace that can take a player on, have shots on goal and put crosses in to the box. I feel sorry for him as the longer he is out of the team the more he is built up (I’m just as guilty of doing this) but the alternatives have been shocking. 

8 minutes ago, 18Jambo_dave74 said:

Roberts and Frear’s performances since signing have been abysmal, genuinely really awful.

So much so that Aidy White deservedly started on the wing today. He is not much better.

Neilson has to stop shoehorning Walker, Wighton, Lee and Naismith in to the team by playing them wide. He needs to stop keeping the ‘big name’ players happy and start picking a balanced team. 

I don’t rate Moore or Henderson at all but they are more than justified at asking why they aren’t getting a game. 

Ginnelly, based on initial appearances, is the spark in this team. The one decent wide  player with a bit of pace that can take a player on, have shots on goal and put crosses in to the box. I feel sorry for him as the longer he is out of the team the more he is built up (I’m just as guilty of doing this) but the alternatives have been shocking. 

Struggling to remember a time when we had three very poor players all jockying for the same position (wide left), none of whom give much confidence that they can beat a man and deliver a decent cross.

I thought that Roberts was marginally better than White today, but that's not much of a compliment as it would be hard to contribute less. Kingsley deserves better.

Stephane Grappelli

We could swap them for something more useful.  A bag of cement for example.

Edited by Stephane Grappelli

12 hours ago, 18Jambo_dave74 said:

This incarnation of Neilson does feel similar to Lazlo.  

-Eye bleeding build up play 

-one striker who is having to come into his own half to get a sniff of the ball

-A guy in midfield who’d rather be doing media work

-best winger out injured all the time 

-talented young players not getting a look in or a chance to prove they’re better

Gordon Ramsay
17 hours ago, MoncurMacdonaldMercer said:

Strong tactically 🤣🤣🤣

5 hours ago, gashauskis9 said:

This incarnation of Neilson does feel similar to Lazlo.  

-Eye bleeding build up play 

-one striker who is having to come into his own half to get a sniff of the ball

-A guy in midfield who’d rather be doing media work

-best winger out injured all the time 

-talented young players not getting a look in or a chance to prove they’re better

A very sparing and succinct synopsis of our problems.  

20 hours ago, Billy Hoyle said:

Switching wingers is something that has happened for a long as I remember.

19 hours ago, RoiK said:

The quality of our crossing today was appalling. 

True. Roberts did get one or two in that were in the right place and at pace. I don't share the general view that he's rubbish, he was our best crosser of the ball yesterday.

highlandjambo3
20 hours ago, 3fingersreid said:

I’m old fashioned , I like wingers like how Neil Mcann would run at the full back and sail past him on the outside , before whipping in a cross . 
Novakovis against hibs for Kyle to score 

footballs a simple game really 

I kind of get this.......players natural ability is stifled by over thinking tactical what the manager wants from them and, what they should be doing in every scenario......I think it takes a second or two more “think“ time for the player to work it out stifling any natural ability...my opinion of course.

20 hours ago, DH1986 said:

Our wide players could be swapped with dustbins and it wouldn’t make us any worse.

White, Frear and Roberts.......absolute footballing frauds.

What Neilson saw in Frear and Roberts is absolutely beyond me. 

1 hour ago, upgotheheads said:

Switching wingers is something that has happened for a long as I remember.

True. Roberts did get one or two in that were in the right place and at pace. I don't share the general view that he's rubbish, he was our best crosser of the ball yesterday.

😂😂😂😂😂😂

MoncurMacdonaldMercer
5 hours ago, Gordon Ramsay said:

Strong tactically 🤣🤣🤣

just quoting from here mate

”instilled a winning mentality” :lol:

”hard-on for points”  :lol:

just a couple of other classics on the back of thrashing a horrendous Dundee and scraping past Arbroath  

:(

alwaysthereinspirit
22 hours ago, RoiK said:

The quality of our crossing today was appalling. 

Today? The last 4/5 seasons.

Free kicks,  corners or open play. We’re $#!te at crossing.

When he was scoring goals for other clubs, did Liam Boyce have wingers putting in crosses for him to attack? I guess so. Pretty sure John Sutton did at Motherwell.

Under Robbie first time round he preferred playing Nicholson and Walker wide but cutting inside to shoot. King was the one with pace who aimed for the by line and put crosses in to the box. But he was allowed to leave.

The closest we have had since in terms of pacy wingers who look to cross were Morrison - who has been allowed to leave - and Moore who looked good under Stendel but hasn't been given a chance since.

Ginnelly might be the answer if he gets fit but he is getting better and better the longer he is out! Frear and Roberts seem to be no better and imo worse than Morrison and Moore.

Walker, Wighton and White aren't wingers now or ever.

One option is to play Smith and Kingsley further forward as they are pretty much our best crossers.

On the original post, swapping wingers over can work sometimes depending on the match up with the opposition fullbacks but it is a once in three or four games tactic not a three or four times in one game tactic.

9 hours ago, Stephane Grappelli said:

We could swap them for something more useful.  A bag of cement for example.

I hear there’s a traffic cone on the corner of McLeod Street and the Gorgie Road. Reeks of pish, but you can scud a size 5 off it pretty well.

On 28/11/2020 at 18:49, Billy Hoyle said:

23 hours ago, Nunya Business said:

Swapping wide players is quite commonplace in football now.

Good wingers can swap successfully average wingers can’t ! and Roberts and frear are imo below average  !

On 28/11/2020 at 19:18, merrymac said:

I thought you were talking about something useful like a new lawnmower, or a coffee machine for the office.

😂

Stephane Grappelli
5 hours ago, chimpto said:

I hear there’s a traffic cone on the corner of McLeod Street and the Gorgie Road. Reeks of pish, but you can scud a size 5 off it pretty well.

Couldn't be any worse than Frear.