Why was Stendel punted?

heatonjambo

Pasquale for King
1 hour ago, tcjambo said:

We were only really good under Robbie when Gomis was firing on all cylinders and to a lesser extent Djoum. We badly need a player like Gomis to dictate the tempo. Why we signed Halliday I have no idea?

So weird to hear the commentators say Falkirk had to have Gomis dictate play today against Rangers. 
As for Halliday it’s all a bit Hunlike at the club. 

• Replies 274
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Bongo 1874

• Unknown user

• heatonjambo

• jambocall51

jack D and coke
5 hours ago, Hashimoto said:

In some ways you are absolutely correct.

The difference for me is.........Stendel was an untried quantity that might, or might not have worked...We will never know!

Whereas you just know what you are going to get with Neilson at the helm

That’s how I feel. I’m not going to claim he was going to be incredible but he wouldve changed the whole mentality of the club. Got us playing with some intent for a change. It’s mind numbing watching Hearts these days. 
The Germans play the game properly. 
I don’t want Robbie to fail I don’t dislike him and he’ll get my support but I’m bored watching us again already. 

Edited by jack D and coke

1 hour ago, Saughton Jambo said:

I think we were all disappointed in how it ended. He was the most enthusiastic manager I’ve ever seen at Tynecastle and I believe with his own team he’d have had us back to the 3rd force. Of course this would be at a significant expense. I think we bottled it in the end by not giving him the autonomy other managers had before him. 

It was me with the flag mate and I’ve still got it. Never got my monies worth as it was only at Easter road and the last game at paisley. I was going to gibe it to him as a parting gift as I knew he lived at quartermile when he was here. If you have an address for him could you pm me it? Or alternatively I could give you the flag and you can post it to him. 

Thanks mate 

What flag was it? Racking my brain trying to remember

20 minutes ago, Smithee said:

So are you claiming to know Ann's thoughts, that we'll be getting rid of Robbie and reappointing Stendel?

Or perhaps he’s eager to return when Budge eventually leaves? 

Just now, Last Laff said:

Or perhaps he’s eager to return when Budge eventually leaves? 

Perhaps Wallace is more of a fan of Stendel than Budge? 

36 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

So weird to hear the commentators say Falkirk had to have Gomis dictate play today against Rangers. 
As for Halliday it’s all a bit Hunlike at the club. 

Halliday is more interested in being on super scoreboard again today it seems. 

On 29/11/2020 at 17:05, Bongo 1874 said:

In talks with Sunderland 👍, his agent has informed Celtic too. 

See the evening news are now reporting this but according to some, they don't copy stuff from here 🤔

'I was angry' - Ex-Hearts starlet Anthony McDonald on Craig Levein loan decision and praise for Daniel Stendel
Former Hearts starlet Anthony McDonald admitted he was “angry” at Craig Levein’s decision to loan him to Dunfermline Athletic last season.
By Joel Sked
Tuesday, 1st December 2020, 4:45 pm

Anthony Mcdonald is in Spain after leaving Hearts. Picture: SNS
Anthony Mcdonald is in Spain after leaving Hearts. Picture: SNS
The 19-year-old left Tynecastle this past summer to join Spanish side Cordoba in a “fresh start” after a difficult final season in Gorgie.

McDonald thought he was primed to be a part of the first-team last campaign after impressing in the Betfred Cup, including netting his only goal for the club in a win over Cowdenbeath.

However, Levein, who recognised the creative talents of the midfielder felt he needed to improve on his “defensive duties”, opted to lend him to the Pars.

to our Hearts newsletter
Enter your email

“I scored in the League Cup and I was doing well,” McDonald told the Scots Abroad podcast. “I was angry he wanted me out on loan.

"I was ready to play. I was scoring nigh on every game for the reserves, playing well, I had a run of games. That was probably the best I’ve felt in the past few years playing football because I was training at a good level, I was performing well.

"Obviously I picked up the injury before I went to Dunfermline but I was really disappointed when he said to me I was going out on loan.

"I’m young and you can say it was greedy but I don’t think it was greedy, I thought I was ready to play, ready to compete for a place in the team. I’m not saying that I was wanting to start every week but I think I was ready to compete for a place in the team.”

McDonald, who is yet to play for his new side due to a back injury, played just twice for Dunfermline before being recalled by Daniel Stendel.

Despite just two sub appearances under the German, the player took a liking to the former Tynecastle boss.

With Stendel everything was a hundred miles an hour,” McDonald said. “Everything was pressure, running, pressure, pressure. If you can get it right, unreal.

"Maybe the language barrier, it was sometimes a little bit difficult for him to get his points across but you could tell he was a very, very good coach.

“I liked him. He spoke to me fairly regularly, said to me what he wanted from me. He was very good, mad but good.”

20 minutes ago, Bongo 1874 said:

See the evening news are now reporting this but according to some, they don't copy stuff from here 🤔

They've copied it from the Sunderland Echo who are reporting it this evening. 

He’d be crazy to go there and must have learned nothing from his mistake of taking the hearts Job on. 

1 minute ago, NlGHTMARE said:

He’d be crazy to go there and must have learned nothing from his mistake of taking the hearts Job on. 

His mistake wasn't taking the job, his mistake was doing a poor job

Dusk_Till_Dawn
7 minutes ago, Bongo 1874 said:

'I was angry' - Ex-Hearts starlet Anthony McDonald on Craig Levein loan decision and praise for Daniel Stendel
Former Hearts starlet Anthony McDonald admitted he was “angry” at Craig Levein’s decision to loan him to Dunfermline Athletic last season.
By Joel Sked
Tuesday, 1st December 2020, 4:45 pm

Anthony Mcdonald is in Spain after leaving Hearts. Picture: SNS
Anthony Mcdonald is in Spain after leaving Hearts. Picture: SNS
The 19-year-old left Tynecastle this past summer to join Spanish side Cordoba in a “fresh start” after a difficult final season in Gorgie.

McDonald thought he was primed to be a part of the first-team last campaign after impressing in the Betfred Cup, including netting his only goal for the club in a win over Cowdenbeath.

However, Levein, who recognised the creative talents of the midfielder felt he needed to improve on his “defensive duties”, opted to lend him to the Pars.

to our Hearts newsletter
Enter your email

“I scored in the League Cup and I was doing well,” McDonald told the Scots Abroad podcast. “I was angry he wanted me out on loan.

"I was ready to play. I was scoring nigh on every game for the reserves, playing well, I had a run of games. That was probably the best I’ve felt in the past few years playing football because I was training at a good level, I was performing well.

"Obviously I picked up the injury before I went to Dunfermline but I was really disappointed when he said to me I was going out on loan.

"I’m young and you can say it was greedy but I don’t think it was greedy, I thought I was ready to play, ready to compete for a place in the team. I’m not saying that I was wanting to start every week but I think I was ready to compete for a place in the team.”

McDonald, who is yet to play for his new side due to a back injury, played just twice for Dunfermline before being recalled by Daniel Stendel.

Despite just two sub appearances under the German, the player took a liking to the former Tynecastle boss.

With Stendel everything was a hundred miles an hour,” McDonald said. “Everything was pressure, running, pressure, pressure. If you can get it right, unreal.

"Maybe the language barrier, it was sometimes a little bit difficult for him to get his points across but you could tell he was a very, very good coach.

“I liked him. He spoke to me fairly regularly, said to me what he wanted from me. He was very good, mad but good.”

That will be MacDonald on the apologists’ blacklist 

5 minutes ago, NlGHTMARE said:

I said contact had been made on the 29th go back and check. 

And he never made a mistake taking the Hearts job on 3rd biggest club in Scotland, with the possibility of playing European Football? 

Just now, Smithee said:

His mistake was taking a Job with the wrong tools, Hearts didn’t have the type of players needed to play his brand of football, nor do Sunderland. His next job as to be at a club like ours, who have been actively signing his type of players for a number of years before his arrival, otherwise he’s going to need 4 transfer windows if not more and that’s never going to happen. 

Dusk_Till_Dawn
4 minutes ago, Smithee said:

Small sample size though. Levein seemed to get no end of leeway in comparison, as did McPhee (whose actual input I still can’t figure out)

Just now, NlGHTMARE said:

His mistake was taking a Job with the wrong tools, Hearts didn’t have the type of players needed to play his brand of football, nor do Sunderland. His next job as to be at a club like ours, who have been actively signing his type of players for a number of years before his arrival, otherwise he’s going to need 4 transfer windows if not more and that’s never going to happen. 

Nah, we were on a downward trajectory with poor signings made and the poorest keeper we've had being picked every week.

He ****ed it up.

9 minutes ago, Dusk_Till_Dawn said:

Small sample size though. Levein seemed to get no end of leeway in comparison, as did McPhee (whose actual input I still can’t figure out)

It's nothing to do with leeway, Levein failed and so did Stendel

Edited by Smithee

3 minutes ago, NlGHTMARE said:

If he had been allowed to stay on we would've got the players to play his style 👍

3 minutes ago, Bongo 1874 said:

I said contact had been made on the 29th go back and check. 

And he never made a mistake taking the Hearts job on 3rd biggest club in Scotland, with the possibility of playing European Football? 

I know but they’ve waited until 20 minutes after the Sunderland Echo have reported it to do a report themselves I’d say it’s them they’ve copied from not here.

Just now, NlGHTMARE said:

I know but they’ve waited until 20 minutes after the Sunderland Echo have reported it to do a report themselves I’d say it’s them they’ve copied from not here.

Wouldn't suprise me, I feel we do have players that can play his style of football here, and given time we would of been a force under him. 

1 minute ago, Bongo 1874 said:

If he had been allowed to stay on we would've got the players to play his style 👍

But he wasn’t allowed to stay, because he didn’t do a good enough job, the reason he didn’t do a good enough job was because he didn’t have the players needed. Be the same at Sunderland. They’ll sack him before he’s got what he needs to do his job, managers don’t get time anymore, he needs to be joining a club with his type of players already. 

Just now, Bongo 1874 said:

Imagine blaming Stendel for a goalkeeper he didn't even sign, and what he was left with Coco Doyle, and Bobby 😂

Bobby is way better than the other 2 so yeah, he carries blame for picking Pereira

1 minute ago, NlGHTMARE said:

But he wasn’t allowed to stay, because he didn’t do a good enough job, the reason he didn’t do a good enough job was because he didn’t have the players needed. Be the same at Sunderland. They’ll sack him before he’s got what he needs to do his job, managers don’t get time anymore, he needs to be joining a club with his type of players already. 

Don't agree we had levein 2.5yrs at us, Scottish football teams can't afford to get rid of managers all the time, we should of kept Stendel on and promoted youth with him getting his own players in. 

1 minute ago, Smithee said:

Bobby is way better than the other 2 so yeah, he carries blame for picking Pereira

Bobby's pish mate 

Why was Daniel punted?? Probably because other than a couple of wins over rangers and one over Hibs we were absolutely shite. 

All this nonsense that he didn't have the players blah blah. Any good manager would set his team up to suit the players you have and until such time as you can bring in the type of player to play your system. Unfortunately though Daniel isn't a very good manager. 

2 minutes ago, Bongo 1874 said:

Bobby's pish mate 

Still WAY better than Pereira, at least the guy made saves now and again.

I liked Stendel, I could see what he wanted to do and I'd have kept him on, but he misjudged our short term situation and made mistakes, I dont see how that's even up for debate TBH.

11 minutes ago, Bongo 1874 said:

Imagine blaming Stendel for a goalkeeper he didn't even sign, and what he was left with Coco Doyle, and Bobby 😂

I don't think anyone is blaming him for his signing but more for the way he persisted with him despite him not looking remotely like a professional goalkeeper......

But I think you probably already knew that. 

7 minutes ago, jambogemz said:

I don't think anyone is blaming him for his signing but more for the way he persisted with him despite him not looking remotely like a professional goalkeeper......

But I think you probably already knew that. 

What chance did he have? I've just stated all three goalkeepers we had, were horse shit, but I think you probably already knew that. 

He's not got a magic wand. 

17 minutes ago, jambogemz said:

Why was Daniel punted?? Probably because other than a couple of wins over rangers and one over Hibs we were absolutely shite. 

All this nonsense that he didn't have the players blah blah. Any good manager would set his team up to suit the players you have and until such time as you can bring in the type of player to play your system. Unfortunately though Daniel isn't a very good manager. 

3 months 👍you are making that assumption on. 

Edited by Bongo 1874

Just now, Bongo 1874 said:

What chance did he have? I've just stated all three goalkeepers we had, were horse shit, but I think you probably already knew that. 

He's not got a magic wand. 

He had a keeper of much better quality than the one he picked and a transfer window to do something about an obvious problem position if he didn't fancy Bobby.

I think he would have been a success in the end too but he was too intent on implementing his style mid season over short term pragmatism, he got the balance wrong.

I get that you like him but you're denying gravity here.

3 minutes ago, Smithee said:

He had a keeper of much better quality than the one he picked and a transfer window to do something about an obvious problem position if he didn't fancy Bobby.

I think he would have been a success in the end too but he was too intent on implementing his style mid season over short term pragmatism, he got the balance wrong.

I get that you like him but you're denying gravity here.

First of all the guy had his, hands tied as soon as he was in the building, he didn't have a budget to work of, due to the incumbent that was in charge before him, he tried to get Gordon in, but celtic played hardball. 

2 minutes ago, Bongo 1874 said:

First of all the guy had his, hands tied as soon as he was in the building, he didn't have a budget to work of, due to the incumbent that was in charge before him, he tried to get Gordon in, but celtic played hardball. 

That’s incorrect. 

9 minutes ago, Bongo 1874 said:

Well so you say. Celtic were never going to rescue us from a relegation dogfight, but it's irrelevant anyway, we had a better keeper on our books.

How many Hearts fans don't think Bobby's a better keeper than Pereira?

Edited by Smithee

1 hour ago, jambogemz said:

Ok,

following your logic, why didn’t:

leviein do this

cathro do this

the long haired muppet do this 

all of whom where CL devotees 

in a hand full of games he had to turn it around.

he had no chance, but I will admit I felt excited that something new and different might happen

Dusk_Till_Dawn
35 minutes ago, Smithee said:

Well so you say. Celtic were never going to rescue us from a relegation dogfight, but it's irrelevant anyway, we had a better keeper on our books.

How many Hearts fans don't think Bobby's a better keeper than Pereira?

Bobby is the better keeper but they’re both wank

38 minutes ago, Bongo 1874 said:

100% correct......Lennon would rather hell freeze over before he would do business with Hearts.

Gordon was desperate to come in January......Stendel was desperate to sign him......Lennon firmly slammed the door on that deal.....There was even talk about Celtic wanting Hickey in return......which would have been crazy on Hearts part knowing Celtic's "biscuit tin" mentality.

I suppose we could all argue for days about whether he failed or not, but one thing we can surely agree on is that he certainly didn't succeed.

2 minutes ago, Smithee said:

I suppose we could all argue for days about whether he failed or not, but one thing we can surely agree on is that he certainly didn't succeed.

You're right Smithee he didn't succeed.....however, due to circumstances he never stood a chance!

The opportunity to succeed was denied him when Budge made that fateful decision that Sunday......

The thing is....There was a lot more optimism about this place when Stendel finally signed. The same enthusiasm was not apparent when the news broke that Neilson had returned.

4 minutes ago, Hashimoto said:

You're right Smithee he didn't succeed.....however, due to circumstances he never stood a chance!

The opportunity to succeed was denied him when Budge made that fateful decision that Sunday......

The thing is....There was a lot more optimism about this place when Stendel finally signed. The same enthusiasm was not apparent when the news broke that Neilson had returned.

Correct

enthusiasm was actually drained 

19 minutes ago, Hashimoto said:

100% correct......Lennon would rather hell freeze over before he would do business with Hearts.

Gordon was desperate to come in January......Stendel was desperate to sign him......Lennon firmly slammed the door on that deal.....There was even talk about Celtic wanting Hickey in return......which would have been crazy on Hearts part knowing Celtic's "biscuit tin" mentality.

False. Stendel had no desire to bring Gordon in. He was given a budget in January and wanted attackers. Said he was happy with the ‘keepers he had. It was Craig and Ann having discussions directly. It was only when she made funds available for CG that wouldn’t affect his budget he agreed. So by the time it took us to note our interest in him it was too late as Bain was injured and Celtic had no time to acquire a replacement. It was Lawwell, Lennon didn’t even get an opinion.

12 minutes ago, Hashimoto said:

Stendel was not without fault.

If the season had run to the end I have no idea how it would have panned out, and as I say, long term I think he would have worked out. But short term he ****ed up.

41 minutes ago, DS98 said:

False. Stendel had no desire to bring Gordon in. He was given a budget in January and wanted attackers. Said he was happy with the ‘keepers he had. It was Craig and Ann having discussions directly. It was only when she made funds available for CG that wouldn’t affect his budget he agreed. So by the time it took us to note our interest in him it was too late as Bain was injured and Celtic had no time to acquire a replacement. It was Lawwell, Lennon didn’t even get an opinion.

False Stendel was not given a budget in January, he was required to get players out the door, before he could even bring any in as the budget had been blown, he was stuck with a goalkeeper on loan from Man Utd, if we had asked to terminate the loan we would've still had to pay money, so didnt make sense terminating the loan deal, Stendel did want to bring Craig in but you have to remember what sort of wage Craig was on at Celtic, and the fact lennon never wanted to do business anyway. 

Edited by Bongo 1874

20 minutes ago, Smithee said:

Stendel was not without fault.

If the season had run to the end I have no idea how it would have panned out, and as I say, long term I think he would have worked out. But short term he ****ed up.

Agreed, plenty of faults with Stendel. 

I think if we had continued last season he would have kept us up, just. The way it was panning out, it most likely would have gone down to a nerve shredding, life shortening, last day of the season. 

Malinga the Swinga
1 minute ago, Fraggle said:

Agreed, plenty of faults with Stendel. 

I think if we had continued last season he would have kept us up, just. The way it was panning out, it most likely would have gone down to a nerve shredding, life shortening, last day of the season. 

Given how he inspired us to defeat in the match against St Mirren, a game we all knew was a must win, no one could say with 1% confidence we would have won any big game we had left. 

He left because his record was horrific but because he was foreign, chatted to fans, spoke about a Gegenpress, he had his supporters who still refuse to acknowledge he failed. 

9 minutes ago, Malinga the Swinga said:

Given how he inspired us to defeat in the match against St Mirren, a game we all knew was a must win, no one could say with 1% confidence we would have won any big game we had left. 

He left because his record was horrific but because he was foreign, chatted to fans, spoke about a Gegenpress, he had his supporters who still refuse to acknowledge he failed. 

Or you can genuinely notice he had only 3 months wasn't really given a decent budget, was prepared to play youth and a attractive way of playing football, maybe wasn't able to get the job done against Hamilton etc, but certainly never lost to a team as shit as dunfermline or alloa yet the guy in charge that has is the right guy for the job, and had a set of balls unlike past managers we've had, christophe berra back into the fold, that tells me right there what Robbie Neilson knows about football any time the guy plays, teams on purpose press are other centre half knowing the ball will go to him, but he's so shit and doesn't have any footballing ability with a ball whatsoever it's either a left footed punt up the park or, to turn back with the ball to the goalkeeper or pass it sideways, resulting in heehaw. 

Edited by Bongo 1874