Why was Stendel punted?

heatonjambo

10 hours ago, JimmyCant said:

1. The results weren’t great Another couple of wins and he’d still be here

2. The money he would have needed to build a team evaporated in a cloud of Covid snot.

3. He was technically out of contract and our owner preferred what she thought was a CHEAPER pair of hands.

STFY

• Replies 274
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Bongo 1874

• Unknown user

• heatonjambo

• jambocall51

10 hours ago, Smith's right boot said:

Stendel, cares more about Hearts than Cl.

Stendel, never heard of us- hero.

Stendel- taken us to bottom of the league- hero.

Stendel- made good Jan signings.

Stendel-best man for the job.

Stendel- tactical genius.

Stendel- klopp mk2,

Good story.

In a way you could say he cares about hearts more, I mean just speaking facts here he gave up what his full wage, did levein? 

18 hours ago, Nunya Business said:

Stendel was undone by individual errors made by experienced pros. It wasn't tactics or approach that ruined us, it was the defence giving away cheap goals and the goalkeeping department being so horrendously poor.

Worth remembering he earned more points with those losers over the same number of games as the guy someone on this board has described as "Our Craig".

This above mirrors my thoughts on it.

How was he to know that Souttar and Halkett both who are close to being Scottish internationals would give away soft goals every game.

The goalkeepers also had a nightmare last season.

I believe we should have kept him and let him take us up this season whilst improving the squad for a better crack at the premier league next season.

gordon simpson
19 hours ago, jambocall51 said:

**** sake sorry but this is what’s wrong with us we’re happy with hoofball mangers! We where always going to go down it was inevitable if I’m honest the foundations we had built whilst with levein completely crashed down we where like a sinking ship. The smart thing to do was to give stendel a pre season and let him bring in his players budge never gave him that

agree we need to break away from this mundane Scottish hoofball style  

Why does the fact that Neilson is starting to disappoint all of a sudden mean that Stendel would have been a better option?  Anyone who thinks Stendel would have done a better job getting a tune out these players is kidding themselves. The same attitude issues are manifesting that did last season.  Clueless away from home against smaller teams.  Same room, different sign on the door.  

Said on another thread.

Levein didn’t like him, wasn’t cuddly enough for budge and he probably wanted the majority of the team and culture to change. If only he was given the summer it would at least be decent football by now. 

1 minute ago, gashauskis9 said:

Why does the fact that Neilson is starting to disappoint all of a sudden mean that Stendel would have been a better option?  Anyone who thinks Stendel would have done a better job getting a tune out these players is kidding themselves. The same attitude issues are manifesting that did last season.  Clueless away from home against smaller teams.  Same room, different sign on the door.  

He won the league with Barnsley against smaller teams given time and players he wanted. 

3 minutes ago, gashauskis9 said:

In some ways you are absolutely correct.

The difference for me is.........Stendel was an untried quantity that might, or might not have worked...We will never know!

Whereas you just know what you are going to get with Neilson at the helm

Just now, j1964m said:

Stendel knew what dross he had to work with think he was happy he did not need to come back

I don't think he knew what a mess the club was in when he arrived and maybe naively thought he could change it quicker than was possible. When you have players who have been signed to playing a completely different way to how you want to play then you're on a hiding to nothing. He was a coach who preferred nurturing young players, he was starting to do that with Irving, Henderson and Moore, and also a coach who wanted to improve some of the players he already had. This was also working to an extent as Clare, Bozanic and Washington upped their game. He was always going to get a few whingers who weren't prepared or capable to change. Mulraney and Whelan the obvious ones and then the club captain who bleated to the press of how unfair life is. Tough! The mind-set needed changed, too many in their comfort zone. Had he still been around i very much doubt the likes of Frear, Roberts, Popescu and Berra would've been. The defence would've been the next problem area to sort and the chances are it would've been by now. He signed Boyce to play his style, it's backfiring on Boyce now having to come deeper in the dull lethargic style we knew from the past. Sibbick looked the part. Avdijaj and Langer were a waste of time but all managers sign a dud now and again. At least they weren't on long contracts like certain folk. Shame he didn't get the time needed to get rid of over half the team but you can only do so much in such a short space of time.

1 minute ago, A_A wehatethehibs said:

Getting us relegated wasn’t exactly the “new manager bounce” we were hoping for. 

He didn’t get us relegated. 

Would Stendel get better results against Alloa and Dunfermline? I doubt it very much. I really don't give a **** about nice football, results are what matters and he also had an inability to get them against teams that sit in.

A_A wehatethehibs
12 minutes ago, Last Laff said:

He didn’t get us relegated. 

That’s a bit like saying, technically The Titanic, didn’t actually sink. Its at the bottom of the ocean 

Just now, A_A wehatethehibs said:

That’s a bit like saying, technically The Titanic, didn’t actually sink. Its at the bottom of the ocean 

We had plenty time to stay up.  We lost in Paisley but pumped Hibs and Rangers.  I don’t believe we would have went down. 

A_A wehatethehibs
12 minutes ago, Last Laff said:

We had plenty time to stay up.  We lost in Paisley but pumped Hibs and Rangers.  I don’t believe we would have went down. 

Yes and if the titanic hadn’t hit that iceberg it wouldn’t have gone down either. Those “must win” games which we did not win, in particular Hamilton and St Mirren, were the iceberg. So you can delude yourself if you want, but you’ll always have someone like me pointing out the reality to you 

Maybe in some alternate timeline, that particular sick bat didn’t shit on that chinaman’s breakfast, down the wet market in Wuhan. Sadly in this universe it did, and we’re playing championship football because we did not win the must win games under Stendel. And so ends the story. 

It’s difficult to know if Stendel was the right manager but a few observations:

1. mere days after his appointment, at the AGM, AB announced that his first objective was to secure a top 6 position.  That seemed hopelessly optimistic. By that time, it was clear to most of us that the first priority should have been to avoid relegation.  
  2. 13/14 league games + 3 cup games is hardly a representative period to form a real judgment.  It takes a long time to build a decent squad.  We used more than 30 players last season and I wonder how many were of the right quality to wear the maroon jersey.
  3. His January signings were poor but, realistically, how easy was it to persuade players to come to a team in a dogfight to avoid relegation?
  4. we definitely played more attractive football with a higher pressing game but our defence was easily turned by the long ball. He did not have the players to execute his style of football.  He did seem slow to react to the need to change his system.
  5. a friend who is a Barnsley season ticket holder and qualified coach told me, just as DS was being appointed, that DS was excellent when Barnsley were in Div 1 and pressing forward.  However, when promoted to the Championship, my friend thought he was slow to change his system to build a stronger defence against more potent attacks. We certainly saw that.  Alarm bells were raised for me, when my friend told me that he thought that Heckingbottom was a better manager at Barnsley!

ABs failure to advise DS that he was being replaced was shockingly poor.  The appointment of RN should have been kept confidential by all parties until DS had been informed.  In this day and age, technology has made communication easy.

On balance, I’d have given DS this season to make his mark.  That said, I have trust in Robbie, albeit it’s inescapable that some of his summer signings don’t look great.  I fear that promotion this season will not be nearly as deliverable as it was last time!

16 minutes ago, A_A wehatethehibs said:

Yes and if the titanic hadn’t hit that iceberg it wouldn’t have gone down either. Those “must win” games which we did not win, in particular Hamilton and St Mirren, were the iceberg. So you can delude yourself if you want, but you’ll always have someone like me pointing out the reality to you 

Maybe in some alternate timeline, that particular sick bat didn’t shit on that chinaman’s breakfast, down the wet market in Wuhan. Sadly in this universe it did, and we’re playing championship football because we did not win the must win games under Stendel. And so ends the story. 

The iceberg was hit before Daniel arrived.  Levein caused it.  Budge was too worried about the brass band playing to notice. 

There was 8 must wins that didn’t get played.  

27 minutes ago, A_A wehatethehibs said:

The Titanic DID hit the iceberg and the bat DID shit. Those things are beyond doubt. What IS in doubt is whether or not we WOULD HAVE been relegated. Thats the reality and the very essence of why we went to court etc etc. We’ll never know. It wasn’t looking great admittedly but we were ‘relegated’ by an unfair adjudication. Surely it’s not that easy to forget and dismiss what actually happened to us ? We failed to win some games which were labelled as ‘must win’ but we still had plenty of ‘must win’ games left to save ourselves so the previous ‘must win’ games weren’t truly ‘must win’ when you look at it that way.

We were sailing in dangerous waters with a big iceberg in front of us. Neil Doncaster et al made sure we hit it and got all their pals in the lifeboats before hand 

Edited by JimmyCant

gordon simpson
1 hour ago, jambonian said:

I don't think he knew what a mess the club was in when he arrived and maybe naively thought he could change it quicker than was possible. When you have players who have been signed to playing a completely different way to how you want to play then you're on a hiding to nothing. He was a coach who preferred nurturing young players, he was starting to do that with Irving, Henderson and Moore, and also a coach who wanted to improve some of the players he already had. This was also working to an extent as Clare, Bozanic and Washington upped their game. He was always going to get a few whingers who weren't prepared or capable to change. Mulraney and Whelan the obvious ones and then the club captain who bleated to the press of how unfair life is. Tough! The mind-set needed changed, too many in their comfort zone. Had he still been around i very much doubt the likes of Frear, Roberts, Popescu and Berra would've been. The defence would've been the next problem area to sort and the chances are it would've been by now. He signed Boyce to play his style, it's backfiring on Boyce now having to come deeper in the dull lethargic style we knew from the past. Sibbick looked the part. Avdijaj and Langer were a waste of time but all managers sign a dud now and again. At least they weren't on long contracts like certain folk. Shame he didn't get the time needed to get rid of over half the team but you can only do so much in such a short space of time.

best post on this cesspit JKB  forum well said sir 

2 hours ago, CloustonHMFC said:

Would Stendel get better results against Alloa and Dunfermline? I doubt it very much. I really don't give a **** about nice football, results are what matters and he also had an inability to get them against teams that sit in.

He would have had time to bring in his own players and more time to implement his style of football. A few of the players still taking a wage would have been told they are not required. Their is never a guarantee that a new manager is going to work, but he deserved at least a full season and it seems to me that our owner used our demotion as a chance to bring Robbie back. At least Stendel when he was here united the support but Neilson has not been back long, and already the support is split due to to dull possession football we all knew was coming when he walked back into Tynecastle. Let’s hope he looks on here as no supporters in the grounds to let him know,  and the media never give him a hard time also. Time for him to walk the walk as he talked about getting pace in wide areas early on and Ginnelly the only one that’s looked likely of providing that. 

A_A wehatethehibs
1 hour ago, Last Laff said:

The iceberg was hit before Daniel arrived.  Levein caused it.  Budge was too worried about the brass band playing to notice. 

To take this analogy a bit deeper, if you’ll pardon the pun. There were many many factors to the titanic sinking. The design. The lack of today’s advanced engineering knowledge of superstructures - They didn’t know how to properly build ships that huge. The materials and craftsmanship - mix of iron and steel rivets was used to save costs. The route the captain chose. The far too high speed. The fog and visibility. There was a fire in the engineering that made the hull more brittle, the fire burned for 2 whole weeks before the ships maiden voyage! First time the coal had been fully loaded. Should not have sailed in fact, but white star line were financially up the creek and went forward with it.

But there was only 1 Iceberg. It was Hamilton and St mirren that directly put us where we are today at the bottom of the ocean. And Stendel was at the helm.

Edited by A_A wehatethehibs

10 minutes ago, A_A wehatethehibs said:

To take this analogy a bit deeper, if you’ll pardon the pun. There were many many factors to the titanic sinking. The design. The lack of today’s advanced engineering knowledge of superstructures - They didn’t know how to properly build ships that huge. The materials and craftsmanship - mix of iron and steel rivets was used to save costs. The route the captain chose. The far too high speed. The fog and visibility. There was a fire in the engineering that made the hull more brittle, the fire burned for 2 whole weeks before the ships maiden voyage! First time the coal had been fully loaded. Should not have sailed in fact, but white star line were financially up the creek and went forward with it.

But there was only 1 Iceberg. It was Hamilton and St mirren that directly put us where we are today at the bottom of the ocean. And Stendel was at the helm.

Hmm that's funny last time i checked, the league usually consists of 38 games, didn't know you could win the league on 2 games or be relegated so that's a new one 🤔

And going by your analysis all the other games mean nothing,

Edited by Bongo 1874

23 hours ago, jambocall51 said:

Anne couldn’t get along with him and she was too scared to go for something big and potentially change this club around except she went back to the old hoofball managers we had before 

Agree with this to an extent, but I reckon there’s someone has her ear and keeps on giving atrocious advice. 

e43763579c01f7311be61c3d070e8eb1.jpg

A_A wehatethehibs
19 minutes ago, Bongo 1874 said:

Hmm that's funny last time i checked, the league usually consists of 38 games, didn't know you could win the league on 2 games or be relegated so that's a new one 🤔

And going by your analysis all the other games mean nothing,

Read the first paragraph and think about it. It’s an analogy, not an analysis. Many factors made the sinking happen, some big things, some small things. One huge thing about the integrity of the ship itself was totally impossible for the captain to control! Just trying to do his job and steer the ship. But captain he was, if he had just dodged the iceberg, plotted a slightly different course, slowed the ship down, any number of things he could’ve done differently, and titanic would’ve arrived in New York safe and sound. If Stendel had beat Hamilton and st mirren, we’d be in the premiership still and he would have been able to put his own team together. But he didn’t, now he’s gone forever. And we’re left trying to build a new ship using the scrap hull full of holes from the old one. 

22 hours ago, Jap Jambo said:

I suspect he came in and started to changes things all over the place. I think this threatened the status quo too much for Ann's liking and probably resulted in a ton of back biting from folks that were entirely beholden to Ann. If you look at Berra for instance he was found out so he got punted, now he returns as a prodigal. How is he conceivably the future of the club, even if he does have a steady season and all goes to plan do we really think he'll cut it back in the top league? Ditto giving kids their chance and turning around players we'd all given up on.

When I reflect on it I suspect that was entirely what was/is required and I'm quite disappointed we didn't get the chance to see him strut his stuff.

Yeah. Look at who we’ve ended up with - proper old boys of Scottish fitba.

I do love Robbie for lots of reasons, and his heart is in the right place, but is the vision required for Hearts to rebuild after getting cored by Levein’s ineptitude going to come from him, McCulloch and the other guy? 

Big Lee looks like a great guy to have in the dressing room, but it’s a jobs for the boys set up and no mistake. 

Dusk_Till_Dawn
32 minutes ago, chimpto said:

Yeah. Look at who we’ve ended up with - proper old boys of Scottish fitba.

I do love Robbie for lots of reasons, and his heart is in the right place, but is the vision required for Hearts to rebuild after getting cored by Levein’s ineptitude going to come from him, McCulloch and the other guy? 

Big Lee looks like a great guy to have in the dressing room, but it’s a jobs for the boys set up and no mistake. 

McCulloch another dick who we’ve all hated for years but some on here tried to pretend was ‘a guid adishun’ just, well, because everything this regime do is fine and dandy. Can imagine his tactical input being of zero value

2 hours ago, Last Laff said:

24 points. Twenty feckin four.

It still gives me the rage that we were expelled 

1 hour ago, Bongo 1874 said:

In talks with Sunderland 👍, his agent has informed Celtic too. 

Imagine he ended up at Celtic and was their manager in this years final. I’m sure he’d love to get his own back on AB 😬

Edited by Saughton Jambo

Just now, Saughton Jambo said:

Imagine he ended up at Celtic and was their manager in this years final. I’m sure he’d love to get his own back on AB 😬

He doesn't hold any grudges mate, just a bit disappointed in the way things were done, by the way if that's was you at easter road with the flag, he saw it and definitely appreciated it 👍

1 hour ago, chimpto said:

Agree with this to an extent, but I reckon there’s someone has her ear and keeps on giving atrocious advice. 

e43763579c01f7311be61c3d070e8eb1.jpg

There was reason he was dismissed and not put on gardening leave. He was asked to stay around and this was probably to report back to AB as I’m not sure she was convinced of her own appointment. It’s funny RN was approached whilst DS was still manager. 

There’s more cloak and dagger at Tynecastle than there is in an Agatha Christie murder she wrote novel. 

3 minutes ago, Bongo 1874 said:

He doesn't hold any grudges mate, just a bit disappointed in the way things were done, by the way if that's was you at easter road with the flag, he saw it and definitely appreciated it 👍

I think we were all disappointed in how it ended. He was the most enthusiastic manager I’ve ever seen at Tynecastle and I believe with his own team he’d have had us back to the 3rd force. Of course this would be at a significant expense. I think we bottled it in the end by not giving him the autonomy other managers had before him. 

It was me with the flag mate and I’ve still got it. Never got my monies worth as it was only at Easter road and the last game at paisley. I was going to gibe it to him as a parting gift as I knew he lived at quartermile when he was here. If you have an address for him could you pm me it? Or alternatively I could give you the flag and you can post it to him. 

Thanks mate 

We were only really good under Robbie when Gomis was firing on all cylinders and to a lesser extent Djoum. We badly need a player like Gomis to dictate the tempo. Why we signed Halliday I have no idea?

Edited by tcjambo

Just now, Saughton Jambo said:

I think we were all disappointed in how it ended. He was the most enthusiastic manager I’ve ever seen at Tynecastle and I believe with his own team he’d have had us back to the 3rd force. Of course this would be at a significant expense. I think we bottled it in the end by not giving him the autonomy other managers had before him. 

It was me with the flag mate and I’ve still got it. Never got my monies worth as it was only at Easter road and the last game at paisley. I was going to gibe it to him as a parting gift as I knew he lived at quartermile when he was here. If you have an address for him could you pm me it? Or alternatively I could give you the flag and you can post it to him. 

Thanks mate 

Keep the flag mate, you might be able to use it again, that's all I'm saying 😉

Just now, Bongo 1874 said:

I can accept people have some inside knowledge but you're surely not implying you know Ann's inner thoughts on managers

William H. Bonney
7 minutes ago, Bongo 1874 said:

Unless the flag says ‘good luck finding a new job ‘ then I doubt it very much. 

10 minutes ago, Bongo 1874 said:

I’d never support Sunderland mate 😉

Dusk_Till_Dawn
4 hours ago, A_A wehatethehibs said:

Interesting because Ann’s bum boys on here are adamant that we can’t accuse her of taking us down.

Because the Lockdown happened, and a manager in another country who couldn't get back to Scotland was as much use as a chocolate teapot. And he was headhunted by another cub probably.

34 minutes ago, ToqueJambo said:

Getting the club relegated when he had a relegation clause in his contract maybe?

We were relegated via vote, not football over 38 games. Come on we've been through all this!

Stendel dropped his wage so the club could survive during a pandemic. He was keen to remain manager. He had taken us to a cup semi final - something that seemed to buy Levein incredible amounts of time. The way he was treated was disgusting and it's obvious why Hearts are in such a mess under Budge at the moment. She just can't relinquish control and let a new dawn happen. Stendel clearly had ideas about how to fix the club off the pitch too which would be at odds with Levein advising Budge.

I'd love Stendel to come back to Hearts once Budge is gone and he can actually get the full support a manager should get.

36 minutes ago, Dusk_Till_Dawn said:

Interesting because Ann’s bum boys on here are adamant that we can’t accuse her of taking us down.

Or Levein.  The two biggest factors ignored for a boy who came in in November because “he took us to the bottom of the table” avoiding the negligence for three years or so that had us anywhere near that position. 

She even ****ed up on every part of negotiations to keep us up and then lead a task force that failed to get reconstruction.  Utter disaster area of a owner. 

Edited by Last Laff

Pasquale for King
5 hours ago, jambonian said:

Succinctly put 👍🏽👏🏾

Pasquale for King
24 minutes ago, kila said:

We were relegated via vote, not football over 38 games. Come on we've been through all this!

Stendel dropped his wage so the club could survive during a pandemic. He was keen to remain manager. He had taken us to a cup semi final - something that seemed to buy Levein incredible amounts of time. The way he was treated was disgusting and it's obvious why Hearts are in such a mess under Budge at the moment. She just can't relinquish control and let a new dawn happen. Stendel clearly had ideas about how to fix the club off the pitch too which would be at odds with Levein advising Budge.

I'd love Stendel to come back to Hearts once Budge is gone and he can actually get the full support a manager should get.

He’s behind Sergio in the queue just now. 

51 minutes ago, Bongo 1874 said:

Let's just wait and see. 

So are you claiming to know Ann's thoughts, that we'll be getting rid of Robbie and reappointing Stendel?

Edited by Smithee