Budge.

The Roller

15 hours ago, Jamstomorrow said:

I agree, but AB is not to blame for the team's hot and cold performance.  

Thats the managers job! going off him already.

• Replies 886
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• davemclaren

• Dusk_Till_Dawn

• Francis Albert

• NANOJAMBO

1 hour ago, jack D and coke said:

We are in no way comparable to Newcastle or Sunderland who both utterly dwarf our support. Even when they’re absolutely garbage Sunderland can get 30k. We’ve never reached that in my life. Aye big crowds out when we won a cup but it’s never developed into actual support. 
We used to get 29k at OF games when I first started going but 8-9k Rangers or Celtic fans at those games. 
Were more like a Blackburn or something. 

The point I am making is that all three are massive clubs within their leagues, with far more potential than they ever achieve. 

3 minutes ago, 1971fozzy said:

To an extent.  Watching the documentary and it was cringe watching Budge who for me just looked like a sweet granny , aimlessly wondering about the place looking bewildered and lost.  
when covid is gone she’ll be away soon enough as well.

I stand by what I said though it’s the squad (and likely the manager) who are the real dugshit 

No real hearts men who feel hurt in this team,   with the exception of Berra.   This is probably where our problem lies,  most just totter along  and its needing a total shake up"  this was on the cards, losing ,   but losing to alloa was  shocking?     Things have to change now  before this season gets to be embarrassing.........

10 minutes ago, Hectormasson said:

👏👏👏👏

I said it when she took over,managing a football club compared to a normal business,is like night and day,lots on here disagreed with me,

FIne,six years later we are no better off

football wise. Thanks for saving us,but its time to go.

8 minutes ago, Hectormasson said:

No real hearts men who feel hurt in this team,   with the exception of Berra.   This is probably where our problem lies,  most just totter along  and its needing a total shake up"  this was on the cards, losing ,   but losing to alloa was  shocking?     Things have to change now  before this season gets to be embarrassing.........

Craig Gordon?

24 minutes ago, Debut 4 said:

One thing we should learn from history, is look what happened in the late 70s.

Big club, poor players/performances, poor leadership from the top(regards the footballing side)= years of struggle.

Maybe some don’t realise but we’ve already started. 

I remember those days well and you may be not far off with that view. The only difference is that off the pitch we are extremely well run, but on, the comparison is there, add in those who still bury their head in the sand as to what is the possible outcome. We have had 5 years of steady decline and when asked at the AGM re any contingency plans if we were relegated, it was quite obvious that AB and many in the hall thought it would never happen. That is how we are where we are.

4 minutes ago, Dusk_Till_Dawn said:

Proud as I am of our investment via FOH, I’ve been struggling to see the point for ages now.

Basically, Budge pisses the money up the wall and in return a couple of FOH stooges get free dinners and tickets to the directors box, while challenging her over nothing.

If this was another club, we’d be laughing at them and calling their fans mugs.

Pissed it away on what?

Budges failure, for me at least, is her inability to employ a decent football management team. They are the ones who have certainly pissed funds away, in that there has been little return on that investment.

That is a failure of those managers, and ultimately a failure on Budges part for employing them initially. However, if you employ someone to do a job, you let them get on with it.

But at some point, that management team needs appraised on whether they are performing as expected. Leveins tenure lasted way too long, a failure on Budges part. I'd argue we are still suffering from this. 

The appointment of Neilson was underwhelming to say the least, another failure? After yesterday's result and recent performances it doesn't look good.

FoH money has helped stabilise the club financially, has been used to help with infrastructure (new stand?) so not sure that constitutes pissing away, other than stated above?

jack D and coke
19 minutes ago, David Black said:

The point I am making is that all three are massive clubs within their leagues, with far more potential than they ever achieve. 

Yeah I know basically what you meant but these clubs utterly dwarf Hearts. We’re a big league one side at best down there. 

Pasquale for King
9 hours ago, davemclaren said:

That wasn’t managed well at all. Possibly Dundee Utd wanted it announced quick since it was all over the media. Not sure if their supporters were happy he was gone or not. 

From what I’ve seen they were desperate to get rid of him, something about boring football shockingly enough. Dundee United said they had a long discussion with Neilson about him staying but he was determined to leave, at that point she should’ve been on the phone to Stendel. 

Pasquale for King
5 hours ago, Jambo61 said:

Not from the documentation I have read! Happy to be wrong!

I know that the way it’s set up we won’t have a bigger say than others, which I find strange. 

The problem really does lie with the manager. Ann doesn't make footballing decisions but provides an environment where the football people can thrive (or not); the money, the stadium, training facilities and stability.

What we watch on the pitch is a reflection of what goes on at training and manager's instructions. In the first half against Alloa on Tuesday, we witnessed a good passing movement which resulted in Walker with the ball in the middle of the park 10 yards from their box. Halliday made a good run into the box which seemed to surprise their defence - Walker ignored him and he passed backwards. This attitude kills it for fans.

I suspect that Robbie preaches the gospel that ball retention is everything and our dire approach to the game is a direct result. He must be made to realise that we don't have the players to copy Liverpool's style. They keep the ball but attack and running off the ball is central to their tactics. He must stop trying to play chess

28 minutes ago, Deevers said:

That’s the worry.  Having been through that I never ever want to see Hearts in that position again.  I just get the feeling that the top of the tree here have become too “nice”.  We need a bit of out and out ruthlessness that filters down through the whole club in order to get to where we should be. I include player recruitment in that. I get the impression that we don’t go after certain players because they don’t fit the profile that the club wants to portray. We need winners out on that pitch to get to where we need to be. Just now I see players just going through the motions.

I think you are spot on. Said myself for long enough that the attitude comes from the top and spreads throughout, whether that be ruthless, determined, soft etc....

Hearts need a sweep out.  The fans need a little bit of euphoria again.  Not quite white knight stuff, but someone who comes in and only talks about the team, the club, the football, engages in what makes fans juices flow. (A younger JJ style appointment and similar at board level)

Unfortunately,  The championship may not be the place for that.  

25 minutes ago, Hashimoto said:

I understand the usual recruitment process......You don't have to patronise me!

However, there is usually a vacancy, or at least potential managers available to take up position

In this case, at the time there was neither!

I was just raising the question about the process and time lapse which was very unBudge like    

She may well have tapped him up long before the event. Her and Stendel didn’t look to have much ‘chemistry’ between them on the tv doc. 

15 minutes ago, David Black said:

I remember those days well and you may be not far off with that view. The only difference is that off the pitch we are extremely well run, but on, the comparison is there, add in those who still bury their head in the sand as to what is the possible outcome. We have had 5 years of steady decline and when asked at the AGM re any contingency plans if we were relegated, it was quite obvious that AB and many in the hall thought it would never happen. That is how we are where we are.

Yes. On the outside the impression can come across as pretentious, untouchable.  Certainly a section of fans feel alienated and obviously team performances and lack of action on the managerial front(long before CL was sacked),along with accusations of cronyism, has contributed hugely. It all feels detached. 

Edited by Debut 4

Pasquale for King
14 minutes ago, David Black said:

I think we now know why there is no live coverage of the AGM or question and answer session this year as other clubs like Aberdeen are doing apparently. 

4 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

I know that the way it’s set up we won’t have a bigger say than others, which I find strange. 

The bit I find strange is "Who does have the bigger/final say", to me that has never been clear!

Pasquale for King
Just now, Jambo61 said:

The bit I find strange is "Who does have the bigger/final say", to me that has never been clear!

It’s Budge surely as the Chair person and her hand picked board of directors who are the only ones capable of getting rid of her. 

Not sure if this has been mentioned in this thread but if Budge does leave and we get a replacement in, does that mean the benefactors wont be there for financial help? Or are they there in the background regardless who is running the club?

1 hour ago, Ray Gin said:

That's not the day to day running of the club, that's the management of the first team. All the behind the scenes operational stuff is way more professional now.

:berra:

did you watch the documentary?

10 minutes ago, davieholt said:

The problem really does lie with the manager. Ann doesn't make footballing decisions but provides an environment where the football people can thrive (or not); the money, the stadium, training facilities and stability.

What we watch on the pitch is a reflection of what goes on at training and manager's instructions. In the first half against Alloa on Tuesday, we witnessed a good passing movement which resulted in Walker with the ball in the middle of the park 10 yards from their box. Halliday made a good run into the box which seemed to surprise their defence - Walker ignored him and he passed backwards. This attitude kills it for fans.

I suspect that Robbie preaches the gospel that ball retention is everything and our dire approach to the game is a direct result. He must be made to realise that we don't have the players to copy Liverpool's style. They keep the ball but attack and running off the ball is central to their tactics. He must stop trying to play chess

The football may be rubbish under Neilson but he has never failed to deliver what was demanded over the course of a season. This is why Ann sees him as a safe pair of hands. We had the fancy-Dans in Cathro & Stendal and both were utter disasters - admittedly not all their fault as they came in mid-season but both tried to change far too much straight from the off...Cathro should've played out his first half-season then done the rebuild. Stendal had a far harder task but booting out the club captain was not a wise decision (should've just not played him) and neither was playing a high line against a league of teams which have been set-up to sit in and counter for literally decades...

27 minutes ago, davieholt said:

Absolutely 100% spot on.  It's the nub of our problem.

The Hogfather
30 minutes ago, davieholt said:

That would be a great point if we hadn't sat through 18 months of this shite. 

29 minutes ago, Debut 4 said:

I think you are spot on. Said myself for long enough that the attitude comes from the top and spreads throughout, whether that be ruthless, determined, soft etc....

Hearts need a sweep out.  The fans need a little bit of euphoria again.  Not quite white knight stuff, but someone who comes in and only talks about the team, the club, the football, engages in what makes fans juices flow. (A younger JJ style appointment and similar at board level)

Unfortunately,  The championship may not be the place for that.  

If yesterday was not a waken up call to all Hearts people then nothing will be. Beaten by a rag tag of semi professionals that might well be playing in the league below next season.  It’s the lack of desire by some in the team that gets me. There we were playing against a team whose chairman was one of those instrumental in screwing us in the summer and some of our well paid players were swaning about out on the park as if it didn’t really matter. There are a few that would not even be making the subs bench for Morton if in was in charge.  Shameful stuff yesterday. No excuses.

She went on about a "review of the football department" so I hope that includes a quarterly review where RN and his bunch get hauled in and asked to explain the current shambles , abysmal signings and numerous pitiful  performances so far against the most modest of opposition.

Six years later and millions down the drain and we're back where we started but this time it's looking like it's going to be a tough ask to get out of this division. 

We could all see for years change was needed and a big change in that.

Stendel could see it but was not given time to see it through as Ann was scared of him doing what was needed,  tearing everything up. 

Neilson was a nice cosy option for her.

33 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

It’s Budge surely as the Chair person and her hand picked board of directors who are the only ones capable of getting rid of her. 

That's now......what about later?

Does she get to pass on the power to whom she feels fit..........is that not like..."The owner"?

Just for clarification I do believe in the fans and know we cannot knee-jerk changes!

My real worry is we do a Blackburn Rovers! Jack left them in an excellent state as a trust. Pretty soon transfer fees dictated the trust be set aside in a matter of only a few years!

If we reach a position whereby the monthly payments make little difference we could be forced into a sale for competitive reasons! Then who gets any money raised, who makes the decision, if a court can overrule the original intention/ agreements.

I think either this has been fully thought through and we have been somewhat 'stiffed', or, it has been badly thought through and we will eventually fail. I don't see wandering along as a long term policy!

Pasquale for King
1 minute ago, Jambo61 said:

Does she get to pass on the power to whom she feels fit..........is that not like..."The owner"?

Just for clarification I do believe in the fans and know we cannot knee-jerk changes!

My real worry is we do a Blackburn Rovers! Jack left them in an excellent state as a trust. Pretty soon transfer fees dictated the trust be set aside in a matter of only a few years!

If we reach a position whereby the monthly payments make little difference we could be forced into a sale for competitive reasons! Then who gets any money raised, who makes the decision, if a court can overrule the original intention/ agreements.

I think either this has been fully thought through and we have been somewhat 'stiffed', or, it has been badly thought through and we will eventually fail. I don't see wandering along as a long term policy!

It is now and as long as she wants to be there she will be unless the FoH governance model changes. 
No owner of any club would relinquish control over decisions to a Chair person who is untouchable. 
When she goes we will find another chair person like companies all over the world do, considering her patchy record we surely can’t do any worse? We might though if she chooses that person, does she have any other family members she can put in place?

32 minutes ago, Dusk_Till_Dawn said:

You thrive on us being shite so you’ll have enjoyed yesterday. 

🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

Says the manbaby who skuttles out of the woodwork after a defeat. 

If anyone thrives on doom and gloom it's you. Must be horrible being you. 

Pasquale for King
24 minutes ago, Nunya Business said:

That would be a great point if we hadn't sat through 18 months of this shite. 

I think Cathros reign and the first two years of Levein were pretty poor too apart from ten games and a few derbies. Neilsons last year in charge was crap also. 

Edited by Pasquale for King

The reason Neilson was appointed is Ann Budge is a control freak, she is reluctant to employ people she doesn't know. She knew Robbie, and with the Stendel failure he was an easy choice.

Her Brother got the work for the main Stand despite never having dealt with a project anything close to that magnitude. It is no wonder it went over budget by millions and some areas are not finished.

The new CEO is the husband of Hearts Lawyer.

With an approach to business with that mindset, we are never going to realise our true potential until she goes. The only method is to withhold FOH donations and force her out imo.

3 minutes ago, Jambo61 said:

It's not the same - we have the FoH whereas BRFC was simply funded by Sir Jack whose family decided to cut the funds off after tiring of throwing good money after bad.  My main concern is that the continued overspending has left us SO dependent on our benefactor and it would worry me that his input could be lost if AB walks or is  forced out. Whatever happens, I'm long past the point of wanting AB removed from all matters football - she has been a disaster and must have no influence on this. Her appointment of RN - did the board ever actually discuss this ?/does anyone on the board ever ask the tough questions ?  - is so depressing.  

6 minutes ago, Bull's-eye said:

🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

Yet you defend the club at all costs. A cheerleader at best, a troll at worst.

Edited by kila

Ex member of the SaS

I can understand the vitriol towards Ann and while I support her in what she has done in the past there has to be a change. I disagree we should be hounding her out, but we are priortising the wrong things. The restaurant, the woman's team, the new stand all should be second to putting a decent team on the park. Yes football is big business and diversity is a much need income but first and foremost we are a football club. Not suggesting they can't do the job ( I believe the best person for a job should get it regardless of creed or gender ) but I do feel there are too many women involved and a hard line male is required when buts need booted. Ann has surrounded herself with women as maybe she feels she can communicate with them and for the above stated reasons I think it's time for her to pass the crown. having said that I do not believe FoH is the best option. Yes fan ownership is the way to go BUT I don't think a committee is the best way to run the club. They should own the club but get people in who can run it as a business AND a football club.

54 minutes ago, Gambo said:

We could all see for years change was needed and a big change in that.

Stendel could see it but was not given time to see it through as Ann was scared of him doing what was needed,  tearing everything up. 

Neilson was a nice cosy option for her.

Think Ann was scared after he made us worse that resulted in being adrift at the bottom of the league. Yesterday was brutal but can we stop pretending Stendel was the answer. He was shit. 

27 minutes ago, NANOJAMBO said:

It's not the same - we have the FoH whereas BRFC was simply funded by Sir Jack whose family decided to cut the funds off after tiring of throwing good money after bad.  My main concern is that the continued overspending has left us SO dependent on our benefactor and it would worry me that his input could be lost if AB walks or is  forced out. Whatever happens, I'm long past the point of wanting AB removed from all matters football - she has been a disaster and must have no influence on this. Her appointment of RN - did the board ever actually discuss this ?/does anyone on the board ever ask the tough questions ?  - is so depressing.  

My understanding is Blackburn was a trust and was overturned in court?

No matters point I am trying to make is it is very clear FoH is kept as far as very long arms!

What is not clear is if Ann loses control when the shares are transferred? Does she just become a staff member/ honorary figurehead?

At that point the Hearts board assume control, but other than the CEO who is appointed, who is actually in charge of the future of Hearts?

Obviously we all want the best for Hearts, but what happens if it goes wrong? Who has the final say? It is obvious that FoH are not allowed any financial gain, so who does?

I think what can't be done is clear, but woolly as hell after that! I don't want to see a rudderless ship!

2 hours ago, jambonian said:

The only way we are going to get back to being the Hearts we know is to have a chairman in place who has financial backing behind them, or at least working with a consortium. Ann did us proud when she grabbed the club by the hee-haws and got us back from the brink of oblivion but the time has come to let someone else take over. Anyone who thinks that FoH, as brilliant as they are, can move the club up a level (in terms of finance) on their own and without alternative backing running alongside them is living in cloud cukoo-land. We're not asking for the quality of your Man City's and Liverpool's here, totally unrealistic but, when you only have the old firm to challenge with then it shouldn't be so difficult to at least compete with Aberdeen for example. I mean, Ross County, Livingston, St Johnstone and others? What the frk is going on!?

Ann, thanks very much but it's time to step down now and let someone else try to turn the club around, for your sake, and ours.

I agree however AB has it in her mind that she could not have passed over the ownership of the club to FOH during the pandemic.

Only she really knows the resons for this. I think she feels now was not the right time to do it however if she thinks hard about it without FOH we would be in severe financial trouble.

She feesl she still has a role to play in the running of the club but like you I feel her time has come to take a back seat.

Realistically we are never going to have the financial backing the the Old Firm have but we should be able to compete with Aberdeen etc and better them.

The problem lies with the current squad of players we have and the coaching staff. Robbie and hsi team have seen and done it before.

Craig Levein failed with the squad he built as did Daniel Stendel (although to be fair to him he hardly had a chance) Robbie has made a few signings which is a mixed back but a chunk of the squad are the CL leftovers and not good enough.

All players hit bad patches and come through it but our players seem to have been in it for a long time. PLayers such as Naismith, Boyce etc should really be showing their class against teams in this league but they are not. Why is that?

1 minute ago, Dazo said:

Think Ann was scared after he made us worse that resulted in being adrift at the bottom of the league. Yesterday was brutal but can we stop pretending Stendel was the answer. He was shit. 

With the absolute shit fest he was left it was going to take more than 4 month to sort out. He also had to contend with the problem lurking in the background. He had to try and train them how to play football again.

Yes the goalie situation he has no excuse for, but looking back individual errors cost us badly, real bad.

He needed more time before being judged imo.

Its different for Neilson, he knows the set up, we know his borefest style, he has little time.

2 hours ago, Dusk_Till_Dawn said:

Proud as I am of our investment via FOH, I’ve been struggling to see the point for ages now.

Basically, Budge pisses the money up the wall and in return a couple of FOH stooges get free dinners and tickets to the directors box, while challenging her over nothing.

If this was another club, we’d be laughing at them and calling their fans mugs.

FOH board are Just nodding dogs to everything Budge does. Major shake up required big time. 

1 hour ago, Gerd Muller said:

Not sure if this has been mentioned in this thread but if Budge does leave and we get a replacement in, does that mean the benefactors wont be there for financial help? Or are they there in the background regardless who is running the club?

As far as I am aware these benefactors such as James Anderson are Hearts fans first and foremost.

I would therfeore doubt that once AB is not at the helm that they would stop helping the club financially but that is just my opinion.

If it was AB who encouraged them to assist then they may feel a loyalty towards her and once she is gone then they may withdraw their support but only they have the answer to that.

1 hour ago, Gerd Muller said:

They’ve promised support for the next few years I’m sure. 

Just now, Boris5115 said:

FOH board are Just nodding dogs to everything Budge does. Major shake up required big time. 

Don’t understand why, when Anderson has put more money into the club than Budge for love of the club/game. 

3 minutes ago, Gambo said:

With the absolute shit fest he was left it was going to take more than 4 month to sort out. He also had to contend with the problem lurking in the background. He had to try and train them how to play football again.

Yes the goalie situation he has no excuse for, but looking back individual errors cost us badly, real bad.

He needed more time before being judged imo.

Its different for Neilson, he knows the set up, we know his borefest style, he has little time.

It would be interesting to know what would have happened had Covid not come along and the league finished with all games being played and we were still relegated.

Would she still have given Stendel a chance?

There is an opportunity to send a message at the Foundation AGM.

Donald Cumming has been a FoH representative on the club Board for 5 seasons. He was therefore partly culpable for Levein's disastrous management of the club.  He can be voted off the FoH Board at the AGM (and then would have to leave the Club Board).

Would also be good to see the support demand the club be handed over.  And also to vote against the FoH desire to make it easier to sell the club.

1 hour ago, Bull's-eye said:

🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

He was here last night - unlike you. 

1 hour ago, gowestjambo said:

The reason Neilson was appointed is Ann Budge is a control freak, she is reluctant to employ people she doesn't know. She knew Robbie, and with the Stendel failure he was an easy choice.

Her Brother got the work for the main Stand despite never having dealt with a project anything close to that magnitude. It is no wonder it went over budget by millions and some areas are not finished.

The new CEO is the husband of Hearts Lawyer.

With an approach to business with that mindset, we are never going to realise our true potential until she goes. The only method is to withhold FOH donations and force her out imo.

Is that true ? 

Dusk_Till_Dawn
6 minutes ago, Coco said:

There is an opportunity to send a message at the Foundation AGM.

Donald Cumming has been a FoH representative on the club Board for 5 seasons. He was therefore partly culpable for Levein's disastrous management of the club.  He can be voted off the FoH Board at the AGM (and then would have to leave the Club Board).

Would also be good to see the support demand the club be handed over.  And also to vote against the FoH desire to make it easier to sell the club.

The handover seems to be dormant with very little explanation. The idea that it needs to stay in Budge’s hands for now lacks credibility when you look at the state of us.

FOH’s attitude borders on arrogant. We’re throwing a fortune into the scheme.

2 hours ago, Boris said:

Pissed it away on what?

Budges failure, for me at least, is her inability to employ a decent football management team. They are the ones who have certainly pissed funds away, in that there has been little return on that investment.

That is a failure of those managers, and ultimately a failure on Budges part for employing them initially. However, if you employ someone to do a job, you let them get on with it.

But at some point, that management team needs appraised on whether they are performing as expected. Leveins tenure lasted way too long, a failure on Budges part. I'd argue we are still suffering from this. 

The appointment of Neilson was underwhelming to say the least, another failure? After yesterday's result and recent performances it doesn't look good.

FoH money has helped stabilise the club financially, has been used to help with infrastructure (new stand?) so not sure that constitutes pissing away, other than stated above?

V.O.R. Thank you.