JWL

Just now, luckyBatistuta said:

Told you already though, Danny Dimes is gonna scupper your plans😁

Beat us twice already. But unfortunately for them, they don't play us every week. :cheese:

luckyBatistuta
1 minute ago, ri Alban said:

Beat us twice already. But unfortunately for them, they don't play us every week. :cheese:

I believe they will win that division now.

Just now, luckyBatistuta said:

I believe they will win that division now.

Thankfully for me, you put money on Dallas anaw. So... 

😁

11 minutes ago, luckyBatistuta said:

There is that :rofl:

Did you see Antonio Gibson. :rofl:Waves to the Dallas D. 

2.02 if you don't want to watch the Rookie of the year in action. 

Edited by ri Alban

luckyBatistuta
31 minutes ago, ri Alban said:

Did you see Antonio Gibson. :rofl:Waves to the Dallas D. 

2.02 if you don't want to watch the Rookie of the year in action. 

Watched it live and saw it. Roty 🤣🤣🤣 you’re surely not serious. I even traded him away in fantasy, as I never started him once.

9 minutes ago, luckyBatistuta said:

Watched it live and saw it. Roty 🤣🤣🤣 you’re surely not serious. I even traded him away in fantasy, as I never started him once.

Mind me to never take any advice from your good self. Dallas, Giants, Roty. You must be skint. :D

Governor Tarkin
7 hours ago, Tazio said:

You can still book cabin space on merchant ships with some companies. Could be an interesting way to do the Indian Ocean. 

I would recommend this for the experience. 👍

Governor Tarkin
11 minutes ago, The Real Maroonblood said:

:oohmatron:

I've spent years at sea and haven't been bummed once. I'm unsure whether to feel bad about this or not. 🤷‍♂️

The Real Maroonblood
Just now, Governor Tarkin said:

I've spent years at sea and haven't been bummed once. I'm unsure whether to feel bad about this or not. 🤷‍♂️

:lol:

Governor Tarkin
14 hours ago, Der Kaiser said:

Well this is an awkward queue to be in......

You boys can go first. I wouldn't want to spoil the experience for you. 

tenor.gif

14 hours ago, trotter said:

Took the California Zephyr from Chicago to San Francisco two years ago. 54 hours on the train including the Rockies. Absolutely outstanding journey. Thoroughly recommend it. Not that expensive either. Seats only was $200, the roomette cabin was an additional 450. 

Sounds great 

14 hours ago, jonesy said:

Lovely journey.

I did Syracuse-Edinburgh by train in 2017. Very pleasant experience, with some great food, company and scenery along the way.

It was a memorable experience Jonesy 

I have actually had a couple of my bucket list items happen which is pretty good. Finally got to Florence last year.  Always wanted to visit it after seeing the film " Hannibal" and the beautiful locations , architecture and scenery.  It didn't disappoint. Only downside didnt get into the " Academmia Gallery " to view the statue of David.  But there was a replica outside. !  The queue was massive.  I did see the " Palazzo Vecchio" which is in the film. Its the scene where Lector gives Inspector Pazzo the choice of " bowels in or out" before slicing him and throwing him off it.  :)

I had always been an admirer of Barbra Streisand for year.  Until 1993 she had hardly performed live but started to tour again.  The 1993 ticket prices were astronomical so i just felt it wasnt worth it.  However bit the bullet and went to see her near Dublin in 2007.  It was a warm summer night and the concert was outdoors ( always the best in my opionon) and it was in front of a Georgian mansion. All very elegant and fancy.  Tremedous atmosphere and she was just as expect , sensational.  Her voice fairly soared that night and I know some people think she is ugly, but I was up close to her and she looked stunning.  She had a great rapport with the crowd too.  A memorable night.  Only marred by some really really drunk people . I dont know about others but why pay a lot of money ( £260") get pissed and not even remember any of it the next day ???   Sad really.  I took the first pic.  

204660_10150174582594041_7785138_o.jpg

000e5295-1500.jpg

palazzo-vecchio-detail.jpg

On 26/11/2020 at 18:32, Tazio said:

I’ve done LA to NYC by train in 2007. Amazingly as I just booked a standard seat it was only $140 which at the time was £70 due to a very kind exchange rate. Massive reclining seat way bigger than an airplane seat. For $500 I could have booked a cabin with a double bed and shower but I’m the type of person that can sleep anywhere. The train was at most a quarter full and had one of the glass topped observation cars so you could spend all day sitting there. There was an 8 hour change in Chicago but I could have opted for a longer stop and spent the night there. Amazing to watch the world go by from desert, to mountains, to prairies, then normal countryside, then thick forest as it went along the Canadian border before coming all the way down New York State and approaching New York City arriving at Penn Station. 

Could you do me a favour an possibly pm me the details of how you booked which cities you travelled through etc.? Basically your itenary. Cheers

9 minutes ago, JWL said:

Could you do me a favour an possibly pm me the details of how you booked which cities you travelled through etc.? Basically your itenary. Cheers

No need for a PM as it wasn’t really planned as such I was in LA anyway and just booked the ticket online. AMTRAK have certain long distance train services which have names based on their route roughly. The LA to Chicago was the South West Chief when I did it, it may have changed name. Then from Chicago to NYC it was a choice of the route I did or you can take one that goes across to Philly and up from there. 
There are quite a few routes so you can choose which part of the country is what you fancy. The grains are also quiet as they aren’t used much apart from older people and people who can’t afford flights. A few military as well due to the massive discounts they get. 

19 minutes ago, Tazio said:

No need for a PM as it wasn’t really planned as such I was in LA anyway and just booked the ticket online. AMTRAK have certain long distance train services which have names based on their route roughly. The LA to Chicago was the South West Chief when I did it, it may have changed name. Then from Chicago to NYC it was a choice of the route I did or you can take one that goes across to Philly and up from there. 
There are quite a few routes so you can choose which part of the country is what you fancy. The grains are also quiet as they aren’t used much apart from older people and people who can’t afford flights. A few military as well due to the massive discounts they get. 

Perfect, cheers. I'll have a look on-line and see what's kicking about. It's my 60th next year so looking do do something a wee bit different, that's why I mentioned the Ryder Cup but that's looking like a no-goer. A train from coast to coast America though sounds cool as feck.

3 minutes ago, JWL said:

Perfect, cheers. I'll have a look on-line and see what's kicking about. It's my 60th next year so looking do do something a wee bit different, that's why I mentioned the Ryder Cup but that's looking like a no-goer. A train from coast to coast America though sounds cool as feck.

I've spent ages on the Seat 61 website looking at train journeys across Europe but it covers world wie too.

Here's the link to the USA rail travel pages

17 minutes ago, JWL said:

I loved the fact it is the big classic American double decker trains. Though the seating is all on the top deck with the bottom toilet, luggage etc. There are lots of stops where you can get off and stretch your legs for a few minutes or have a smoke if that’s your thing. Only the big major stations have platforms so you get the cool thing where the conductor puts a step out so you can get off the train. The photo below is of the train was when we stopped in Albuquerque, even though it was October it was like stepping off the train into an oven. 

CA4BAD34-F6FC-457D-8CAF-87790657FAB9.jpeg

3 minutes ago, Tazio said:

I loved the fact it is the big classic American double decker trains. Though the seating is all on the top deck with the bottom toilet, luggage etc. There are lots of stops where you can get off and stretch your legs for a few minutes or have a smoke if that’s your thing. Only the big major stations have platforms so you get the cool thing where the conductor puts a step out so you can get off the train. The photo below is of the train was when we stopped in Albuquerque, even though it was October it was like stepping off the train into an oven. 

CA4BAD34-F6FC-457D-8CAF-87790657FAB9.jpeg

Right, got to do this. Most important question however, and assuming all the Covid shite is done and dusted by end of June next year, can you get a bevvy on the train?

2 minutes ago, JWL said:

Right, got to do this. Most important question however, and assuming all the Covid shite is done and dusted by end of June next year, can you get a bevvy on the train?

There’s a fully licensed restaurant car. Also a buffet car so you can get snacks, coffee, etc for when you are in the observation deck. 

5 minutes ago, Tazio said:

There’s a fully licensed restaurant car. Also a buffet car so you can get snacks, coffee, etc for when you are in the observation deck. 

Perfect. Looking forward to this now. Thanks for all the advice:smile:

10 minutes ago, JWL said:

Perfect. Looking forward to this now. Thanks for all the advice:smile:

If I was to do it again I’d book the ticket in two parts so I could have a couple of full days in Chicago as the few hours I spent there made me want to go there properly. It could be really great trip with that bookended by stays in LA and NYC. I was there as my wife was working on a show that was doing LA and NYC so the train trip was a good way to kill time as the show was setting up in New York. When I booked my plane tickets Aer Lingus were the cheapest I found with the big advantage that you do US immigration in Ireland so it’s quicker when you arrive as you’ve done the interview before you land and don’t get held up in LAX. 

30 minutes ago, Tazio said:

If I was to do it again I’d book the ticket in two parts so I could have a couple of full days in Chicago as the few hours I spent there made me want to go there properly. It could be really great trip with that bookended by stays in LA and NYC. I was there as my wife was working on a show that was doing LA and NYC so the train trip was a good way to kill time as the show was setting up in New York. When I booked my plane tickets Aer Lingus were the cheapest I found with the big advantage that you do US immigration in Ireland so it’s quicker when you arrive as you’ve done the interview before you land and don’t get held up in LAX. 

Was actually thinking of doing it from San Fransisco to New York with a couple of nights in Chicago along the way. I take it that's doable and you can basically tailor your journey to suit?

2 minutes ago, JWL said:

Was actually thinking of doing it from San Fransisco to New York with a couple of nights in Chicago along the way. I take it that's doable and you can basically tailor your journey to suit?

Any time I’ve gone from SF to LA I’ve driven. I’ve just checked and amazingly there isn’t a direct train between the two cities but it can be done with a transfer. It’s about 10 hours but only costs about £50 which I reckon isn’t bad for almost the length of California. San Francisco is definitely a better city to get around as a tourist as ,LA is a pain without a car due to being so enormous and any journey taking an age by public transport. 

On 26/11/2020 at 17:13, The Real Maroonblood said:

My wife and I considered this but sharing loos put us off.😟

Apart from that it looked good.

Opted for doing the Rockies by train.

An absolute wonderful experience.

Try the Oslo to Bergen train.Stunning scenery.

Once in Bergen do the funicular in Bergen.Again stunning views.

Finish off with a trip to the football stadium to see the Roald Jensen statue.

The Real Maroonblood
15 minutes ago, benny said:

Try the Oslo to Bergen train.Stunning scenery.

Once in Bergen do the funicular in Bergen.Again stunning views.

Finish off with a trip to the football stadium to see the Roald Jensen statue.

That sounds really good. 

1 hour ago, The Real Maroonblood said:

That sounds really good. 

Think it worked out £25 in our money for the train first class.

First class was as much tea or coffee as you wanted.

Next time i do the journey i will go normal class as there is more seats available to move from one side to another.

Took 6-7 hours so take something to eat with you.

Book on the internet and print before you fly over.

The Real Maroonblood
8 hours ago, benny said:

Think it worked out £25 in our money for the train first class.

First class was as much tea or coffee as you wanted.

Next time i do the journey i will go normal class as there is more seats available to move from one side to another.

Took 6-7 hours so take something to eat with you.

Book on the internet and print before you fly over.

Thanks for the advice.

Will keep it in mind.

On 26/11/2020 at 12:45, JWL said:

Seen the other bucket list thread in the terrace but this one is for non-football related things to do before you check out. Always fancied The Ashes in Australia, Boxing Day Test in Melbourne to be specific.

Another one is to go to the Ryder Cup in America so plans are in place to go to Whistling Straits in September.

I want to do an F1 weekend perhaps Montreal or Spa. 

I did Toronto to Vancouver via Banff and the Rockies by bus.

A good bit cheaper than the Rocky Mountaineer and still a fantastic journey. 

I would still love to do the train version though.

Australia and New Zealand remain a bucket list trip for me.

I would love to go to Skagen in North Denmark.

Great beaches and their museum is the main reason for my visit.

Awkward to get to but hopefully I will be able to go next Summer.

On 27/11/2020 at 01:46, Governor Tarkin said:

I would recommend this for the experience. 👍

My wife and her friend done that way back in 1958, from Vancouver to Dover. Trip of a lifetime twelve passengers on an old ship. Through the Panama, Pacific, Carribean Islands, eight weeks. they got to Dover and the authorities were so worried about the mechanical condition of the ship they wouldn't let them tie up. Moved somewhere and docked, the girls got the train to Edinburgh, We met there and the rest was a sixty two year history. She had kept a diary of the trip, and gave it to our granddaughter jut before she passed.

5 hours ago, Sharpie said:

My wife and her friend done that way back in 1958, from Vancouver to Dover. Trip of a lifetime twelve passengers on an old ship. Through the Panama, Pacific, Carribean Islands, eight weeks. they got to Dover and the authorities were so worried about the mechanical condition of the ship they wouldn't let them tie up. Moved somewhere and docked, the girls got the train to Edinburgh, We met there and the rest was a sixty two year history. She had kept a diary of the trip, and gave it to our granddaughter jut before she passed.

Wow. I'm glad she had the opportunity to have that experience.

24 minutes ago, redjambo said:

Wow. I'm glad she had the opportunity to have that experience.

Plus as she said in her diary she was at the Cavendish last night and met this dreamie guy and he was a policeman. She had been in London in 1954 with another friend who was there for a teacher exchange, on return to Vancouver she was going on about the handsome policemen. When she said she was going back to the UK ,the joke was she wasgoing back to get one of these handsome policemen. Guess what she got one of the best examples.

On 26/11/2020 at 20:55, trotter said:

Took the California Zephyr from Chicago to San Francisco two years ago. 54 hours on the train including the Rockies. Absolutely outstanding journey. Thoroughly recommend it. Not that expensive either. Seats only was $200, the roomette cabin was an additional 450. 

A couple of years back, I took the California Zephyr from Denver through the Rockies to Salt Lake City. It was a Sunday journey and it took 13 hours compared to the normal 9 hours. The scenery for the first 8 hours was absolutely stunning with the train snaking in and out of tunnels and canyons, and passing through areas not accessible by car. I had a lounge seat booked in a carriage, but managed to get a seat in the viewing dome for about 3 hours and really enjoyed the colourful commentary from retired park rangers. I also booked a sitting in the dining car for an expensive but better than 'Virgin/GW Rail' meal.

The last 5 hours, after it got dark, was a bit of a slog, but I arrived into SLC refreshed and ready for a few beers before getting my head down in the hotel.

If I remember correctly, the ticket was about $90, and would have been much cheaper if I had booked in advance.

I did 50 things I’d never done before when. I turned 50

My Mrs and I did 25 things we’d never done before (Nowt sexy) in our 25th wedding anniversary year.

Daft things like going to the ballet (Brilliant)

Quad biking (shite)

Not many left for me

Never seen a buffalo 

Want to see Northern lights

Hear wolves howl in the wild 

West Ham win EPL

Hearts win SPL

Go into space

You may say I’m a dreamer....

1 hour ago, Jamhammer said:

I did 50 things I’d never done before when. I turned 50

My Mrs and I did 25 things we’d never done before (Nowt sexy) in our 25th wedding anniversary year.

Daft things like going to the ballet (Brilliant)

Quad biking (shite)

Not many left for me

Never seen a buffalo 

Want to see Northern lights

Hear wolves howl in the wild 

West Ham win EPL

Hearts win SPL

Go into space

You may say I’m a dreamer....

I'm pretty sure I heard this in the late 80s when camping :o in the Picos de Europa, in NW Spain. I'd woken-up sometime in the early hours and heard these very wolf-like howls in the distance. The campsite was surrounded by mountains and wild and unspoilt scenery - there were / are still a few wild brown bears there too - so there's every chance there would've been wolves as well. In the next tent, my sister had heard the howling as well, and she also reckoned it was wolves.

I suppose it could have just been dogs, but it was regular, sustained, came from several individuals from the same direction and distance, and - as I said - sounded exactly like wolves' howls I'd heard on nature documentaries.

Edited by Auld Reekin'

Will sound silly to some but I'd love to tick off as many of the top rollercoasters in the world as I can.

Amusement today (US publication) ranks the top 50 steel and top 50 wood every year. Even hitting the top 5 of each would be massive. 

Probably only have about 15 across both top 50s 👎

5 hours ago, jonesy said:

I'd love to do three of the long distance thru hikes in the States -* the Appalachian, Pacific Crest and Continental Divide. Got permission from the wife to do one within the next few years, and will probably make it the PCT. Read so many reports, stories, poems and seen so many documentaries, YT vids and pictures of it.

Only real long-distance hike I've done before was the GR10 in the Pyrenees, but had to call it short after a knee injury :( 

*I hope you've no conned the wife, and these are three dirties you know., Jones. :D

luckyBatistuta
4 hours ago, jonesy said:

Ha! Great names for hookers, especially Continental Divide...

:rofl:  Pacific Crest sounds good too, like big hills.

luckyBatistuta

To take in a Penn State game, just incredible. 

Say what you want about Americans, they know how to put on a show. Folk having fun and not giving a shit about what others think of them.

Shanks said no

Ours are travel related, Greece, Canaries and the World

- Stayed on 7 of the 8 Canary Islands, really need to get to El Hierro - will achieve this easily

- To stay on as many Greek Islands as we can, this one can't really be on a list as there are 227. Already been to more than most Greeks but there are a few we still want to visit, including Tilos, Santorini (last airport from UK we haven't used!), Kastellorizo and Gavdos - will achieve this to our satisfaction

- visit every country in the world, all 193 (depends how you count them) - the impossible dream, its also a family challenge as to how many countries we have all been to, our kids are catching up with us fast. All 4 of us have between to 30 and 50.

Edited by The Frenchman Returns