JWL

Seen the other bucket list thread in the terrace but this one is for non-football related things to do before you check out. Always fancied The Ashes in Australia, Boxing Day Test in Melbourne to be specific.

Another one is to go to the Ryder Cup in America so plans are in place to go to Whistling Straits in September.

2 hours ago, JWL said:

Seen the other bucket list thread in the terrace but this one is for non-football related things to do before you check out. Always fancied The Ashes in Australia, Boxing Day Test in Melbourne to be specific.

Another one is to go to the Ryder Cup in America so plans are in place to go to Whistling Straits in September.

You might want to rethink the Ryder Cup in America. My folks have done 2 in Europe and one in the states. They didn’t even attempt the Sunday in America due to the behaviour of the crowd. Their are fairly laid back people but were so angry after 2 days they stayed in the hotel to watch it.

Heartsmad1874

Living/working in Australia was one of my mine. Done it for a short time but ended prematurely because of Covid :(. Gutted i never got to do more like go visit places like The Great Barrier Reef etc. Would also love to do the same in Canada/US.

My wife and I  completed our bucket list, we both agreed that there was nothing else we wanted to do or see. We travelled which we both had done before we met, we had success, we faced together adversity, we celebrated, we mourned, it is of great satisfaction to know we agreed the term  " I wish we had" had no relevance to us. So if you have a bucket list get it done there is no better feeling than achievement.

I’d love to travel on the Orient express travelling from Paris to basically anywhere in Europe . Have a few dinners on it and enjoy the incredible views 

The Real Maroonblood
1 hour ago, JamesM48 said:

I’d love to travel on the Orient express travelling from Paris to basically anywhere in Europe . Have a few dinners on it and enjoy the incredible views 

My wife and I considered this but sharing loos put us off.😟

Apart from that it looked good.

Opted for doing the Rockies by train.

An absolute wonderful experience.

3 minutes ago, The Real Maroonblood said:

Ah thats second on my bucket list. Seen a few good documentaries about the Rockies and the train journey. Lucky you and the Mrs.  I have travelled all over Europe via train but not had the luxury experience of the Orient Express . 

The Real Maroonblood
Just now, JamesM48 said:

Ah thats second on my bucket list. Seen a few good documentaries about the Rockies and the train journey. Lucky you and the Mrs.  I have travelled all over Europe via train but not had the luxury experience of the Orient Express . 

We did it 2 years ago and it was well worth it.

28 minutes ago, The Real Maroonblood said:

We did it 2 years ago and it was well worth it.

Yes it certainly seems so. Ill need to save up a couple grand to make it happen lol

The Real Maroonblood
16 minutes ago, JamesM48 said:

Yes it certainly seems so. Ill need to save up a couple grand to make it happen lol

James you better double that and thats just for yourself. 

There's obviously different packages to suit your budget. 

Loads of things that I can't quite remember at the minute. A couple of travel related ones though:

- Visit (and also have sex in) all 50 US states

- Take the Trans-Siberian Railway all the way across Russia

- Travel all the way around the world in a single trip. Did this without realizing it at the start of the year on a combined holiday/work jolly (Houston > London > Paris > Frankfurt > Seoul > LA > Houston)

Another one I got from a credit card advert years and years ago (can't remember which one) was to send back a passport BEFORE it expires because it's full. Mine currently has 1 page left and until 2023 to fill it, so I think that one's in the bag 😊

Edited by trotter

57 minutes ago, The Real Maroonblood said:

Was that the Rockie Mountaineer train from Vancouver, we done that one our late daughter was married to one of the Board members so we got a comliimentary package. An excellent experience.

3 minutes ago, trotter said:

Loads of things that I can't quite remember at the minute. A couple of travel related ones though:

- Visit (and also have sex in) all 50 US states

- Take the Trans-Siberian Railway all the way across Russia

- Travel all the way around the world. Did this without realizing it at the start of the year on a combined holiday/work trip (Houston > London > Paris > Frankfurt > Seoul > LA > Houston)

Another one I got from a credit card advert years and years ago (can't remember which one) was to send back a passport BEFORE it expires because it's full. Mine currently has 1 page left and until 2023 to fill it, so I think that one's in the bag 😊

My wife and I done the States thing on probably well over half. The next night we returned to Canada .😛

Edited by Sharpie

13 minutes ago, JamesM48 said:

For an alternative, this might be worth a look:

https://www.spain.info/en/discover-spain/transcantabrico-luxury-train-hotel/

Never been on this train, but have been along most of the routes that these trains take on the much, much cheaper (and much, much more basic!) FEVE trains*. The scenery is really beautiful and there are many interesting and historical cities, towns and villages in the regions they pass through. Looks like the grub is decent too!

https://www.theguardian.com/travel/2017/aug/15/slow-train-spain-feve-railway-santander-asturias-galicia

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/destinations/europe/spain/articles/Spain-by-train-riding-the-narrow-gauge-FEVE-railway/

map_feve_general.png

I’ve done LA to NYC by train in 2007. Amazingly as I just booked a standard seat it was only $140 which at the time was £70 due to a very kind exchange rate. Massive reclining seat way bigger than an airplane seat. For $500 I could have booked a cabin with a double bed and shower but I’m the type of person that can sleep anywhere. The train was at most a quarter full and had one of the glass topped observation cars so you could spend all day sitting there. There was an 8 hour change in Chicago but I could have opted for a longer stop and spent the night there. Amazing to watch the world go by from desert, to mountains, to prairies, then normal countryside, then thick forest as it went along the Canadian border before coming all the way down New York State and approaching New York City arriving at Penn Station. 

30 minutes ago, The Real Maroonblood said:

James you better double that and thats just for yourself. 

There's obviously different packages to suit your budget. 

Oh no ! lol

24 minutes ago, Auld Reekin' said:

For an alternative, this might be worth a look:

https://www.spain.info/en/discover-spain/transcantabrico-luxury-train-hotel/

Never been on this train, but have been along most of the routes that these trains take on the much, much cheaper (and much, much more basic!) FEVE trains*. The scenery is really beautiful and there are many interesting and historical cities, towns and villages in the regions they pass through. Looks like the grub is decent too!

https://www.theguardian.com/travel/2017/aug/15/slow-train-spain-feve-railway-santander-asturias-galicia

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/destinations/europe/spain/articles/Spain-by-train-riding-the-narrow-gauge-FEVE-railway/

map_feve_general.png

That looks incredible too.  I have travelled by train from Paris - Lyon- Cannes- Monaco- Milan-Rome - Naples and ended in Sorrento.  Breathtaking. Did Swiss Alps too. 

45 minutes ago, Tazio said:

I’ve done LA to NYC by train in 2007. Amazingly as I just booked a standard seat it was only $140 which at the time was £70 due to a very kind exchange rate. Massive reclining seat way bigger than an airplane seat. For $500 I could have booked a cabin with a double bed and shower but I’m the type of person that can sleep anywhere. The train was at most a quarter full and had one of the glass topped observation cars so you could spend all day sitting there. There was an 8 hour change in Chicago but I could have opted for a longer stop and spent the night there. Amazing to watch the world go by from desert, to mountains, to prairies, then normal countryside, then thick forest as it went along the Canadian border before coming all the way down New York State and approaching New York City arriving at Penn Station. 

what an experience 

2 hours ago, The Real Maroonblood said:

Indeed. You couldn't keep me away from that observation deck when I did it. 😃

4 minutes ago, Tazio said:

I was thinking more of ways to make the queue work. 

Right, the queue - Karen Gillan at the front, me attached to her........don't care after that!!

The Real Maroonblood
2 hours ago, Sharpie said:

Was that the Rockie Mountaineer train from Vancouver, we done that one our late daughter was married to one of the Board members so we got a comliimentary package. An excellent experience.

Started at Jasper and finished at Vancouver 

It was brilliant.

3 hours ago, JamesM48 said:

Took the California Zephyr from Chicago to San Francisco two years ago. 54 hours on the train including the Rockies. Absolutely outstanding journey. Thoroughly recommend it. Not that expensive either. Seats only was $200, the roomette cabin was an additional 450. 

7 minutes ago, jonesy said:

Love the FEVE! Was stuck working without any colleagues for a fortnight in Aviles (there's only so many times you can look at the Oscar Niemeyer centre) and enjoyed the journey to Gijon a few times.

:icon14:

Did you ever get to Oviedo? Spent a few days there a year-and-a-bit ago and really liked it: interesting and historical, but lively and with a nice "vibe" to it too.

2 hours ago, jonesy said:

For some reason decided against it at the time. Hopefully end up back there at some point in the future. You're not the first person to mention that it's a good place.

Did my own bucket list trip around Spain when we were on our run at the start of 2005/06. Drove to Plymouth with a now ex-girlfriend in a K-plate Pug 205. Ferry across to Santander, then hit Palencia, Salamanca, Merida, Caceres, Seville, Granada, Almeria, Mojacar (where my grandfather lived), Valencia, Madrid, and then back to Santander, stopping at Tordesillas' Parador on the final leg. Car survived with only one puncture on the whole journey, and saw a great slice of Spain as we went. Probably still one of my top five trips of all time. Only downside was missing so many of our games at the start of that season!

Sounds a good trip. In the early-mid 00s, we did two separate tours: one around Andalucía and one around central Spain.

For the first, we went Madrid-Sevilla-Córdoba-Granada, with two or three days in each, before having a week in Ronda and then heading back to Madrid via Sevilla. For the second, we again started in Madrid and then went Toledo-Arenas de San Pedro (Sierra de Gredos)-Ávila-Salamanca-Segovia, again with a few nights in each place, and then back to Madrid. Both were really enjoyable tours, using the railway and hired cars to get around, but we didn't really think of them as "bucket-list" at the time, probably because they were quite a while ago!

I suppose I do think of them in more of those terms now though...

Over the years I've seen quite a lot of northern Spain too, with the Aragón Pyrenees being a particular favourite area to go to. Away from the resorts, Spain's a marvellous country with beautiful scenery, a lot of history and culture, very good food and wine, and - overall - friendly and hospitable people. Love it!

A Boy Named Crow

I currently live in Sydney,  my plan is to one day head back to Scotland by land and boat.

Indian Pacific and The Ghan to Darwin

(this next bit is tricky) island hop by boat through PNG / Indonesia,  across to Malaysia.

Train / bus / tuk tuk my way up to China. A combination of trans-siberian and trans-mongolian railways gets me to Moscow. 

Train across Europe, through the tunnel..London, train to Glasgow.

Easy as!

No idea how long I'd spend doing this. 

Edited by A Boy Named Crow

10 minutes ago, A Boy Named Crow said:

I currently live in Sydney,  my plan is to one day head back to Scotland by land and boat.

Indian Pacific and The Ghan to Darwin

(this next bit is tricky) island hop by boat through PNG / Indonesia,  across to Malaysia.

Train / bus / tuk tuk my way up to China. A combination of trans-siberian and trans-mongolian railways gets me to Moscow. 

Train across Europe, through the tunnel..London, train to Glasgow.

Easy as!

No idea how long I'd spend doing this. 

You can still book cabin space on merchant ships with some companies. Could be an interesting way to do the Indian Ocean. 

A Boy Named Crow
8 minutes ago, Tazio said:

You can still book cabin space on merchant ships with some companies. Could be an interesting way to do the Indian Ocean. 

Aye, I know that's an option, but really I want to do as much of it by land as possible. 

There is the hardcore option, cross the Indian Ocean to India, then up through the 'Stans into Russia, then the easy bit...

The banged up abroad version of the hard option involves turning left at Pakistan, going through Iran, Saudi Arabia, across North Africa to Morocco,  boat to Gibraltar and then train it up.

My original route I reckon carries the best chance of me making it alive!

I have things I want to do, like a long holiday in Windsor Ontario and travel the whole of Canada, where possible. Visit New Zealand etc... Etc... I'd also like to be able to see someone else's point of view, without getting fascist and angry about it. 

But I only have one item(except take care of my family) on my bucket list, but I'll say no more about it, I'll keep it to things I want to do, before I die. 

Visit

Canada, NZ, Siberia to see a tiger, and last and not least, visit and possibly take in a show in the Mighty Cities of London and New York over the least days as possible, so I can make it hectic as possible. They seem like none stop places, so why should I. 

Does. 

Learn a couple of languages. 

Start to read more. 

Start a YouTube channel on teaching proper preparation and know how in building trade. Or something in weight training for older folk. 

Buy a turn table and start listening to my old albums again, plus restock on the ones I thrown out about 25 years ago. 

Edited by ri Alban

luckyBatistuta
4 minutes ago, ri Alban said:

I have things I want to do, like a long holiday in Windsor Ontario and travel the whole of Canada, where possible. Visit New Zealand etc... Etc... I'd also like to be able to see someone else's point of view, without getting fascist and angry about it. 

But I only have one item(except take care of my family) on my bucket list, but I'll say no more about it, I'll keep it to things I want to do, before I die. 

Visit

Canada, NZ, Siberia to see a tiger, and last and not least, visit and possibly take in a show in the Mighty Cities of London and New York over the least days as possible, so I can make it hectic as possible. They seem like none stop places, so why should I. 

Does. 

Learn a couple of languages. 

Start to read more. 

Start a YouTube channel on teaching proper preparation and know how in building trade. Or something in weight training for older folk. 

Buy a turn table and start listening to my old albums again, plus restock on the ones I thrown out about 25 years ago. 

Wait a minute, no Super Bowl😱 but the famous Washington Football Team will be partaking in it. Why would that not be on your list🤔

5 minutes ago, luckyBatistuta said:

Wait a minute, no Super Bowl😱 but the famous Washington Football Team will be partaking in it. Why would that not be on your list🤔

I'll wait til the UK is officially part of the US, then it will be probably played at Hampden, known my luck. You know, like the Euros. Where we qualify to travel to Hot countries like Spain and Greece, NO! We qualify to play in the pushing rain in Scotland. 

But seriously, I forgot. :D

Edited by ri Alban

luckyBatistuta
1 minute ago, ri Alban said:

I'll wait til the UK is officially part of the US, then it will be probably played at Hampden, known my luck. You know, like the Euros. Where we qualify to travel to Hot countries like Spain and Greece, NO! We qualify to play in the pushing rain in Scotland. 

:lol: I reckon you still won’t have played in one before then :tt2:

Just now, luckyBatistuta said:

:lol: I reckon you still won’t have played in one before then :tt2:

We'll see. As it stands we're tap a the table. 

:yas:

What about Dallas, my god, they really are awful. Isn't it great! :D

luckyBatistuta
1 minute ago, ri Alban said:

We'll see. As it stands we're tap a the table. 

:yas:

What about Dallas, my god, they really are awful. Isn't it great! :D

No, it isn’t😡...i put my money on the useless erseholes to win it all. Knew their D wasn’t good, but omg😭

11 minutes ago, luckyBatistuta said:

No, it isn’t😡...i put my money on the useless erseholes to win it all. Knew their D wasn’t good, but omg😭

I thought they were Unstoppable. :facepalm:

luckyBatistuta
8 minutes ago, ri Alban said:

I thought they were Unstoppable. :facepalm:

Their offense with Dak in there was seriously good. The problem was, they needed even just a little help from their D to take the pressure off, but nothing, absolutely awful.

3 minutes ago, luckyBatistuta said:

Their offense with Dak in there was seriously good. The problem was, they needed even just a little help from their D to take the pressure off, but nothing, absolutely awful.

Have they lost all their D to CV19 non playing list or are they just Tom Kite? 

Edited by ri Alban

luckyBatistuta
6 minutes ago, ri Alban said:

Have they lost all their D to CV19 non playing list or are they just Tom Kite? 

100% Tom Kite

3 minutes ago, luckyBatistuta said:

100% Tom Kite

:D

And :yas:

America's team, my arse. Everyone hates them, even Cowboy fans, Atm. 

Edited by ri Alban