January transfer window ( Now closed )

kingantti1874

Juho_Makela_Goal_Machine
2 minutes ago, wavydavy said:

I am not sure that our interest is purely down to the numbert of goals he will score in our league although that is a bonus if he does.

My thougths are that he is an option that will take probably two defenders away leaving more space for Boyce to score which we know he can do.

Yeah I agree with this, although I don't know that the boy is nailed on to be able to draw defenders and be physical presence in the much more physical Scottish game. Just think it's a gamble and a commitment of resources that we don't need to be undertaking at the minute.

• Replies 11.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Pasquale for King

• GinRummy

• Cruyff

• Lord Beni of Gorgie

7 minutes ago, CJGJ said:

I am sure someone would have thought of that (the authorities are always on the ball  !!)......however on the face of it a player would have a very good case for compensation should it go to court

Perhaps why the rules were written as they were previously to avoid this issue

There must have been similar circumstances though perhaps not applying to the age of 23 before

Maybe "Restraint of Trade" might apply. I think some compromise would happen though as a small amount of money is better than nothing.

Years gone by, but it is better for players now. Rene Moller signed for us in 1968 then moved back to Denmark in 1970 to start up his Photography business. He had to give up football in his 20s as we retained his registration till around 1986 (when he was about 40) Draconian rules in those days but when a club held your registration that was you....

Hackney Hearts

I am not sure that our interest is purely down to the numbert of goals he will score in our league although that is a bonus if he does.

My thougths are that he is an option that will take probably two defenders away leaving more space for Boyce to score which we know he can do.

Yes - and his goals stats aren't that bad. Roughly 1 goal in 3.4 matches (16 in 54) for Walsall.

To compare with a previously successful Hearts target man, Sandy Clark scored at a rate of 1 goal in 3.9 matches with us...

(35 in 136)

True, Sandy faced some better opposition, but he had some really good players around him too!

35 minutes ago, Juho_Makela_Goal_Machine said:

Not sure about paying a fee for a guy who's never scored goals above league 2 level before, and he's hardly been prolific at that level either. Would prefer to loan someone until the end of the season and have a look at some better options in the summer.

Sounds like another player designed to bring others into.the game rather than an out and out goalscorer. This seems to have been the Hearts way for some time. Some may prefer a forward who can get goals with others doing the creating rather than relying on the forward being the focal point. It hasn't been a great policy for some time

Edited by Riccarton3

Perhaps I’m in the minority but I really don’t think we should be spending anything on someone who hasn’t scored a goal above the English League 2. 

We've signed some utter dross from that division. 

Ex member of the SaS
1 minute ago, King prawn said:

Perhaps I’m in the minority but I really don’t think we should be spending anything on someone who hasn’t scored a goal above the English League 2. 

Personally prefer to leave player purchases to those who know what they are talking about. Robbie will know the type of player he wants.

6 minutes ago, Juho_Makela_Goal_Machine said:

Yeah I agree with this, although I don't know that the boy is nailed on to be able to draw defenders and be physical presence in the much more physical Scottish game. Just think it's a gamble and a commitment of resources that we don't need to be undertaking at the minute.

Any new signing is a gamble to an extent but obvioulsy if the appropriate research into a player is done then the risk should reduce.

I think we do need to be looking at options not just for the rest of this season but building a team for next season assuming we are promoted.

It can take a while for a player to gel with his new team-mates and the sooner we get players in to do this the better in my opinion.

When Boyce is out then we have struggled a bit and Naismith seems to not be an option on artificial surfaces leaving Wighton, Henderson and maybe Roberst as our striking options!!!!!

So for me I think we need someone in asap as those three will and have struggled to score goals.

Just now, Riccarton3 said:

Sounds like another player designed to bring others into.the game rather than an out and out goalscorer. This seems to have been the Hearts way for some time. Some may prefer a forward who can get goals with others doing the creating rather than relying on the forward being the focal point

Back in the day, players had a specific role. Robbo was the goalscorer, Colquhoun the supplier and Clark the target man. But it was generally up to the midfield to create forward balls for the three of them. Nowadays it's a big guy upfront to take players out to create space for lots of defensive midfielders to support one striker. Oh for the days when football was straight forward and simple!

4 minutes ago, jambonian said:

Back in the day, players had a specific role. Robbo was the goalscorer, Colquhoun the supplier and Clark the target man. But it was generally up to the midfield to create forward balls for the three of them. Nowadays it's a big guy upfront to take players out to create space for lots of defensive midfielders to support one striker. Oh for the days when football was straight forward and simple!

The mindset seems to be,well we don't have the right attacking mids so lets get a big target man to lay it off to......oh, right

Edited by Riccarton3

23 minutes ago, David Black said:

What I don't understand is that if the player can sign a pre-contract with us, why are we bothering approaching the club. 

I think it is because we can sign him on a pre contract however if we want him in this transfer window then a fee has to be agreed.

There are other posts on here that mention a change in rules regarding how mcuh has to be paid.

kingantti1874
7 minutes ago, King prawn said:

yeah we should target signings from  la liga

1 hour ago, GinRummy said:

It was never going to produce the conveyor belt of talent that some were expecting. Never will either. It happens so rarely at any club, particularly a club our size, that it’s bordering on fantasy. 

There is probably a middle ground though. I agree we are never gonna have a conveyor belt of talent being sold for millions down south. But I don’t think it is unrealistic to expect, say, 1 player a season to break through into the First Team; and maybe once every 2-3 years to have a player who could command a £1M+ fee. 

5 minutes ago, Ex member of the SaS said:

Personally prefer to leave player purchases to those who know what they are talking about. Robbie will know the type of player he wants.

Ouch :lol: 

Point taken but still, I’d prefer it if we waited and set our sights higher in the summer. 

Ex member of the SaS
Just now, King prawn said:

Ouch :lol: 

Point taken but still, I’d prefer it if we waited and set our sights higher in the summer. 

Sorry wasn't meant to be nippy.

Juho_Makela_Goal_Machine

Any new signing is a gamble to an extent but obvioulsy if the appropriate research into a player is done then the risk should reduce.

I think we do need to be looking at options not just for the rest of this season but building a team for next season assuming we are promoted.

It can take a while for a player to gel with his new team-mates and the sooner we get players in to do this the better in my opinion.

When Boyce is out then we have struggled a bit and Naismith seems to not be an option on artificial surfaces leaving Wighton, Henderson and maybe Roberst as our striking options!!!!!

So for me I think we need someone in asap as those three will and have struggled to score goals.

Yep agree that we've got limited options up top. 100% need 1 or 2 new forwards for next season. Just think we can leave our options open to find something a bit better for next season.

1 minute ago, Riccarton3 said:

The mindset seems to be,well we don't have the right attacking mids so lets get a big target man to lay it off to......oh,right

What it does is give us another option.

When Ginnelly was injured we saw how limited we were by playing the ball through midfield with our lack of energy and pace.

Berra as we know tends to have a couple of passes across the park before launching it and invariably giving the ball away because we don't have an option up fron that can take his passes.

It's not an ideal way to play but it gives another option and I think Robbie is actively looking for a box to box type midfielder than can provide other options.

3 minutes ago, wavydavy said:

I think it is because we can sign him on a pre contract however if we want him in this transfer window then a fee has to be agreed.

There are other posts on here that mention a change in rules regarding how mcuh has to be paid.

Ah right, never thought of that,thanks.

11 minutes ago, King prawn said:

I've not seen Adebayo at all, but, to be fair, we've signed some rubbish from the english prem and la liga!  Not bothered about where they come from really.  Been some good spl signings for a few hundred thousand from L2, even the conference I think.

1 minute ago, TheOak88 said:

There is probably a middle ground though. I agree we are never gonna have a conveyor belt of talent being sold for millions down south. But I don’t think it is unrealistic to expect, say, 1 player a season to break through into the First Team; and maybe once every 2-3 years to have a player who could command a £1M+ fee. 

Not sure about the million pound fee but we are getting a player a season from the youths. Certainly in the last two seasons. You’re right though, it could definitely be better. I’m just not sure how much better is realistic. 

1 minute ago, Juho_Makela_Goal_Machine said:

Yep agree that we've got limited options up top. 100% need 1 or 2 new forwards for next season. Just think we can leave our options open to find something a bit better for next season.

Maybe we are. I honestly don't think Wighton will be offered a new deal and I don't think Henderson is the answer either.

1 minute ago, Dia Liom said:

I've not seen Adebayo at all, but, to be fair, we've signed some rubbish from the english prem and la liga!  Not bothered about where they come from really.  Been some good spl signings for a few hundred thousand from L2, even the conference I think.

Exactly. It’s the player and not the league. 

5 minutes ago, wavydavy said:

What it does is give us another option.

When Ginnelly was injured we saw how limited we were by playing the ball through midfield with our lack of energy and pace.

Berra as we know tends to have a couple of passes across the park before launching it and invariably giving the ball away because we don't have an option up fron that can take his passes.

It's not an ideal way to play but it gives another option and I think Robbie is actively looking for a box to box type midfielder than can provide other options.

I just want Hearts to change the record. Concentrate on your midfield for once and that means realising your current ones with one exception are not good enough. Yes, another forward, but it doesn't HAVE to be target of man in the mould we've seen: Johnson, Uche, Stockton!....isolated. Buy an out and out goalscorer

Reading we would be liable for 100k min even if we signed Adebayo on a pre-contract. According to EEN. Might explain why (if) we have bid 150k

2 hours ago, GinRummy said:

Hardly a fair test of success these days. How many have nailed a spot in the first team is a fairer way to evaluate it all. 

Depends how the 1st team are performing

A_A wehatethehibs
1 minute ago, wavydavy said:

Maybe we are. I honestly don't think Wighton will be offered a new deal and I don't think Henderson is the answer either.

I reckon there’s a chance Wighton will get offered an extension but he might want to go somewhere where he’s got more chance to play. Maybe back to Dundee. But if I were him I reckon it’d be smart to try and stay at Hearts 1 more season in the Premiership if he’s  maintained his contribution. If he can get to 10 goals as essentially backup to Boyce and Naismith, I think that’s really good progress, a 1 year extension would be worth rolling the dice on.

But could be Neilson sees him as a Keatings type, good enough for this level but not good enough to kick us onward and upward. we’ll see 

bobby bombscare

JKB logic:

reply 1: the academy is rubbish

reply 2: our recruitment is crap

reply 3: budge out!

reply 4: *generic statement attacking players with little to no evidence to back up the statement*

reply 5: our team couldn’t kick a ball never mind know the shape

reply 6: I think it’s round

Reply 7: Lafferty 💦💦💦💦💦💦

Edited by bobby bombscare

19 minutes ago, wavydavy said:

EEN reporting that new FIFA rules mean we will have to pay 100k development fee even if we get him in the summer.  Most of which would go to Fulham. Maybe that's where this 150k figures people are saying has come from. 50k sweetener to let him go now.

6 minutes ago, WDJ87 said:

Reading we would be liable for 100k min even if we signed Adebayo on a pre-contract. According to EEN. Might explain why (if) we have bid 150k

Just read the same, does explain the possible 150k

15 minutes ago, baxterd1974 said:

EEN reporting that new FIFA rules mean we will have to pay 100k development fee even if we get him in the summer.  Most of which would go to Fulham. Maybe that's where this 150k figures people are saying has come from. 50k sweetener to let him go now.

👍

21 minutes ago, A_A wehatethehibs said:

I reckon there’s a chance Wighton will get offered an extension but he might want to go somewhere where he’s got more chance to play. Maybe back to Dundee. But if I were him I reckon it’d be smart to try and stay at Hearts 1 more season in the Premiership if he’s  maintained his contribution. If he can get to 10 goals as essentially backup to Boyce and Naismith, I think that’s really good progress, a 1 year extension would be worth rolling the dice on.

But could be Neilson sees him as a Keatings type, good enough for this level but not good enough to kick us onward and upward. we’ll see 

I think Robbie was correct on this so will be interesting to see if he does offer him a new deal.

19 minutes ago, baxterd1974 said:

Sounds the most plausible.

I keep trying to fit this into Walsall's comments about our conduct and I can't figure it out. Surely we're doing them a favour? 

Time to arrange a loan/new signing and giving them the cash.

24 minutes ago, A_A wehatethehibs said:

I reckon Wighton should get a one year deal to see if he can raise his game further. Even if we do re-sign him we need a target man type striker and clearly Adebayo could meet that description.

However, we should be looking at a younger striker that we can develop - maybe in the 19-21 age group as we need reinforcements. Somebody like Fraser Hornby at Reims (has only played three games for them) and may be out of favour or struggling to adapt to life over there. Perhaps a loan deal with an option?

Do you think Hearts have a midfield coach? 

Got a goalie coach, probably a defence coach and a forwards coach. Who are we relying on for midfield? 

1 minute ago, Riccarton3 said:

Got a goalie coach, probably a defence coach and a forwards coach. Who are we relying on for midfield? 

Damour, he's doing f-all else

2 hours ago, GinRummy said:

Right John. Give us the low down please. You’re an ITK kinda guy. 

We really want a striker in. One in now , the other Pre contract and same with midfield. Centre half's we are willing to wait till end of season for. But don't count us out from getting one in. Busy week ahead for Savage and co.

Just now, johnking123 said:

We really want a striker in. One in now , the other Pre contract and same with midfield. Centre half's we are willing to wait till end of season for. But don't count us out from getting one in. Busy week ahead for Savage and co.

Thanks 👍

20 minutes ago, Riccarton3 said:

This is fitbaw son, not American football where you more or less have one coach per player. To many coaches spoil the team.

1 hour ago, TheOak88 said:

Do you mean like Irving coming through this season and Hickey last season, with the latter commanding a £1m+ fee?

Edited by JamboAl

3 minutes ago, John Findlay said:

This is fitbaw son, not American football where you more or less have one coach per player. To many coaches spoil the team.

Can’t help saying that in an Al Pacino voice

8 minutes ago, John Findlay said:

I just think it may explain why our style has been rancid for years

10 minutes ago, Neil Dongcaster said:

Does anyone else think we should try and offload Walker in the summer?

That's a bit of a stupid post!  He's under contract and unless somebody comes in for him it's likely we would have to pay up his contract.  Not sound economics!

2 minutes ago, Andrew Gilbert Wauchope said:

Anyone esle trying and failing to get any sound out of Sprotsound?

Is  Sprotsound  a new program about children ?:whistling:😜

• davemclaren changed the title to January transfer window ( Now closed )