• Replies 11.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Pasquale for King

• GinRummy

• Cruyff

• Lord Beni of Gorgie

Lee was perfect for likes of QoS at home, went absent majority of away games where a bit of grit required. Wish him all the best, hopefully we reinvest in some younger pacey legs

Juho_Makela_Goal_Machine

Weird one but I understand it from both the perspective of the player and the club. Olly Lee had some really good games for us but his lack of mobility isn't suited to the Scottish game. 29 year old and contract up at the end of the year, its a good time for him to go. Will always remember that pinger at ER. Best of luck to him.

Hopefully this means we can free up some room the get an athletic midfielder in.

1 hour ago, A_A wehatethehibs said:

Manager of the month in a tin pot league, nobody cares and rightly so. And that’s coming from me a big defender of neilsons, I support him and am looking forward to his plans once he’s managed to get rid of the remaining driftwood in the squad.

But as you say, as long as we get someone good in, thats the main thing. Louis Moult would be the most interesting one for me, as if he gets fit he’ll be 28 and should by rights be just coming into his prime. Hearts would be a destination club for him not a waystation. 

But if we end up with nobody in, it won’t be a good look, saying publicly you want an extra striker to add a different dimension but then passing up an easy chance to get Laff on a free who let’s face it, 17 games left in the championship would be guaranteed to knock in 5-10 goals plus he would give us an extra big game edge in any cup fixtures we might see. So, let’s assume the management team are very confident that we will definitely get our target signed, whoever it may be. 

Agree Moult is a tricky one. Sign him and, as you’d expect with Hearts his injury recurs RN etc will get hammered. His signing would also, really be for next season. He’s not played for ages.

Id take the punt to be honest but it is a punt and we’d still be short this season 

Pasquale for King
12 minutes ago, Rudy T said:

I remember a player called Lee Makel, very much in the same mould as Olly Lee. No one batted an eyelid when he left, that's how far standards have dropped at Hearts.

I saw him in an Estate Agents in Dalry before he left and thought I was ITK 😆😂🤣

Pasquale for King
14 minutes ago, Rudy T said:

I remember a player called Lee Makel, very much in the same mould as Olly Lee. No one batted an eyelid when he left, that's how far standards have dropped at Hearts.

He did create more chances than any other midfielder for years, proving your point how bad we e become but he’s not at the level we need our players to be at. 

Edited by Pasquale for King

13 minutes ago, spirt of 98 said:

He was not very consistent and we can do better. We must have someone lined up! 

Don’t disagree. I’d like someone with a bit more oomph about him. 

17 minutes ago, GinRummy said:

Very. Bit of a shock Lee leaving. Hopefully being replaced with someone who offers something a bit different. 

Most likely is a budget saving mainly. 

The laddie is homesick for the south of England. Hearts have done the best thing for Olly Lee and Olly Lee has done the best thing for Hearts.

Good luck to the laddie.

2 minutes ago, Chaps said:

Kind words....

1C39A8E6-729A-4D45-957A-E0AEE81041F5.jpeg

Once again a player leaves with nothing but praise for all that are Heart of Midlothian.

1 minute ago, Jean Louis Valois said:

We should have tried for Jackson Irvine.

Must have someone else, and better, lined up otherwise I’m sure we would have been in for Irvine. The Lee departure discussion hasn’t just happened this week. Unless Lee is the one out to make wake way for GMS. 

His first few months were great when he was driving forward from midfield and playing off Naisy, Lafferty and Uche.  Never quite lived up to that early promise apart from a couple of gem moments, the goal at ER and the cross for Wighton at Hampden.   

He looks exactly like a former manager that I despised. I’m delighted he’s away, I know that’s irrational but I don’t care.

Салатные палочки

Slow, didn't impose himself on games and went missing far too often. Thanks for the Derby goal and the kind words Olly and all the best. 

Personally though I am not fussed. 

I liked Lee but like others have said he lacked mobility. Saying that he was good for a goal and his crossing from set pieces was terrific most of the time. 

Was happy for him to return at the start of the season for his final year as i thought he would be perfectly adequate for the Championship. And he was. He did what i expected... set up a few passes and goals. Once promoted the chances are he wouldn't have got a new contract anyway so a bit surprised he's left this window. Best of luck.

kingantti1874
4 minutes ago, Salad Fingers said:

Slow, didn't impose himself on games and went missing far too often. Thanks for the Derby goal and the kind words Olly and all the best. 

Personally though I am not fussed. 

yep. Olly had talent, he would have been useful last season - but probably doesn’t offer it consistently enough for where we want to be.

1 hour ago, Jamie Walker Tash said:

Surprised at that tbh.

Especially since we are not exactly overflowing with central midfielders

Neilson did say that he is hoping for one or two to come in. 

Hopefully a midfielder and a striker lined up. 

3 minutes ago, kingantti1874 said:

yep. Olly had talent, he would have been useful last season - but probably doesn’t offer it consistently enough for where we want to be.

What one of our midfield does though.Haliday has been pretty shit when used in the middle , Haring doesn't play enough and Naismith is ineffective so deep.That leaves us with Irvine.

Edited by vegas-voss

Both losses this season we have been bossed in midfield that's not really good enough.My problem isn't Lee going it's just it leaves us with even less options

39 minutes ago, john thomas said:

Wasn't , exactly , his biggest fan but he is a decent squad player . Good passer but , most of the time , took an age to play the pass . Player himself doesn't need to be pacy just be capable of playing telling passes quickly .

Irving has this as does Cochrane . Cochrane just needs to do it consistently

Think Lee has wanted to head south [home] for a while . Best of luck to the guy

It's the level of the game we are at where it's very difficult to find a player that can play passes quickly AND accurately. Always felt that with a bit of time Olly could thread the eye of a needle but suffered from both the pace of the game up here and a lack of movement in front of him at times.  

Lee didn't impose himself enough. Good passer and shot, but that was about it. Mind you the last midfielder I recall imposing himself and taking a game by the scruff of the neck was Harry Cochrane in the 4 - 0 game v Celtic.

kingantti1874
9 minutes ago, vegas-voss said:

What one of our midfield does though.Haliday has been pretty shit when used in the middle , Haring doesn't play enough and Naismith is ineffective so deep.That leaves us with Irvine.

agreed. Haring was fabulous.. but he’s nowhere near. Halliday has looked good in very short bursts. AI is clearly the most relented passer but for me needs to be using that ability to dominate games 

1 hour ago, A_A wehatethehibs said:

Jamie Walker at Center mid 😂 come on now. Id play ****ing Berra at Center mid before I’d put Walker there.  But on your last point, if we’re not signing anyone then yes you’d think we’d surely have to cancel the extension to Cochranes loan because we’d be short a body 

Apologies, my comment wasn't very clear. I did it in a hurry before jumping on a Zoom.

I don't mean centre mid as in a Halliday/Lee centre mid, he's an attacking mid so can still be part of the central midfield setup depending on the formation we're playing. If we were playing a diamond or a 4-2-3-1 or something he could sit in the middle ahead of whoever is playing DM/CM. Can't do anything defensively speaking so definitely don't count him as a deep lying midfielder like the others. I don't really think we are short but if anyone picked up a knock or something we might need to look at bringing him back. Technically Lee could be recalled at any time too if we really had to as he's on an initial loan. 

30 minutes ago, 19/05/2012 said:

Should try and get Ali McCann from St Johnstone

Dream on laddie is not going to drop a division every chance he will get a move down south, folk need to get real.

Neil Dongcaster
1 minute ago, Lfhearts said:

Dream on laddie is not going to drop a division every chance he will get a move down south, folk need to get real.

The salary caps being implemented change the landscape completely for guys moving down south.

In 18 months, Kickback will be full of posts saying that Lee was the best midfielder we ever had.

Wish him luck, he was nowhere near as bad as he was made out to be on here.  Scored some quality goals as well, especially that one against Hibs!

Hearts fans on Twitter 

when they see Olly Lee on the team sheet- he's shite, get rid, why is he starting, never shows up.

Hearts fans when he leaves- strange one, been a key player, better keeping hold of him, mad Robbie oooot

13 minutes ago, Lfhearts said:

The kind of pessimistic attitude that would happily have us buying average run of the mill dross we've been used to for the past 5 years. 

1 minute ago, Bozi said:

Hearts fans on Twitter 

when they see Olly Lee on the team sheet- he's shite, get rid, why is he starting, never shows up.

Hearts fans when he leaves- strange one, been a key player, better keeping hold of him, mad Robbie oooot

He has been a favourite of Neilson and has started most games for us so I do find it strange he has left.  
I thought personally he was a decent footballer at the level we are at just now but nowhere near good enough for the premier league. 
Goid luck for the future but just another in a very long line who will quickly be forgotten about. 
Time for a good box to box midfielder who can run please. 

1 hour ago, 1874robbo said:

Good luck to olly.

Just hope he remembers to take the caravan with him that’s attached to him whenever he’s on the park.

Will he not need to unhook it from Walker first?

1 hour ago, Jambo92 said:

Lee was perfect for likes of QoS at home, went absent majority of away games where a bit of grit required. Wish him all the best, hopefully we reinvest in some younger pacey legs

So do most of the team in away games

• davemclaren changed the title to January transfer window ( Now closed )