January transfer window ( Now closed )

kingantti1874

11 minutes ago, wavydavy said:

If as suggested he is just a loan until the end of the season then he is hardly going to be anywhere near match fit and away again at the end of the season unless there is a potential to keep on permanently.

I am still not convinced that he would add anything that we don't already have. Walker is a decent player when on his game or can be bothered but he just doesn't do it often enough.

I thought hes been released?  I agree a loan would be daft. 

• Replies 11.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Pasquale for King

• GinRummy

• Cruyff

• Lord Beni of Gorgie

4 hours ago, kingantti1874 said:

he is 30. 

He would only if fit be a fantastic signing to play wide on the left. We have tried 3 or 4 players wide left this season and none have been good enough. 

Ronald Villiers
4 hours ago, Stu_HMFC said:

He was good back in the Dundee United days . How old is he now ? must be in his 30s 

He's still better than what we have and is tried and tested.  Aye, he's 30.

6 minutes ago, Ronald Villiers said:

He's still better than what we have and is tried and tested.  Aye, he's 30.

Will offer more than Walker and White do get him in if he is on a free even till the end of the season . Will end up at Aberdeen or Dundee United no doubt . 

2 hours ago, Last Laff said:

GMS would be an outstanding signing. Stewart not so much but better than Walker. 

My thoughts also, gms always impressed me. Expect Sheep will sign him.

jambo-in-furness
7 hours ago, Herbert said:

Think your mixing up Jimmy Dunne and Tony Sibbick.

Hard to get confused between these two,  I was relating to Tony Sibbick,  they added the Tony Sibbick thread to this one, thus the confusion.

1 hour ago, Last Laff said:

I thought hes been released?  I agree a loan would be daft. 

He has not gone yet if this is correct but it looks as if he will be if they can find any mugs to take him.

https://www.footballfancast.com/rangers-news/greg-stewart-glasgow-rangers-steven-gerrard-transfer-latest-news-ross-wilson-alfredo-morelos-jermain-defoe-cedric-itten-kemar-roofe-spfl-gossip-rumour-analysis

He was maybe worth a try about 5/6 years ago but at 30 he is hardly got anything to prove other than picking up more money.

jamboinglasgow

Stewart is good as long as you use him to his strengths. Kilmarnock did that and he was fantastic. Aberdeen signed him and expected him to be amazing by just chucking him in the team. Rangers then signed him as a fringe player.

He would be a good signing but only if we use him correctly.

Tennant's  6's
2 hours ago, Gorillajam said:

My Christmas wish list:

Allan Campbell is an absolute must. Keep Halliday signed up.

Liam Polworth. Good player.

Gallagher, Findlay and/or Jimmy Dunne for Centre backs.

Danny McNamara or Phil O'Donnell for right back.

Kamaba and Ross Stewart. Both are are out of contract this season.

Don't sign Greg Stewart. He can't do it at big clubs.

Some good names on your lost. 

Let's hope that Robbie & the new guy Savage get us some good signings for a change, and punt some of the dross that we've still got. 

Tennant's  6's
2 hours ago, jambogirlglasgow said:

I’m better than Walker 

😂😂  I don't doubt that for a second.

Will be glad to see the back if him, along with some others that are still hanging around.

Jamie Walker has ability but he has no heart at all to compete. 

In his comfort zone he does a job v the Raith and Morton of this world. When he's playing better opposition, if it doesn't happen for him in the first few minutes, the heid down and he's not interested. 

I see Jamie is the current Kickback scapegoat for anything going wrong at the moment...........

Is Berra back in the good books after getting slated on here.........

:berra:

3 hours ago, Gorillajam said:

My Christmas wish list:

Allan Campbell is an absolute must. Keep Halliday signed up.

Liam Polworth. Good player.

Gallagher, Findlay and/or Jimmy Dunne for Centre backs.

Danny McNamara or Phil O'Donnell for right back.

Kamaba and Ross Stewart. Both are are out of contract this season.

Don't sign Greg Stewart. He can't do it at big clubs.

:rofl:

3 hours ago, Last Laff said:

He knows how to beat a man, has trickery and can cross a ball.  I think long term would be a fantastic signing. 

I have no idea if this has any legs but I hope so. Anyone who thinks Greg Stewart would not make our side better is kidding themselves on. One thing we are missing badly is players who can cause problems around the box by having a trick or two and being prepared to go past a defender. Greg Stewart would be a massive upgrade on Walker, Frear, Roberts, Wighton, Henderson and Moore. Because he is very two footed e.g. he can take free kicks and corners with either foot, he can also play either side comfortably.

I advocated signing him when he was at Dundee and a pal of mine’s Dad who has watched Cowdenbeath since the 40s says Greg Stewart is the best player ever to have played for them.

17 minutes ago, Clerry Jambo said:

I see Jamie is the current Kickback scapegoat for anything going wrong at the moment...........

I don't think this is the case it is just that when speculation about new signings arises it is only natural to look at who we already have in a similar position.

But now you mention it do you think that Jamie Walker is doing his best possible in every game to not be "the scapegoat" as you suggest.

I for one think it was a mistake bringing him back to the club but then that was not Robbie's call.

He just doesn't put enough into games for me and from time to time he does produce a few goals or some nice bits of play but it happens far to seldom for me.

Berra unlike Walker gives his all with his limited ability.

Lets face it there is always going to be a certain player that fans "pick on" that is just the nature of the game.

We all have different views on who we like and who we think is worth keeping or bringing in to the club.

But we all know that any signing is a risk but even more so if you don't play them in their strongest position.

If it came to the crunch and Robbie had to get rid of a few players before anyone could be brought in I would have Roberts, Frear and Damour head of the list before Walker.

Ex member of the SaS

Signing players can be a minefield. Some play well for certain managers or with certain partners, finding one who will fit in with team mates and play like the manager wants, is hard. When Robbie came back I was willing to give every player a fresh start as they may just fit in with different tactics etc.

For this reason I leave speculation about signings to those who ( supposedly ) know better, someone who knows how a player will fit in and if they will play for the manager or just cause disruption in the squad.

Having said that I would take Sibbick as he looked the business before injury, but ultimately will let Robbie decide who he wants.

23 minutes ago, Barack said:

Best player since the 40's? For Cowdenbeath, no less?

High praise indeed. 

Stewart was with us as a youth and may not fancy coming back but that apart if his current contract is for over £6k pw (see link above) he's going to have to take a good hit wherever he goes, I'd reckon.  With his CV and aged 30, he'll do well to get half of that.

I get the feeling with the tone of some posters posts on here that they know Walker personally and as a result are quick to jump to his defence. (Which is fine)

I don’t think it can be disputed that Jamie’s return hasn’t really been a case or picking up from where he left off. The manner of his departure also wasn’t great and I think there is a feeling of wanting to see him putting himself about, even when things aren’t working. I think Walker has a terrible habit of hiding when things aren’t going well. That’s bearable at 19/20 but not at 27. Fans want to see a bit of passion, a bit more dropping deep, getting on the ball and trying to drive forward. If it doesn’t work, that’s fine. It’s about seeing him try. 

We’re not looking for Messi 2.0, just him to dig deeper and get involved deeper if he’s finding himself isolated. Naismith is great at this, and as a result you can never really accuse him of hiding. 

55 minutes ago, Clerry Jambo said:

See if Walker performed to anywhere near the amount of effort Berra gives nobody would be skating him.  
Berra not only gives the effort he has proven he is still our best defender with his consistent performances since he got back in the team. He has grabbed his chance. Walker gets chance after chance including being in the team ahead of Lee and Ginnely on Sunday and was anonymous yet again!!!

40 minutes ago, wavydavy said:

I don't think this is the case it is just that when speculation about new signings arises it is only natural to look at who we already have in a similar position.

But now you mention it do you think that Jamie Walker is doing his best possible in every game to not be "the scapegoat" as you suggest.

I for one think it was a mistake bringing him back to the club but then that was not Robbie's call.

He just doesn't put enough into games for me and from time to time he does produce a few goals or some nice bits of play but it happens far to seldom for me.

Berra unlike Walker gives his all with his limited ability.

Lets face it there is always going to be a certain player that fans "pick on" that is just the nature of the game.

We all have different views on who we like and who we think is worth keeping or bringing in to the club.

But we all know that any signing is a risk but even more so if you don't play them in their strongest position.

If it came to the crunch and Robbie had to get rid of a few players before anyone could be brought in I would have Roberts, Frear and Damour head of the list before Walker.

Fair post Davy

I agree and get frustrated with Walker because we have all seen what he can do when on his game.

He was garbage in the final which I have already posted on other threads. He is a player that needs a good run of games to get sharpness, maybe that's an excuse or injuries just catching up with him.

Anyway deflecting from thread topic, I think Greg Stewart could be a decent shout, gives us something different in the box

53 minutes ago, Barack said:

Best player since the 40's? For Cowdenbeath, no less?

High praise indeed. 

Levein, Durie played for Cowdenbeth. Decent players I reckon. 

3 minutes ago, Clerry Jambo said:

Fair post Davy

I agree and get frustrated with Walker because we have all seen what he can do when on his game.

He was garbage in the final which I have already posted on other threads. He is a player that needs a good run of games to get sharpness, maybe that's an excuse or injuries just catching up with him.

Anyway deflecting from thread topic, I think Greg Stewart could be a decent shout, gives us something different in the box

You may be right Clerry but I am hardly brimming with enthusiasm at the though of GS coming to us.

I would much rather we had a young promising player with bundles of pace and energy coming in with a point to prove than the likes of GS.

Re Boyce, delighted to see he still has 2 and a half years on his contract.

Robbie would be mad to sell him(not saying he wants to) it wouldhave to be crazy money  to sell him.

4 minutes ago, bairdy said:

Re Boyce, delighted to see he still has 2 and a half years on his contract.

Robbie would be mad to sell him(not saying he wants to) it wouldhave to be crazy money  to sell him.

Correct. 

Ronald Villiers
3 hours ago, Stu_HMFC said:

Will offer more than Walker and White do get him in if he is on a free even till the end of the season . Will end up at Aberdeen or Dundee United no doubt . 

I would say so mate.  It sounds like Aberdeen will need to move someone on before they can offer GMS a deal.  They may be talking bollocks though.  

1 hour ago, Clerry Jambo said:

Been reading a right few have a go at him from Sunday.. 

The thing I'm most surprised is our management team thought it would be a good idea to as walker to play in the position he was in while the teams set up to defend .

But sunday's Gone now and time to move on 

1 hour ago, OTT said:

I get the feeling with the tone of some posters posts on here that they know Walker personally and as a result are quick to jump to his defence. (Which is fine)

I don’t think it can be disputed that Jamie’s return hasn’t really been a case or picking up from where he left off. The manner of his departure also wasn’t great and I think there is a feeling of wanting to see him putting himself about, even when things aren’t working. I think Walker has a terrible habit of hiding when things aren’t going well. That’s bearable at 19/20 but not at 27. Fans want to see a bit of passion, a bit more dropping deep, getting on the ball and trying to drive forward. If it doesn’t work, that’s fine. It’s about seeing him try. 

We’re not looking for Messi 2.0, just him to dig deeper and get involved deeper if he’s finding himself isolated. Naismith is great at this, and as a result you can never really accuse him of hiding. 

Great post mate and difficult to disagree with much of what you say.

I think the injuries he's suffered during his career have impacted his confidence and as such is a shadow of the player he once was. 

bringonthesevco
1 hour ago, Billy Hoyle said:

See if Walker performed to anywhere near the amount of effort Berra gives nobody would be skating him.  
Berra not only gives the effort he has proven he is still our best defender with his consistent performances since he got back in the team. He has grabbed his chance. Walker gets chance after chance including being in the team ahead of Lee and Ginnely on Sunday and was anonymous yet again!!!

Berra our best defender !!!

He'd make it into my top 4

Kingsley

Smith

Halkett

Berra 

2 hours ago, Clerry Jambo said:

Walker isn't the scapegoat, he's just finished at a decent level. 

2 hours ago, Billy Hoyle said:

:clap:

9 minutes ago, Last Laff said:

Walker isn't the scapegoat, he's just finished at a decent level. 

Finished before we brought him in again. A meh signing and wasted money. 

2 hours ago, Clerry Jambo said:

Fair post Davy

Jamie Walker hasn’t been match sharp over any worthwhile period of time for several years.

There is no doubt he has the ability.....it’s everything else that is the issue and it’s these that will probably make him surplus to requirements next season.

5 hours ago, jambo-in-furness said:

Hard to get confused between these two,  I was relating to Tony Sibbick,  they added the Tony Sibbick thread to this one, thus the confusion.

Ah I never knew that, is he a target?

Gorgie Boot boy
16 minutes ago, Herbert said:

Ah I never knew that, is he a target?

Tony would walk up the road to sign for us .

Bazzas right boot
4 hours ago, Clerry Jambo said:

2 weeks after winning us the game at Morton. 

jambo-in-furness
9 minutes ago, Gorgie Boot boy said:

Tony would walk up the road to sign for us .

And you know this?  

I thought he was only here because of Daniel Stendel,  perhaps he got the jambo bug.  

Would love to give him another shot at it.

Gorgie Boot boy
1 minute ago, jambo-in-furness said:

And you know this?  

I thought he was only here because of Daniel Stendel,  perhaps he got the jambo bug.  

Would love to give him another shot at it.

Just bits and bobs of his own chat, no idea if we are in for him this season though.

Next year, well we will wait and see.

Unless Bongo has a crystal ball.

1 hour ago, Last Laff said:

Unfortunately aye. 

He was finished before he left. Deffo lost 2/3 yards of pace after the injuries. Done nothing the whole time he was away. Im more shocked that folk thot he was going to rip it up

Gorgie Boot boy
1 minute ago, Chris#9 said:

He was finished before he left. Deffo lost 2/3 yards of pace after the injuries. Done nothing the whole time he was away. Im more shocked that folk thot he was going to rip it up

Jamie made a mistake leaving us in the first place, another player who needs to get the head up.

The squad is still looking to hit top form, battling away is good for some games.

I believe that Jamie has a lot to offer us.

Is this thread about Jan transfers or about Jamie Walker?

Re Toby Sibbick, his season lomg loan has been cut short so maybe there is an opportunity to sign him but how much will Robbie know about him?

Edited by JamboAl

Gorgie Boot boy
17 minutes ago, JamboAl said:

Re Toby Sibbick, his season lomg loan has been cut short so maybe there is an opportunity to sign him but how much will Robbie know about him?

My apologies.

Edited by Gorgie Boot boy

37 minutes ago, JamboAl said:

Only what we tell him.

1 hour ago, JamboAl said:

It's about replacing Walker in the January transfer window, do keep up Einstein. 

Edited by Last Laff

7 minutes ago, Last Laff said:

It's about replacing Walker in the January transfer window, do keep up Einstein. 

Look Frankenstein, if you read the posts, or get someone to read them to you, you will find the deviations are more condemnation of Walker than of replacing him.    Opportunity for the interlopers and the persistent malcontents to vent their spleen not that you need much encouragement.

Edited by JamboAl

11 minutes ago, Last Laff said:

I doubt we will. He’s fine for this season, at least. 

• davemclaren changed the title to January transfer window ( Now closed )