January transfer window ( Now closed )

kingantti1874

8 minutes ago, Batistuta87 said:

If he wants to leave that badly he's going to have to take a wage cut. He surely can't go and demand the same high wages based on his performances in a Hearts jersey since he was utter guff. There comes a point where a footballer has to accept that he's not as good as he thinks he is, and that he's failed at a certain level. When that happens you have no option but to take a step back. 

Hope we find someone for him soon. I've always hated the term, but I am utterly fed up having this wage thief on the books. 

Feels like at every point since 2014 we've had a wage thief on our books, whether that was Oshanawa ('15-17), Martin ('17-19) or Damour ('19-present). I can't help but think that issuing lengthy contracts to players who haven't experienced Scottish football before is unnecessarily risky and considering the age of all of those players offers little upside to being able to actually sell them on for a profit. Some sort of criteria should surely be used when determining the idea contract length. We're not a club that can afford a well paid senior player to be a complete waste of a wage. Its almost a contemptuous use of money. 

If you're going to look to doling out such a long contract, its surely better to try and focus on convincing a youth prospect to commit their future here? or even only offering say, 2 year deals as a maximum with an option to extend if they do well? (I know negotiations with agents/players isn't cut and dry, but we've been stung badly multiple times and frankly weren't learning from it). 

• Replies 11.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Pasquale for King

• GinRummy

• Cruyff

• Lord Beni of Gorgie

6 minutes ago, OTT said:

Feels like at every point since 2014 we've had a wage thief on our books, whether that was Oshanawa ('15-17), Martin ('17-19) or Damour ('19-present). I can't help but think that issuing lengthy contracts to players who haven't experienced Scottish football before is unnecessarily risky and considering the age of all of those players offers little upside to being able to actually sell them on for a profit. Some sort of criteria should surely be used when determining the idea contract length. We're not a club that can afford a well paid senior player to be a complete waste of a wage. Its almost a contemptuous use of money. 

If you're going to look to doling out such a long contract, its surely better to try and focus on convincing a youth prospect to commit their future here? or even only offering say, 2 year deals as a maximum with an option to extend if they do well? (I know negotiations with agents/players isn't cut and dry, but we've been stung badly multiple times and frankly weren't learning from it). 

You are correct in your analysis in my book and I think we hopefully now have capable people in charge of recruitment that will do something along the lines that you suggest and not go down the route of the previous incumbent.

Obviously the risk is that if you sign a player who turns out to be brilliant and you only have him on a one or two year deal then you can lose them for no return.

The options are that you can offer them an imprioved new contract or lose them but that is surely better than being stuck with the duds you quoted above.

Edited by wavydavy

Neil Dongcaster
15 minutes ago, Disco Ball said:

Would it surprise you to know that he didnt ... still on the same money as when he signed.

It would surprise me to know that anyone that knew the details of players contracts would bother posting the details on kickback.

Pasquale for King
10 minutes ago, Batistuta87 said:

Suppose he might aye. Also just wondering if there might be issues with a medical if he's still carrying this heel/ankle problem. Hopefully we can get him back up to a good level of fitness and get him out the door ASAP.  

Definitely took a cut in terms of weekly wages to come here aye, but like you say this 4yr deal was probably worth a lot more than the year or so he had left with Cardiff. Just a shame he's been so pish because I wouldn't mind us paying a big wage to someone who was performing. Its the fact that he's been so utterly shite. 

Absolutely. 

Pasquale for King
18 minutes ago, BackOfTheNet said:

He’s a year and a half into a 4 year contract. With the current situation players are well aware they may be furloughed or let go of football has to stop so stability is what they are looking for. GMS coming to a Championship side doesn’t really make sense football wise, but when you have a guaranteed contract for 2 and half years then it becomes more appealing. Damour sounds like a family man and he’s going to put the interests of his family before his own. So he won’t leave for a short term contract on crap wages when he’s got security of a contract at Hearts for another two and half. Which is perfectly understandable from his point of view. Things are bigger than football right now so it will have to be a decent offer for him to take it.

Exactly. Like the others we had on long contracts that we didn’t  want like Sammon/Oshiniwa/Martin it’s not their fault they were given these deals. 

Bazzas right boot
4 hours ago, wavydavy said:

Like Souttar.

Souttar has 6 years or so on Moult. 

Time wil tell with Souttar, too early to tell. 

25 minutes ago, wavydavy said:

If that is true then it really beggars belief and makes one wonder what AB was thinking allowing CL to do this.

The money that has been wasted is really shocking.

He is on a much lower than expected wage but for a longer contractual period. Makes no real difference to total amount we pay him over length of contract. Example £4K pw for two years is roughly same as £2k pw for four years. Very similar deal to the Malaurey Martin deal, wonder what nights about french players contracts? 

52 minutes ago, Disco Ball said:

Been told an offer of a six month loan already in for Damour but it involves Hearts picking up a hefty chunk of his wages.  Our new SD is sitting on that one to see what else might come up.

So Damour is fit to play but hasn’t been named In a Hearts squad this season or most of last season. Sorry but I’m not having that. If he was fit he should have been tried in the team at least once this season 

AND. Still by far the biggest way to discredit yourself on JKB. Claim to know what a player is earning.

Edited by JimmyCant

LarrysRightFoot
38 minutes ago, Hectormasson said:

Also think they would thrive at a bigger club, and be more confident in themselves , as the pressure to perform here would be a lot more than at their current club....

I think attitude, belief and determination should be the core qualities of any signing. 

A lot of players underestimate and/or can’t handle the demands of playing for Hearts. We have fallen foul of signing several players like this in the past. More research should be done on this side IMO.

When I was younger I wasn’t keen on us signing ex OF players - however, I can see the benefit of having a few now. They understand the demands and are used to winning. 

Gordon, Halliday and Naismith can help instil that into the team and younger players. 

9 minutes ago, JimmyCant said:

So Damour is fit to play but hasn’t been named In a Hearts squad this season or most of last season. Sorry but I’m not having that. If he was fit he should have been tried in the team at least once this season 

AND. Still by far the biggest way to discredit yourself on JKB. Claim to know what a player is earning.

He was injured during pre-season and only fairly recently returned to full fitness i'm sure and quite clearly hasn't done enough in training since then to warrant getting in the team, even for one game. 

Also Discoball only said that the loan offer meant we'd still be paying a hefty chunk of Damour wages, he didn't claim to know what those wages were.

1 hour ago, casper said:

If Damour goes we'll no doubt have to pay off much of the 3 years remaining on his contract. Will cost a fortune to get him out the door.

We won't offer too much as if he sits out his contract he's career is basically over. Maybe around £50k which isn't peanuts but in the scheme of wage bills not a too significant. Whatever is offered will be nowhere near the value of his contract.

He will want to be playing and will get a bit of a payoff plus a decent contract somewhere else and maybe a chance move back to France.

Edited by Hungry hippo

Gordon Ramsay
22 minutes ago, JimmyCant said:

Can't see where Disco Ball has claimed to know what he's earning. 

Damour hasn't been in the first team cause he was injured and then when he did get himself fit he's been deemed not good enough by Robbie. Can't disagree with the boss there. 

18 minutes ago, Gordon Ramsay said:

Can't see where Disco Ball has claimed to know what he's earning. 

Damour hasn't been in the first team cause he was injured and then when he did get himself fit he's been deemed not good enough by Robbie. Can't disagree with the boss there. 

Yeah it's standard practice to 'encourage' a player to leave. All teams freeze out players that they need to leave. Rangers had about half a dozen they were doing it with.

50 minutes ago, JimmyCant said:

Sorry for sharing .... noted.  I assumed it was common knowledge  as to his earnings as others on here have mentioned it before and got it bang on. 

1 minute ago, Disco Ball said:

Sorry for sharing .... noted.  I assumed it was common knowledge  as to his earnings as others on here have mentioned it before and got it bang on. 

Actually my remark wasn’t aimed at you so apologies. However I’d argue all day with you on the subject of his wage being common knowledge on here. I’d be astonished if anyone on here knew how much it was and even more astonished if they posted it

1 hour ago, wavydavy said:

If that is true then it really beggars belief and makes one wonder what AB was thinking allowing CL to do this.

The money that has been wasted is really shocking.

I know Davy but she only knew what she was told. ...

2 minutes ago, JimmyCant said:

Actually my remark wasn’t aimed at you so apologies. However I’d argue all day with you on the subject of his wage being common knowledge on here. I’d be astonished if anyone on here knew how much it was and even more astonished if they posted it

This site is where I saw it first then asked the question and found out it was accurate  .. so I assume they work in or arounds the Club.  You would be astonished more by the amount of detail other players (or their agents) know about what fellow players are earning. 

6 minutes ago, Disco Ball said:

She was also told that she had placed too much responsibility in one place and for years as a footballing club we moved down the league with mistake after mistake.. Her trust in Craig seemed to be either negligent or due to some sort of infatuation or a lack of experience and stubbornness (probably a mix of all). It certainly wasn’t the correct way to run a football club or a business. 
The squad turnover and success rate seemed as bad as under Romanov. 

The current set up looks much improved with power and decisions shared and amongst “footballing people”. 

1 hour ago, soonbe110 said:

He is on a much lower than expected wage but for a longer contractual period. Makes no real difference to total amount we pay him over length of contract. Example £4K pw for two years is roughly same as £2k pw for four years. Very similar deal to the Malaurey Martin deal, wonder what nights about french players contracts? 

Don't know what you are getting at here/

1 minute ago, jambomjm74 said:

She was also told that she had placed too much responsibility in one place and for years as a footballing club we moved down the league with mistake after mistake.. Her trust in Craig seemed to be either negligent or due to some sort of infatuation or a lack of experience and stubbornness (probably a mix of all). It certainly wasn’t the correct way to run a football club or a business. 
The squad turnover and success rate seemed as bad as under Romanov. 

The current set up looks much improved with power and decisions shared and amongst “footballing people”. 

It is ... plus much more open debate is taking place

17 minutes ago, Disco Ball said:

I am pretty sure she would have endorsed his contract so would know.

You would think when you have been bitten once you wouldn't make the same mistake twice and then three times.

7 minutes ago, Disco Ball said:

It is ... plus much more open debate is taking 

I commend the changes and this non football year is the time to rip down and rebuild the mess that was made. We do need a good striker, someone to hold the ball up esp for the inevitable Berra howitzer. 

34 minutes ago, Clerry Jambo said:

Jackson Irvine signs deal with Hibs

Decent signing type of midfielder we are crying out for as well 

We’ve just been handed £500,000 we weren’t expecting........if we need a striker and have one lined up then we should be signing him.

A £3k a week striker would cost us around £60k-£70k up to the end of May.

3 minutes ago, kimosavi said:

Decent signing type of midfielder we are crying out for as well 

Is it just a loan? Hibs have a lot of midfielders 

Juho_Makela_Goal_Machine
41 minutes ago, Clerry Jambo said:

Jackson Irvine signs deal with Hibs

Always liked him as a player, would have been perfect for this team.

Of course now, he's shite, absolute fraud, never rated him etc.

1 minute ago, Juho_Makela_Goal_Machine said:

Agree with all of this. Also signing Aussies is so 2018

Rodger Mellie
3 minutes ago, Andyp1874 said:

Think it’s a loan until the end of the season. We should try and get him in the summer if we get promoted. Good player who would walk in to our current midfield. 

7 minutes ago, Andyp1874 said:

Short term deal until the end of the season but he's not on loan from anyone. He's been a free agent since the summer.

Edited by Batistuta87

Tom Hardy’s Dug

Signing an injured player if you do the proper due diligence on t injury isn’t an issue.

Paterson signed for Cardiff injured and going back a bit Neil McFarlane signed for us with a knee injury (I know Neil was no world beater but the point is I recall he was fairly consistently fit to play for us once he got over his injury).

LarrysRightFoot
17 minutes ago, DH1986 said:

We’ve just been handed £500,000 we weren’t expecting........if we need a striker and have one lined up then we should be signing him.

A £3k a week striker would cost us around £60k-£70k up to the end of May.

I think one of the stipulations is it’s not to be used for transfers etc - could be wrong though. 

3 minutes ago, LarrysRightFoot said:

I think one of the stipulations is it’s not to be used for transfers etc - could be wrong though. 

Totally impossible to enforce, you simply pay 500k's worth of other bills and then use money you already had put away for those bills for transfers instead.

Only way to enforce would be to invoke a transfer ban on anyone that accepted the 500k and that's not happened.

2 hours ago, soonbe110 said:

If there is any truth in this 2k a week for someone of Damour's standard sounds like a good deal . 2-3 years decent service then he moves on for an undisclosed fee .

Appreciate things didn't go quite too plan [to put it mildly!] in this case but if we were after a similar [EPL etc] level of player again why would anyone think this was a bad deal ?

7 minutes ago, LarrysRightFoot said:

Think it was intended as a "bail out" / to assist with Covid testing. But ultimately clubs can do what they want with it.

Bazzas right boot
1 hour ago, JimmyCant said:

Not to hard to get a ball park figure tho. 

4 minutes ago, Smith's right boot said:

Hearts avg. first team salary is said to be about £2400 quid a week in 2019/20. So the top end would be around £4400-4600 quid a week. I suspect that is slightly less now since we are in the Championship. 

Bazzas right boot
3 minutes ago, Cruyff said:

Hearts avg. first team salary is said to be about £2400 quid a week in 2019/20. So the top end would be around £4400-4600 quid a week. I suspect that is slightly less now since we are in the Championship. 

Yip, and maybe one or two outliers at each end. 

Not difficult to guess Damour is nearer our top end giving our average, his age and where he came from. 

No one will know for 100% but it doesn't take the brains trust to get a ball park figure. 

2 hours ago, LarrysRightFoot said:

I think attitude, belief and determination should be the core qualities of any signing. 

A lot of players underestimate and/or can’t handle the demands of playing for Hearts. We have fallen foul of signing several players like this in the past. More research should be done on this side IMO.

When I was younger I wasn’t keen on us signing ex OF players - however, I can see the benefit of having a few now. They understand the demands and are used to winning. 

Gordon, Halliday and Naismith can help instil that into the team and younger players. 

Halliday better start getting his arse into gear then. 😏 

Irvine has signed a similar deal with hibs as Kingsley has with us play see how it goes  potential to get a more financially rewarding move

Sub4TiddlerMurray
23 minutes ago, Ribble said:

Totally impossible to enforce, you simply pay 500k's worth of other bills and then use money you already had put away for those bills for transfers instead.

Only way to enforce would be to invoke a transfer ban on anyone that accepted the 500k and that's not happened.

Not true. Scottish Govt money usually always comes with stipulations due to the need for public accountability (it used to be restricted by EU law and not sure if it still applies).

Malinga the Swinga
52 minutes ago, Juho_Makela_Goal_Machine said:

If we had signed him, the usual doom mongers would have been shouting from rooftops about injury record. Hibs sign him and he would have been perfect for us. 

So predictable and so sad. 

24 minutes ago, Sub4TiddlerMurray said:

Not true. Scottish Govt money usually always comes with stipulations due to the need for public accountability (it used to be restricted by EU law and not sure if it still applies).

Could be getting confused with what SG said and what they actually did but I’m almost certain they decided to keep most, if not all, EU laws/guidelines (that they had power over)  post Brexit.  Not sure how they now make that legal though. 

Edited by GinRummy

Bazzas right boot
22 minutes ago, SuperAustin said:

Sean Clare signed on loan for Burton 

I wonder how much of the £10k plus a week they are paying.... 😂

59 minutes ago, Smith's right boot said:

I’d say it’s not too hard to have a guess at, which is a world away from pretend ing to know

39 minutes ago, SuperAustin said:

Sean Clare signed on loan for Burton 

As long as it's not back here I'm good 😏

To be fair he did pick up under Stendal but not good enough for the Jam tarts

• davemclaren changed the title to January transfer window ( Now closed )