January transfer window ( Now closed )

kingantti1874

3 hours ago, Famous 1874 said:

No time for sentiment or anything like that. We need to build a squad for next seasons Premiership.

Punt (either in January or the summer):

Zlamal, Doyle, Berra, Damour, White, Walker, Frear, Roberts, Moore, Henderson. 

Decisions to be made on: Lee & Wighton

Bring in: Ross Stewart (loan till end of the season, then sign permanently once his contract expires in the summer), Ginnelly (pre contract)

New contracts: Smith, Kingsley & Irving, make these a priority 

Then look at the transfer market. A few instant improvements are available on pre contracts: Ross Stewart (Ross County), Stewart Findlay (Kilmarnock), Liam Polwarth (Motherwell) just to name a few. 

Joe Savage will have some good ideas up his sleeve, but it will be up to Budge / whoever is negotiating to get them. Preston’s problem was that they ended up going for his 4th / 5th recommendations. 

Yep, 

Out: Zlamal, Berra, Popescu, Damour, Lee, Frear, Roberts, Moore, Walker, Henderson, Wighton

New Contracts: Smith, Kingsley, Irving and I'd keep White for another year as back up tbh as he's useful. 

In: Keep Stewart as backup keeper, sign O'Donnell, Findlay, Polworth, Ginnelly, Stewart and a few more better players. 

I think Liam Polworth has something ridiculous like 85 career assists and he's only 25/26.

I think he makes Motherwell's goal v Celtic in this game. He's a good playmaker, perfect replacement for Lee imo. 

• Replies 11.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Pasquale for King

• GinRummy

• Cruyff

• Lord Beni of Gorgie

Dagger Is Back

Ginnelly is a wait and see for me. He's played 18 games in two seasons and been missing for weeks through injury. He has something about him don't get me wrong, but too early to be clamouring to make the deal permanent from what I've seen

4 minutes ago, Dagger Is Back said:

Ginnelly is a wait and see for me. He's played 18 games in two seasons and been missing for weeks through injury. He has something about him don't get me wrong, but too early to be clamouring to make the deal permanent from what I've seen

Presumably Joe Savage will know enough about him so that the club can make a decision. 

I just want fast players. We have lots of technically good players and the likes of Irving, Naismith and Lee can play killer passes but sometimes it is all just so slow that by the time we get to the opposition box their entire side is lined up and in position to deal with any threat. Pace is what we need. 

Edited by GinRummy

Dagger Is Back
1 hour ago, davemclaren said:

Presumably Joe Savage will know enough about him so that the club can make a decision. 

Absolutely Dave. After years of haphazard signings, there a huge weight of expectation on his shoulders.

Here’s hoping he’s up to it

On 21/12/2020 at 13:25, Smith's right boot said:

Don't want to sign anyone atm really. 

We'll pish the championship and matched hibs and celtic over 120 minutes. 

All efforts should be on removing the deadwood, getting players extended on contracts, pre contracts and signings for next season. 

No more money wasted this season, we're in the championship and with covid financial restrictions. 

Robbie and the current team will see us win the league, all improvement plans should be focussed on next season. 

I agree both that the focus should be on signings for next season (and beyond), and that we're going to comfortably win the Championship with the squad we've got now, but that doesn't necessarily mean we shouldn't sign anyone in January. Bringing a player or two in next month could give them a valuable opportunity to get settled in at the club and in Edinburgh, ensuring they're fully ready for the start of preseason, and have the best chance to be bang on form right from the start of competitive action next season. 

Edit: plus it removes the danger that another club could snatch them from under our noses, if they're not free agents that we sign on pre-contracts.

Edited by FarmerTweedy

Would defo like to see Jimmy Dunne back. A young guy who obviously felt at home here and just seemed to be a natural fit. 

Not sure if he's done enough to warrant a new deal at Burnley and if they want to move him on, a permanent deal here would be great.

Would be a good partner for Halkett (or Soapy if he can ever get his career back on track).

Jimmy come home!

August Landmesser

Is Dunne even a whiff of a notion? He's been playing (occasionally) in the EPL, Scottish Championship is a bit of a sideways step at best!

Greg Stewart could be useful though, good at Killie, shite/mismanaged at the sheep. 

4 minutes ago, August Landmesser said:

Is Dunne even a whiff of a notion? He's been playing (occasionally) in the EPL, Scottish Championship is a bit of a sideways step at best!

Greg Stewart could be useful though, good at Killie, shite/mismanaged at the sheep. 

Dunne’s only played 4 games this season. 2 cup and 2 league (scored on his league debut).

I image he’ll be going out on loan but I’d be pleasantly shocked if he came back to us. In the Premiership maybe, championship no chance. 

Back to Barnsley from loan spell without playing one game. He did have Granular Fever which does take a while to get over. When 100% fully recovered he could be a very good asset.

Jimmy Dunne is pretty much the perfect signing for where we are currently, would be very pleasantly surprised to see that come off

bigsuperslim1874

He literally played about 2 and a half games for us.....and yet you could tell he would be a great acquisition. I’d love to think we could get him back - even on loan.

jambo-in-furness

He was a different class in the game against the the Rangers,  but I think the only reason he came up here was to play for Stendel.

But I agree, I’d love to get him on our books.

Maroon Sailor
38 minutes ago, mitch41 said:

Back to Barnsley from loan spell without playing one game. He did have Granular Fever which does take a while to get over. When 100% fully recovered he could be a very good asset.

Probably too much sugar on his cornflakes 

10 minutes ago, Maroon Sailor said:

Probably too much sugar on his cornflakes 

Granular fever - that’s a very detailed form of the disease 

11 minutes ago, Jim Panzee said:

Granular fever - that’s a very detailed form of the disease 

Makes you feel really rough though...   :ermm:

Is the Jimmy Dunne chat for real? Would take him back in a heartbeat, Fantastic young CB with real potential.

Would also take Stewart (big upgrade on walker)

Suppose we will have to wait and see..

5 hours ago, jambo-in-furness said:

He was a different class in the game against the the Rangers,  but I think the only reason he came up here was to play for Stendel.

But I agree, I’d love to get him on our books.

Think your mixing up Jimmy Dunne and Tony Sibbick.

Ronald Villiers

Good news if Stewart is coming in on low.  I see Gary Mackay Steven has been linked with Aberdeen after being released by NY.  We should be looking to get him in aswell.

1 hour ago, Herbert said:

Think your mixing up Jimmy Dunne and Tony Sibbick.

Would take either to be fair

2 hours ago, Ronald Villiers said:

Good news if Stewart is coming in on low.  I see Gary Mackay Steven has been linked with Aberdeen after being released by NY.  We should be looking to get him in aswell.

He was good back in the Dundee United days . How old is he now ? must be in his 30s 

Juho_Makela_Goal_Machine
17 hours ago, Leveins Battalion said:

We have hired Joe Savage to primarily help us sign better players.

Things are changing massively,the old routine of going to certain agents is gone,I expect our fortunes to change for the better now I really do.

Patience is required for now though,slow and steady team building required.

100%, there's a good atmosphere building at the club so I wouldbe keen to keep the spine of this team together for as long as possible. Continuity is key. Fingers crossed that Savage will change the culture of recruitment as oyu say.

kingantti1874
6 minutes ago, gordiegords said:

Would love sibbick and dunne, just can’t see it happening at all being in the championship.

weirdly I don’t see the championship being a huge issue. There are no supporters at any level. By the time supporters are allowed back we will be promoted.. 

that said, I don’t see us signing Sibbick or Jimmy Dunne although they both be fantastic.. 

Greg Stewart and the kid from Airdrie would be great 

Would rather we went for Jordan Jones than Greg Stewart. Stewart is undoubtedly a good player but wouldn’t solve our problem with lack of pace. He’s slower than Walker

22 hours ago, A_A wehatethehibs said:

Not ITK but I personally believe their contracts were extended out of pity due to covid and they’ll be on dirt cheap youth team wages with evidently no assurances of any game time. Under normal circumstances one or both of them might have left in the summer but due to covid, the lower league clubs basically can’t pay any wages as the limited cash they had has now run completely dry. Think a move to a Partick Falkirk or Airdrie would be a good one for Moore in particular. Hate seeing a young player who’s not going to be good enough for Hearts cling to the dream too long. He should be doing what Calumn Morrison is doing, what Jordan McGhee and Scott Robinson have done, get out there and be a key player somewhere, do the business and entertain the fans at one of these clubs. You’re a player so get out there and play. Then who knows in 3 or 4 years time you could work your way back up to the premiership through your performances. Look at Scott Robinson now. Controversial but I probably wouldn’t say no to seeing him back at Hearts as a replacement for Olly Lee next season. He’s been a consistent performer for a good Livi team. Now a seasoned Premiership midfielder but it took 6-7 years of leaving Hearts and getting the games under the belt. That’s what a player like Moore needs to do. 

Henderson I was happy to give him 1 more year, think there’s a chance he may develop to be a useful utility man / squaddie who can slot in anywhere as he’s fit as a butchers dog and strong, happy to do any job asked, but I don’t see much future for Moore at Hearts, he definitely should be looking to leave and find himself a club where he’s good enough to be a key player. That club is not going to be Hearts as we’re going to be looking for Europe class, we need Scotland U21 class, we need quality and competition for places next season will be another level up from where we are now. 

Like you I am not ITK but for what it's worth I would be surprised if either of these players progress at Hearts.

HillmanHearts

Sibbick was great in that game v Rangers but I wouldn't be bringing a player in based on one game. He's athletic there's no doubt and could cover a few defensive positions but is that what we need ? Dunne on the other hand would seem to be a perfect fit looking ahead.

Gordon Ramsay
22 hours ago, Famous 1874 said:

No time for sentiment or anything like that. We need to build a squad for next seasons Premiership.

Punt (either in January or the summer):

Zlamal, Doyle, Berra, Damour, White, Walker, Frear, Roberts, Moore, Henderson. 

Decisions to be made on: Lee & Wighton

Bring in: Ross Stewart (loan till end of the season, then sign permanently once his contract expires in the summer), Ginnelly (pre contract)

New contracts: Smith, Kingsley & Irving, make these a priority 

Then look at the transfer market. A few instant improvements are available on pre contracts: Ross Stewart (Ross County), Stewart Findlay (Kilmarnock), Liam Polwarth (Motherwell) just to name a few. 

Joe Savage will have some good ideas up his sleeve, but it will be up to Budge / whoever is negotiating to get them. Preston’s problem was that they ended up going for his 4th / 5th recommendations. 

Good post and agree with almost all. 

Lee has done fairly well this season and if he continues would keep him on. Useful shot and can cross a ball.

Wighton should be gone. Done OK this season but he's not Hearts standard and has the heart of a pea. Wouldn't bring anything to the table in the top league. We need better. 

If we are punting Berra would punt Popescu too and try bring in a decent centre back. Halkett is probably just about good enough, we all know how good Soapy is but who knows what will happen with him. 

Signed quite a few players going into this campaign and only a handful are good enough for the Championship let alone Premier League. Recruitment needs to improve but we've all known this for about 5 years. 

Glamorgan Jambo

Sibbick has played about 1 and a half games this calendar year. He's been sent home from Ostend after playing zero minutes during his loan spell.

My Christmas wish list:

Allan Campbell is an absolute must. Keep Halliday signed up.

Liam Polworth. Good player.

Gallagher, Findlay and/or Jimmy Dunne for Centre backs.

Danny McNamara or Phil O'Donnell for right back.

Kamaba and Ross Stewart. Both are are out of contract this season.

Don't sign Greg Stewart. He can't do it at big clubs.

4 minutes ago, Gorillajam said:

My Christmas wish list:

Agreed - He is Dennis Wyness Mk2

31 minutes ago, Last Laff said:

GMS would be an outstanding signing. Stewart not so much but better than Walker. 

He has about as much pace as Walker which is less than impressive. Don't really see the point especially when he has hardly kicked a ball for them most of the season. Just be more waste of money.

2 minutes ago, wavydavy said:

He has about as much pace as Walker which is less than impressive. Don't really see the point especially when he has hardly kicked a ball for them most of the season. Just be more waste of money.

He knows how to beat a man, has trickery and can cross a ball.  I think long term would be a fantastic signing. 

12 minutes ago, Last Laff said:

He knows how to beat a man, has trickery and can cross a ball.  I think long term would be a fantastic signing. 

If as suggested he is just a loan until the end of the season then he is hardly going to be anywhere near match fit and away again at the end of the season unless there is a potential to keep on permanently.

I am still not convinced that he would add anything that we don't already have. Walker is a decent player when on his game or can be bothered but he just doesn't do it often enough.

Selkirkhmfc1874
35 minutes ago, Gorillajam said:

My Christmas wish list:

Stick to football manager buddy 

• davemclaren changed the title to January transfer window ( Now closed )