January transfer window ( Now closed )

kingantti1874

21 minutes ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

Some cracking posts on here today.

From Lafferty the Hearts hero to Lee moving on ruining your Friday.

I love this place :lol:

Meanwhile in the real world Hearts will face Alloa with Robbie ignoring most comments on here.

• Replies 11.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Pasquale for King

• GinRummy

• Cruyff

• Lord Beni of Gorgie

16 minutes ago, Sir Gio said:

What like Gary Mackay Steven chose to serve a short spell in the Championship. Who would have guessed. If deal is right 

Indeed but it was the right move for GMS for personal reasons as well. I'm sure he won't be cheap but he's a top 4 player and a match winner. 

Andrew Gilbert Wauchope
1 hour ago, steve123 said:

I would imagine we have told him we will not be offering a new contract and Gillingham have offered the way out with the idea of a contract with them in the summer.

That's pretty much what it says on the Hearts website.

PortonianJambo

Unfortunately Lee lacked a bit of pace, but was both a good passer and crosser of the ball.Both Frear and Roberts can’t cross a ball to save themselves.All the best to Lee, will be remembered for that cracking goal at Easter Road, and pinpoint cross at Hampden to Wighton for semi final goal against that lot.

12 minutes ago, PortonianJambo said:

Unfortunately Lee lacked a bit of pace, but was both a good passer and crosser of the ball.Both Frear and Roberts can’t cross a ball to save themselves.All the best to Lee, will be remembered for that cracking goal at Easter Road, and pinpoint cross at Hampden to Wighton for semi final goal against that lot.

Good post.

By far not the worst of some horrendous signings the past few years but it was probably time for him to go at the end of the season.

Tom Hardy’s Dug
22 hours ago, OldGorgie said:

Kyle is a proven goal scorer. Just what we need.

actually over his career he is not that much of a proven striker / he did well for us for a season thou

4 hours ago, DC_92 said:

Lee gone. That's out of the blue.

Bold move for us to allow this unless we have a replacement coming in. I can’t think of a midfielder that has contributed or set up more this season.

I recognise his limitations but his assists/passing/crossing needs replaced. We wouldn’t have got to the FOS l without that cross...

41 minutes ago, OldGorgie said:

Meanwhile in the real world Hearts will face Alloa with Robbie ignoring most comments on here.

I dread to think which ones he does pay attention to. If he's wearing a black polo neck and leather jacket tomorrow, it was my one on the JC thread 😂

Guest ToqueJambo

This suggests we've definitely got someone coming in, hopefully a goalscorer. Neilson will be juggling a very tight budget right now. We're more than covered in CM and right midfield and Lee will be on a half decent wage. I've not been a big fan or a big non-fan of him. He chips in with assists and the odd goal but he's not dynamic enough for CM and not fast enough for wide midfield.

Edited by ToqueJambo

Lord Beni of Gorgie
53 minutes ago, Cruyff said:

Indeed but it was the right move for GMS for personal reasons as well. I'm sure he won't be cheap but he's a top 4 player and a match winner. 

As I said if deal is right its possible 

Thanks for that goal at ER and that peach of a cross in the SC semi final last year, while lee could be decent on the odd occasion, I just can't help but feel that we will be able to replace him quite easily, I hope we get Campbell, What an upgrade that would be! Anyway good luck in future Olly, Onwards and upwards for us though.

7 minutes ago, Clerry Jambo said:

Hibs sign cadden on 2.5 year deal. On paper decent signings for them cadden and Irvine,  time will tell.

Would have taken Irvine in a heartbeat, Not so sure about cadden though, I'm still wondering what his actual position is?

7 minutes ago, Clerry Jambo said:

Hibs sign cadden on 2.5 year deal. On paper decent signings for them cadden and Irvine,  time will tell.

Aye... Actually a wee bit jealous if I'm honest. Cadden was quite good for Motherwell but don't know what he's like now but Irvine is a superb signing. 

Credit where it's due. Hibs *******s 😂😂

3 minutes ago, gregzy2k7 said:

Would have taken Irvine in a heartbeat, Not so sure about cadden though, I'm still wondering what his actual position is?

Cadden was a player much vaunted at Motherwell but he’s been in America last couple of years so will wait and see how he performs on his return but certainly a player I would have been happy to have in gorgie 

Edited by Clerry Jambo

1 minute ago, gregzy2k7 said:

Been floating between right back and right wing in the US. Assuming he's intended as a right back to free up Boyle to attack more... 

11 minutes ago, Clerry Jambo said:

He's a solid player but nothing more. Will be a better option for them at RWB but if they try him as a winger probably not as good as Murphy IMO.

2 hours ago, colinmorewasgash said:

Iam sure Ann still speaks to him and Iam sure Robbie will too even if not at club.

You're trying hard to get something goimg with your few posts.

CL has gone and we have new people at the helm overeseing transfers etc.

You should go back and worry about Jack Dross!!!

Guest ToqueJambo
15 minutes ago, Batistuta87 said:

Aye... Actually a wee bit jealous if I'm honest. Cadden was quite good for Motherwell but don't know what he's like now but Irvine is a superb signing. 

Credit where it's due. Hibs *******s 😂😂

You can only judge this signing after he's played. He hasn't had a club all season and has only signed until the end of the season. I would have taken him at the start of this season in a Kingsley-stye deal, but Hibs are basically collecting midfielders again. They paid good fees for Mallan and MacGennis, and they now also have Newell, Allan, Rogic, McGinn, Hallberg and Cadden, plus Boyle, Murphy and Wright at wide midfield, while being very light in defence and up front. That's crazy Levein-style squad bloating, but then Ross did learn his craft under Levein. Always worth reminding Hibees of that.

Edited by ToqueJambo

jambogirlglasgow
3 minutes ago, ToqueJambo said:

You can only judge this signing after he's played. He hasn't had a club all season and has only signed until the end of the season. I would have taken him at the start of this season in a Kingsley-stye deal, but Hibs are basically collecting midfielders again. They paid good fees for Mallan and MacGennis, and they now also have Newell, Allan, Rogic, McGinn, Hallberg and Cadden, plus Boyle, Murphy and Wright at wide midfield, while being very light in defence and up front. That's crazy Levein-style squad bloating, but then Ross did learn his craft under Levein. Always worth reminding Hibees of that.

Rogic?? 

25 minutes ago, Hungry hippo said:

He's a solid player but nothing more. Will be a better option for them at RWB but if they try him as a winger probably not as good as Murphy IMO.

Yeah, I agree, Cadden doesn't seem to have kicked on much from his Motherwell days but nevertheless a reasonable signing for Hibs. 

They've got some good players but their defence is still their achilles heel. 

People will hate this but with Rangers ending Celtics domination, the wage cap in league 1&2  down south and a lot of decent Scottish players coming back up the road, the standard of Scottish football seems to be improving again. The competitions becoming fierce. What it means for us is, that the players we sign will have to be even better to achieve expectations. 

Guest ToqueJambo
11 minutes ago, Cruyff said:

Yeah, I agree, Cadden doesn't seem to have kicked on much from his Motherwell days but nevertheless a reasonable signing for Hibs. 

They've got some good players but their defence is still their achilles heel. 

People will hate this but with Rangers ending Celtics domination, the wage cap in league 1&2  down south and a lot of decent Scottish players coming back up the road, the standard of Scottish football seems to be improving again. The competitions becoming fierce. What it means for us is, that the players we sign will have to be even better to achieve expectations. 

On paper, Gary Mackay Steven is the signing of the window so far. However, we've been disappointed so many times recently on paper doesn't mean a lot. Neilson is building a team and constantly trying to bring the overall quality of the squad up, even if it means discarding the likes of Roberts and Frear quite quickly, rather than stockpiling players though which is encouraging. I think Hibs really desperate to cash in on Boyle and Nesbit this season but they're unlikely to get good money for either of them.

Edited by ToqueJambo

HillmanHearts

Aye, would have fancied getting Cadden at Hearts a while back. Seemed energetic and spirited. Don't know if he will still have the edge. Have to say they do have a lot of players who look decent on paper. But as we know it's all about squad balance. Time will tell but as said they look bloated in areas and short in others.

From a Hearts perspective ; would I have preferred Smith to sign an extension or get Cadden in ? Fecken Smith all the way ! 

Guest ToqueJambo
2 minutes ago, HillmanHearts said:

Aye, would have fancied getting Cadden at Hearts a while back. Seemed energetic and spirited. Don't know if he will still have the edge. Have to say they do have a lot of players who look decent on paper. But as we know it's all about squad balance. Time will tell but as said they look bloated in areas and short in others.

From a Hearts perspective ; would I have preferred Smith to sign an extension or get Cadden in ? Fecken Smith all the way ! 

Levein bid 300 grand for him I think. Might have dodged a bullet there.

13 minutes ago, ToqueJambo said:

On paper, Gary Mackay Steven is the signing of the window so far. However, we've been disappointed so many times recently on paper doesn't mean a lot. Neilson is building a team and constantly trying to bring the overall quality of the squad up, even if it means discarding the likes of Roberts and Frear quite quickly, rather than stockpiling players though which is encouraging. I think Hibs really desperate to cash in on Boyle and Nesbit this season but they're unlikely to get good money for either of them.

I'd agree GMS is one of the most skillful players ever to play for us. As you say whether he's still got it is another story but I suspect he will be class for us. 

Dusk_Till_Dawn

Lee was pish. It’s symptomatic of how under whelming we are that we’ve tried to find positives in his listless style 

Just now, Barack said:

Apparently Halkett's welcomed him to the team already. Sure someone on here mentioned it.

Not heard about it. Hopefully nothing too serious. 

2 hours ago, PortonianJambo said:

Christ almighty he’s a professional football player & should  be able to cross a ball ffs. 
Just wish someone had trained him on how to run for 90 mins

2 minutes ago, Barack said:

Probably nothing. Plastic surgery, or something light.

That doesn't sound too good. Broken beak by the sounds of it. 

3 minutes ago, sac said:

Christ almighty he’s a professional football player & should  be able to cross a ball ffs. 

Some folk cannae run. He'll do fine in England at league 1 level where you get umpteen touches of the ball before you get closed down. 

20 minutes ago, Cruyff said:

I'd agree GMS is one of the most skillful players ever to play for us. As you say whether he's still got it is another story but I suspect he will be class for us. 

5 star skiller in fifa 14 IIRC B)

2 hours ago, PortonianJambo said:

Frear and Roberts both put decent balls in , in the last game they were slated on here and found heads. Problem was they were not getting involved enough , tracking back and Roberts looks lethargic. 

PortonianJambo
14 minutes ago, sac said:

As I said, he lacked pace.What’s your opinion on our wingers, yes wingers,Frear and Roberts regarding the standard of their crosses?

PortonianJambo
5 minutes ago, sadj said:

Frear and Roberts both put decent balls in , in the last game they were slated on here and found heads. Problem was they were not getting involved enough , tracking back and Roberts looks lethargic. 

Disagree.Their crosses either hit the first defender, or are away over the back and nowhere near any forward

Just now, PortonianJambo said:

As I said, he lacked pace.What’s your opinion on our wingers, yes wingers,Frear and Roberts regarding the standard of their crosses?

My opinion on those two are the same as everyone else’s, they should never have been signed

PortonianJambo
Just now, sac said:

My opinion on those two are the same as everyone else’s, they should never have been signed

Agree with you there

Disagree.Their crosses either hit the first defender, or are away over the back and nowhere near any forward

Thats up to you , we will need to agree to disagree , you obv have a bee in yer bonnet about them as youve made 6 posts since you joined and four mention them both by name. 👍🏻

PortonianJambo
1 minute ago, sadj said:

Thats up to you , we will need to agree to disagree , you obv have a bee in yer bonnet about them as youve made 6 posts since you joined and four mention them both by name. 👍🏻

Well spotted.Because I think they are nowhere near what Hearts should be looking for in wingers.

24 minutes ago, Dusk_Till_Dawn said:

Lee was pish. It’s symptomatic of how under whelming we are that we’ve tried to find positives in his listless style 

spot on there, over the last few seasons some average players have been spouted as good, and I maintain it’s because our squad has been dross . Lee has been a major disappointment, he should have went in the summer, but we could not offload ( says it all)

Well spotted.Because I think they are nowhere near what Hearts should be looking for in wingers.

That is a very different thing though. Imo from having watched pretty much every game this season. Neither has put themselves about well , neither has helped defensively in terms of tactics and shape. Neither has done enough with the ball but both have been able to put some decent balls in.

jamboinglasgow

Lee is a funny one, I have watched in this season and he blows hot and cold. But then I see he has most assists in the league for us. I agree with others that he is too slow, the ball does not move quickly enough when he has it. But then there are times he can make a real difference to the game like the semi. I do think Robbie must have another attacking midfielder in mind as there is not really any other in the Lee mold of midfielder at the club. Naismith is more a striker who has dropped deeper. Lee when he worked well was a central midfielder who could push behind the striker. 

I was expecting and wanting Lee to go at the end of the season, this was a surprise but will be interested to see what Robbie decides to do instead.

PortonianJambo
Just now, sadj said:

That is a very different thing though. Imo from having watched pretty much every game this season. Neither has put themselves about well , neither has helped defensively in terms of tactics and shape. Neither has done enough with the ball but both have been able to put some decent balls in.

Ditto re: watching games.But we’ll just have to agree to disagree on this one.

1 minute ago, fila said:

spot on there, over the last few seasons some average players have been spouted as good, and I maintain it’s because our squad has been dross . Lee has been a major disappointment, he should have went in the summer, but we could not offload ( says it all)

Ahhh , but Lee was kept because Robbie could see how to utilise him properly and his value to the first xi , he only left because Levein and him fell out and he was the best passer of a ball and vital to our midfield...Well if you listen to some on here 😉 

LarrysRightFoot

I always liked Cadden, always gave 100%, not scared to put the foot in, quick without being lightening. Lacked a little finesse, maybe one dimensional  but a good player IMO. Not seen him for a couple of years though. 

As for Irvine, it’s a low risk signing until the end of the season. If he can get fit and back to his best he’s a good signing, if not he moves on. 

Surely they need to trim their squad now though. Can’t plead poverty and have squad of 40.

As for us, there’s plenty of good signings out there to be had - Findlay, Gallagher, McCann, Campbell, Kiltie...

We won’t get them all but hopefully we at least try and get a few of them. 

PortonianJambo
Just now, Wilson said:

Some geezer on Twitter saying Damour is going back to Cardiff. 

Just now, Wilson said:

Some geezer on Twitter saying Damour is going back to Cardiff. 

Fingers crossed.

• davemclaren changed the title to January transfer window ( Now closed )