• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Pasquale for King

• GinRummy

• Cruyff

• Lord Beni of Gorgie

1 hour ago, Smith's right boot said:

Haring and Irving in the middle have a lot to prove imo too be a top 3 midfield. 

Haliday and Lee have been better than Haring this season and Irving hasn't established himself in our midfield, one that is playing in the championship. 

All to prove. 

If we are to play 2 sitting then it has to be Irving and Halliday for me. Lee is better further forward and is pretty much useless sitting. Haring looks well short of fitness and sharpness so am no sure he starts until he gets fit. Irving is young so gets a bit of a bye with fans cause he’s good but nowhere near the level fans think he is. He does have the potential to be class tho. I hope he can establish himself and really kick on. 

Bazzas right boot
6 hours ago, busby1985 said:

If we are to play 2 sitting then it has to be Irving and Halliday for me. Lee is better further forward and is pretty much useless sitting. Haring looks well short of fitness and sharpness so am no sure he starts until he gets fit. Irving is young so gets a bit of a bye with fans cause he’s good but nowhere near the level fans think he is. He does have the potential to be class tho. I hope he can establish himself and really kick on. 

Agreed and in that setup, Lee is away imo. 

Phil D. Corners
7 hours ago, Smith's right boot said:

Haring and Irving in the middle have a lot to prove imo too be a top 3 midfield. 

Haliday and Lee have been better than Haring this season and Irving hasn't established himself in our midfield, one that is playing in the championship. 

All to prove. 

We are better team with Irving playing! 

Go look at our results this season when he’s playing. 

The more he plays the better he will get.

Ainsley Harriott
13 hours ago, Robbo-Jambo said:

Never rated him before he arrived and certainly don't now. 

Tbh he doesn't look that interested in playing for us and his performance at Dens was pathetic. 

He wasn't the only one tbf but if you look at his performance in the cup final his only intent was too whack Brown and either get sent off or booked to appease the blue nose brigade. 

His body language on the field is like night and day when comparing it to his Rangers days. 

Hes far more focused on Open Goal or whatever shitty Sevco article hes writing for a red top the following week.

Bazzas right boot
1 minute ago, Phil D. Corners said:

We are better team with Irving playing! 

Go look at our results this season when he’s playing. 

The more he plays the better he will get.

Yeah, I like him but he's a bit away from guaranting us 3rd place in the top flight as the original poster declared. 

Has a lot to prove to be at that level consistently. 

8 hours ago, gregzy2k7 said:

Would anyone take Josh magennis? Still only 30, Out of contact in the summer at hull, Knows the scottish league, Is the type of striker that is different to what we have and would know boyce and smith from N.I international squad? Wonder if he could be a possibility?

Chuks Aneke could be another possibility as Neilson would know him from his time at MK Dons.

Would still rather have Moult than either of them, Providing he can get back to full fitness again.

Don't think I'd go for Magennis after the whole racism thing (which turned out to be a load of shite). I like the look of Aneke. We've missed the Uche we had before his injury so if this lad could come and do the same job he'd be great. Looks like an absolute unit. Moult is one of these where you'd need to wait and see. Signing him now would be pointless unless it was on a pay as you play basis because he's a massive long term injury risk. Again I would probably steer clear and look elsewhere. 

Edited by Batistuta87

8 hours ago, Smith's right boot said:

All to prove. 

Irving dies still have a lot to prove but he has established himself in our midfield. He’ll have played more than any other central midfielder I’d think. 

4 minutes ago, GinRummy said:

Irving dies still have a lot to prove but he has established himself in our midfield. He’ll have played more than any other central midfielder I’d think. 

Halliday has started 8 league (+2 sub)games. Lee 9(1). Irving 5(3).

Not sure about cups however off the top of my head.

Just now, Ccjambo1874 said:

Surprised at that. I thought he had played about every game, if not on at the start then off the bench. Knew Halliday had played a lot but a couple of games at left back and Lee has featured outwith central midfield in a wider attacking role a few times. 

Bazzas right boot
37 minutes ago, GinRummy said:

Nah, probably the least outwith Haring. 

Not sure Robbie rates him as high or maybe can't find a place yet for him in this side due to balance of the team. 

Bazzas right boot
33 minutes ago, Ccjambo1874 said:

31 minutes ago, GinRummy said:

Surprised at that. I thought he had played about every game, if not on at the start then off the bench. Knew Halliday had played a lot but a couple of games at left back and Lee has featured outwith central midfield in a wider attacking role a few times. 

Just now, Smith's right boot said:

Not sure Robbie rates him as high or maybe can't find a place yet for him in this side due to balance of the team. 

Doh, should read ahead. 

Bazzas right boot
1 hour ago, Ainsley Harriott said:

Hes far more focused on Open Goal or whatever shitty Sevco article hes writing for a red top the following week.

Disagree, I think he's been our most consistent. Not great but consistent midfielder. 

Lee goes missing too often, despite the odd shot or really good pass now and then. 

Irving, as above. Has large spells when he's missing.

Haring, been very poor Tbh all round, fouls, simple passes astray, losing possession. 

Halliday, even when having a poor game is effective, as in he still tackles and shows himself. You'll always know he's playing where as imo Irving and Lee can go missing and become completely ineffective for spells. He does not have the passing or vision of Lee and Irving but over 90 minutes far more effective and consistent than those 2. 

Edited by Smith's right boot

Ainsley Harriott
3 minutes ago, Smith's right boot said:

Disagree, I think he's been our most consistent. Not great but consistent midfielder. 

Lee goes missing too often, despite the odd shot or really good pass now and then. 

Haring, been very poor Tbh all round, fouls, simple passes astray, losing possession. 

Halliday, even when having a poor game is effective, as in he still tackles and shows himself. You'll always know he's playing where as imo Irving and Lee can go missing and become completely ineffective for spells. He does not have the passing or vision of Lee and Irving but over 90 minutes far more effective and consistent than those 2. 

Seems to be one that divides opinion. I think for a midfielder his passing is piss poor, gives away needless free kicks and rarely imposes himself on a game 

13 minutes ago, Smith's right boot said:

Got to disagree there. Aside from his two very well taken goals. I’m struggling to remember anything he’s done of any significance whatsoever in his 10 games so far. Been a disappointment for me.

We need much better in central midfield to be a top 3 team. Lee and Halliday aren't good enough and we don't know whether Haring will ever get back to his pre-injury form.

As for Irving, he's talented, but he still has flaws in his game that could stop him reaching that level. His lack of pace/tackling ability makes him a bit of a liability in midfield at times, which is why he's found himself in and out of the team. He's good at the long/defence-splitting passes, but I'd also want my midfield playmaker to be better at taking the ball in tight areas and making more intricate passes.

Opinions differ greatly but for me we are poor whenever Haliday and Lee are in midfield. Haliday has been decent at left back but I really don't see what he offers in the centre of the park. 

Haring is struggling and if I was to play him anywhere it would be as a part of a back 3. Its going to take a while for him to get back up to speed and I'm hopeful he does.

I think Irving is our best prospect in midfield by far. He is not without fault but our midfield is much improved with him in it than not. He offers so much more drive and energy than the other 3 which overall tends to improves our team performance.

We do however still need a real driving force in midfield. Hopefully Savage can find us someone who can provide that. Easier said than done.

21 minutes ago, DS98 said:

Got to disagree there. Aside from his two very well taken goals. I’m struggling to remember anything he’s done of any significance whatsoever in his 10 games so far. Been a disappointment for me.

Thought he was great in the hibs and Celtic (second half) games.

I agree he should be doing more to impose himself week in week out. Seems to have only got himself properly up for the bigger games.

However I’m not sure why he’s being singled out. All our midfield have been inconsistent, including Irving. 

Ainsley Harriott
5 minutes ago, jonnothejambo said:

Is this a transfer thread or a discussion on our midfield ? 

Aye but theres not been a single transfer related post since GMS signed almost a week ago.

Here’s a wee snippet I heard last night from a United supporter who works for the Courier - apparently ourselves, Dundee and St Johnstone have spoken to Nicky Clark about a pre contract. Clark is out of contract in the summer. United still want him there though.

14 minutes ago, jonnothejambo said:

Is this a transfer thread or a discussion on our midfield ? 

I've started a seperate MF topic so the discussion could go on in a quiet little corner if they so wish.

Салатные палочки
5 minutes ago, Deevers said:

Here’s a wee snippet I heard last night from a United supporter who works for the Courier - apparently ourselves, Dundee and St Johnstone have spoken to Nicky Clark about a pre contract. Clark is out of contract in the summer. United still want him there though.

I read he's agreed an extension with United.  I know that means nothing really but if we want him we would then need to fork out for him and I don't think he is worth it.  

Just now, Salad Fingers said:

I read he's agreed an extension with United.  I know that means nothing really but if we want him we would then need to fork out for him and I don't think he is worth it.  

For a midfielder he’s not got a bad goals to appearance ratio.  From what I was told a deal is on the table for him at United though nothing has been signed yet. Don’t know if the recent wage cuts there might make him look elsewhere though.

9 minutes ago, Deevers said:

For a midfielder he’s not got a bad goals to appearance ratio.  From what I was told a deal is on the table for him at United though nothing has been signed yet. Don’t know if the recent wage cuts there might make him look elsewhere though.

Midfielder? He's a striker

Agree on all points here mate 👍

Halliday is quiet but effective. He's an old fashioned Scottish centre mid who gets fired in and gets in people's faces. Just because he's not bombing it forward and scoring crackers from 30yds out, doesn't mean he's not having an effect on the game. Like you say, you know he's playing. Halliday and Irving are my current pick, but I've said for ages that Irving isn't quite there.

Would love for us to bring in an Italian/Spanish/Portuguese guy - the type player with a bit of flair and a bit of European arrogance and swagger. Look to the continent and make the guy a top earner. And I still want Tshibola and MacLennan as well lol. And maybe Appere. Let Lee, Walker and Damour go on their way.

No asking for much 🤣

Edited by Batistuta87

2 minutes ago, bazman said:

Midfielder? He's a striker

United have apparently been using him as a midfielder  - box to box type.

We are going nowhere (tbf where we have been for some years now) by adding players of the standard of Sandy Clark's son!!

Honestly quite bizarre, look at his career overall and not a slight purple patch at Dundee Hibs....not good enough...

I'm positive Savage and Robbie together will get our recruitment settled and more in keeping with us prior to Levein making an almighty mess of everything...

Would love us to announce a few exciting signings in on a pre-contract.  Priorities: centre back, centre mid, left back (if Kingsley is away and no youngster looks ready), physical centre forward, winger (possibly Gino).  Sure Savage + Robbie will be on it! 

Tbh, surprised we got someone as exciting as GMS in this window - thought it'd be really dull.  My wish list for the rest of the window:

Say farewell to D' amour, Zlamal, Frear, Henderson, Moore.  (last two not because I don't like them but they aren't getting enough of a chance at the moment and should be playing).

Bring in:

A target man - don't have to be great, just a Zeefuik type who is up for the rough and tumble, and will keep it simple and stick it in the back of the net.  Some good suggestions in the thread already.  Haven't seen Magennis in year but would take him in an instant.

Don't think we need anyone else unless we get a few out the door.  Think giving Walker and Wighton the rest of the season to show what they've got is better than bringing new bodies in.

I think we should stick with Irving. He's young and consistency will come with game time. I think, being in the championship, we should be persevering and hopefully he'll be ready for the prem next season. 

18 minutes ago, GavK1012 said:

We are going nowhere (tbf where we have been for some years now) by adding players of the standard of Sandy Clark's son!!

Honestly quite bizarre, look at his career overall and not a slight purple patch at Dundee Hibs....not good enough...

I'm positive Savage and Robbie together will get our recruitment settled and more in keeping with us prior to Levein making an almighty mess of everything...

I doubt of we will sign Clark but we have nothing I know of coming through the youth set up or on the fringes of the squad, as far as strikers are concerned. An uninspiring stop gap signing looks fairly likely 🙁

Bazzas right boot
36 minutes ago, Batistuta87 said:

Agree on all points here mate 👍

Halliday is quiet but effective. He's an old fashioned Scottish centre mid who gets fired in and gets in people's faces. Just because he's not bombing it forward and scoring crackers from 30yds out, doesn't mean he's not having an effect on the game. Like you say, you know he's playing. Halliday and Irving are my current pick, but I've said for ages that Irving isn't quite there.

Would love for us to bring in an Italian/Spanish/Portuguese guy - the type player with a bit of flair and a bit of European arrogance and swagger. Look to the continent and make the guy a top earner. And I still want Tshibola and MacLennan as well lol. And maybe Appere. Let Lee, Walker and Damour go on their way.

No asking for much 🤣

Agree on everything. 

I'd go for that and Tbh I think on promotion we will see changes like that. 

Bazzas right boot
12 minutes ago, Rogue Daddy said:

I think we should stick with Irving. He's young and consistency will come with game time. I think, being in the championship, we should be persevering and hopefully he'll be ready for the prem next season. 

No problem with Irving staying, we'll need at least 4 decent centre mids. He can be 1 of them. 

If he wants to stay, that is. 

He's along way from be a automatic first pick tho even just now for us, and even further away from being a auto pick if we want to be the third best team in the country, to whom my  original reply was to. 

We can't be waiting 3/4 years for a player to come good, we need good, consistent and although many will disagree more importantly effective players. 

Someone posted their possible team for next season which had Haring and Irving in midfield. 

Do you think that pairing has enough for the top div?   

I'm still to be convinced. 

7 minutes ago, Smith's right boot said:

Agree on everything. 

I'd go for that and Tbh I think on promotion we will see changes like that. 

Hope so. Will be a difficult one for us when it comes to pre-contracts. On one hand we'll want to get deals done to make sure we're not missing out, but on the other hand we don't know for 100% sure that we're going to be back in the Premiership next season in order to finance these contracts. 

2 minutes ago, Auldbenches said:

Someone posted their possible team for next season which had Haring and Irving in midfield. 

It depends on what Haring starts turning up. He's a great spoiler and a baller but I have no idea who the guy playing recently is.

3 minutes ago, Smith's right boot said:

No problem with Irving staying, we'll need at least 4 decent centre mids. He can be 1 of them. 

If he wants to stay, that is. 

He's along way from be a automatic first pick tho even just now for us, and even further away from being a auto pick if we want to be the third best team in the country, to whom my  original reply was to. 

We can't be waiting 3/4 years for a player to come good, we need good, consistent and although many will disagree more importantly effective players. 

TBH I don't think we have any automatic first picks at the moment (midfield-wise)... I just think (hope) if he gets game time in the championship, with any luck, he'll be ready for a regular 1st team pick in the prem.

I get what you say about Halliday, I think he's a player also. i think he gives the impression of being a bit inconsistent because RN changes his role nearly every week, but he could turn out an important player for us.

Bazzas right boot
Just now, Auldbenches said:

For what it's worth, no. 

That was the post I replied to and he had us finishing 3rd, no problem I think as well! 

However, we'll need probably 4 senior centre mids and if we get the wide options right then it suits guys like Irving well as we'll have options to pass to. 

It's a team game, Robbie is looking at the whole balance of the team. 

But for me I think 

Lee wil go. 

Halliday will be the staple. 

Irving I'd keep, but looking Likley he'll leave. 

Big Pete has this season to get fit although  I think he suits the bigger games better, he needs to improve on what he's done so far, quite frankly been rotten so far. Early days tho. 

So we'll Likley need 2, if not 3 cm for next season. 

I'm assuming Damour away as well. 

Just now, Rick Sanchez said:

It depends on what Haring starts turning up. He's a great spoiler and a baller but I have no idea who the guy playing recently is.

1 minute ago, Smith's right boot said:

For what it's worth, no. 

That was the post I replied to and he had us finishing 3rd, no problem I think as well! 

However, we'll need probably 4 senior centre mids and if we get the wide options right then it suits guys like Irving well as we'll have options to pass to. 

It's a team game, Robbie is looking at the whole balance of the team. 

But for me I think 

Lee wil go. 

Halliday will be the staple. 

Irving I'd keep, but looking Likley he'll leave. 

Big Pete has this season to get fit although  I think he suits the bigger games better, he needs to improve on what he's done so far, quite frankly been rotten so far. Early days tho. 

So we'll Likley need 2, if not 3 cm for next season. 

I'm assuming Damour away as well. 

I agree with you on Halliday.  Maybe not stood out as much as we expected but still been consistent enough in most games.   Currently it looks we would get more consistency from him than any of the other two.  

Don't mind Halliday 

Bazzas right boot
10 minutes ago, Batistuta87 said:

Hope so. Will be a difficult one for us when it comes to pre-contracts. On one hand we'll want to get deals done to make sure we're not missing out, but on the other hand we don't know for 100% sure that we're going to be back in the Premiership next season in order to finance these contracts. 

Yeah, rock and hard place. 

The Premiership is key, but more key is fans in the grounds. Huge income loss for not only us, but every club. 

At this moment, fans back in August is in the balance. 

5 minutes ago, Auldbenches said:

I agree with you on Halliday.  Maybe not stood out as much as we expected but still been consistent enough in most games.   Currently it looks we would get more consistency from him than any of the other two.  

Don't mind Halliday 

I think some posters are a bit unfair on Halliday. He’s fairly similar in style to the midfielders we already have and that’s a bit of an issue for me. Halliday himself is an asset but isn’t ‘the answer’ folk were looking for.  

1 hour ago, Deevers said:

Competing with Scumdee and the Perth farmers!!! Mmmmm

1 hour ago, DS98 said:

Assist in final too. 

I think he's done ok tbf, just what we expected - useful against Hibs and Celtic, games where we need to roll up the sleeves, not as much use in games where craft is required (games where I'd rather Irving was starting instead) 

Phil D. Corners
2 hours ago, Smith's right boot said:

Irving goes missing? 

He’s always looking for the ball? 

15 minutes ago, Smith's right boot said:

Yeah, rock and hard place. 

The Premiership is key, but more key is fans in the grounds. Huge income loss for not only us, but every club. 

At this moment, fans back in August is in the balance. 

Well if the government's immunisation programme goes as planned, we should all have been jabbed by then and it should therefore be able to return... You'd think... 

3 hours ago, GinRummy said:

He is the best passer of the ball in our midfield by a country mile. 

kingantti1874
4 minutes ago, Rick Sanchez said:

clear that the injury has impacted his mobility enormously.. still

flashes of real quality like the pass for the opener against Arbroath..

hopefully he can get back to something close to previous  form

2 minutes ago, Robbo-Jambo said:

He is the best passer of the ball in our midfield by a country mile. 

His passing is absolutely superb. Not just the pass itself but the fact he can see the best pass  in an attacking sense, most of the time. 

5 minutes ago, GinRummy said:

I think some posters are a bit unfair on Halliday. He’s fairly similar in style to the midfielders we already have and that’s a bit of an issue for me. Halliday himself is an asset but isn’t ‘the answer’ folk were looking for.  

I was quite happy to have Halliday sign up. He gives us the option of defensive midfield or temporary left back if need be. Can hit a ball too as his goals have shown. 

We have had far too many defensive midfielders at the club for too long now. It seems once one goes, another comes in and we repeat the cycle. Bauben, Gomis, Pallardo, Djoum, Adao, Cowie, Kitchen, Tzolis, Grzelak, Nowak, Haring, Halliday, Damour and there's others i've probably forgotten. We have a few to choose from so no need for anymore at the moment. It's attacking midfielders we've been short of, probably since Hartley in fact so leave the DM side for now and find an AM instead. 

• davemclaren changed the title to January transfer window ( Now closed )