January transfer window ( Now closed )

kingantti1874

3 minutes ago, Cruyff said:

Incase the Championship is called or mothballed because clubs can't afford testing or other measures.🤷

I see. That is a risk snd hopefully it’s factored into any signing decisions made. 

• Replies 11.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Pasquale for King

• GinRummy

• Cruyff

• Lord Beni of Gorgie

7 minutes ago, Cruyff said:

Incase the Championship is called or mothballed because clubs can't afford testing or other measures.🤷

JRG meeting today to decide next steps. Hate to say it but you could be right. Hope not. 

Pasquale for King
40 minutes ago, DS98 said:

Apologies I’ve not gone back over the last few pages. However I can’t help but ask if you are being serious when you say Jamie MacDonald wasn’t fit to wear the jersey but you’d be happy to see Ross Callachan back?

Macdonald certainly wasn’t one our better goalkeepers, after he left he went to smaller clubs.
Callachan has progressed under Rice and has as many goals as Edouard this season, he is also different to what we have just now as is Scott Robinson. 

3 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

Macdonald certainly wasn’t one our better goalkeepers, after he left he went to smaller clubs.
Callachan has progressed under Rice and has as many goals as Edouard this season, he is also different to what we have just now as is Scott Robinson. 

So Callachan was one of John Murray's better spots but Levein and Co failed to develop his talents.

12 minutes ago, Goodfella said:

JRG meeting today to decide next steps. Hate to say it but you could be right. Hope not. 

I'd be surprised. The government are happy for professional sport to continue, and until there's an increase in covid  positive cases, then there's no case to answer. By and large, the protocols in place across the leagues, and sport in general, are obviously working...the odd isolated case or 2 pops up...St Mirren and Killie I think had the worst outbreaks, which were still contained, so I don't think the numbers are significant enough to warrant a complete shutdown.

Also, it was the league bosses who chose to shutdown last time....I think they'll do everything possible to keep things moving this time. Otherwise clubs WILL fold. If they shut it down, they'd better have damn good reasons for it, because even the government don't see the need at present.

19 minutes ago, Goodfella said:

Coronavirus restrictions: Professional Scottish sport unaffected by new Covid-19 rules https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/scotland/55534868

I would expect a token gesture from the jrg. Maybe a ban on directors attending or whatever. 

kingantti1874
31 minutes ago, jr ewing said:

Overall wage maybe but we're talking about individuals wages here. 

I don’t see anyone in Scotland (outside the old firm) who could match his current wage, never mind exceed it 

Just now, kingantti1874 said:

I don’t see anyone in Scotland (outside the old firm) who could match his current wage, never mind exceed it 

And his current wage is?

kingantti1874
1 minute ago, jr ewing said:

And his current wage is?

I was told by an ex player he had been offered  6k per week basic  “before” he signed for hearts .. I don’t know what the final number was or whether it has been negotiated since expulsion / Covid 

44 minutes ago, cb1874 said:

I'd be surprised. The government are happy for professional sport to continue, and until there's an increase in covid  positive cases, then there's no case to answer. By and large, the protocols in place across the leagues, and sport in general, are obviously working...the odd isolated case or 2 pops up...St Mirren and Killie I think had the worst outbreaks, which were still contained, so I don't think the numbers are significant enough to warrant a complete shutdown.

Also, it was the league bosses who chose to shutdown last time....I think they'll do everything possible to keep things moving this time. Otherwise clubs WILL fold. If they shut it down, they'd better have damn good reasons for it, because even the government don't see the need at present.

TV money melts like snow if they end it early. 

2 hours ago, ramrod said:

Utter pish

Whatever, do you really think untested part time players are going to be left to travel around the country in lockdown. It’s only a matter of time until it’s the top league only

kingantti1874
15 minutes ago, jambmoz said:

Whatever, do you really think untested part time players are going to be left to travel around the country in lockdown. It’s only a matter of time until it’s the top league only

Why would teams vote for that if not a government instruction? 

16 minutes ago, jambmoz said:

If that was the case it would have been announced today,not going to happen, Unlucky all the Vermin interlopers looking in .

3 hours ago, Pasquale for King said:

I never said he was a dud, I ajwsys thought there was a player there. I would imagine as a pretty good midfielder himself that Brian Rice would be giving him the coaching he requires. He always made good runs but maybe at the wrong time. He’s doing well there and has qualities none of ours do, 100% effort, pace and box to box. 
Being a Jambo too also helps. 
We probably need to recruit better than that but I wouldn’t be disappointed to see him return. 
I would say the same about Scott Robinson too 😱

No the general tone on here was that he was a dud . As I say I thought he was decent . What I've seen of him recently he is playing exact same way for Hamilton as he did for us . We certainly need that style of player

Think he was allowed to go as he wouldn't necessarily get games  ? Haven't a clue who was being picked ahead of him

Had high hopes for Robinson . Possibly unfair but he never looked as though he was in the best condition .

Think one thing this shows is the difference in a player being pretty good to being excellent [if you know what I mean] is tiny .

3 hours ago, Pasquale for King said:

I get what you mean now. Some players are just late developers. Just look at Paul Hartley. So I guess if you’re going on his form now that’s fair. 

On their time at Hearts, Jamma was solid if unspectacular 7/10. Callachan was a failed experiment 4/10. Think even he would admit that. 

I would definitely give Robinson another chance. He’s an absolute pest that doesn’t give the opposition a second. His goal against Hibs was pure determination. No chance any of our players would’ve even chased that ball, let alone scored.

Edited by DS98

2 minutes ago, DS98 said:

I get what you mean now. Some players are just late developers. Just look at Paul Hartley. So I guess if you’re going on his form now that’s fair. 

On their time at Hearts, Jamma was solid if unspectacular 7/10. Callachan was a failed experiment 4/10. Think even he would admit that. 

Still, people seem to have some inflated opinion of what standard a Hearts player should be or was. If you go back 45 years of my experience, MacDonald was good enough for Hearts, no ****ing question. The lack of respect for a cup winner who played a huge role in our success I just don't get. Flippant.

Pasquale for King
14 minutes ago, DS98 said:

I would definitely give Robinson another chance. He’s an absolute pest that doesn’t give the opposition a second. His goal against Hibs was pure determination. No chance any of our players would’ve even chased that ball, let alone scored.

Definitely. Still don’t think Macdonald was at the standard of past or present GKs. 

Edited by Pasquale for King

4 minutes ago, TypoonJambo said:

I was having a go at my lack of any inside knowledge and needing to revert to making unsubstantiated stuff up in an attempt to seem knowledgeable, in reality a dig at some of the charlatans on here. Though none in particular. 

As for the transplant,I don't have Rooneys budget do I'll take a chance on the Internet remedies. Currently waiting delivery of a rub on tiger penis based balm from China. Mr Woo swears by it.

I heard Mrs Woo is quite partial as well :ninja:

Pasquale for King
3 hours ago, JamboAl said:

So Callachan was one of John Murray's better spots but Levein and Co failed to develop his talents.

Who knows who spotted him. 

8 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

Could we not say that about all/most signings but if he gets the blame for bad ones should you not be giving him the credit for spotting. such an untapped talent as Callahan

28 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

It was gary Locke who recommended levein take a look . Said he was better than the level he was playing that . 

TyphoonJambo
34 minutes ago, merrymac said:

I heard Mrs Woo is quite partial as well :ninja:

You mean his wife Wanda? Doubt she knows more than us🤣

Pasquale for King
1 hour ago, JamboAl said:

Could we not say that about all/most signings but if he gets the blame for bad ones should you not be giving him the credit for spotting. such an untapped talent as Callahan

Chef Jambo reckons it was Locke, good spot from him. 

29 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

Chef Jambo reckons it was Locke, good spot from him. 

It was good then of Levein to accept that recommendation but his coaches failed him?

48 minutes ago, HMFC01 said:

St Mirren 🤣. No mention of Hearts then. 

Daily Record just confirmed it. Said St.Mirren beat Dons, Hibs, Hearts and St.Johnstone, who all made offers. Apparently the offer from St.Mirren was so good he didn't bother waiting on supposed interest from England. No idea where they've got the cash from.

Pasquale for King
1 hour ago, chefjambo said:

It was gary Locke who recommended levein take a look . Said he was better than the level he was playing that . 

He was right 👍🏽

Pasquale for King
11 minutes ago, kimosavi said:

Imagine Hearts, and Aberdeen come In for you and you choose St Mirren 

🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

I suppose it’s good we were in for him, strange that these ***** have the cash to outbid the rest of the teams but shows a spectacular lack of ambition and love of money on his part. 

Brophy's stock is high because he had a good season in a well-drilled team under a very good manager. Take away 2018/19 and no-one would bat an eyelid at him signing for St Mirren. Even scratching the surface in his stats, 6 of his 11 goals that season were penalties.

I feel like he's the sort of player that signs for Hearts/Hibs/Aberdeen and doesn't live up to expectations. Semi-recent examples for us include Sutton, Hamill, Taouil and Halkett.

I'd say he and Ross Stewart both fall into the category of "worth a punt if the terms are right, but definitely not worth pushing the boat out for". Seems as though Aberdeen and Hibs agree.

3 minutes ago, DC_92 said:

Brophy's stock is high because he had a good season in a well-drilled team under a very good manager. Take away 2018/19 and no-one would bat an eyelid at him signing for St Mirren. Even scratching the surface in his stats, 6 of his 11 goals that season were penalties.

I feel like he's the sort of player that signs for Hearts/Hibs/Aberdeen and doesn't live up to expectations. Semi-recent examples for us include Sutton, Hamill, Taouil and Halkett.

I'd say he and Ross Stewart both fall into the category of "worth a punt if the terms are right, but definitely not worth pushing the boat out for". Seems as though Aberdeen and Hibs agree.

I'd totally agree with this. 👍 

I feel Ross Stewart would be a decent squad striker but not a marquee first choice signing imo. A good option to have nonetheless. Only because he is more of a targetman type and brings a bit more than just goals. 

Either way, we'll need much better than these two if we are to get to the level we should be at. 

13 minutes ago, DC_92 said:

Yep, even his 'good' season was pretty ordinary.  Type of player you think is going to be a great signing with all the media noise and 3rd week into season realise he's not going to be the saviour.

36 minutes ago, Goodfella said:

Daily Record just confirmed it. Said St.Mirren beat Dons, Hibs, Hearts and St.Johnstone, who all made offers. Apparently the offer from St.Mirren was so good he didn't bother waiting on supposed interest from England. No idea where they've got the cash from.

Whatever happened with their tax return issues that the HMRC were involved in recently?

39 minutes ago, Goodfella said:

May well be true but won't believe until its confirmed elsewhere

Hungry hippo

Would have been happy to have Brophy but there are plenty others of a similar standard. I'm very sceptical despite the reports that he had offers from the other clubs mentioned.

1 hour ago, Goodfella said:

That is an interesting snippet.   Where did they get such money from. :rolleyes:

I am guessing he's got a guaranteed move to a bigger club and significant bonuses plus a hefty wage.   Yeah, it's got to be quite a wedge to be going there.   Big signing on fee as well. 

Pasquale for King

It was good then of Levein to accept that recommendation but his coaches failed him?

He was responsible for coaching too, he failed to coach players, the guys he hired failed to coach them too. 
You’re obsessed, every thread you talk about your hero 🙈

21 minutes ago, Hungry hippo said:

Would have been happy to have Brophy but there are plenty others of a similar standard. I'm very sceptical despite the reports that he had offers from the other clubs mentioned.

Definitely, plenty others of similar and better quality.   Hope we go for the latter.   A loan with a view to be permanent would suffice. 

I have to admit, I wasn't excited or interested in brophy signing on current form.   Perhaps he just needs a move to reignite the passion for scoring again.    He was good playing for Clarke that's for sure. 

Dr. Sheldon Cooper

What's with the obsession of re-signing former players?  Ross Callachan ffs. He would make our midfield even slower than it currently is.

Got shipped out once we signed better players in his position, two of which are still first team regulars. That tells you all you need to know.

43 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

He was responsible for coaching too, he failed to coach players, the guys he hired failed to coach them too. 
You’re obsessed, every thread you talk about your hero 🙈

I think you're losing the place

I don't mention him directly or indirectly on every thread as you do (the hatred just oozes out) just because he emptied your wee pal.

PS - Did you see the question mark at the end of the sentence?

Edited by JamboAl

Pasquale for King
56 minutes ago, Dr. Sheldon Cooper said:

What's with the obsession of re-signing former players?  Ross Callachan ffs. He would make our midfield even slower than it currently is.

Got shipped out once we signed better players in his position, two of which are still first team regulars. That tells you all you need to know.

Players can actually improve when they leave, he’s quicker than we have already and he’s scored more goals this season than all our midfielders put together at a higher level for Hamilton. 
He can actually go box to box, he also gives 100% and doesn’t hide. When he came up against those two you mention despite being told to watch his runs he scored and missed another chance that day. 
We could do worse, but hopefully we can do better. 

Pasquale for King

I think you're losing the place

I don't mention him directly or indirectly on every thread as you do (the hatred just oozes out) just because he emptied your wee pal.

PS - Did you see the question mark at the end of the sentence?

I only mention him when it’s required, like it is here. Yes I hate him, ****ing despise what he done to the club and the mess he left and millions he wasted. 
Once again your tiny brain can’t remember what you’ve been told, I bet you hear that a lot? 
My wee pal, 6’6” video analyst who only stopped working at the club after your hero because of cuts in that department. 
I saw the question mark, like most of what you post I tried to ignore it and answer your crap. 
As you’re so desperate yes Levein did well to act on Lockes recommendation and sign him. Just a pity he and his hand picked coaches couldn’t actually do their job and get the best out of the player, a not uncommon occurrence unfortunately. 

Ps the term is losing the plot. 

• davemclaren changed the title to January transfer window ( Now closed )