January transfer window ( Now closed )

kingantti1874

2 minutes ago, kingantti1874 said:

You can guarantee that at Preston, with his background. he’s been looking at players in Scotland also

Yes, but so have we. The ones down south and overseas are going to be ones we haven’t been aware of. 

• Replies 11.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Pasquale for King

• GinRummy

• Cruyff

• Lord Beni of Gorgie

2 minutes ago, soonbe110 said:

Yes, but so have we. The ones down south and overseas are going to be ones we haven’t been aware of. 

We shouldn't be looking below top half League 1 in England tbh unless it's a player who's an absolute standout at a lower level than that. Generally players from that lower level have toiled to make the grade. 

Bazzas right boot
33 minutes ago, JamboAl said:

While I do agree with thrust of your post, is there not a little bit of contradiction in these highlighted phrases?

I mean't v previous January windows and in the context of we'll win the championship with what we have already. 

There is no doubt that we will win the Championship with the squad we have. Any new signing has to be of a Premiership standard and it makes perfect sense to start the re-build of the squad now.

Juho_Makela_Goal_Machine

Could do with another wide player, probably on loan. Priority is getting Gino, Kingsley and Irving and a few of the other lads signed up. If quality becomes available at centre half or in midfield then you make it happen, but no need to rush into anything.

Gordon Ramsay

Another striker required.

Jury is still out on Wighton, seems to have went off the boil a bit after a decent start this season. Granted he put a decent shift in yesterday but he fluffed his chance start of extra time and his penalty was shocking. 

Another player with pace too. Not too fussed where he plays just needs to have pace. 

A_A wehatethehibs
3 minutes ago, Smith's right boot said:

I mean't v previous January windows and in the context of we'll win the championship with what we have already. 

I agree, unless we can get someone who can be a real medium term asset for us over the next 2-3-4 years in the premiership eg. Calum Paterson, then we don’t need much money spent in January. 

Maybe a loan deal with a view to permanent deal for a center half or Center forward who’s short of game time. But the “view to a permanent deal” bit would be the important bit otherwise there’s very little point in it. Unless it’s some top lad who will entertain for 6 months like Zeefuik which tbf I wouldn’t say no to.

Now it’s about consolidating and planning for the all out assault next season. There’s no chance any championship clubs are keeping pace with us this season even Elliot Frear is getting among the goals in the league, which says it all about the standard.

Scottie Wanshot.

We need another Good centre half, and someone up front with pace. need to sell  some of the dead wood that aren't good enough for the first team.

Scottie Wanshot.
On 26/11/2020 at 11:48, kingantti1874 said:

Well 4 league games do what do we need 😂

Another Ginelly type for me is essential as is another striker.. with pace or real physicality to compliment what we have.. 

agree.

Scottie Wanshot.
4 minutes ago, Juho_Makela_Goal_Machine said:

Could do with another wide player, probably on loan. Priority is getting Gino, Kingsley and Irving and a few of the other lads signed up. If quality becomes available at centre half or in midfield then you make it happen, but no need to rush into anything.

I feel that Irvine isn't a hard enough player, you never see him giving anyone a hard tackle, good passer of the ball, But needs to get more physical.

4 minutes ago, Gordon Ramsay said:

Another striker required.

Jury is still out on Wighton, seems to have went off the boil a bit after a decent start this season. Granted he put a decent shift in yesterday but he fluffed his chance start of extra time and his penalty was shocking. 

Another player with pace too. Not too fussed where he plays just needs to have pace. 

Agree striker should be priority, need someone to replace Boycie when he is out.  A loan of decent quality from England perhaps to see us to the summer.

22 minutes ago, Scottie Wanshot. said:

Wighton should go.

Agreed. Now's as good a time as any, while he has a decent market profile.  We might even get some dosh ??

Nothing against the guy as it seems he has made a great effort to improve since last season, but we need either someone with genuine pace, or someone who can dominate up front.

He's really not that sort of player

Bazzas right boot

Folk saying we need a striker and or a winger are incorrect, we're pulling away already and that was with Ginnelly missing and we've scored 21 goals in 7 games, having conceded 6. We are strong enough. 

Any transfers must be 100% with next season in mind, we don't need anything to see this season out. 

A January transfer window in the championship under covid is without a doubt absolute shite for building a team next season. 

Pre contracts and deals with next season and beyond for me. 

If we can get a gem that will see us through the medium term then great, but you have to think the choice will be far greater in the summer. 

Kingsley fits that bill. Pretty much a 1 in 100 shot tho. 

To win the championship , we don't need to add anything ( we could probably lose a few and not replace and we'd be fine). I expect us to be about ten points clear in about 5 games, And we don't need to put our finances under any more pressure just so we can win a few games by a few more goals. 

57 minutes ago, Scottie Wanshot. said:

We need another Good centre half, and someone up front with pace. need to sell  some of the dead wood that aren't good enough for the first team.

There’s a guy called John Soutar who could be available in a couple of months or so. 

Bazzas right boot
11 minutes ago, Busby8 said:

Agreed. Now's as good a time as any, while he has a decent market profile.  We might even get some dosh ??

Nothing against the guy as it seems he has made a great effort to improve since last season, but we need either someone with genuine pace, or someone who can dominate up front.

He's really not that sort of player

What club in that market is paying money for a player? 

I think folk forget that every club is under extreme financial pressure, most won't buy unless they need to, really need to. 

We don't need anyone in context of winning the league, so should only be in the market for long term improvements.

I would be far more interested in getting pre-contracts agreed ahead of our return next season, especially as we must be tight financially.

If we can get rid of a few then top priority is a bit more drive from centre midfield and a striker

Bazzas right boot
Just now, Saughton Jambo said:

Take Walker with him 

That walker who scored both goals to win the game at Morton?

You'd think folk would have learned about making any big changes and replacements in January, it doesn't work. 

This team has a great togetherness and will pap the championship, no need for major surgery in January. 

3 minutes ago, Saughton Jambo said:

Take Walker with him 

I know. It's hard to believe that he is still only 27. He looks like he is nearing the end of his playing days with his body language and lack of energy.

Walker should be on the scoresheet every week and not just when he feels like turning up. He was rank rotten yesterday and hid for most of the game. He’s one of our big earners and the return we get from him doesn’t justify the high salary he gets paid.

I can’t recall a single thing he did well yesterday and it was no surprise that Irving and Halliday came on to a game when walker went off. We shouldn’t be carrying passengers and he most definitely was one. I’d have expected more from a so called Hearts fan in arguably our biggest game for 19 months. 

8 minutes ago, Smith's right boot said:

What club in that market is paying money for a player? 

I think folk forget that every club is under extreme financial pressure, most won't buy unless they need to, really need to. 

Mate.... I thought it was pretty obvious that this was a tongue in cheek type comment.

Bazzas right boot
6 minutes ago, Busby8 said:

Mate.... I thought it was pretty obvious that this was a tongue in cheek type comment.

Lol. 

Woosh.... 

If you think we have more than enough to be promoted with what we have then no need to sign anyone this window

The only exception for me would be if we can get a player good enough to come in and good enough to play at the next level

There are always positions that need some work done such as a central defender but remember we may have Souttar to come back in March...but of course no g'tee.

Summer 2021 is the time where players are out of contract, we will have 5/6 in that position and it is a time for change

Now if there are any pre contracts to be done then fine but no need to go wild as promotion is the goal for 20/21 and yes a cup run would be great but it is not the priority

Covid is certainly here until March at least in terms of going to a match and all the money we have needs to cover the lower income we will have

Compared to many other clubs in Scotland and indeed in England we may be able to be in a position to sign quality players if we keep our powder dry this window 

Edited by CJGJ

Get Walker to **** man. Anyone who watched the game and thinks otherwise is an idiot. The biggest chance for him to make a name for himself and he was anonymous. 

A_A wehatethehibs
2 hours ago, soonbe110 said:

There’s a guy called John Soutar who could be available in a couple of months or so. 

I think many of us have passed the point of no return with Soapy. At this point it’s just about hoping he can return to play at any level. If he gets the same injury again during his recovery again then that’s bleak. Hope he can avoid that and have many years playing ahead 

Gorgie Boot boy

Ristrictions.

Not sure what is going to come next, the restrictions will have a say on movement though.

I would imagine players based in Scotland will be our main targets.

Tennant's  6's

I hope that I'm right in thinking that Walker, White, Brandon, Frear, Wighton are all out of contract at the end of the season.

That's a good start to get rid of guys that won't contribute when we get promoted.

I'm pretty sure that Declan Gallacher is available in the summer, likewise Brophy & Power That would be a good start for seasoned pros who you'd be pretty certain that they'd do well. Keeping Gino and hopefully the new SD Joe Savage can help us unearth some more gems from down south.

13 minutes ago, Gorgie Boot boy said:

Ristrictions.

Not sure what is going to come next, the restrictions will have a say on movement though.

I would imagine players based in Scotland will be our main targets.

That and Brexit. 

If I was Ann, I'd be telling Robbie to make do with what he has. Our biggest priorities to my mind are extending Kingsley & Irvings contracts and getting Ginnelly signed up long term. 

Frear & Roberts are complete pants, but we're still top of the league. Use White & Moore to try and push those two harder. There is no need to be spending money on anyone when we players we want to keep whose contracts are running down. Prioritise them and then have another look. January is a shit window for us, and attracting players to our division is tough, I can't see too many players we'd actually want being available.  Any January signing should be a player that will be solid in the premiership, otherwise pointless. 

In the summer I'd love to see us go for Paterson, Dunne (or alternatively, Findlay or Murray Wallace) and possibly Gallacher. Dunne/Findlay/Wallace are all left sided CBs so that would solve our issues there. Paterson would offer an alternative to Boyce + his amazing versatility. And in my dreamworld we've already got Irving, Kingsley and Ginnelly signed up :D 

Bazzas right boot
1 hour ago, CJGJ said:

If you think we have more than enough to be promoted with what we have then no need to sign anyone this window

The only exception for me would be if we can get a player good enough to come in and good enough to play at the next level

There are always positions that need some work done such as a central defender but remember we may have Souttar to come back in March...but of course no g'tee.

Summer 2021 is the time where players are out of contract, we will have 5/6 in that position and it is a time for change

Now if there are any pre contracts to be done then fine but no need to go wild as promotion is the goal for 20/21 and yes a cup run would be great but it is not the priority

Covid is certainly here until March at least in terms of going to a match and all the money we have needs to cover the lower income we will have

Compared to many other clubs in Scotland and indeed in England we may be able to be in a position to sign quality players if we keep our powder dry this window 

Yip. 

Jamie Walker does bail us out now and again but I'd still like him to leave in the summer. He failed at Wigan and was delighted to return saying he didn't know how good he had it yet plays like he couldn't give a toss 90% of the time.

Let's see how good you have it at Livingston.

3 minutes ago, Rick Sanchez said:

Jamie Walker does bail us out now and again but I'd still like him to leave in the summer. He failed at Wigan and was delighted to return saying he didn't know how good he had it yet plays like he couldn't give a toss 90% of the time.

Let's see how good you have it at Livingston.

I agree. Walker isn't the type that grabs a game by the scruff of the neck. If the team isn't working properly he goes missing. Naismith on the flipside seems to be able to find that bit extra and mix things up to try and get something going. 

We're not here to top up Walkers retirement pot. He's 27 now and offering zero consistency. Yesterday was ****ing huge and he didn't turn up. We need players who can push the club on and I don't think thats Walker anymore. 

Roberts, Frear and Damour would be the big ones to try and get shot of. 

The rest are good enough for what we need right now. Obviously the summer is a different story and there are big question marks over Wighton and Walker specifically. Berra could do a job as back up if the wages are workable. Left sided centrehalfs aren't a dime a dozen, so I wouldn't be so quick to let him go. 

• davemclaren changed the title to January transfer window ( edited )

Shit, i forgot about Roberts and Frear, this is becoming a long list. 

Out

Wighton

Berra

Walker

Frear

Roberts

Damour

Lee

None of them are good enough. 

airdriejambo3

Cant see Robbie binning Frear or Roberts yet, Personally I think the best we can hope for is Zlamal and Damour out on loan. Someone might take a punt on Zlamal but not on a player like Damour thats not kicked a ball in competition for about 10 months or more

30 minutes ago, Tennant's 6's said:

I hope that I'm right in thinking that Walker, White, Brandon, Frear, Wighton are all out of contract at the end of the season.

That's a good start to get rid of guys that won't contribute when we get promoted.

I'm pretty sure that Declan Gallacher is available in the summer, likewise Brophy & Power That would be a good start for seasoned pros who you'd be pretty certain that they'd do well. Keeping Gino and hopefully the new SD Joe Savage can help us unearth some more gems from down south.

Brandon and Walker have contracts to 2022 

Folk wanting far too much in Jan. We need to end this revolving door

Keep who we have. Maybe loan out Moore, Henderson, Mcgill. If can punt Damour then great but if he’s fit i’m all for giving him a shot. Would have done alright I reckon yesterday in the midfield 3. Next to Haring he might look a world-beater

Only bring in quality. Not just anyone who’s available. Even a couple loans if necessary. CB and Striker seem priority to me

I’d rather get Smith, Kingsley, Irving and Gino extended than sign people for sake of it

As many have pointed out, the free agency market looks very interesting. Stewart - Ross and Greg; O’Donnell, Findlay and Gallagher all good options 

Edited by R1874

It's not the revolving door that's the problem, it's the scouting and the gathering of pish players. 

We still need the door spinning to get rid of the dross and hopefully this Savage guy can bring a couple in with talent.

34 minutes ago, OTT said:

I agree. Walker isn't the type that grabs a game by the scruff of the neck. If the team isn't working properly he goes missing. Naismith on the flipside seems to be able to find that bit extra and mix things up to try and get something going. 

We're not here to top up Walkers retirement pot. He's 27 now and offering zero consistency. Yesterday was ****ing huge and he didn't turn up. We need players who can push the club on and I don't think thats Walker anymore. 

Got to agree.  I used to stick up for JW but it’s alarming how his early season start has tailed off rapidly. There was absolutely no reason for it to in a football sense. 

I think he’s at a crossroads big time to whether he gets kept on or not. Early season he looked so sharp, switched on and his old self. Even though he’s scored recently his general performances haven’t really been inspiring. He’s at an age he should be more consistent than he is. Far more. 

2 hours ago, Famous 1874 said:

Get Walker to **** man. Anyone who watched the game and thinks otherwise is an idiot. The biggest chance for him to make a name for himself and he was anonymous. 

Apparently Paul Ritchie ripped into him on twitter. Then deleted the tweet. Be interesting to know what he said. 

Gordon Ramsay
3 hours ago, Saughton Jambo said:

Walker should be on the scoresheet every week and not just when he feels like turning up. He was rank rotten yesterday and hid for most of the game. He’s one of our big earners and the return we get from him doesn’t justify the high salary he gets paid.

I can’t recall a single thing he did well yesterday and it was no surprise that Irving and Halliday came on to a game when walker went off. We shouldn’t be carrying passengers and he most definitely was one. I’d have expected more from a so called Hearts fan in arguably our biggest game for 19 months. 

Yep. He pops up with a goal every so often but offers absolutely nothing else.

Yesterday's performance from him was an embarrassment to the jersey. 

He's a League 1 player. Airdrie or some pish can have him. 

13 minutes ago, Libertarian said:

You never know we might get Shankland. Dundee United are skint. We could throw in Wighton and Damour and a small fee.

I'd take him in a heartbeat if we could do business, i don't think we're willing to pay much money though and who the hell wants Wighton or Damour?

• davemclaren changed the title to January transfer window ( Now closed )