January transfer window ( Now closed )

kingantti1874

On 26/11/2020 at 12:10, davemclaren said:

probably look to shift one or two first. 

There was a thread recently where someone suggested that Damour was heading back to France in January.

If this is correct then we could sign two players for the alleged money he is on.

• Replies 11.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Pasquale for King

• GinRummy

• Cruyff

• Lord Beni of Gorgie

22 minutes ago, wavydavy said:

There was a thread recently where someone suggested that Damour was heading back to France in January.

If this is correct then we could sign two players for the alleged money he is on.

We’ll most likely have to settle with him first. 

12 hours ago, ramrod said:

I would go for the guy from Raith , Duku . He  looks decent and wouldn't cost a lot . Boyce , Nsismith and  Wighton  look terrible atm. 

I liked the look of him against us, and that was before he scored that cracker of a goal. Gordon had no chance. It's the sort of pacey, hard finish you can get in the Premiership in England at times. 

He'd be worth taking a proper look at and it wouldn't cost too much.

Edited by jambonian

Just now, jambonian said:

I liked the look of him against us, good movement and awareness and that was before he scored that cracker of a goal. Gordon had no chance. It's the sort of pacey, hard finish you can get in the Premiership in England at times. 

He'd be worth taking a proper look at and it wouldn't cost too much.

kingantti1874

You know what annoys me.. we were in the market for Sam Nicholson.  We could match the wages on offer down south.. but we bring in Roberts and Frear.. 

putting aside whether we think same would be a good fit or not (although zero doubt he’s better than those 2 mentioned) one thing is for sure, we seem to have a quantity over quality policy 

You would hope that Andrew Mickinlay is looking at the the scouting department with a view to changing things up.

Edited by Rods

To be honest, unless we learn our lessons from our two recent defeats and start games faster and go at teams, we don’t look capable of winning automatic promotion. If we’re still fannying around in midfield and struggling to score, nobody in their right mind will sign up for potentially another championship campaign. We are that close to establishing ourselves as a mid table championship side.

1 hour ago, davemclaren said:

You may well be right Dave but if I were a footballer in that position I think I'd like to get fixed up elsewhere in January even on a pre contract. If he waits until his contract ends he'll be in the mix with hundreds of others looking to get fixed up and that number will most likely be inflated because of the Covid effects on club football.   His attitude won't go unnoticed by other clubs either. 

If I were him I would take what's going when it's going and his agent may share that view.

1 hour ago, davemclaren said:

Assuming he ever declares himself fit which I doubt very much.

Some of the young Dunfermline laddies, although none of them stood out they gave 100% and at least looked interested and like they were keen to play and be picked for their team.

57 minutes ago, Australis said:

Some of the young Dunfermline laddies, although none of them stood out they gave 100% and at least looked interested and like they were keen to play and be picked for their team.

The difference was that they seemed more motivated

• 3 weeks later...

Greg Stewart to be leaving Rangers. Wages may be an issue but the club should be taking promotion for granted and beginn7ng to build a team fit to compete in the SPL.

Striker

Winger

CB

RB in case Smith leaves, breaks his leg or fancies moving to CB/Midfield 

1 forward and 1 defender will do me this window. Sick to death of 8 new players every 6 months 

2 minutes ago, R1874 said:

Striker

Winger

CB

RB in case Smith leaves, breaks his leg or fancies moving to CB/Midfield 

1 forward and 1 defender will do me this window. Sick to death of 8 new players every 6 months 

The fact that it has been stated that we are making signings in January would , perhaps , indicate that we know who we are signing ?

A_A wehatethehibs
Just now, JFK-1 said:

Greg Stewart to be leaving Rangers. Wages may be an issue but the club should be taking promotion for granted and beginn7ng to build a team fit to compete in the SPL.

Maybe but I’m not that buzzing about taking players who were not good enough for Rangers.

Halliday was an Ok signing in terms of the timing and level we’re at, he’s good enough to get us promoted and will be good enough as a squad option first season back.

But in general I basically would go as far as to say I would never sign a 30 year old player that’s just been released by the old firm. It’ll be Killie or Motherwell for him. 

Mr Brightside
On 29/11/2020 at 15:33, Australis said:

They didn’t really have any youngsters. Thomas (24 at end of season) and Turner (23) stood out but I would rather give our youngest guys a game instead.

Cochrane and Hamilton have been playing most weeks in League 1 in centre midfield could they give us more energy in midfield.

Mr Brightside
18 minutes ago, JFK-1 said:

I liked Stewart in the number 10 role, if he comes in then Walker or Naismith need to make way for him.

Would like to get Greg Docherty from Rangers for next season if he was available.

Don’t think we need to sign much in this window. Season will be done in a few months. More important to get Kingsley, Smith, Irving and Ginelly signed up. And look at next season, pre contracts etc. Get Damour of the books. I guess a striker, centre half and midfield/winger with pace. 

Key players to build squad on are

Gordon, Smith, Halkett, Kingsley,

Haring, Ginelly, Irving, Boyce

The rest I wouldn’t care if they left. 

Definitely mo new contracts for Berra, White, Wighton, Zlamal, Henderson, Moore. 

12 minutes ago, A_A wehatethehibs said:

It’ll be Killie or Motherwell for him. 

No chance of that. His wages will be out of their league, Plus the asking price is being quoted as "less than 500K"

Even it were only say 200K that too is way out of their league.

A_A wehatethehibs
6 minutes ago, JFK-1 said:

No chance of that. His wages will be out of their league, Plus the asking price is being quoted as "less than 500K"

Even it were only say 200K that too is way out of their league.

The actual price will end up as £0k as nobody would pay even £200k for a 30 year old Rangers flop they’re just looking to offload off the wage bill. 

Edited by A_A wehatethehibs

I'd want more pace in the team. Someone similar to gino for the left side. Roberts and frear don't look up to much so far. Hopefully savage knows one or two

kingantti1874
1 minute ago, A_A wehatethehibs said:

The actual price will end up as £0k as nobody would pay even £200k for a 30 year old Rangers flop. 

sorry that’s just rubbish.. rangers are the best team in the country by a mile, Greg Stewart would walk into any team in the league outside of Glasgow.. 

15 minutes ago, Koolkeith said:

Don’t think we need to sign much in this window. Season will be done in a few months. More important to get Kingsley, Smith, Irving and Ginelly signed up. And look at next season, pre contracts etc. Get Damour of the books. I guess a striker, centre half and midfield/winger with pace. 

Definitely mo new contracts for Berra, White, Wighton, Zlamal, Henderson, Moore. 

Is Berra’s contract up at the end of this season?

A_A wehatethehibs
1 minute ago, kingantti1874 said:

sorry that’s just rubbish.. rangers are the best team in the country by a mile, Greg Stewart would walk into any team in the league outside of Glasgow.. 

Then good luck to him at any team outside of Glasgow, Killie or Motherwell as I’ve said.

4 minutes ago, A_A wehatethehibs said:

Then good luck to him at any team outside of Glasgow, Killie or Motherwell as I’ve said.

It wont be Killie or Motherwell. If he stays in Scotland it's vastly more likely to be hubz or the sheep.

Should be 3 players max coming in. Striker , winger and Centre back. Would even just go for loans just now and give our new man some time to sign permanent players for going up next season. Pre contracts as there will be good players to pick up down south from league 1 and 2 because of wage cap. 

A_A wehatethehibs
Just now, JFK-1 said:

It wont be Killie or Motherwell. If he stays in Scotland it's vastly more likely to be hubz or the sheep.

Fine by me, I’m not interested at all in Greg Stewart feel he will be another 30 year old 3 year deal situation who mentally will not be motivated. I’m just not interested in that type of player anymore I’ve seen enough of them. 

On 29/11/2020 at 14:03, kingantti1874 said:

You know what annoys me.. we were in the market for Sam Nicholson.  We could match the wages on offer down south.. but we bring in Roberts and Frear.. 

putting aside whether we think same would be a good fit or not (although zero doubt he’s better than those 2 mentioned) one thing is for sure, we seem to have a quantity over quality policy 

Its been that way for a few years now, 

3 minutes ago, A_A wehatethehibs said:

Fine by me, I’m not interested at all in Greg Stewart feel he will be another 30 year old 3 year deal situation who mentally will not be motivated. I’m just not interested in that type of player anymore I’ve seen enough of them. 

Agreed. For every club he does well at there are 2 he doesn't perform for...

7 minutes ago, A_A wehatethehibs said:

There is little doubt that Stewart is capable of flashes of brilliance but (including loans) he has been shunted around a few clubs without establishing himself anywhere.  That may suggest a lack of consistency and if so then we should leave well alone.  That said, I would not be averse to a loan in January on the basis that he shoud be able to  show up well in a lower division and even if he doesn't we would be stuck with him over a decent length contract.

Bazzas right boot

Don't want to sign anyone atm really. 

We'll pish the championship and matched hibs and celtic over 120 minutes. 

All efforts should be on removing the deadwood, getting players extended on contracts, pre contracts and signings for next season. 

No more money wasted this season, we're in the championship and with covid financial restrictions. 

Robbie and the current team will see us win the league, all improvement plans should be focussed on next season. 

Bazzas right boot
1 hour ago, Koolkeith said:

I generally agree, but I'd keep white, imo he's an effective utility player, Wighton also I'd have no issue with but he'd be 3rd or 4th choice striker but can be used anywhere across the front 3, again decent back up and utility. 

But if both left I wouldn't be concerned. 

2 minutes ago, Leveins Battalion said:

I'd expect with Joe Savage coming in that we will be looking to sign younger players with sell on value now.

One thing our recruitment can only improve on recent years. We've signed a few good ones but far far to many duds with no sell on value and also costing a fortune,

kingantti1874
10 minutes ago, davemclaren said:

Fair enough, I would be surprised to see it renewed. 

I would like to see a pay as you play or a move into the coaching staff

HillmanHearts
11 minutes ago, Smith's right boot said:

All efforts should be on removing the deadwood, getting players extended on contracts, pre contracts and signings for next season. 

No more money wasted this season, we're in the championship and with covid financial restrictions. 

Robbie and the current team will see us win the league, all improvement plans should be focussed on next season. 

Generally agree with this.

Certainly don’t need any journeyman types.

However if a real good opportunity arose to get a bit of genuine quality on a deal that wouldn’t break the bank then id think we should probably still go for it with a view to the next couple of years.

Central Belt 1874
28 minutes ago, Smith's right boot said:

This is a sensible approach at this moment in time. However, I'm not sure there are many (any even) in the current team who are worthy of getting extended contracts. 

Yesterdays team is good enough to win the championship, but over a top flight season, I'm not sure guys like Naismith, Walker, Berra and White to name a few are going to help us challenge for 3rd.

Edited by Central Belt 1874

Would like to see another striker come in, possibly a centre half.  Would be good to give whoever comes in time to settle so they had hit the ground running next season.

Bazzas right boot
28 minutes ago, HillmanHearts said:

Generally agree with this.

Certainly don’t need any journeyman types.

However if a real good opportunity arose to get a bit of genuine quality on a deal that wouldn’t break the bank then id think we should probably still go for it with a view to the next couple of years.

Agree, if a quality player is available I'd be OK, but in all honesty a January transfer window under covid with us in the championship that will be limited. 

January transfers Outwith Boyce have been poor in general, add in covid and the championship then our options are very limited. 

50 minutes ago, Smith's right boot said:

We'll pish the championship and matched hibs and celtic over 120 minutes

While I do agree with thrust of your post, is there not a little bit of contradiction in these highlighted phrases?

8 minutes ago, Leveins Battalion said:

Longer term we need a new Centre half,Left winger/Midfielder.

Possible an attacking midfielder and 2 strikers.

I'd agree with most of that. 

I'd say 2 Centerhalfs with Berra out of contract, Popescu should be punted and Souttar injury problems. 

Need another RB. M. Smith gets injured and we're toiling. 

Controversial but I'd keep White as back up to Kingsley because he can play Left mid as well. 

Lee's out of contract and needs replaced. I'd sign Liam Polworth. 

Probably look to keep Ginnelly, punt Frear, Roberts and Walker and sign 2 new Wingers. 

Defo would be looking at a number 10. A targetman striker and a quick poacher. 

2 hours ago, JFK-1 said:

Did hear a whisper about him being on our radar for January but I think wages will be an issue though Rangers would maybe make a contribution to buy out his remaining contract. 

46 minutes ago, Leveins Battalion said:

I'd expect with Joe Savage coming in that we will be looking to sign younger players with sell on value now.

Certainly wouldn’t think we will be looking at Scottish based players. He will have a scouting book on players in leagues 1 & 2 down south that Preston have been following. 

2 hours ago, A_A wehatethehibs said:

Maybe but I’m not that buzzing about taking players who were not good enough for Rangers.

Halliday was an Ok signing in terms of the timing and level we’re at, he’s good enough to get us promoted and will be good enough as a squad option first season back.

But in general I basically would go as far as to say I would never sign a 30 year old player that’s just been released by the old firm. It’ll be Killie or Motherwell for him. 

Halliday role next season will be back-up to Kingsley if he stays with us.  If he doesnt Halliday is left back next season. 

9 minutes ago, Smith's right boot said:

Agree, if a quality player is available I'd be OK, but in all honesty a January transfer window under covid with us in the championship that will be limited. 

January transfers Outwith Boyce have been poor in general, add in covid and the championship then our options are very limited. 

Agree, I don't think we should be paying for players whilst in the Championship unless they were younger players who can be developed into quality top flight players. 

A couple of loans until May will do the trick just now. 

kingantti1874
3 minutes ago, soonbe110 said:

Certainly wouldn’t think we will be looking at Scottish based players. He will have a scouting book on players in leagues 1 & 2 down south that Preston have been following. 

You can guarantee that at Preston, with his background. he’s been looking at players in Scotland also

• davemclaren changed the title to January transfer window ( Now closed )