January transfer window ( Now closed )

kingantti1874

11 hours ago, JJ93 said:

If he had not retired and was fit, Zeefuik.

Someone like him who can do the job. Probably someone who has played in the Champ before so we know that they can play against teams that will kick you off the park etc.

Zeefuik was the last player to average over 20 goals a season for Hearts.

• Replies 11.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Pasquale for King

• GinRummy

• Cruyff

• Lord Beni of Gorgie

Bazzas right boot

Wouldn't waste a penny unless we have no choice, for example 2/3 big injuries or we are struggling in the league or Ofc a good player that will be a part of our first team next year becomes available, that is unlikely. 

We'll be Likley looking at players for next season on pre contracts our pulling power is almost non existent and we'll struggle to get better than we have  in for 5 months championship football. 

The biggest issue we'll have is motivating players for the second part of the season not renewing their contracts, not sure how we can do that 100%, just got  to depend on the players professionalism to a large extent. 

Every January transfer window has been pretty shite for us and in general is no good for major changes, this year it will be worse than normal due to covid and being in the championship. 

Edited by Smith's right boot

No need to sign anyone unless someone exceptional becomes available.

Id prefer we concentrate on keeping those who can strengthen us (Kingsley, Smith, Haring) and getting rid of those who contribute next to nothing (Damour, Frear) while exploring pre-contracts for next season.

Given we have zero idea when fans will be back (not to mention it’s the worst window)  I’d say we should be signing nobody unless we lose a few.

Signing more January duds is the last thing we need to be doing and the squad we have are / should be more than capable of winning a league that contains many sides of whoms players have other day jobs.  We’re losing money like everyone else. I’m not expecting or wanting any additional players this window

The Old Tolbooth

With Aidy White being pushed into the left winger role (I think this cold be a decent move like), I'd love to see Haring and Irving start more together, but think we need cover at centre half, because if Smith goes then there goes our right back and also cover for centre half. I'd run with what we have for the rest of this season (plus a centre half), try and offload some junk, and keep the budget for the summer. 

Edited by The Old Tolbooth

I’d prefer it if our coaching team actually did some coaching rather than wasting time trying to sign the next batch of overpaid half-fit, ponderous journeymen.

Pasquale for King

Two big ifs but can we get someone like Damour/Zlamal/Doyle out the door abc if there’s someone who can contribute this season and next then it be tempting to do it. 
Either that or loans out and in to help us get over the line and challenge in this seasons cups. 

3 hours ago, 1971fozzy said:

Given we have zero idea when fans will be back (not to mention it’s the worst window)  I’d say we should be signing nobody unless we lose a few.

Signing more January duds is the last thing we need to be doing and the squad we have are / should be more than capable of winning a league that contains many sides of whoms players have other day jobs.  We’re losing money like everyone else. I’m not expecting or wanting any additional players this window

I'd go along with that. I think we need to accept we're stuck with the current bunch grinding out results. The club doesn't have the money to buy and even if other clubs want to sell to cut their own wage bill , I can't see us offloading any of the dross that isn't currently playing in order to afford it. But a man can dream, I suppose. 

I think we're going to win the league quite safely this season and with uncertainty around income etc, I wouldn't be too bothered about bringing anyone in in January unless we lose someone important. A striker and some guaranteed goals would be a "nice to have", but I don't think its an absolute necessity. Getting Damour a move would be lovely.

But, assuming everything goes well and we're ok for money etc going into next season, then:

Extending current deals and looking at potential Bosman signings would be my immediate priority. Ideally I'd be extending Kingsley, Haring, Irving, Ginnelly and I don't know Stewart's situation with Livi, but if he was available and willing I would gladly keep him around as backup to CG. Wouldn't bother extending Berra, Lee, Zlamal, Doyle, White or Cochrane. Jury's out for Wighton and Cochrane but I think the latter's ship has sailed.

Been saying for a while that I don't think Smith will extend so will be away either in January or at the end of his contract in the summer, and I have a feeling that Stephen O'Donnell will be his immediate replacement. I would even go as far as to say that I think we might even have some sort of deal in place with him already, which is why he's signed such an unusually short term deal with Motherwell. I think he's (quite rightly) gone there to keep playing and to keep his place in the Scotland squad as we've been unable to guarantee him game time while Smith is still around. 

Being very ambitious here I think, but Ryan Gauld is out of contract at the end of the season. He would be an excellent addition, tucked in behind our strikers or playing out on the wing.

A centre back - Declan Gallagher being first choice for me, followed by Stuart Findlay or Murray Wallace. Any one of them would be an excellent addition.  

And finally a striker, maybe two - top of my wish list is Eamon Brophy or Ross Stewart, and maybe loan someone in as cover. Happy for Wighton to be given some chances this season but as above the jury's out and either way I don't think he's good enough for the Prem. Seems to have found his level in the Championship, which is good for him but at the end of the day, we're not staying there......

If Souttar comes back strong enough and we sign those above, we could look something like this, which if I'm being honest, is semi-inducing :D 

Gordon

Kingsley, Gallagher, Souttar, O'Donnell 

Ginnelly, Halliday, Haring, Gauld

Boyce, Brophy

I think we'd have some decent depth and a strong bench at that when you consider we'd still have Naismith, Walker, Halkett, Popescu, Brandon, Moore, McGill, Logan, Stone etc - perhaps adding in a couple of squad players here and there if needed. 

Edited by Batistuta87

We don't need anyone at the moment. 

This squad will get us out the Championship and Boyce will be fine after a rest, the boy is burnt out after all the Internationals. 

Wighton can score goals at this level. 

Save our cash for the summer and any signings should be pre contracts capable of playing at a higher level next season. 

If Boyce had been putting the ball in the back of the net then I would have said that we do not need anyone.

Hopefully he scores a few in the next couple of games because if his form in front of goal does not improve then we should be in the market for another striker.

Edited by Lambo85

I’d like a loan deal for Jordan Jones. He’d offer pace and a threat from wide in this league.

Could do with a striker who can actually finish sitters and ideally another central defender but that’s probably not going to happen with our budgetary restrictions.

3 hours ago, DH1986 said:

Get a few loan deals in......

Proper cover for Haring, a decent winger and a striker.

I’d look to offload a few too if possible.

This for me. Haring suffers a recurrence and our midfield is goosed.

Thought we needed a striker before season started and still do.

Pace still lacking

On 26/11/2020 at 14:55, jambonian said:

Jimmy Dunne on a pre-contract please. (If only!) :( 

Like the look of the Dunfermline defender Euan Murray, and he's scored about 6 goals, pretty decent for a defender. 

Get Toby Sibbick back (on loan at Oostende) 

Upfront there's plenty players available on Transfermarkt.com Worth having a look at.

Think we might get one player in on a short term deal or loan, hopefully a forward. This squad should be good enough to win the League. Save any big transfers for summer.

Very interesting point about Toby Sibbick. Assume his health is okay now.

11 hours ago, Batistuta87 said:

I think we're going to win the league quite safely this season and with uncertainty around income etc, I wouldn't be too bothered about bringing anyone in in January unless we lose someone important. A striker and some guaranteed goals would be a "nice to have", but I don't think its an absolute necessity. Getting Damour a move would be lovely.

But, assuming everything goes well and we're ok for money etc going into next season, then:

Extending current deals and looking at potential Bosman signings would be my immediate priority. Ideally I'd be extending Kingsley, Haring, Irving, Ginnelly and I don't know Stewart's situation with Livi, but if he was available and willing I would gladly keep him around as backup to CG. Wouldn't bother extending Berra, Lee, Zlamal, Doyle, White or Cochrane. Jury's out for Wighton and Cochrane but I think the latter's ship has sailed.

Been saying for a while that I don't think Smith will extend so will be away either in January or at the end of his contract in the summer, and I have a feeling that Stephen O'Donnell will be his immediate replacement. I would even go as far as to say that I think we might even have some sort of deal in place with him already, which is why he's signed such an unusually short term deal with Motherwell. I think he's (quite rightly) gone there to keep playing and to keep his place in the Scotland squad as we've been unable to guarantee him game time while Smith is still around. 

Being very ambitious here I think, but Ryan Gauld is out of contract at the end of the season. He would be an excellent addition, tucked in behind our strikers or playing out on the wing.

A centre back - Declan Gallagher being first choice for me, followed by Stuart Findlay or Murray Wallace. Any one of them would be an excellent addition.  

And finally a striker, maybe two - top of my wish list is Eamon Brophy or Ross Stewart, and maybe loan someone in as cover. Happy for Wighton to be given some chances this season but as above the jury's out and either way I don't think he's good enough for the Prem. Seems to have found his level in the Championship, which is good for him but at the end of the day, we're not staying there......

If Souttar comes back strong enough and we sign those above, we could look something like this, which if I'm being honest, is semi-inducing :D 

Gordon

Kingsley, Gallagher, Souttar, O'Donnell 

Ginnelly, Halliday, Haring, Gauld

Boyce, Brophy

I think we'd have some decent depth and a strong bench at that when you consider we'd still have Naismith, Walker, Halkett, Popescu, Brandon, Moore, McGill, Logan, Stone etc - perhaps adding in a couple of squad players here and there if needed. 

A very considered post, but I'd like to think that Cochrane  would be given a chance.  Okay, he peaked too early but that doesn't mean he is past it.

1 hour ago, chrystaf said:

A very considered post, but I'd like to think that Cochrane  would be given a chance.  Okay, he peaked too early but that doesn't mean he is past it.

I don't mean he's past it - he'll probably improve as he gets a bit older, but I don't think he'll improve enough to be good enough for Hearts. Certainly doesn't look like he's reaching anywhere near his full early potential. Comparing him to Irving for example, there's not much of an age gap but Irving is light years ahead. I'd even say that if it was a choice between Cochrane or McGill that I'd go with McGill currently. 

Edited by Batistuta87

A striking loan would be nice. Rangers have Greg Stewart miles out of the reckoning. He isn't going to get a game ahead of Morelos, Roofe, Defoe or Itten.

In addition his contract is up next June and since they are extremely unlikely to offer him another he would be well advised to get a loan deal firstly to be match fit and secondly to put himself in the shop window. I feel he would rip up the opposition in the Championship.

A_A wehatethehibs
7 hours ago, Batistuta87 said:

I don't mean he's past it - he'll probably improve as he gets a bit older, but I don't think he'll improve enough to be good enough for Hearts. Certainly doesn't look like he's reaching anywhere near his full early potential. Comparing him to Irving for example, there's not much of an age gap but Irving is light years ahead. I'd even say that if it was a choice between Cochrane or McGill that I'd go with McGill currently. 

Im not so sure about Irving vs Cochrane, Irving is ahead right now but don’t see where you’re getting “light years” from. I’ve seen both of them have good games, seen Cochrane go toe to toe with Scotland midfielders, Irving had a good game at Easter road. But also seen both of them look wildly off the pace and dominated by the likes of Hamilton Accies. Both have been on loan to league 1 clubs. Cochrane is a year younger with 30 Hearts games to Irving’s 25. 

Irving is in the drivers seat among the young midfielders at the moment, but not written off Cochrane yet, we’ll see when he comes back in January. And McGill is an unknown at the moment. 

9 hours ago, chrystaf said:

Very interesting point about Toby Sibbick. Assume his health is okay now.

Folk say that these players would be out of our price bracket, maybe, maybe not. It depends on if they want to establish themselves and get a big move further down the line. At Hearts they'd get that chance. In the case of Jimmy Dunne..he's dropped out the picture again after starting the first couple of games for his club. I'm sure he's on his last year down there so it wouldn't do any harm at all to show an interest in the January transfer window. He's already said he'd love to play for Hearts again sometime so for me, that's incentive enough. Berra's not going to be around much longer so an ideal replacement. On Sibbick...if he's out of the plans at his club then again, worth showing a note of interest. Damour won't be around forever. Both these players don't actually have a lot of first team experience but both are big, physical players, early 20s which is exactly what we need. Folk will also say that Championship clubs down south will sign him, maybe, maybe not, especially if the players are not that noticeable by not getting games at their clubs? Same with right back. Healthy competition for Michael Smith would be Steven O'Donnell who's on a short term contract at Motherwell. Losing Brandon will free up space there. Our recruitment needs to improve drastically before the likes of Aberdeen or Hibs get a chance of these types of players before we do. 

5 hours ago, JFK-1 said:

A striking loan would be nice. Rangers have Greg Stewart miles out of the reckoning. He isn't going to get a game ahead of Morelos, Roofe, Defoe or Itten.

In addition his contract is up next June and since they are extremely unlikely to offer him another he would be well advised to get a loan deal firstly to be match fit and secondly to put himself in the shop window. I feel he would rip up the opposition in the Championship.

Another player who's impressed me. There are players out there but we don't or won't go for them it seems.

27 minutes ago, jambonian said:

Another player who's impressed me. There are players out there but we don't or won't go for them it seems.

With the 4 I mentioned ahead of him he's not just miles off the first team he's miles off even a place on the bench. Who knows. They might even be persuaded to simply release him since his contract will be up in June anyway and they will be paying him to just hang around not playing.

And on his part he would be playing, attaining match fitness and looking at a quick return to the SPL if he decided to stay at Hearts. It's a win for everyone concerned.

Ross Stewart pre contract would nice. 

Another winger please. Seems like this is needed every window. 

Smith, Kingsley and Irving sign extension. 

Pace is important when the game is open but when we are losing and a team is sitting deep against us we need a different option.  It is really difficult to pass through a low block and the easiest ways to score against it are shots from outside the box and crosses (sometimes from deep) to a striker who is good in the air.  I would like a target man not for long balls but as an option in the box when we can't break through.  I would still see Boyce as first choice (he will improve) but someone physical as an option off the bench would be useful. 

Also another wide player but I still have hopes that Roberts will come good. 

On 27/11/2020 at 00:52, RobNox said:

Zeefuik was the last player to average over 20 goals a season for Hearts.

And he joined us in January. Imagine if he had been with us for the whole season! He would have set a record. 

13 hours ago, JFK-1 said:

This.

14 hours ago, JFK-1 said:

Would be a great move for us if we could get him, he’s a far better player than any striker we have at the club just now.

He would have buried most of the chances we’ve missed over the past few games, also has a great free kick.

HillmanHearts

Oh good another transfer window to look forward to !

Will we get in more stellar guys like Frear, Roberts & Halliday ?

Or will get a marquee signing like Boyce and watch the confidence slowly drain away in our pedestrian, turgid football.

No more signings on reputation and experience please.  It can only go one way.  I’d rather we unearthed a few gems from the lower leagues that are good at what they do and have a point to prove.  Or a few players from the continent who are willing to inject a bit of pace or urgency into preceding.  Low risk strategy all the way.

not sure rolling the dice and bringing in eight new players will actually fix things, feels like we've been there before several times. Think we need to sort the top of the shop first.

Салатные палочки

Oh christ no. Please no. Not another one. 

I wonder when this mystical, magical transfer window that's going to sort us out is going to happen. You know, the one we have been waiting for since summer 2017? 

Салатные палочки
1 minute ago, gedster said:

potentially our most important window in years......if we feck up now we could be a championship team for some years

Whilst I don't disagree, how many times have we said that? Yet we still buy more shite unsuited to our predicament. 

2 hours ago, Tokyo Drifter said:

I'd say we do need to bring in a striker. 

I would go for the guy from Raith , Duku . He  looks decent and wouldn't cost a lot . Boyce , Nsismith and  Wighton  look terrible atm. 

Edited by ramrod

3 minutes ago, Salad Fingers said:

Whilst I don't disagree, how many times have we said that? Yet we still buy more shite unsuited to our predicament. 

This year we're a Championship club.....I'm beginning to be concerned

Салатные палочки

The problem is the players signed in the last window don't even look good enough to get us out the Championship. If they do, they are certainly not good enough for the Premiership. So that means we ONCE AGAIN rip it up and start again. That means signing more average, shitebag players on high wages and long contracts. 

Rinse and repeat. 

I wish we could get away with what McLean did with Dundee United in the 80s. Pay them shite wages with massive win bonuses, meaning the players had to knock their pans in every weekend to pay their mortgage and treat the wife to a meal. 

Where is the incentive to put in a good performance if there's no threat to your money? Turn up, kick a ball about in training for a few hours, get rings run round you on the Saturday by a guy who grafted until 4.30 that morning, go and check your bank balance, see your 2.5k has been paid in and go to Nandos.

No one is taking any responsibility for this shite. Just a bunch of overpaid primadonnas. 

• davemclaren changed the title to January transfer window ( Now closed )