January transfer window ( Now closed )

kingantti1874

Berra than you

Listened to scarves around the funnel also. As well as the Lafferty chat, Mark says that Robbie told him we had a striker ready to sign, however pulled out as the agent was looking for too much money. Would love some names to appear.

• Replies 11.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Pasquale for King

• GinRummy

• Cruyff

• Lord Beni of Gorgie

1 hour ago, DH1986 said:

"My feeling is we don't need a goalkeeper at the moment,” said Stendel. “We said we're looking for offensive players and Joel played well in the last games. 

I really think you should have read it Bongo.....

Budge was desperate to get Gordon in and went as far as getting a dossier together for Stendel to review, but he didn't want him.  He did want a new goalie, none that he wanted were avail in Jan, so was waiting until Summer.

We had been trying to speak to Gordon for quite a while pre-Stendel, and Celtic were being dicks.

For the record, I really liked Daniel Stendel and was excited about what he was going to do with us.  I think he'd have kept us up and the next season would have been great fun, (if not for covid obviously!).  But there's simply no denying his insistence on playing Perreira had us bottom of the league.  If Bobby had played instead, we wouldn't have been.  So many games we were the better team, controlling the game, that twat threw one in and the game changed in an instant.  He must have directly cost us double-figure points.  Bobby ain't amazing, but he may have cost us less than half that.

Also the other faults in Daniel's system etc wouldn't have been highlighted half as much if we didn't have a goalie with chocolate wrists and the heart of a mouse.  It's fair to say the majority of the goals we lost were down directly to him not making an easy save or the defence being so shit scared and nervous of him -it created panic - you could see it.

43 minutes ago, HillmanHearts said:

Neither Lafferty or Cummings are the type of striker that Robbie is looking for right now - pretty simple really.

Good.  I'd have hoped he was looking for a good one!

7 minutes ago, Berra than you said:

Listened to scarves around the funnel also. As well as the Lafferty chat, Mark says that Robbie told him we had a striker ready to sign, however pulled out as the agent was looking for too much money. Would love some names to appear.

Brophy maybe?

55 minutes ago, Hashimoto said:

Let's no get too carried away here.....It might still be any auld lump of wood we sign.....How long did it take to get Vanachek (spell ?) signed again? 

We'll see, I get the feeling we are trying to get the right player. 

8 minutes ago, cosanostra said:

Brophy maybe?

Doesn't fit the criteria. 

57 minutes ago, HillmanHearts said:

Neither Lafferty or Cummings are the type of striker that Robbie is looking for right now - pretty simple really.

This is true. Despite some transfer failures, RN has bought players in the positions we need. I fully expect that to continue and although we need a striker, it’s clearly a specific type of striker he’s after 

We need to be building a squad for the future, players with either serious injury history or at the end of their careers such as May, Moult, Lafferty being talked about, are not the future. These type can be signed to enhance a squad. But not to build with and depend on as we have done in our recent past. We need to be spotting talent and potential, hopefully with Joe Savage we are  moving into a new exciting era and to get us back to where we should have been by now, challenging at the very top. Once we get back to normal and back in the grounds, we as fans need play our part by being supportive and encouraging.

7 minutes ago, Skacelsid said:

We need to be building a squad for the future, players with either serious injury history or at the end of their careers such as May, Moult, Lafferty being talked about, are not the future. These type can be signed to enhance a squad. But not to build with and depend on as we have done in our recent past. We need to be spotting talent and potential, hopefully with Joe Savage we are  moving into a new exciting era and to get us back to where we should have been by now, challenging at the very top. Once we get back to normal and back in the grounds, we as fans need play our part by being supportive and encouraging.

Correct. I'm sick and tired of us going round in circles in the transfer market, it's about time we start building a young team with plenty of sell on value. We've done it in the past with players like Weir, Cameron, McCann to name a few. 

If we can get back to that philosophy I'd be delighted and I'm sure the rest of us would be too.

2 hours ago, kingantti1874 said:

You can’t ignore goals in the cup, then include them in appearances.. 

That's not what I did. The stats I quoted were league minutes divided by league goals, which is entirely consistent.

In the league Lafferty scored 13 in 37 and overall he scored 20 in 48. I was just correcting the "20 in 40" stat, which was a separate point.

The Apprentice

If the weird Lafferty to Hibs rumours have any substance it will likely be a 6 month deal as a stop-gap until the end of the season, most likely as it would be with us.

FWIW I wouldn't mind having him back. A good spell previously, he's played with a number of the players over his career at both club and international, plus you've got Lee McCulloch on the coaching staff who knows what he's about.  After listening to his Si Ferry interview and other quotes from him since he left I think he realises just how good he had it here in terms of his profile and popularity with the fans.  I have no doubt he'll have sounded the club that's for sure.

I do get the other side of the argument though regarding moving on and building a younger side with a view to the coming seasons. What I would say is that January isn't the easiest of months to do business at the best of times especially with everything going on at the moment.

Edited by The Apprentice

12 hours ago, A_A wehatethehibs said:

Reading very much between the lines of this quote “we could get a striker right now but it wouldn’t be the one we want” sounds like that is Lafferty ruled out.

Some will be happy, others disappointed with that. Interested to see who we get. If we end up getting nobody and we’ve passed on Lafferty, Neilson will take a huge amount of stick.

He’s just won manager of the month and barely got a mention on here.

He’s always gonna take stick regardless.

TBH Lafferty is an either or for me. Happy enough if he signed. Not that arsed if he don’t. (Unless we don’t sign anyone)

1 hour ago, merseyjambo said:

Would never describe Lafferty as a hero but did a job for us.

We are light up front and an injury to Boyce would IMO leave us struggling. 

We need someone for next 6 months and KL fits bill. Either that or we go down the loan route for a striker which hasn’t worked out too well for us in past. 

I don’t doubt that whenever the season is ended we will be top but the ever increasing spectre that the season may be called and called as null and void means that longer term recruiting needs to be put in back burner. Most clubs will not be looking to sign in pre contracts as they are all in a financial unknown. We shouldn’t look to bring in a load of players in pre contract who may not want to play in 2nd tier or who we can’t afford 

Far too sensible a post bud.

Long term we don’t know what league we’ll be in so planning is tricky.

We need either a player who’ll commit long term, regardless of league or a short term see where we are in May kinda signing.

We need someone though, what we have, with an injury to the wrong players might see us in bother if the league was called.

Ive always had a concern league will be called null & void with us top or 1 up with us not 

kingantti1874
56 minutes ago, DC_92 said:

That's not what I did. The stats I quoted were league minutes divided by league goals, which is entirely consistent.

In the league Lafferty scored 13 in 37 and overall he scored 20 in 48. I was just correcting the "20 in 40" stat, which was a separate point.

fair enough.. my bad

Reading between the lines with regards to RN's comments. Obviously he's set out his criteria for a striker and I think it's a pretty strict one. The player we are after imo will be 6ft plus, strong, good in the air, good close control and intelligent. So that rules out a number of players.

Secondly, he suggested he wants to build a team. So you'd like to think this player will be between the ages of 23-28 as this player would contribute over a longer period, to me that rules out a number of players as well.

I think the shout about the laddie from Walsall probably isn't miles off tbf. I don't know whether he'd make the grade here as League 2 is absolute shit but criteria wise and age wise, I think that's along the lines of what we will be looking at. 

48 minutes ago, Ainsley Harriott said:

Folk still on about Lafferty 😴😴😴

Indeed.

Clearly stated by Robbie "not for us".

Can we move on please?

He has.

Ainsley Harriott
6 minutes ago, Pans Jambo said:

Indeed.

Clearly stated by Robbie "not for us".

Can we move on please?

He has.

Maybe we could discuss the pros and cons of getting Stephane Adam out of retirement 

A_A wehatethehibs
1 hour ago, Jamhammer said:

He’s just won manager of the month and barely got a mention on here.

He’s always gonna take stick regardless.

TBH Lafferty is an either or for me. Happy enough if he signed. Not that arsed if he don’t. (Unless we don’t sign anyone)

Manager of the month in a tin pot league, nobody cares and rightly so. And that’s coming from me a big defender of neilsons, I support him and am looking forward to his plans once he’s managed to get rid of the remaining driftwood in the squad.

But as you say, as long as we get someone good in, thats the main thing. Louis Moult would be the most interesting one for me, as if he gets fit he’ll be 28 and should by rights be just coming into his prime. Hearts would be a destination club for him not a waystation. 

But if we end up with nobody in, it won’t be a good look, saying publicly you want an extra striker to add a different dimension but then passing up an easy chance to get Laff on a free who let’s face it, 17 games left in the championship would be guaranteed to knock in 5-10 goals plus he would give us an extra big game edge in any cup fixtures we might see. So, let’s assume the management team are very confident that we will definitely get our target signed, whoever it may be. 

9 minutes ago, A_A wehatethehibs said:

Manager of the month in a tin pot league, nobody cares and rightly so. And that’s coming from me a big defender of neilsons, I support him and am looking forward to his plans once he’s managed to get rid of the remaining driftwood in the squad.

But as you say, as long as we get someone good in, thats the main thing. Louis Moult would be the most interesting one for me, as if he gets fit he’ll be 28 and should by rights be just coming into his prime. Hearts would be a destination club for him not a waystation. 

But if we end up with nobody in, it won’t be a good look, saying publicly you want an extra striker to add a different dimension but then passing up an easy chance to get Laff on a free who let’s face it, 17 games left in the championship would be guaranteed to knock in 5-10 goals plus he would give us an extra big game edge in any cup fixtures we might see. So, let’s assume the management team are very confident that we will definitely get our target signed, whoever it may be. 

If he signs lafferty, or any other striker, it should be on the basis that he believes he fits in with his view of what he needs rather than what might be a good, or bad, look to supporters. 

At least I hope that’s what he does. 

19 minutes ago, Ainsley Harriott said:

Maybe we could discuss the pros and cons of getting Stephane Adam out of retirement 

Now your are talking.

As has been said before about Lafferty, he was a big game player for us, the rest of the time he was pretty average. I don't think playing Alloa, Q of S, Morton etc home or away come into that category. 

28 minutes ago, Cruyff said:

Reading between the lines with regards to RN's comments. Obviously he's set out his criteria for a striker and I think it's a pretty strict one. The player we are after imo will be 6ft plus, strong, good in the air, good close control and intelligent. So that rules out a number of players.

Secondly, he suggested he wants to build a team. So you'd like to think this player will be between the ages of 23-28 as this player would contribute over a longer period, to me that rules out a number of players as well.

I think the shout about the laddie from Walsall probably isn't miles off tbf. I don't know whether he'd make the grade here as League 2 is absolute shit but criteria wise and age wise, I think that's along the lines of what we will be looking at. 

Agreed although I think if the preferred long term solution isn't available in January I could see us getting a short term deal striker who could be a bit older.

Jambo On Fire
3 hours ago, TheBigO said:

Budge was desperate to get Gordon in and went as far as getting a dossier together for Stendel to review, but he didn't want him.  He did want a new goalie, none that he wanted were avail in Jan, so was waiting until Summer.

We had been trying to speak to Gordon for quite a while pre-Stendel, and Celtic were being dicks.

For the record, I really liked Daniel Stendel and was excited about what he was going to do with us.  I think he'd have kept us up and the next season would have been great fun, (if not for covid obviously!).  But there's simply no denying his insistence on playing Perreira had us bottom of the league.  If Bobby had played instead, we wouldn't have been.  So many games we were the better team, controlling the game, that twat threw one in and the game changed in an instant.  He must have directly cost us double-figure points.  Bobby ain't amazing, but he may have cost us less than half that.

Also the other faults in Daniel's system etc wouldn't have been highlighted half as much if we didn't have a goalie with chocolate wrists and the heart of a mouse.  It's fair to say the majority of the goals we lost were down directly to him not making an easy save or the defence being so shit scared and nervous of him -it created panic - you could see it.

This was his biggest mistake.  See 1min 45s into this interview - https://heartstv.heartsfc.co.uk/video/2475.  I remember thinking at that point that it could really cost us and it played out that way.

1 minute ago, DC_92 said:

Lee gone. That's out of the blue.

Just saw and thought the same. Quite random.

Must have faith in Irving or has plans for someone coming in. Or god forbid he thinks Haring and Halliday can play in the same midfield.

jamboinglasgow

Surprised by that, though if its family reasons that understandable. Also Robbie confirms that Lee is not staying at the end of the season.

Happy with lee is crap, on decent money so use that to bring someone in. I’d rather give chances to younger players than persevere with guys that we know aren’t good enough 

43 minutes ago, Ainsley Harriott said:

lets go all out and get Cameron, Hartley, Skacel and robbo out too

You would think someone else will come in. I've always felt he didn't contribute enough but he was good for an assist and seems a good guy.

Kind of excited that we've freed up some space.

As an aside I love the fact things like this come out of the blue, throws the whole ITK community and its backers and detractors into disarray. Popcorn times.

Edited by BackOfTheNet

58 minutes ago, Cruyff said:

Stewart from Dingwall fits the bill as well 

Just now, CJGJ said:

Creating space for the return of Damour to the first team squad

Haha. 😀. Many a true word said in jest. 

Lee’s departure a bolt from the blue though. 

A_A wehatethehibs

That’s a surprise, thought he’d be here till summer but good luck and thanks for the hard work Olly. Always gave 100% and never hid, just fell a bit short. For me we needed to change things in that position. I want to see Haring replaced as well. There has to be someone coming in now surely. 

Just now, soonbe110 said:

Stewart from Dingwall fits the bill as well 

I agree, he absolutely does. He'd be a handy addition to the squad but I don't know whether he'd be a first XI player in a top 4 Hearts team. Certainly do a job just now however. 

• davemclaren changed the title to January transfer window (Olly Lee goes on Loan - updated)

Not disappointed with this. Liked Lee but prefer Irving and irving is better imo. Need a decent box to box to compliment as haring is a CB and too slow and Haliday.... Well he's a bit pish. If we can't get a box to box just give mcgill a chance

• davemclaren changed the title to January transfer window ( Now closed )