January transfer window ( Now closed )

kingantti1874

2 minutes ago, wavydavy said:

I think Uche was more lumbering and less skillful than this guy, Having said that this is only from reading the media so we will only know for sure once we have signed him and watch him actually play. He may be cheaper than Uche was as well.

That's my initial impression too - a skinner, quicker Uche (and an inch taller haha)... 

The big man was on a decent wage here and we couldn't turn down the chance of getting a transfer fee AND getting him off the wage bill given the situation we were in. I'm guessing he's jumped at the chance to go back down there too as he's from that sort of area and was always straight back down there any time we had a break in fixtures. He also wasn't very happy up here after Stendel basically told him to do one. 

• Replies 11.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Pasquale for King

• GinRummy

• Cruyff

• Lord Beni of Gorgie

Trouble is if we were after a guy who bangs them in left right and center a lot of clubs would be after him and he would probably be out of our price range, there is a certain market we have to operate in and yes take a chance. 

6 minutes ago, jamle1874 said:

Here’s link to the boys goals upto date had to do it on google drive as YouTube takes it down for copyright

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1xZ74FyISn9ypmnL-aGA5wmZ3QQTaVs74/view?usp=drivesdk

Good mix of clips there.  Good finishes, decent hold up play and good lay offs followed up by him making the run to space to receive the return.  A prospect for sure.

Just now, Turkishcap said:

Trouble is if we were after a guy who bangs them in left right and center a lot of clubs would be after him and he would probably be out of our price range, there is a certain market we have to operate in and yes take a chance. 

Hopefully the lad will score 20+ and sell him on for a massive profit. Speculate to accumulate. 

Saw him play against Port Vale last year and he was the standout striker on the pitch, FWIW.

Haven't seen him this year but Walsall fans reckon he's really kicked on recently.

2 minutes ago, tazhearts said:

Brilliant. Thanks for putting that together.

Some good finishes and habit of being in the right place at the right time. Hopefully he'll go on to be our Adabayor 🙏

A couple of things, players recently from the lower reaches of English game who did ok here

Doidge - Forest Green

Moult - Wrexham to Motherwell 

Billy McKay - Released by Northampton and picked up and ended up doing better than most of our strikers since Robbo

Someone mentioned Max Watters on here. Released by Doncaster and 6 months later getting a big money move. 

Let’s just wait and see before people write him off

Pasquale for King
7 hours ago, Tazio said:

He’s also playing at Walsall who are 11th in league 2. Unplayable in league 2 but how often is his day? Interestingly Wikipedia says he has played at centre half. Sounds like a Kevin McKenna bit of thinking. 

Levein type of signing then? 
I suppose we will need to trust them on it if he’s the guy they want. 

AllyjamboDerbyshire
Just now, jamle1874 said:

Here’s link to the boys goals upto date had to do it on google drive as YouTube takes it down for copyright

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1xZ74FyISn9ypmnL-aGA5wmZ3QQTaVs74/view?usp=drivesdk

What impressed me most with his goals was the fact there's a fair proportion of tap ins there. That's what I look for when watching goal compilations of a striker. Also close in headers from open play I see as a good sign. Of course, he will have missed a whole load of sitters that we don't see, but at least he appears to be prepared to get into the position to score and isn't afraid of getting pelters for any misses.

40 minutes ago, jamle1874 said:

From that video it looks like he is far more comfortable and natural with a ball at his feet than Uche ever was. 

Gimme an H...
41 minutes ago, jamle1874 said:

Can finish with both feet and his head then. Good. 

Will be a handful. 

2 minutes ago, AllyjamboDerbyshire said:

What impressed me most with his goals was the fact there's a fair proportion of tap ins there. That's what I look for when watching goal compilations of a striker. Also close in headers from open play I see as a good sign. Of course, he will have missed a whole load of sitters that we don't see, but at least he appears to be prepared to get into the position to score and isn't afraid of getting pelters for any misses.

Same. I like a striker who can be in the right place at the right time and to show some composure to be able to slot these chances home. 

Pasquale for King
1 hour ago, wavydavy said:

Do they put subtitles up?

Hahahahaha they shud like coz naebudy south o Berwick speak leef like buddy. 

36 minutes ago, Turkishcap said:

As much as Robbie will be looking for any new striler to be scoring goals that is not the only thing he wants.

A big quick striker partnering Boyce up front is going to create space for Boyce who has tended to be isolated so far this season because we haven't had the right type of player to play alongside him.

This is of course assuming Robbie opts to play the two of them together which I hope he would.

2 minutes ago, Batistuta87 said:

Same. I like a striker who can be in the right place at the right time and to show some composure to be able to slot these chances home. 

I also like the fact that he seems to be two footed as well.

Samuel Camazzola
1 hour ago, Jambo54 said:

Christian Doidge. Forrest Green Rovers

TBF, he is pish. He went on a run last year but he is far from a good forward. A lot of his goals were sclaffs and mid-hits and he was proved to be very wasteful. As a positive, he has a knack of getting into good positions but quite a few Hibs fans seem to have got fed up with him. 

AllyjamboDerbyshire
Just now, Batistuta87 said:

He looks like he's often the first man into the box which is what I like to see from a striker. A big lad like him would surely cause a lot of confusion in the box if he's in there early creating loose balls for, say, Boyce and Naismith to turn in and Irving and others to come on to any headed clearances. He looks quite brave, too.

Half a season in the Championship might serve him well before the larger step up to the Premiership so getting him in now might well give us a better player next season.

1 minute ago, Famous 1874 said:

Walsall are ****ed here. Either they take what they are offered by us now, otherwise we’ll sign him on a free in the summer. 

This assumes we are the only club remotely interested. Let’s talk to him, get him signed on a pre contract, and THEN they’ll have to take our offer or have him leave for nothing.

1 hour ago, Cruyff said:

Indeed. Again, probably because their lower expectations and their budget dictates their need to do so, outweighs the risk. 

We had a set up through there but closed it down.

12 minutes ago, AllyjamboDerbyshire said:

He looks like he's often the first man into the box which is what I like to see from a striker. A big lad like him would surely cause a lot of confusion in the box if he's in there early creating loose balls for, say, Boyce and Naismith to turn in and Irving and others to come on to any headed clearances. He looks quite brave, too.

Half a season in the Championship might serve him well before the larger step up to the Premiership so getting him in now might well give us a better player next season.

Definitely 👍

This, along with the noise coming from the Walsall support who seem to be quite gutted about losing him, saying he'll do well etc, is encouraging. Hopefully we can get a deal done. 

33 minutes ago, NANOJAMBO said:

"There's only one Elijah Anuoluwapo Oluwaferanmi Oluwatomi Oluwalana Ayomikulehin Adebayo" 

Have you actually verified that? Sure I know one.

Theres the Anuoluwapo Oluwaferanmi Oluwatomi Oluwalanas Ayomikulehin Adebayos fi Tranent.

Not sure if they have an Elijah mind.

20 minutes ago, 5-1Jambo said:

Looks a big unit with decent feet. Nnot sure he gas a lot of pace. 

Think he looks quite quick for his size. He's got the sort of build that Lukaku had in his West Brom days. 

20 minutes ago, JimmyCant said:

This assumes we are the only club remotely interested. Let’s talk to him, get him signed on a pre contract, and THEN they’ll have to take our offer or have him leave for nothing.

This would be my move also.

Also means he's more likely to put pressure on from inside.

fabienleclerq
35 minutes ago, Fraggle said:

From that video it looks like he is far more comfortable and natural with a ball at his feet than Uche ever was. 

He can play a five yard pass so it's already an upgrade. 

26 minutes ago, 5-1Jambo said:

Looks a big unit with decent feet. Nnot sure he gas a lot of pace. 

Tell you what, for a big guy most of his goals are poacher type ones which is a good thing along with j his strength and power to create for others. 

Pasquale for King
1 hour ago, Pans Jambo said:

Correct. I give you "the wizard" that is Craig Wighton as a fine example of that.

Dundee were in the same league when we signed him. 

1 hour ago, jamle1874 said:

Decent watch

A 6-yard box striker, which we are crying out for.

I have posted many times that I thought Boyce would be this, but he wants to be involve Harry Kane style.

"A Levein type signing"

Yes, Levein is the only manager in football to sign tall strikers.

Any chance we can look forwards and not backwards?

will wait to see him play before passing judgement if we do sign him, seen us sign enough dead cert quality signings who turned out pish to last a lifetime 

Mr Brightside
2 hours ago, Cruyff said:

Mike Galloway. ****ing hell, I was about a month old when we signed him. Anyone else in the last 30 years? :laugh2:

Michael Smith was playing League 1 in England.

1 hour ago, Agentjambo said:

I think this is encouraging. Given his contract situation we have presumably spoken to him and had some indication that he's interested. Being optimistic we may have already agreed rough terms on a pre contract and are now asking Walsall about the possibility of getting him this month rather than the summer.

Lord Beni of Gorgie
23 minutes ago, Barack said:

Cosgrove didn't exactly inspire at Carlisle or at Aberdeen initially.

That's true and had been picked up originally by a Premier club. 

Sometimes takes a while for taller players to learn their body and brush off awkward movements 

1 hour ago, Gimme an H... said:

Can finish with both feet and his head then. Good. 

Will be a handful. 

Perfect hat-tricks coming up then 

3 minutes ago, Homme said:

May as well send Ginnelly back to England's lower leagues too. 

Might as well the boy can’t get a game for Preston so obviously not good enough for us 

people need to calm down boy might be good might not thats the same for everybody when getting players look at Duffy at Celtic I thought that was a really good player and what they needed and he’s been a complete huddy 

For the last few years many on here have rightly complained that we do not use the lower English leagues for signings, sighting Motherwell and Aberdeen as the prime examples. Now we are doing what they complained about and they are complaining. Unreal.

Pasquale for King
19 minutes ago, Mr Brightside said:

Michael Smith was playing League 1 in England.

He’s now playing in the Championship in Scotland 😆

Pasquale for King
1 minute ago, David Black said:

For the last few years many on here have rightly complained that we do not use the lower English leagues for signings, sighting Motherwell and Aberdeen as the prime examples. Now we are doing what they complained about and they are complaining. Unreal.

Hahahahaha fair point 😂

2 hours ago, Batistuta87 said:

Assume you're talking about Roberts and Frear, whom I agree have been utter pish at doing this. Ginnelly is still sort of finding his feet I think, but he has done well getting down the line and getting it into the box. GMS has played about 20mins but historically has been this type of player too. Smith and Kinglsey also like to get forward and do the same. Irving puts some dangerous balls in from set-pieces...

If he can attack the ball in the box, and if he can wrestle with defenders, he'll do alright. He certainly has the physical attributes we're screaming out for right now. Whether or not he has the technical ability of course remains to be seen.  Normally when we're linked with a striker I look at their goals v appearances and am normally pretty underwhelmed to see they're scoring at a rate of a goal every 9-10 games or something. This lad, while still young and with less than 100 pro appearances to his name, is sitting at 1 in 4. 

Rather than "doing an Uche", I'd much prefer he held them off, within the rules and using his strength and physique effectively.   :thumbsup:

Pasquale for King
9 minutes ago, Kyle1874 said:

Might as well the boy can’t get a game for Preston so obviously not good enough for us 

people need to calm down boy might be good might not thats the same for everybody when getting players look at Duffy at Celtic I thought that was a really good player and what they needed and he’s been a complete huddy 

You’re right about Duffy, I thought too. I think it shows that CHs can look much better with their team sitting on their own 18 yard line, Halkett being another example. 

5 minutes ago, David Black said:

No one's complained about it though. 

Pasquale for King

Since we gave someone the SD job who has a great knowledge of the lower leagues in England, and the wage cap in L1&2, and Brexit, we were always likely to signing players from down there for the next while anyway. 

• davemclaren changed the title to January transfer window ( Now closed )