January transfer window ( Now closed )

kingantti1874

1 hour ago, Weakened Offender said:

Give it up FFS 

It was tongue in cheek, but honestly, January is a brutal window when you're trying to fill in an important position - no one is letting their top players leave, and anyone who is available is probably not really worth touching. Lafferty has fallen into our lap, he's 33 and not in a position to really dictate terms, I think a deal to the end of the season makes a hell of a lot of sense as Boyce is injured and Wighton.. the less said the better. Lafferty comes in for 6 months, offers us an actual goal threat and tries to win a year long extension. If he does great, if he doesn't we should still have the resources to win this league. Lets not forget the impact of Covid on cashflow too, we don't exactly have heaps coming in money wise, so surely a free transfer for a known quantity ticks all the boxes?

I'm not really sure what the aversion is to it?

I do really think its a deal that suits everyone. and irrespective of next season, do we believe Kyle Lafferty, Northern Ireland internationalist, who has played in the Champions league, Euros, World Cup, EPL and Championship and across the continent could score goals in the Scottish Championship? The answer is yes, obviously. 

• Replies 11.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Pasquale for King

• GinRummy

• Cruyff

• Lord Beni of Gorgie

Weakened Offender
1 minute ago, OTT said:

It was tongue in cheek, but honestly, January is a brutal window when you're trying to fill in an important position - no one is letting their top players leave, and anyone who is available is probably not really worth touching. Lafferty has fallen into our lap, he's 33 and not in a position to really dictate terms, I think a deal to the end of the season makes a hell of a lot of sense as Boyce is injured and Wighton.. the less said the better. Lafferty comes in for 6 months, offers us an actual goal threat and tries to win a year long extension. If he does great, if he doesn't we should still have the resources to win this league. Lets not forget the impact of Covid on cashflow too, we don't exactly have heaps coming in money wise, so surely a free transfer for a known quantity ticks all the boxes?

I'm not really sure what the aversion is to it?

I do really think its a deal that suits everyone. and irrespective of next season, do we believe Kyle Lafferty, Northern Ireland internationalist, who has played in the Champions league, Euros, World Cup, EPL and Championship and across the continent could score goals in the Scottish Championship? The answer is yes, obviously. 

Fair enough. 

I'd rather we signed a younger, hungrier striker. 

5 minutes ago, Weakened Offender said:

Fair enough. 

I'd rather we signed a younger, hungrier striker. 

Me too. I would think he’ll do well in the championship but we will win it without him. 

1 hour ago, Bongo 1874 said:

You know I'm going to be honest saying this, you know the one thing i think Stendel got wrong during his time at us? Was not signing a guy like lafferty who could get you a goal, out of nothing and as much as I'm negative towards Robbie, I don't believe he is naive to the fact he needs goals, in the team for us to go up and Kyles the man, to give us that option for Boyce if things aren't working. 

That’s the ONLY thing he got wrong. 😂😂😂😂

kingantti1874
58 minutes ago, BackOfTheNet said:

I “downplay” Lafferty because he isn’t as good as some make him out to be. The fact he has a worse goals to game ratio than Isma and people never want Isma back is curious to me. (I don’t want either of them back, for the record) So I hope that I wouldn’t be classed a bigot in this scenario as my opinion of Lafferty is purely down to his footballing ability.

Yes I have separate views regarding certain fans who happen to be uber fanboys of Lafferty for non footballing reasons, but that’s not political as much as it is observational.

I haven’t watched many hearts strikers able to excute the goals the lafferty scored for hearts. You can argue he should have scored more - but ability ? He sure as hell wasn’t lacking ability !!

ps - isma didn’t really have a better ratio unless you are being selective. 20 goals in 31 starts and 9 sub appearances . 1 in 2

Arthur Morgan
5 minutes ago, Homme said:

Pointless signing Lafferty when we are going to piss the league anyway.

And I really like him. 

Could be a key player for us in the 2021 Scottish Cup!

Lord Beni of Gorgie
1 hour ago, Ainsley Harriott said:

So theres no actual transfer rumours to they've just invented one.

Lafferty is a free agent again, released, a morsel 

13 minutes ago, Arthur Morgan said:

Could be a key player for us in the 2021 Scottish Cup!

Very true, we came so painfully close and I think had we had a more like for like replacement with Boyce we’d likely be sitting with a Scottish cup filled to the brim with Lennons tears! 

Time for the lets sign Lafferty again posts once more I see

Once more no thanks

His time is over and thanks for the memories but that's all they should be memories

3 minutes ago, CJGJ said:

Time for the lets sign Lafferty again posts once more I see

Once more no thanks

His time is over and thanks for the memories but that's all they should be memories

Would give us the insurance to go up.

33 minutes ago, kingantti1874 said:

I haven’t watched many hearts strikers able to excute the goals the lafferty scored for hearts. You can argue he should have scored more - but ability ? He sure as hell wasn’t lacking ability !!

ps - isma didn’t really have a better ratio unless you are being selective. 20 goals in 31 starts and 9 sub appearances . 1 in 2

Isma scored once every 203 league minutes, Lafferty every 212. Very close, but Isma's is slightly better. Velička was better still - once every 180 minutes.

Lafferty also made 48 appearances for us, rather than 40.

Edited by DC_92

Howdy Doody Jambo

There will not be many options in January for an international striker with experience such as Kyle, you know what you're getting with him with his share goals A short term deal until the end of the season to see how it goes with the incentive if he does well then another year could be offered 

It would be an upgrade on the Wighton option 

Berra than you

Liked Lafferty last time but would like to go for a younger player we can develop and improve. I think that's what the club are likely looking for also. If for whatever reason that's not manageable this window then Lafferty at the right price on a short term deal would be worth exploring.

7 minutes ago, D4nny_ said:

We could get a striker in right now if we wanted but it's not going to be the one we want. It’s about getting the right striker in.”

I wonder if he’s referring to anyone in particular, in terms of strikers we could have but don’t want.

A_A wehatethehibs
4 minutes ago, D4nny_ said:

Reading very much between the lines of this quote “we could get a striker right now but it wouldn’t be the one we want” sounds like that is Lafferty ruled out.

Some will be happy, others disappointed with that. Interested to see who we get. If we end up getting nobody and we’ve passed on Lafferty, Neilson will take a huge amount of stick.

8 minutes ago, A_A wehatethehibs said:

Reading very much between the lines of this quote “we could get a striker right now but it wouldn’t be the one we want” sounds like that is Lafferty ruled out.

Some will be happy, others disappointed with that. Interested to see who we get. If we end up getting nobody and we’ve passed on Lafferty, Neilson will take a huge amount of stick.

He will not receive stick

Fans will clearly understand quality before quantity

Except the Lafferty fan club of course who are a couple of years behind the real world forgetting time moves on

I love Lafferty. He gave us some of our happiest memories of recent times, but I’m not sure I’d take him back. Easy for him to get up for the big games but seems to have trouble motivating himself for the smaller games v diddie teams. Given the championship opponents I’m unsure if he would be the answer. On the fence with him

2 hours ago, BackOfTheNet said:

Well he has a point. In the same timeframe at the club Isma actually has a better goals per game ratio than Lafferty. And he actually assisted, which Lafferty failed to do. Isma like Lafferty should not be uttered in the same breath as Robbo, but to say Lafferty is miles ahead of Isma isn’t really backed up by the facts (stats).

I was excited when Isma signed. Not so much for Lafferty. Both were selfish players.

However, watching them play, Lafferty easily justified his presence and scored memorable goal time after time. 

Isma's time here, I can barely recall at all.

A_A wehatethehibs
6 minutes ago, CJGJ said:

He will not receive stick

Fans will clearly understand quality before quantity

Except the Lafferty fan club of course who are a couple of years behind the real world forgetting time moves on

We’ll see, he has stated publicly that he feels he needs a striker and if we now leave this window with nothing you know full well what will happen. Boyce will get injured the day after the transfer window shuts, and Laff will have signed for the team that we draw in the cup. 

As long as we sign someone better than Lafferty nobody will be fussed, and it’ll be full credit to Robbie. 

Edited by A_A wehatethehibs

portobellojambo1

I think the main problem with players coming back is memories are based on how they did for us when originally with us. I liked Lafferty, but like many I think maybe it is time to think of someone new to come in, because if he fails to perform to the same level or better than he did previously he will soon know that from the crowd reaction. I still remember I was so looking forward to Neil McCann coming back to HMFC, because during his original spell with us he was a player who I really enjoyed watching. But I quite quickly lost connection with him on his return as he just didn't have that ability to drift past defenders as if they weren't there any more. I actually think getting a striker this time round might not be as easy as it seems, one of the things often mentioned on here is it would be best to bring in someone with experience of Scottish football, and maybe it is just me but there are no strikers presently playing in Scotland whose names pop up as someone I'd love to see playing for HMFC. For those coming towards the end of their career (outfield players) I accept that they would be good in the Championship to help less experienced players. But we really need to be preparing now for returning to the top division, and a younger striker, with more time on his side is probably what we need to be looking at, to help create a team that can and will compete strongly once we are back up.

I think its a natural reaction from fans to want someone successful to return, as a club we havent had too many success stories in past decade up front in particular, he gave us some fond memories in short time and was a character. 

When you throw in some of the unknown tripe on 4 year deals then it's easy to understand why folk want a player that they know what there getting.

Other factors to consider too, Brexit, the days of signing some unknown Dutch striker are over I'm afraid, if we want to sign foreign talent they will need to have some pedigree and international caps for their age group.

And finally we're in a lower league, although we have the funds to compete with the top teams in Scotland we can't get too picky when plying our trade in a lower league.

37 minutes ago, BackOfTheNet said:

We could get a striker in right now if we wanted but it's not going to be the one we want. It’s about getting the right striker in.”

I wonder if he’s referring to anyone in particular, in terms of strikers we could have but don’t want.

35 minutes ago, A_A wehatethehibs said:

I was thinking the very same thing!

The comments in the EEN article from savage are interesting, Just a guess but I think we have potentially someone better than lafferty lined up as a target, Whether we can sign this target or not might be the difficult part? This is getting very interesting now. 

Guest ToqueJambo

Lafferty was great for us but he's not exactly a target man is he, which is what Neilson says he's after? He's not renowned for his hold-up play or for getting on the end of crosses to score headers, which sees to be one of the criteria for a new striker.

3 hours ago, DH1986 said:

Next time read it 🙈

The Jambos reportedly had an approach for the Scotland international rejected by Celtic, who are keen to hang on to him as back up for Fraser Forster.

Edited by Bongo 1874

2 hours ago, BackOfTheNet said:

This is good to hear as before we'd have signed any auld lump of wood if his wyscout video looked decent. 

I know Lafferty isn’t everyone’s cup of tea but based on Doncaster’s latest outpourings, on a 6 month deal, he might be a sensible option. 

If, and god forbid, they push the nuclear button and null and void season, there’s a good chance we are going to be in 2nd tier for another season. 

January needs to be sensible until we see how this plays out

Just listening to the Scarves Around the Funnel podcast, Mark Donaldson had messaged Robbie asking about Lafferty, Robbie replied 'not for us'. Apparently linked with Hamilton.

Ainsley Harriott
1 hour ago, Wish said:

Just listening to the Scarves Around the Funnel podcast, Mark Donaldson had messaged Robbie asking about Lafferty, Robbie replied 'not for us'. Apparently linked with Hamilton.

That was a waste of a 10 page debate then 😂😂😂

kingantti1874
10 hours ago, DC_92 said:

Isma scored once every 203 league minutes, Lafferty every 212. Very close, but Isma's is slightly better. Velička was better still - once every 180 minutes.

Lafferty also made 48 appearances for us, rather than 40.

You can’t ignore goals in the cup, then include them in appearances.. 

Bazzas right boot

Lafferty had his worse games v the lesser teams. 

With us in the championship, that is my biggest concern. 

We won't be playing, Aberdeen, Celtic, Hibs and rangers much this season. 

I think he enjoyed the cameras and getting one over certain teams as opposed to doing his best for us  and knuckling down. 

His motivation imo wasn't to do the best for us but to get a few goals v Celtic, get media and fan attention and on the back of that get a last chance to impress in Govan. 

No fans, less or no big games, no chance of a move to his heroes means we'll get the Lafferty that turned up in the lesser games for us most of the time. 

I also think he'll be a destructive influence within the squad and unbalance the team spirit 

We'll also win the league without him. 

I can't see Robbie going for him. 

Edited by Smith's right boot

7 hours ago, Bongo 1874 said:

Next time read it 🙈

The Jambos reportedly had an approach for the Scotland international rejected by Celtic, who are keen to hang on to him as back up for Fraser Forster.

"My feeling is we don't need a goalkeeper at the moment,” said Stendel. “We said we're looking for offensive players and Joel played well in the last games. 

I really think you should have read it Bongo.....

LarrysRightFoot

Not Hearts related but rumour is Aberdeen are after Murray and Turner from Dunfermline. Both out of contract in the summer - so might be pre-contracts. 

Dr. Sheldon Cooper
25 minutes ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

Was Lafferty good for us? Yes

Do I like him? Yes

Is he a "Hearts Hero"? Is he **** :lol:

Pretty much this.

Good to see we are really exploring our options and trying to get the best striker we can get.

1 hour ago, XB52 said:

Seen some ridiculous posts on here but to label Lafferty a Hearts hero really does take the biscuit. 

Genuinely insulting to proper Hearts heroes.

Would never describe Lafferty as a hero but did a job for us.

We are light up front and an injury to Boyce would IMO leave us struggling. 

We need someone for next 6 months and KL fits bill. Either that or we go down the loan route for a striker which hasn’t worked out too well for us in past. 

I don’t doubt that whenever the season is ended we will be top but the ever increasing spectre that the season may be called and called as null and void means that longer term recruiting needs to be put in back burner. Most clubs will not be looking to sign in pre contracts as they are all in a financial unknown. We shouldn’t look to bring in a load of players in pre contract who may not want to play in 2nd tier or who we can’t afford 

8 hours ago, Cruyff said:

This is good to hear as before we'd have signed any auld lump of wood if his wyscout video looked decent. 

Let's no get too carried away here.....It might still be any auld lump of wood we sign.....How long did it take to get Vanachek (spell ?) signed again? 

18 minutes ago, HillmanHearts said:

Neither Lafferty or Cummings are the type of striker that Robbie is looking for right now - pretty simple really.

He most certainly not looking at Cummings. He is nothing like the strong target man who can bring others into play that RN has stated he is after. To a lesser degree, neither is Lafferty.

• davemclaren changed the title to January transfer window ( Now closed )