January transfer window ( Now closed )

kingantti1874

1 hour ago, BackOfTheNet said:

What Lafferty has done before and after his time with us means it’s a no from me. Also, other than being tall he does not fit Neilson’s description whatsoever. He certainly can’t hold up play or win headers. As well as the above he apparently had to mollycoddled by MacPhee and Levein, so not sure what use he'd be under the current management. Saying that, he did play with Lee McCulloch.

Agree with the bit about holding the ball up.  This seems to be what Robbie is looking for and I don’t remember lafferty being very good at that 

• Replies 11.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Pasquale for King

• GinRummy

• Cruyff

• Lord Beni of Gorgie

3 minutes ago, Muirhead said:

Agree with the bit about holding the ball up.  This seems to be what Robbie is looking for and I don’t remember lafferty being very good at that 

Don't think he ever needed to because he just turned and rattled it towards goal if he couldn't move it forward 😂

Absolute joy to have him at Hearts the last time. I genuinely hope we make him an offer. 

With regard Lafferty, it’s a solution that would work for both parties. Give him a 6 month deal to keep him fit for Euros and it gives us a different type of option up front. 

The thing with Lafferty is that he could create a bit of space and score from outside the box as well as scoring inside the box. He offers us something different to what we have at present. 

People need to realise that our options with regard a striker in this window are limited and until we know that we are going to get promoted we’re unlikely to be making a raft load of signings. We need to keep in mind that if they terminate the season, there is no guarantee that there will be promotion or relegation.

It leaves us with looking at either a free agent like Lafferty or taking a punt on a loan signing and ending up with an N’Goo or Dauda type player. 

I don’t care that he’s a raving Rangers supporter. His last time here suited both parties. He wanted a big money move and we got someone who chipped in with goals. We all knew he was never going to stay and we did get a decent chunk of change in a fee for him. 

A 6 month deal suits us both

If we could be guaranteed a fully fit Moult. Different story. Bringing Moult in would be a massive gamble

Edited by merseyjambo

Just now, Hashimoto said:

Lafferty or Wighton leading the line.?????

Do we really need to start a poll on this one?

Agree. Him and Boyce know each other well💁‍♂️

Just now, Hashimoto said:

Lafferty or Wighton leading the line.?????

Do we really need to start a poll on this one?

If it’s Lafferty or no other striker in I’d think most folk would choose lafferty. A few posters, me included, would like to see someone a bit younger come in 

Pasquale for King
2 minutes ago, merseyjambo said:

With regard Lafferty, it’s a solution that would work for both parties. Give him a 6 month deal to keep him fit for Euros and it gives us a different type of option up front. 

The thing with Lafferty is that he could create a bit of space and score from outside the box as well as scoring inside the box. He offers us something different to what we have at present. 

People need to realise that our options with regard a striker in this window are limited and until we know that we are going to get promoted we’re unlikely to be making a raft load of signings. We need to keep in mind that if they terminate the season, there is no guarantee that there will be promotion or relegation.

It leaves us with looking at either a free agent like Lafferty or taking a punt on a loan signing and ending up with an N’Goo or Dauda type player. 

I don’t care that he’s a raving Rangers supporter. His last time here suited both parties. He wanted a big money move and we got someone who chipped in with goals. We all knew he was never going to stay and we did get a decent chunk of change in a fee for him. 

A 6 month deal suits us both

Why would he need to be fit for the Euros 😜?

A 6 month deal would be fine, might need to get Macphee to come and give him cuddle once a week. 

3 hours ago, Madjambo21 said:

As long as it's not back here I'm good 😏

To be fair he did pick up under Stendal but not good enough for the Jam tarts

I’d take him back and play him out wide on the right. 

18Jambo_dave74

Not fussed either way regarding Lafferty - deal till the end of the season wouldn’t be the worst. Wouldn’t really want anything longer than that though, team is in need of pace and energy right across the park.

Lafferty for 6 months?

Plusses = Knows the club

Scored a hatful in a better league

Benefits him

Isnt injured 

Minuses - Encourages a “certain type” of Hearts fan (Although we ain’t gonna be at Tyney again this season)

Moult makes more sense but is more of a risk

Wouldnt say no to be honest 

2 minutes ago, Jamhammer said:

Lafferty for 6 months?

Plusses = Knows the club

Scored a hatful in a better league

Benefits him

Isnt injured 

Minuses - Encourages a “certain type” of Hearts fan (Although we ain’t gonna be at Tyney again this season)

Moult makes more sense but is more of a risk

Wouldnt say no to be honest 

I don’t see the minus as a minus. We would be letting a bunch of daft tea towel wavers influence a signing decision if the club factored that in. That just isn’t on 

2 minutes ago, GinRummy said:

I don’t see the minus as a minus. We would be letting a bunch of daft tea towel wavers influence a signing decision if the club factored that in. That just isn’t on 

If Robbie thinks he can do what’s required I’m not averse

Bazzas right boot
3 hours ago, JimmyCant said:

I’d say it’s not too hard to have a guess at, which is a world away from pretend ing to know

Yeah, agreed. 

2 minutes ago, Jamhammer said:

If Robbie thinks he can do what’s required I’m not averse

I’m not averse exactly. I just don’t really see the point. He’s too old and I don’t really believe he’s what we need next season. We need another striker but 6 month deal? No thanks, and as I say I’d be looking for better next year. 

1 hour ago, BelgeJambo said:

FFS get a grip

Lafferty couldn’t run to Ibrox quick enough and sit on their bench for the bucks.  
Budge pays his gambling debts off and that’s how high he holds the club.

He can go rot in Turkey or some tin pot league in the far east 

Agreed, wouldn't touch him with a barge pole. Plus useless in the air and even Stockton's hold up play was better. The goals against Celtic and Hibs are clouding peoples judgement.

Lafferty would absolutely bang them in at our level, As others have said would take him on a short term deal but no more than 18 month contact.

Bazzas right boot
2 hours ago, Rick Sanchez said:

Is Calum Butcher injured? He's not been in a squad since boxing day. 

Not that I want him btw!

Probably injured himself. 

Looked in the mirror and tackled it, at knee height. 

Bazzas right boot
2 hours ago, kingantti1874 said:

no brainer. Best forward we have had since robbo.. 

Boyce is better. 

Far more consistent. 

Lafferty scored some great goals but was utter garbage in many games as well. 

Folk have short memories. 

Edited by Smith's right boot

Bazzas right boot
1 hour ago, johnking123 said:

Laf is 33. Would only do till end of the season. Got to get some younger players in. To many 30+ at the moment for my liking!! 

1 hour ago, GinRummy said:

I’m pretty much here as well.  33 years old.  We need to be unearthing younger players to compliment the older pros. It’s pace and hunger for success I want.  

Age is irrelevant. 

Lafferty on 18 months would be a good addition, he's far from a world beater and we've had better strikers since robbo for the record, but he's a very good player for where we're at and a big game player which we do love at hearts

3 minutes ago, Smith's right boot said:

Age is irrelevant. 

Is Lafferty a serious consideration ?

Ignoring other reasons for not signing him , what would be the point ?

Surely we are looking to build for next season

Still don't see why we need a striker this window when we have Boyce, Naismith and Wighton with Henderson, Roberts, Ginnelly and Mackay-Steven all options up front if required.

Lafferty isn't required and would be a backward step. For some reason Hearts seem incapable of signing strikers like Shankland and Nisbet when we have the chance. Young goalscorers who can either stay for years and become club legends or be sold on for millions. 

Bazzas right boot
17 minutes ago, johnthomas said:

Is Lafferty a serious consideration ?

Ignoring other reasons for not signing him , what would be the point ?

Surely we are looking to build for next season

I think any signings should have next and the season after in mind. 

Don't see the point in short term deals for this season. 

Edited by Smith's right boot

Bazzas right boot
7 minutes ago, gnasher75 said:

Still don't see why we need a striker this window when we have Boyce, Naismith and Wighton with Henderson, Roberts, Ginnelly and Mackay-Steven all options up front if required.

Lafferty isn't required and would be a backward step. For some reason Hearts seem incapable of signing strikers like Shankland and Nisbet when we have the chance. Young goalscorers who can either stay for years and become club legends or be sold on for millions. 

What Scottish clubs and how many times has a young goal scorer become a legend or sold for millions?

How many times has this happened in the past 5/6 years for a Scottish club outside the of? 

Dykes? 

Sow? 

Under the floodlight

Lafferty,that would be a no from me, he mostly scores from counter attacking phases of play,in this division we are trying to beak down tight defences.

IMO I would prefer we brought in a a player who can open up a tight defence.

7 minutes ago, Smith's right boot said:

I think any signings should have next and the season after in mind. 

Don't see the point in short term deals for this season. 

Are you actually for real. We don’t know what league we will be in next season.

If they pull the plug on football and there is no promotion or relegation what happens. We over extend our budget next year on the thought that we get promoted. That’s just stupidity. Plus some of the players mentioned won’t want to be playing 2nd tier football.

The pre contract market is unlikely to warm up until most clubs know what is happening and what finances they will have for next year. Only clubs fairly certain to be playing top level football next year are Celtic, Rangers, Aberdeen and Hibs. The rest won’t know until March or April when league positions are more certain.

Lafferty is a short term fix until we know where we are. If they pull the plug in March with less than half games played, there would be good grounds to deny promotion and relegation. 

Your hero CL has already blown a good deal of money, let’s not blow what little we have left until we know where we are next year.

Wasn’t there something from the club recently about trying to gradually build a solid squad with a bit of longevity?

lafferty certainly turned up in the big games and is undoubtedly talented, but for every one of those matches there seemed to be lots of ‘smaller’ matches where he looked disinterested and was certainly off the boil

Agree with @gnasher75, club might be better getting some of the younger hungrier players who seem to pop up as prospects now and again. 
who knows though, perhaps they’ve tried

55 minutes ago, David Black said:

Agreed, wouldn't touch him with a barge pole. Plus useless in the air and even Stockton's hold up play was better. The goals against Celtic and Hibs are clouding peoples judgement.

Cole stockton was dreadful in every way.Lafferty was high maintenance but would bring goals,Sorry no comparison.

Bazzas right boot
6 minutes ago, merseyjambo said:

Are you actually for real. We don’t know what league we will be in next season.

If they pull the plug on football and there is no promotion or relegation what happens. We over extend our budget next year on the thought that we get promoted. That’s just stupidity. Plus some of the players mentioned won’t want to be playing 2nd tier football.

The pre contract market is unlikely to warm up until most clubs know what is happening and what finances they will have for next year. Only clubs fairly certain to be playing top level football next year are Celtic, Rangers, Aberdeen and Hibs. The rest won’t know until March or April when league positions are more certain.

Lafferty is a short term fix until we know where we are. If they pull the plug in March with less than half games played, there would be good grounds to deny promotion and relegation. 

Your hero CL has already blown a good deal of money, let’s not blow what little we have left until we know where we are next year.

WTF you on about, calm down to a panic. 

If we can't sign players with next season in mind then don't sign anyone. We'll win the league with what we've got. 

We  signed GMS, he's the type of signing we should be making. 

Signing a player on a 6 month deal imo is blowing money we don't need to spend. 

3 minutes ago, HMFSee said:

'Ex Ragners and Hearts striker Kyle Lafferty is available...' 😂Screenshot_20210112-223749_Chrome.thumb.jpg.90aa01b2ea539a66c4cc97c8c37235be.jpg

I'm more shocked that David Mitchell is manager of Reggina. 

1 minute ago, topsport said:

Sorry it’s been covered to death but I’m afraid I feel like we need a replacement for Berra pronto

You're probably right there. Could do with a quality Centerhalf. Liam Lindsay or Stuart Findlay fit the bill imo. 

1 minute ago, Cruyff said:

You're probably right there. Could do with a quality Centerhalf. Liam Lindsay or Stuart Findlay fit the bill imo. 

Yep 👍 

Much as I’d absolutely love us to sign a young goalscorer too, I think the defence needs prioritised sooner rather than later IMO 

For the record I would take Velicka over Lafferty any day of the week. One of the most under appreciated of our ex players.

Edit: Not now obviously, but comparing each of them in their prime and time at Hearts.

Edited by BackOfTheNet

12 minutes ago, BackOfTheNet said:

For the record I would take Velicka over Lafferty any day of the week. One of the most under appreciated of our ex players.

Edit: Not now obviously, but comparing each of them in their prime and time at Hearts.

19 goals from 47 matches. 

Sub4TiddlerMurray
4 hours ago, Newton51 said:

do you mean state aid? Tricky one as did come to an end when we left EU but there will be a new U.K. subsidy control in place

No, all government money has to be proscribed as they cannot by law (as I understand it) simply hand out unrestricted cash. So, I would expect the clubs will have to report what they spend the money on.

1 hour ago, GinRummy said:

The only guy that banged in around 20 goals, for hearts for years " take him back if injury free  he would score goals for fun, worth taking a chance.

16 minutes ago, Hungry hippo said:

I wouldn't be disappointed if we got Lafferty as he'd do a job although I'd hope we're aiming for better.

I'd take him back, better than other options we have. One thing I will say, it my be a quick conversation dependent on what their opinions are, but 100% his name will be discussed between JS and RN. 

Striker coming in this week and possibly a centre back on loan.

Striker is Scottish who has been playing in England. Don’t know more than that. 

Source is well connected at the club but not an employee. (Anymore 😩) and he wouldn’t tell me the name. 

46 minutes ago, davemclaren said:

19 goals from 47 matches. 

Yup. All league goals too, not to mention when first at the club a lot of those appearances were from off the bench. Sold for £1 million too.

11 minutes ago, JimmyCant said:

Striker coming in this week and possibly a centre back on loan.

Striker is Scottish who has been playing in England. Don’t know more than that. 

Source is well connected at the club but not an employee. (Anymore 😩) and he wouldn’t tell me the name. 

Oh christ, that’ll spark the Cummings rumours up. Like clockwork along with Lafferty. Every window. I’m only surprised Charlie Adam hasn’t been mentioned yet.

• davemclaren changed the title to January transfer window ( Now closed )