January transfer window ( Now closed )

kingantti1874

Pasquale for King
7 minutes ago, soonbe110 said:

Loans are difficult, especially if done pre-window, because it requires the players club to tell him they don’t really want him anymore. Also, at our level, loan fees and %age of wages clubs are prepared to pay are minimal. In a lot of cases no loan fees or wages payable as long as loanee plays every week 

Yeah it’s probably more likely to be a negotiation towards the end of the window, but the players usually realise they’re not in the plans. 

• Replies 11.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Pasquale for King

• GinRummy

• Cruyff

• Lord Beni of Gorgie

Pasquale for King
9 minutes ago, Billy Hoyle said:

He was absolutely spot on and well done to him for saying what he thinks. The fans will appreciate that. A player will never be fully committed when he knows he is away the following season. 👏🏻👏🏻

Exactly, that’s why I would be tempted to put in pre contract offers now to players we want in the summer, to cause as much disruption as possible. 

Dr. Sheldon Cooper
1 hour ago, Pasquale for King said:

Yeah fair point about Roberts and Frear, that makes it even worse. 
Popescu was from the dregs though. 
Im hoping we are going to be a bit more professional and do the work required to be signing someone ASAP in the January window from now on,  as many teams already have.

We hear continually about plans for the window but rarely sign anyone quickly, Vanacek aside obviously 🙄

I think Popescu was one that came about unexpectedly. He has had good games but you do get nervous watching him. 

I haven't seen many signings being announced, there's not that much activity early on in the window usually. Things normally pick up in the last fortnight or so. It could be a case that the players we have identified are willing to come, and the club we are getting them from are willing to deal with us but need to get a replacement in first.

There will be players we are in for who maybe haven't played a lot of football over the last 3/4 months, but their club may want them around as a squad option should they need it so can't commit to letting them go yet. They're usually the sorts of deals that go through late in the window.

52 minutes ago, Bad Religion said:

Zeefuik. 

Defo and Tony Watt back too.

Watt Zeefuik

Footnote:

Shamelessly stolen from a post from 5 years ago

Bazzas right boot
2 minutes ago, Tommy Brown said:

Defo and Tony Watt back too.

Watt Zeefuik

Footnote:

Shamelessly stolen from a post from 5 years ago

The irony was is that we said that a lot about other players. 

Pasquale for King
4 minutes ago, Dr. Sheldon Cooper said:

I think Popescu was one that came about unexpectedly. He has had good games but you do get nervous watching him. 

I haven't seen many signings being announced, there's not that much activity early on in the window usually. Things normally pick up in the last fortnight or so. It could be a case that the players we have identified are willing to come, and the club we are getting them from are willing to deal with us but need to get a replacement in first.

There will be players we are in for who maybe haven't played a lot of football over the last 3/4 months, but their club may want them around as a squad option should they need it so can't commit to letting them go yet. They're usually the sorts of deals that go through late in the window.

Looks like we will have to wait then. 

It will be a difficult window for many

Even the big clubs are making decisions not to do deals due to finance ie Liverpool/Bayern Munich or borrowing money £120 million Arsenal

For us......

Do we need to sign players to ensure we get promoted ?

If we do sign players they must be able to play in the league above...do we have the money available to do so ?

Would we be better off looking at players in the summer ?.....will players be more likely to sign when they know we have been promoted for example

Can we reduce the playing staff numbers ?

I think we know there are gaps in the squad that need to be filled but we have to ask do they need to be filled now

2 minutes ago, CJGJ said:

Even the big clubs are making decisions not to do deals due to finance ie Liverpool/Bayern Munich or borrowing money £120 million Arsenal

For us......

If we do sign players they must be able to play in the league above...do we have the money available to do so ?

Would we be better off looking at players in the summer ?.....will players be more likely to sign when they know we have been promoted for example

I think we know there are gaps in the squad that need to be filled but we have to ask do they need to be filled now

We're in a strange spot, do we need reinforments, from a business angle you would look at it and say we are 5 points clear with 1/3 of season gone so possibly not. However that doesn't take into account the sub par performances in quite a few of the games, for me it's more of the what if, we are just a few key injuries away from being a very ordinary team as we saw last weekend. Imagine we rest on our laurels to save a few quid till summer and miss out on promotion, very costly then. 

But we should only be going for the right players with a long term focus, if we can bring them in now then perfect. 

On 05/01/2021 at 18:44, Jamboj1 said:

GMS was spoken too and that’s about as far as it has went so far already was set for aberdeen it seems , jordan Jones suits the type of signing we are looking for I’m sure Boyce and smith will have a word but that’s one for the unlikely category unless there’s been a change since last week. Still hopeful to have one complete by next monday or the deal to be close enough where we will know about the signing👍🏻Also expect a few loans out like Moore and damour soon 

GMS deal not as dead as thought still unlikely but not dead as of Tuesday, the loans started today and will move to get more out. Damour has offers ideally we will be looking for it to be permanent but listening to loan offers (basically anyway to get him out of here) same situation with Bobby that’s 2 big wages we want to be saving. Moved into further talks with a few players on the target list still aiming for one before Dunfermline whether that’s possible remains to be seen 👍🏻Have a good weekend and hopefully a signing to make it better 

16 minutes ago, Jamboj1 said:

GMS deal not as dead as thought still unlikely but not dead as of Tuesday, the loans started today and will move to get more out. Damour has offers ideally we will be looking for it to be permanent but listening to loan offers (basically anyway to get him out of here) same situation with Bobby that’s 2 big wages we want to be saving. Moved into further talks with a few players on the target list still aiming for one before Dunfermline whether that’s possible remains to be seen 👍🏻Have a good weekend and hopefully a signing to make it better 

Sounds positive to me.  Appreciated. 

Someone posted a page back GMS said yes to a possible agreement.   Since Aberdons can't afford the wages. Unless some tadger of a club jump in and hijack it ☺ 

54 minutes ago, CJGJ said:

For us......

We need backup for Boyce and another pacey forward or winger would be nice to finish this league off.   

Yes we need to sign some players now.   I would go as far as getting another midfielder in that can pass a ball properly to create through balls, weight of pass.    I've seen enough wasted chances by the passes being poor quality. 

Your other questions seem rhetorical.  I mean clear and obvious. 

28 minutes ago, HMFC01 said:

Sounds positive to me.  Appreciated. 

Someone posted a page back GMS said yes to a possible agreement.   Since Aberdons can't afford the wages. Unless some tadger of a club jump in and hijack it ☺ 

Hopefully they’re correct that he has agreed, not heard that myself yet personally but would be a great signing 

maroonedinoz

Haven’t been following this thread closely so forgive me if already covered, but the local Shrewsbury paper says that the Shrewsbury manager is going to cut his large 30 something squad to cut the wage bill and suggests Jason Cummings may be the first to go.

I know he is regularly debated on here, but if he is ever going to join us surely now is the time?

Cumming

50 minutes ago, maroonedinoz said:

Haven’t been following this thread closely so forgive me if already covered, but the local Shrewsbury paper says that the Shrewsbury manager is going to cut his large 30 something squad to cut the wage bill and suggests Jason Cummings may be the first to go.

I know he is regularly debated on here, but if he is ever going to join us surely now is the time?

He doesn't really match the profile of what Robbie said he was looking for but you never know.

3 hours ago, hisnameis said:

Cumming

He doesn't really match the profile of what Robbie said he was looking for but you never know.

I know     he can score goals.

Dr. Sheldon Cooper

Cummings is a goalscorer at this level but we need someone who can offer us more than that.

Boyce does a lot of good work with his back to goal and outside of the penalty box which we lose when he's not in the team, so we need someone who can replicate that and link the play, as well as putting the ball in the back of the net. That someone would also give us the option of playing a front 2 at times and partnering up with either Boyce or Wighton.

How easy that player will be to find I'm not sure.

4 hours ago, maroonedinoz said:

Awwww here we go.............. 

kingantti1874

A striker and a winger are a must.. without Ginelly we are so narrow and easy to play against.. Without Boyce we are completely toothless.. 

prefernce would be that they are players who can contribute next season.. 

that said.. getting players off the wage bill is also a must. 

Wouldn't be opposed to Cummings short term until the end of the season and a longer deal dependant on his performances, I think he would give his all and is maybe worth a punt

Don't see the point in Cummings. Be no point unless we've got a winger or two who can create the chances for him. All we realistically have is Ginneylly.

9 hours ago, CJGJ said:

For us......

Fair post - i think we need another striker because we are light up front.

Maybe even 2 - one being a Gavin Reilly type who would do a good job in the Championship and the other possibly a younger player who would be enthusiastic and may develop into a good player.

Easy!

11 hours ago, Dr. Sheldon Cooper said:

Not sure we made a genuine offer to Brophy to be honest. GMS I'm not sure about either.  A player who would definitely improve us but I don't think there's any sort of expectation of it happening on our side.

Roberts I think was the first signing we made after Gordon? Seems like he had been on our radar for a while so not sure we can class him as one of the dregs. Similarly with Frear as Robbie tried to sign him for Dundee United and we had him on trial for a while. Players we were well aware of.

Appreciate you're impatient and I'm not trying to rile you. I'm just fairly comfortable in the knowledge that we'll sign players and we're not wanting to rush into signing a player who isn't right for us.

:jj_facepalm:

By the looks of that highlighted paragraph it sounds like we would be better off panic buying.

GMS is signing barring any last minute hitches. As mentioned I am never in the know but a little closer to GMS as know someone that knows him very well.

Only passing what I was told minutes ago. It could even be today.

Not trying to blow smoke up my erse, but after being told I was wrong for thinking we needed another striker before the season started, it is refreshing to see all the dicsussion and debate about what striker we should now sign.

Robbie out. Locky in.

2 minutes ago, Valois No1 said:

GMS is signing barring any last minute hitches. As mentioned I am never in the know but a little closer to GMS as know someone that knows him very well.

Would be a decent signing. Thanks for sticking your neck on the line with this. Things can change quickly so let's see what happens. 

5 minutes ago, Valois No1 said:

Ditto. First time I’ve ever had any ITK info. Probably the last time too 🤣

6 minutes ago, fast_blood said:

Would be a decent signing. Thanks for sticking your neck on the line with this. Things can change quickly so let's see what happens. 

Its defo legit…..apparently is going to Tynie at 2pm. He fancies Edinburgh as a city and place to stay. Anyway hopefully comes true but I must stress I am only passing what I have been told and its defo legit.

HHGH

4 minutes ago, Valois No1 said:

Its defo legit…..apparently is going to Tynie at 2pm. He fancies Edinburgh as a city and place to stay. Anyway hopefully comes true but I must stress I am only passing what I have been told and its defo legit.

HHGH

Cheers for the info. would be a good signing. 👍

11 hours ago, soonbe110 said:

In a lot of cases no loan fees or wages payable as long as loanee plays every week 

If true then that would explain not dropping Pereira last season (which was actually muted about at the time)

15 hours ago, Pasquale for King said:

It would give us a good few months to see if he’s up to it, you take the chance he will do well and go elsewhere but it’s probably better than giving them contracts like we did for Roberts/Frear/Popescu. If only we had taken Damour on loan for a season. 

agree totally with the sentiment - but suspect he wouldn't have come on loan. and then we'd be watching him perform reasonably well for Cardiff and be disappointed he didn't join us. Hindsight and all that. 

35 minutes ago, Valois No1 said:

🤞🏻That would be top notch thanks for the info

10 minutes ago, jambonian said:

If true then that would explain not dropping Pereira last season (which was actually muted about at the time)

....?

I didn't hear that....

Furst there was Vladimir
13 hours ago, Furst there was Vladimir said:

GMS very close to signing. 

Has held talks with both us and Aberdeen but Aberdeen need to offload players before being able to offer him anything.

Robbie wanted a decision asap or our deal was off the table and has been given a verbal ‘yes’.

Not done until it’s done but it’s looking good.

99% done. As per my source this morning.

GMS has been spotted in Edinburgh in the past and was mistaken as being here for signing talks. I think he has a relative who lives in the city and periodically visits. 

Maybe getting to know the city over those times may play it’s part if he’s genuinely here for talks this time? 

1 minute ago, Furst there was Vladimir said:

99% done. As per my source this morning.

Sounds like its legit then mate. My source is a family member who has absolutely no need to talk rubbish so with my source and yours it sounds like a deal is very very close.

TBH I am a bit funny with GMS. He seems well liked wherever he has went but I am not so sure on him as a player.

Just now, Debut 4 said:

GMS has been spotted in Edinburgh in the past and was mistaken as being here for signing talks. I think he has a relative who lives in the city and periodically visits. 

Maybe getting to know the city over those times may play it’s part if he’s genuinely here for talks this time? 

Spotted him in Dalry a couple times, a few year back not sure if he stayed there or family member did.

2 minutes ago, Debut 4 said:

His sister lives in the City, she used to work at a lettings company when I was a tradie many moons ago. 

28 minutes ago, Locky said:

Not trying to blow smoke up my erse, but after being told I was wrong for thinking we needed another striker before the season started, it is refreshing to see all the dicsussion and debate about what striker we should now sign.

Robbie out. Locky in.

I think it was pretty obvious that we were going to need another striker after Washington and Ikpeazu left. We were going to be too light-weight upfront if any of them were injured. Luckily we've got away with it so far. Also said we desperately need central defensive cover. With Souttar still out long-term, Berra on his way out leaving only Popescu in defence it was, and still is the most obvious area of the team to sort out. A lot of goals we've lost are so avoidable with an out-and-out centre-half in there to deal with stuff, tackles, corners, free kicks etc. 

Furst there was Vladimir
Just now, Valois No1 said:

Sounds like its legit then mate. My source is a family member who has absolutely no need to talk rubbish so with my source and yours it sounds like a deal is very very close.

TBH I am a bit funny with GMS. He seems well liked wherever he has went but I am not so sure on him as a player.

It’s defo legit.

Verbal agreement given yesterday. He spoke with Aberdeen out of courtesy given his history there. They wanted him to hold off but Hearts wanted a decision. It seems we’ve got him subject to the medical being passed.

• davemclaren changed the title to January transfer window ( Now closed )