January transfer window ( Now closed )

kingantti1874

2 minutes ago, Uncle Buck said:

Who wants Ross Callachan back? He was a ****ing donkey.

This. A trier but ffs we're really scraping the barrel now. 🤣

• Replies 11.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Pasquale for King

• GinRummy

• Cruyff

• Lord Beni of Gorgie

4 hours ago, Bad Religion said:

😃

"Strong rumours he's signed for Aberdeen today."

Interestingly we weren't in for him according to Sky sports news. Only Hobos, sheep and St Mirren.

vlad on the tyne

Brophy signing pre contract with St mirren. Not too disappointed but he would have been a decent addition. Better may become available in the summer 

Edited by vlad on the tyne

Finlay James
3 hours ago, neilnunb said:

This. A trier but ffs we're really scraping the barrel now. 🤣

Exactly, if Ross Callachan is the answer, I'd love to know the question.

I'm really hoping that Savage can find us a new barrel.

If possible i think we should be targeting summer signings now, If possible i would like the following.

Jimmy Dunne (burnley) unlikely as he is on their bench most weeks, However if you don't try, You don't get.

Alan Campbell (motherwell) boy looks a really good player, probably got championship clubs sniffing around him.

Louis Moult (preston) bit of a gamble as he has been out injured for a while with a knee injury, out of contract in the summer, will know of our new sporting director, Which might help.

Jackson Irvine (free agent)

Would know both kingsley and boyce as played in same team as them both. As long as wage demands aren't too high.

I feel this is the quality that we should be targeting, whether we get them or not is a different story though.

We also must do all we can to extend deals of Michael Smith, Stephen Kingsley, Peter Haring, Andy Irving and Josh Ginnelly.

That's the standard we need here.

34 minutes ago, gregzy2k7 said:

If possible i think we should be targeting summer signings now, If possible i would like the following.

Jimmy Dunne (burnley) unlikely as he is on their bench most weeks, However if you don't try, You don't get.

Alan Campbell (motherwell) boy looks a really good player, probably got championship clubs sniffing around him.

Louis Moult (preston) bit of a gamble as he has been out injured for a while with a knee injury, out of contract in the summer, will know of our new sporting director, Which might help.

Jackson Irvine (free agent)

Would know both kingsley and boyce as played in same team as them both. As long as wage demands aren't too high.

I feel this is the quality that we should be targeting, whether we get them or not is a different story though.

We also must do all we can to extend deals of Michael Smith, Stephen Kingsley, Peter Haring, Andy Irving and Josh Ginnelly.

That's the standard we need here.

Agree re signing on new deals, excepting Haring for me as not anywhere near player he was, still has a chance but would be surprised if he can return to his pre injury form.

No chance Dunne, Moult or Campbell.

Edited by Lfhearts

kingantti1874
1 hour ago, KyleLafferty said:

Why on earth is Brophy signing for St.Mirren? Can’t get my head round that 

maybe he isn’t as good as we think? He’s really struggled this season 

Dr. Sheldon Cooper
6 hours ago, Pasquale for King said:

Players can actually improve when they leave, he’s quicker than we have already and he’s scored more goals this season than all our midfielders put together at a higher level for Hamilton. 
He can actually go box to box, he also gives 100% and doesn’t hide. When he came up against those two you mention despite being told to watch his runs he scored and missed another chance that day. 
We could do worse, but hopefully we can do better. 

He takes penalties which helps his goal tally. He looked good for the first few games but his performances really tailed off towards the end of that season. That mistake in the cup tie at Motherwell was unforgivable.

The way Hamilton play might suit him but that doesn't make him good enough for us. Wouldn't get a game ahead of any our current midfielders.

Let's hope we are widening our scope for new signings a bit more than ex-players having a decent little run of form.

KyleLafferty
1 minute ago, kingantti1874 said:

maybe he isn’t as good as we think? He’s really struggled this season 

If you want a pressing forward and someone who stretches the game he would be perfect for Us. Boyce and Brophy would be perfect.

heartsfc_fan

Only thing I can think is Brophy is settled with a family in the west 🤷

Does seem a bit odd otherwise.

Brophy one is strange. Seems a sideways move at best. He had a burst of form last season or the season before that got him a Scotland call up and scored some cracking goals. Not sure if he has regressed since then but he's definitely one I would have liked us to have a look at last season. 

35 minutes ago, heartsfc_fan said:

Only thing I can think is Brophy is settled with a family in the west 🤷

Does seem a bit odd otherwise.

It is odd, he is only 24 I think so a bit early to be settled. Can only assume St.Mirren have found a benefactor who is funding his signing. 

Horatio Caine

Just skimming through this thread I think it should be renamed `the fantasy signings thread`.

Will be interesting in February to see how many names mentioned on here ever actually had a chance of signing for us.

A_A wehatethehibs
9 hours ago, Dr. Sheldon Cooper said:

What's with the obsession of re-signing former players?  Ross Callachan ffs. He would make our midfield even slower than it currently is.

Got shipped out once we signed better players in his position, two of which are still first team regulars. That tells you all you need to know.

Who've we signed that's performed any better than Callachan? Must have missed that one... Damour? Whelan? Bozanic? Edwards? Clare? Lee? 

Callachan was quite average but busted a gut every time he pulled on the shirt. We def should have persisted with him but Levein is one who is like many fans on here. Very quick to judge a player as "not good enough" and then go and spank a fortune on "on paper" signings like Clare, Damour, Whelan etc. Short sighted to let Ross go after only 1 season should have had that 2nd year of his deal and told to fight for his place. He would have fought that's for sure. 

As for now, walks in our team ahead of Haring, Lee, Damour and Halliday and would probably be a good partner for Irving. A fighter, scrapper, goal getter. Callachan this season has been exactly what Hearts miss in midfield to compliment Irving. i reckon he would be a Stevo like figure if he was put back in a maroon shirt

A_A wehatethehibs
1 minute ago, 5-1Jambo said:

Is anyone on here ITK regarding possible signings or is everything on here just hoping/guessing and JKBers falling out? 

There are 2 posters total on the forum I've seen who've been "ITK" but both have patchy records. Everyone will respond to them if they post something. One of them has posted something earlier this thread that we're "in advanced talks with a Scotland capped striker and a Scotland capped winger". The other strong rumour is we're trying to get O'Donnell in on a pre contract which presumably would spell the end for Smith. Other than that yes it's as you describe.  

Dr. Sheldon Cooper
3 minutes ago, A_A wehatethehibs said:

Who've we signed that's performed any better than Callachan? Must have missed that one... Damour? Whelan? Bozanic? Edwards? Clare? Lee? 

Callachan was quite average but busted a gut every time he pulled on the shirt. We def should have persisted with him but Levein is one who is like many fans on here. Very quick to judge a player as "not good enough" and then go and spank a fortune on "on paper" signings like Clare, Damour, Whelan etc. Short sighted to let Ross go after only 1 season should have had that 2nd year of his deal and told to fight for his place. He would have fought that's for sure. 

As for now, walks in our team ahead of Haring, Lee, Damour and Halliday and would probably be a good partner for Irving. A fighter, scrapper, goal getter. Callachan this season has been exactly what Hearts miss in midfield to compliment Irving. i reckon he would be a Stevo like figure if he was put back in a maroon shirt

Is there a different Ross Callachan who played for the club that I'm forgetting? A better player than Peter Haring 😂 come on now.

The only "quality" he is actually being quoted as having is that he bursts a gut which says a lot about his actual quality as a footballer.  Every single one of us on here would burst a gut for Hearts, it doesn't mean we are good enough either.

We signed better players and he got shipped out, it really is as simple as that. A half decent run of form for Hamilton doesn't change that.

A_A wehatethehibs
8 minutes ago, Dr. Sheldon Cooper said:

Is there a different Ross Callachan who played for the club that I'm forgetting? A better player than Peter Haring 😂 come on now.

The only "quality" he is actually being quoted as having is that he bursts a gut which says a lot about his actual quality as a footballer.  Every single one of us on here would burst a gut for Hearts, it doesn't mean we are good enough either.

We signed better players and he got shipped out, it really is as simple as that. A half decent run of form for Hamilton doesn't change that.

Peter Haring has spent the last 2 years on the treatment table and now looks finished based on his Dens effort where he was the worst player on the pitch and hooked at half time.

So yes, obviously it would have been very handy to have Callachan over the last 2-3 years wouldn't it. And today would walk in our team. 

Edit - and also, I'd talk about Callachan in the context of also signing 2 other Premiership standard CMs as well.

So Lee, Haring, Damour all out. Halliday as well to be honest but he'll see out his contract. Prem CM + Prem CM + Prem CM is part of the Jan and Summer business for me. Callachan I would take as one of 3. The 2 others would need to be different types of player. 

Edited by A_A wehatethehibs

18 hours ago, wavydavy said:

Sorry Andrew but I disagree. Irving coming on against Dundee totally changed the game in our favour whereas the likes of Lee, Walker and Haring all struggled.

I agree with you. My point is more general I guess. (And totally unqualified and an armchair observation) Irving has the potential to be a much better player, and he shows it in bursts. But I don't think he is making the most of his ability or improving as I feel he has the potential to. I think Lee is cut from the same cloth, but is making the most of his ability and plays to his strengths. I think Irving can learn from it. 

1 hour ago, Horatio Caine said:

Just skimming through this thread I think it should be renamed `the fantasy signings thread`.

Will be interesting in February to see how many names mentioned on here ever actually had a chance of signing for us.

Jimmy Dunne is my favourite most mentioned name. a quick google suggests he's probably currently on £6-£8k a week basic.

He's on the fringes of the first team of an EPL team, with the chance to play at places like Old Trafford, Anfield, The Emirates, Spurs stadium and if he progresses with Burnley could double his salary.

versus signing for us for £5k a week (tops) and trotting out at arboath and alloa - and if progressing to the SPFL increasing his salary by another £1k a week.

tough choice.....

Ross Callachan never ever a Hearts level player. He tried his best though fair play. Won the pen in the 4-0 Celtic game too

Edited by R1874

Ross Callaghan Jesus Christ what about Billy king Kevin Mchattie and Brad McKay a the good old days with guid honest players 😂😂

Callachan probably would have featured more under Stendel in all honesty with his energy and his style of play. Probably would have done well in that respect, all be it he doesn't have that much finesse to his game.

Would still like to see us take a chance on the boy Campbell from Motherwell if we were looking at ejecting a couple midfielders in the summer. He'd do well beside Irving in the middle and provide the bite that Halliday/Haring try to provide but with much more mobility and speed to his game.

A_A wehatethehibs
5 minutes ago, Des Lynam said:

Ross Callachan. 

**** no. 

We need to sign 3 central midfielders who are playing every game this season in a premiership team. We need guys who are free at the end of the season, will want to come to play for Hearts, and won’t break the bank. 

We don’t need any more Olly Lees, Sean Clares, Glen Whelans or Damours who look good on paper but fall well well short, are soft as shite and expensive wastes of money.

We need midfielders who will roll the sleeves up and compete. People to do the other dirty work to free up Irving’s passing game. And we need 3 of them. 

Who?

Dr. Sheldon Cooper
32 minutes ago, A_A wehatethehibs said:

Peter Haring has spent the last 2 years on the treatment table and now looks finished based on his Dens effort where he was the worst player on the pitch and hooked at half time.

So yes, obviously it would have been very handy to have Callachan over the last 2-3 years wouldn't it. And today would walk in our team. 

Edit - and also, I'd talk about Callachan in the context of also signing 2 other Premiership standard CMs as well.

So Lee, Haring, Damour all out. Halliday as well to be honest but he'll see out his contract. Prem CM + Prem CM + Prem CM is part of the Jan and Summer business for me. Callachan I would take as one of 3. The 2 others would need to be different types of player. 

Haring has been off it the last couple of games, no doubt about that. If we're going to pick out single games to suit our argument, how about the Hibs semi final when Haring's introduction helped swing the game in our favour? He was brilliant that night. His good games significantly outweigh his bad ones, but let's just write him off after a poor 45 minutes at Dens Park shall we?

What would Callachan have given us that others haven't over the last 2.5 seasons? There's a reason he was let go in the first place. I have absolutely nothing against the guy, but if he is the calibre of player that we are happy to see brought to the club then we're in a worse state than I thought.

Central midfield isn't at the top of the priority list for me as I've said earlier in the thread, but guys who weren't good enough for us before aren't going to be good enough for us now.

44 minutes ago, A_A wehatethehibs said:

wow.

Haring is finished?

think I'll reserve judgement until the end of the season on that one....

A_A wehatethehibs

How the **** can Center mid not be top of folks list! Against both Dundee and Dunfermline the battle was lost in midfield. Dundee and Dunfermline for ****s sake! We’ll be up against better midfielders than that next season. 

In Lee Halliday Irving  and Haring we’ve got enough to get us through this season against the part timers but next season it needs a serious overhaul IMO along with all the other business. A new back 4, 2 wingers and a striker to cover Boyce as well. But to me the focus has to be on the spine. 

A_A wehatethehibs
15 minutes ago, Dr. Sheldon Cooper said:

Haring has been off it the last couple of games, no doubt about that. If we're going to pick out single games to suit our argument, how about the Hibs semi final when Haring's introduction helped swing the game in our favour? He was brilliant that night. His good games significantly outweigh his bad ones, but let's just write him off after a poor 45 minutes at Dens Park shall we?

What would Callachan have given us that others haven't over the last 2.5 seasons? There's a reason he was let go in the first place. I have absolutely nothing against the guy, but if he is the calibre of player that we are happy to see brought to the club then we're in a worse state than I thought.

Central midfield isn't at the top of the priority list for me as I've said earlier in the thread, but guys who weren't good enough for us before aren't going to be good enough for us now.

We absolutely ARE in a worse state than you thought mate. I wouldn’t be mentioning a name like callachan if we were in a good state. We are unable to beat sides like Hamilton and st mirren last season or Dundee and Dunfermline this season. We are JUST good enough to win the championship, just 

If Callachan is the way forward we really are up **** creek.

Funny how ex players suddenly take on this magical aura when no longer kicking around the club....Whilst we are at it....why no a cheeky wee bid for Templeton?

The only two to have come back that I rated.....Robertson and Skacel.....Make that 3 - Craig Gordon

There's enough out there without picking up ex mediocre players.

Horatio Caine
44 minutes ago, Jim Panzee said:

Jimmy Dunne is my favourite most mentioned name. a quick google suggests he's probably currently on £6-£8k a week basic.

He's on the fringes of the first team of an EPL team, with the chance to play at places like Old Trafford, Anfield, The Emirates, Spurs stadium and if he progresses with Burnley could double his salary.

versus signing for us for £5k a week (tops) and trotting out at arboath and alloa - and if progressing to the SPFL increasing his salary by another £1k a week.

tough choice.....

Indeed.  Exactly my point with Dunne being the most delusional target on here for months now.

17 minutes ago, A_A wehatethehibs said:

How the **** can Center mid not be top of folks list! Against both Dundee and Dunfermline the battle was lost in midfield. Dundee and Dunfermline for ****s sake! We’ll be up against better midfielders than that next season. 

In Lee Halliday Irving  and Haring we’ve got enough to get us through this season against the part timers but next season it needs a serious overhaul IMO along with all the other business. A new back 4, 2 wingers and a striker to cover Boyce as well. But to me the focus has to be on the spine. 

Couldn't agree more.  Been saying it for years, for a team of Hearts standing, our midfield has been abysmal.

We've all seen it countless times, teams like the above dominating our midfield. Absolutely disgraceful !

17 minutes ago, A_A wehatethehibs said:

We absolutely ARE in a worse state than you thought mate. I wouldn’t be mentioning a name like callachan if we were in a good state. We are unable to beat sides like Hamilton and st mirren last season or Dundee and Dunfermline this season. We are JUST good enough to win the championship, just 

We already beat Dundee at home, lost away and have one more game versus them at Tynecastle.   So we play teams three times.   It's currently 1 - 1 with potential to be 2 1 over three games.    We have played Dunfermline once, the next game is at home, so will be interesting to see if its at least a draw or a win for us.   

Last season was a disaster.  We are in a worse state because we're in the championship, that is all.   

Haring has went off the boil since the cup final.    Before that he was OK.   I would not swap him for anyone.   

43 minutes ago, A_A wehatethehibs said:

We need to sign 3 central midfielders who are playing every game this season in a premiership team. We need guys who are free at the end of the season, will want to come to play for Hearts, and won’t break the bank. 

We don’t need any more Olly Lees, Sean Clares, Glen Whelans or Damours who look good on paper but fall well well short, are soft as shite and expensive wastes of money.

We need midfielders who will roll the sleeves up and compete. People to do the other dirty work to free up Irving’s passing game. And we need 3 of them. 

Who?

Certainly not Ross Callachan. 

A_A wehatethehibs
18 minutes ago, Hashimoto said:

If Callachan is the way forward we really are up **** creek.

Funny how ex players suddenly take on this magical aura when no longer kicking around the club....Whilst we are at it....why no a cheeky wee bid for Templeton?

The only two to have come back that I rated.....Robertson and Skacel.....Make that 3 - Craig Gordon

There's enough out there without picking up ex mediocre players.

We are up the creek yes yes we ARE up the creek well well up the creek. We’re losing games at Dens park and in Fife. Callachan is scoring in the league above us. I honestly don’t think last season fully sunk in for a lot of fans maybe because it was cut short. We won 4 games out of 31. An eye watering 12.9% win percentage across all managers. And that form stretches back to the previous season as well, and we’ve got largely the same squad. Its left a lot of fans numb. Thank **** the likes of Berra, Lee and several others are out of contract in the summer and we can free up their wages to reinvest in the spine. The trickier bit is also we also need to bin guys who do have contracts for next season like Walker and Damour. 

Neilson has got these wasters winning games at this level but the only actual Premiership standard players we’ve got currently signed for next season are Boyce, Naismith, Gordon, and Halliday. Irving needs to get signed for next season, it is his big test to prove himself. Other than them it’s a major squad overhaul. I’m wondering if some folk just miss the scale of the number of new players we need in. For me it’s 10 new players needed. 

Edited by A_A wehatethehibs

8 hours ago, Gorillajam said:

Interestingly we weren't in for him according to Sky sports news. Only Hobos, sheep and St Mirren.

Berra than you
2 minutes ago, A_A wehatethehibs said:

We are up the creek yes yes we ARE up the creek well well up the creek. We’re losing games at Dens park and in Fife. Callachan is scoring in the league above us. I honestly don’t think last season fully sunk in for a lot of fans maybe because it was cut short. We won 4 games out of 31. An eye watering 12.9% win percentage across all managers. And that form stretches back to the previous season as well, and we’ve got largely the same squad. Its left a lot of fans numb. Thank **** the likes of Berra, Lee and as ever all others are out of contract in the summer and we can free up their wages to reinvest in the spine. The trickier bit is also we also need to bin guys who do have contracts for next season like Walker and Damour. 

Neilson has got these wasters winning games at this level but the only actual Premiership standard players we’ve got currently signed for next season are Boyce, Naismith, Gordon, and Halliday. Irving needs to get signed for next season, it is his big test to prove himself. Other than them it’s a major squad overhaul. I’m wondering if some folk just miss the scale of the number of new players we need in. For me it’s 10 new players needed. 

I'd say we need minimum 2 CBS, 2 wide players, a cm and a striker. That's assuming that we can keep a hold of Smith, Kingsley and Irving. Happy for Gino to be one of the wingers. Major squad overhaul required in the summer. Reading between the lines of Neilsons pressers, I think he is aware of this. Lucky we have so many our of contract in the summer, just a shame it's some of the better players.

8 hours ago, Gorillajam said:

If St Mirren the height of his ambition you have to wonder

1 minute ago, A_A wehatethehibs said:

We are up the creek yes yes we ARE up the creek well well up the creek. We’re losing games at Dens park and in Fife. Callachan is scoring in the league above us. I honestly don’t think last season fully sunk in for a lot of fans maybe because it was cut short. We won 4 games out of 31. An eye watering 12.9% win percentage across all managers. And that form stretches back to the previous season as well, and we’ve got largely the same squad. Its left a lot of fans numb. Thank **** the likes of Berra, Lee and as ever all others are out of contract in the summer and we can free up their wages to reinvest in the spine. The trickier bit is also we also need to bin guys who do have contracts for next season like Walker and Damour. 

No disrespect AA....I really sense you frustration.

But this rebuild is a constant theme. We keep naively believing that the next transfer window will be the best one ever!
We get rid of players of mediocre quality, only to sign......Well, players of mediocre quality!

We get sucked into the "scarf above the head" mentality only to discover in the short term that it's been a signing disaster....

Hopefully the new DoF will quickly fix the issues surrounding our signing policy. however the early signs for me is not encouraging when Neilson states that the DoF will pursue the players that he identifies!!!!!

A_A wehatethehibs
3 minutes ago, Des Lynam said:

Certainly not Ross Callachan. 

That’s not much of an answer? Have a look through the Premiership midfielders playing regularly this season and see who’s available, in half decent form, that we realistically could get on a free transfer and wouldn’t break the bank wages wise.

Ainsley Harriott
14 minutes ago, A_A wehatethehibs said:

We are up the creek yes yes we ARE up the creek well well up the creek. We’re losing games at Dens park and in Fife. Callachan is scoring in the league above us. I honestly don’t think last season fully sunk in for a lot of fans maybe because it was cut short. We won 4 games out of 31. An eye watering 12.9% win percentage across all managers. And that form stretches back to the previous season as well, and we’ve got largely the same squad. Its left a lot of fans numb. Thank **** the likes of Berra, Lee and several others are out of contract in the summer and we can free up their wages to reinvest in the spine. The trickier bit is also we also need to bin guys who do have contracts for next season like Walker and Damour. 

Agree with all that but I would chase Halliday and Naismith to. We need a clean slate next season.

A_A wehatethehibs
2 minutes ago, Hashimoto said:

No disrespect AA....I really sense you frustration.

But this rebuild is a constant theme. We keep naively believing that the next transfer window will be the best one ever!
We get rid of players of mediocre quality, only to sign......Well, players of mediocre quality!

We get sucked into the "scarf above the head" mentality only to discover in the short term that it's been a signing disaster....

Hopefully the new DoF will quickly fix the issues surrounding our signing policy. however the early signs for me is not encouraging when Neilson states that the DoF will pursue the players that he identifies!!!!!

One thing we need to stop doing is signing players who have never played in the Scottish Premiership and “need time to settle” we need to pick up at least 3 or 4 “do a job” bodies who can scrap and win battles in that league, having been regular premiership players and already up to speed. Signing a player like Ross would be, in addition to the real quality we are going to need at Center half and in the final 3rd. 

There will need to be a range of quality levels to the signings we get you’ve got to manage the budget as well, we need guys in who will give good value for their wages. Not every player can be a 6k a week Boyce / Naismith class. 

SomethingAboutObua
3 minutes ago, Hearts007 said:

Toby Sibbick  well worth a chance imo

Isn't he away on loan in Belgium just now? 

Just now, SomethingAboutObua said:

Isn't he away on loan in Belgium just now? 

yep maybe get him for start of next season?

• davemclaren changed the title to January transfer window ( Now closed )