January transfer window ( Now closed )

kingantti1874

1 minute ago, Seymour M Hersh said:

An interesting take on things. 

It was a comment I forgot to submit yesterday, then the comments window wouldn't let me delete it.

• Replies 11.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Pasquale for King

• GinRummy

• Cruyff

• Lord Beni of Gorgie

5 minutes ago, upgotheheads said:

I think this Armand story is a load of bo*****s. There's no mention of it in any BBC media.

Noticed this last night. My wee boy was asking about it and I said to him to look up his BBC Sport app to see him, but absolutely nothing there. Very strange that they haven't reported on it, other than a mention in the Gossip section, which is never used to confirm signings only to speculate.

Edited by Batistuta87

2 minutes ago, Batistuta87 said:

Noticed this last night. My wee boy was asking about it and I said to him to look up his BBC Sport app to see him, but absolutely nothing there. Very strange that they haven't reported on it. 

Strange? Hardly. BBC sport are a disgrace.

14 minutes ago, TheBigO said:

Yup, it's a misconception that 442 makes you weak in the middle.  It's down to the players.

That really good Iceland team a few years back who beat England and were all about being tight and strong, were a 442 and many teams who play that way are.  The classic old Stoke team was 442 under Pulis - and they played 2 wingers.  Burnley are similar now.  And contrary to belief, I think it's good football to watch, personally.  lots of guts, lots of getting the ball in the mixer, wingers trying to hit byeline, fullbacks swinging balls in from 30 yards out, forwards bullying defenders.  All good to me.

You need pure workrate to do it.  Your wide guys need to have legs to get up and down the park, your midfielders need to work their socks off to be winning every ball.  You need to move the ball at pace.  Your defence needs to love defending as their first and foremost job.  Do we have the players for that?  Not sure we do.  An energetic midfielder and a big CH would do it and then it can work.

Yep... this will do for me. 442 all day.

I'm sick of watching the brand of football that requires you to pass the ball into the net. I blame Barcelona for this... now EVERYONE wants to play this way (especially down south) ... which is fine if you have players like Barcelona. Boring as feck though!

This championship? - just needs us to get back to basics. We have the best players in this league, yet at times, we seem to want to make difficult for ourselves.

442 with a decent attitude/work rate should see us piss this league. Look at the ball Gino whipped in for our first goal on Saturday, that should happen a dozen times each match.

11 minutes ago, TheBigO said:

Yup, it's a misconception that 442 makes you weak in the middle.  It's down to the players.

That really good Iceland team a few years back who beat England and were all about being tight and strong, were a 442 and many teams who play that way are.  The classic old Stoke team was 442 under Pulis - and they played 2 wingers.  Burnley are similar now.  And contrary to belief, I think it's good football to watch, personally.  lots of guts, lots of getting the ball in the mixer, wingers trying to hit byeline, fullbacks swinging balls in from 30 yards out, forwards bullying defenders.  All good to me.

You need pure workrate to do it.  Your wide guys need to have legs to get up and down the park, your midfielders need to work their socks off to be winning every ball.  You need to move the ball at pace.  Your defence needs to love defending as their first and foremost job.  Do we have the players for that?  Not sure we do.  An energetic midfielder and a big CH would do it and then it can work.

I don't think we have the players to do it at the moment. Robbie was right in what he said, you need to have a strong XI and no real weak links. I think if we had two big quality Centerhalfs and a Keane/Souness type CM, a competitor, we could do it. 

I also think folk need to move away from the idea of playing a passing game on the deck in a 4-4-2 at our level. I think it's a direct style where the ball needs to go back to front instead of playing through teams, like a Burnley for example. The two best Hearts sides I've seen under JJ and Burley were industrious and direct. The pretty football was played  in the opponents final third, not in our half. 

8 minutes ago, Batistuta87 said:

Noticed this last night. My wee boy was asking about it and I said to him to look up his BBC Sport app to see him, but absolutely nothing there. Very strange that they haven't reported on it, other than a mention in the Gossip section, which is never used to confirm signings only to speculate.

In todays BBC Sport Glasgow website gossip...

Hearts have fended off interest from English clubs to sign French striker Armand Gnanduillet on an 18-month deal. (Scotsman)

...one line, and they're only quoting the Scotsman. But it is in their 'Gossip' column... so may not happen. 🙄 feckin pathetic.

Edited by Rogue Daddy

bobby bombscare
1 minute ago, Dr. Sheldon Cooper said:

Washington is a striker though? 

Having players who are versatile and fill more than one position/role are valuable players to have when you're working to a tight budget. We've got a few of them in the squad at the moment. Yes players will have always have a strongest position but they're capable of filling in elsewhere too. Haring, Halliday, Smith and White are all examples of that.

You should always sign players to fit the style and shape of the team which is definitely what Neilson has been trying to do this season. You are right though, you can't just chuck players into a formation and expect it to work. The formation isn't what matters either, it's the players playing in that formation and their chosen roles that makes it work.

I've already alluded to the fact that there have been calls for 4-4-2 with Boyce, Gnanduillet, Naismith, GMS and Ginnelly all in the team. There's no balance there. Yes we might attack and create chances but we would be prone to being caught on the counter attack. A manager is paid to make tough decisions and Gnanduillet coming in gives us another selection problem, but it's up to Neilson to decide who does and who doesn't play if we are wanting to change the shape of the team.

Washington had a pretty poor goal tally when playing striker. He was really i winger if i remember rightly and had played as a winger at the last few clubs he's been at. He also looked his best for us of the wing, getting behind the line.

I think we are of the same thinking. I don't mind players playing in positions they can play in. What i don't understand is things like when we used to send halkett up front cause we needed goals or playing Meshino on the wing when it was clear the boy had no idea how to play on the wing. Playing Wighton as a wing back. Boy is never a winger, never mind a wing back. 

My point was more we look at good players and then play them in a totally different position. Like Halliday. I don't ever recall watching a game with Halliday at rangers and think "he's bossing the midfield". Plenty of games where i thought he played like that at left back though. Same as Irvine, we kept trying to play irvine in an advanced role and he kept plying poor. His best position is as a more traditional role. Not sitting in an advanced role and not sitting back defending. I think that's part of the reason Harring had a howler the other week. He looked as though he was pushing higher up the pitch than normal (always seen him play a very defensive role in the midfield). I think you're right though and Neilson and Savage are moving more towards buying players for positions rather than buying players for how good they are and making them fit in somewhere or altering formations to squeeze them in. I just don't think the likes of Naist should be playing a midfield role anymore, not at 34 in his 4th knee op, second hip op and at the end of a very injury prone career. You can see he doesn't have the legs for it. I think this is probably being addressed with the search for a new midfielder so i think we're going in the right direction but just totally confuses me when our fans just want us to buy players because they rate them. Regardless of if they fit or not. 

Last year we had a good squad on paper, but it was a squad full of players who didn't fill the positions needed on any formations without leaving shortfalls. There is still a bit of that now with the contract mess left by Levein. I just think some fans still expect someone's ability to play one position immediately make them a certainty on a team sheet, regardless of where they play.

Seymour M Hersh
34 minutes ago, upgotheheads said:

It was a comment I forgot to submit yesterday, then the comments window wouldn't let me delete it.

I was just joking in any case. 

21 minutes ago, Cruyff said:

I don't think we have the players to do it at the moment. Robbie was right in what he said, you need to have a strong XI and no real weak links. I think if we had two big quality Centerhalfs and a Keane/Souness type CM, a competitor, we could do it. 

I also think folk need to move away from the idea of playing a passing game on the deck in a 4-4-2 at our level. I think it's a direct style where the ball needs to go back to front instead of playing through teams, like a Burnley for example. The two best Heartssides I've seen under JJ and Burley were industrious and direct. The pretty football was played  in the opponents final third, not in our half. 

Your last line sums it up perfectly

1 hour ago, Under the floodlight said:

Spot on, the problem with a lot of posters on here is they don't understand how employment works. As you know its only the employer and the employee who actually know what will happen during negotiations and even then this is subject to last minute hitches. I like a lot of other posters am grateful for any snippets of info.

Keep up the good work.

Appreciated 👍🏻, also takes someone to risk their job if a name gets out etc I get some won’t like it but will continue to post for those that do after all we all want one thing on here.. signings!! 

44 minutes ago, Batistuta87 said:

Only the SPFL exist. 

49 minutes ago, Rogue Daddy said:

I'm sick of watching the brand of football that requires you to pass the ball into the net. I blame Barcelona for this... now EVERYONE wants to play this way (especially down south) ... which is fine if you have players like Barcelona. Boring as feck though!

This championship? - just needs us to get back to basics. We have the best players in this league, yet at times, we seem to want to make difficult for ourselves.

442 with a decent attitude/work rate should see us piss this league. Look at the ball Gino whipped in for our first goal on Saturday, that should happen a dozen times each match.

Correct, Could not have said it better myself mate.

kingantti1874
48 minutes ago, Rogue Daddy said:

In todays BBC Sport Glasgow website gossip...

Hearts have fended off interest from English clubs to sign French striker Armand Gnanduillet on an 18-month deal. (Scotsman)

...one line, and they're only quoting the Scotsman. But it is in their 'Gossip' column... so may not happen. 🙄 feckin pathetic.

the only surprise is that this is still a surprise. The BBC sport Scotland is a Celtic propaganda arm and we are an easy target.  Extends to highlights, commentary and online coverage. 

bigsuperslim1874
24 minutes ago, Jamboj1 said:

Appreciated 👍🏻, also takes someone to risk their job if a name gets out etc I get some won’t like it but will continue to post for those that do after all we all want one thing on here.. signings!! 

I appreciate your info mate - ignore the moaners. 👍

7 minutes ago, kingantti1874 said:

the only surprise is that this is still a surprise. The BBC sport Scotland is a Celtic propaganda arm and we are an easy target.  Extends to highlights, commentary and online coverage. 

I checked the "Hearts" page on BBC sport last night, it was still showing the Dundee v Hearts game as "Live" as the 1st listing

A_A wehatethehibs
51 minutes ago, Rogue Daddy said:

The issue is you are not taking into account the personnel. We do not have the Center mids or the Center halves to play a 4-4-2. 

If we try to play 4-4-2 today with any out of: Irving-Haring, Irving-Halliday, or Halliday-Haring in front of Popescu-Halkett we will def concede 2-3 goals again. We need to play all 3 of the CMs to put some bodies to protect our pub team Center halves, sit Haring at CDM behind Irving-Halliday, push them 10-15 yards higher. 

5 minutes ago, A_A wehatethehibs said:

The issue is you are not taking into account the personnel. We do not have the Center mids or the Center halves to play a 4-4-2. 

If we try to play 4-4-2 today with any out of: Irving-Haring, Irving-Halliday, or Halliday-Haring in front of Popescu-Halkett we will def concede 2-3 goals again. We need to play all 3 of the CMs to put some bodies to protect our pub team Center halves, sit Haring at CDM behind Irving-Halliday, push them 10-15 yards higher. 

Could we not play 4-4-2 with one wide midfielder plus the three you mentioned. Halliday can surely play more to the left side and the GMS or Ginnelly wider on the right?

Flux Capacitor

My tuppence worth...

4-4-2, 4-5-1, 3-5-2. Whatever.

This is the Scottish Championship. 11 Hearts players on the park should win most weeks regardless of the set up.

Where we appear to be lacking is in application (ie - starting games slowly and not at it) and in defence (personnel - we need at least one Centre half, the goals being conceded simply aren’t acceptable)

Hopefully we can sign a defender this week which will help but if I’m being honest it’s our application at the beginning of matches that worries me most.

A_A wehatethehibs
2 minutes ago, GinRummy said:

Could we not play 4-4-2 with one wide midfielder plus the three you mentioned. Halliday can surely play more to the left side and the GMS or Ginnelly wider on the right?

You can re jig it however you want. All I know is that if you want to successfully play 4-4-2 you need 2x good CMs and you need 2x good CBs. Its crucial that all 4 of them players are razor sharp because they will typically be outnumbered.  

I’m a bit of a 1 man army advocating for a more defensive set up with a 3 man midfield. Everyone thinks we’re not attacking m enough but for me we’re actually too attacking, we leave our tin pot CBs too vulnerable... folk will think I’m Craig Levein :lol: 

Lord Beni of Gorgie

Being able to play different ways used to be a skill induced by pitches according to the season. 

3 minutes ago, A_A wehatethehibs said:

You can re jig it however you want. All I know is that if you want to successfully play 4-4-2 you need 2x good CMs and you need 2x good CBs. Its crucial that all 4 of them players are razor sharp because they will typically be outnumbered.  

I’m a bit of a 1 man army advocating for a more defensive set up with a 3 man midfield. Everyone thinks we’re not attacking m enough but for me we’re actually too attacking, we leave our tin pot CBs too vulnerable... folk will think I’m Craig Levein :lol: 

😀 Regardless of what either of us think should happen we won’t go more defensive imo. Surely he’s not brought a new CF in so either him or Boyce can sit on the bench. Unless Boyce is away, which would surprise me.  

One centre back and a more dynamic midfielder during this window could change a lot. 

Anyone know why Haring has not been getting game time recently. Only a few weeks ago we were all hanging on his return and saying he was crucial to the team. Granted he had one bad game but surely he hasn't been written off for that. 

When notifications pop up on YouTube of the last Championship season, we score a lot of goals or created pressure by Sow (or even Keatings) pulling defenders out of position allowing the rest of the attacking players (that was virtually everyone bar Gomis and Wilson) to attack at pace if need be.  Even Ozturk could step up the pitch.

When Zeefuik came in, as long as we got the ball to his chest or feet, he drew bodies to him too.

None of our current 3 key strikers can do either. 

I'm hoping Armaud is the guy that can start to pull defenders all over the place.

Edited by DETTY29

29 minutes ago, A_A wehatethehibs said:

There's absolutely no doubt whatsoever that we need 1 (or 2) CB's, and a decent midfielder, but this is the championship, we have enough for this league IF they put the effort in. What we play at the moment is inconsistent at best... do you really think 442 would be any worse? We would certainly be more of a threat and I think this is key... if we go 1 ahead early on, I really think everything else will fall into place. The desire and effort HAS to be there though.

Edited by Rogue Daddy

Tom Hardy’s Dug
2 hours ago, Cruyff said:

Diego Simeone always plays 442, does he not. On his way to another title. 

I thought he was 3-4-3?

24 minutes ago, A_A wehatethehibs said:

You are correct with this statement, and I would probably whole-heartedly agree with you if this was the prem. But we should have more than enough for this league.

Radical as it seems why don't we try sticking with the 4231 that our squad has broadly been built to play.

We've not actually played the formation that much this season so can be forgiven teething problems on Saturday.  Let Smith build a partnership with GMS and Kingsley likewise with Ginnelly.  We also need to let Irving and either Halliday or Haring build an understanding as the middle 2. 

One potential change could be Boyce dropping into the Naismith role in support of Gnando.... Boyce does this a lot anyway even when Naismith and Walker are on the park.

A_A wehatethehibs
12 minutes ago, Rogue Daddy said:

There's absolutely no doubt whatsoever that we need 1 (or 2) CB's, and a decent midfielder, but this is the championship, we have enough for this league IF they put the effort in. What we play at the moment is inconsistent at best... do you really think 442 would be any worse? We would certainly be more of a threat and I think this is key... if we go 1 ahead early on, I really think everything else will fall into place. The desire and effort HAS to be there though.

I honestly don’t think we do have enough to just throw bodies forward in a 4-4-2. I’m not convinced you can just say “it’s the championship” these upper champ teams aren’t totally stupid, they are professional sides with some good athletes in their teams, that know how to set themselves up. You can’t leave shite CBs exposed and think you can make up for it through desire and effort. 

If you look at the 3 games we’ve lost it’s 2 + 3 + 3 goals conceded. For me the root cause of the issues is not effort. The root cause has been the defensive set up on all 3 occasions. So if we want to win, place all our focus on fixing the ****ing leak at the back as whatever we play across the forward line, we are bound to get a couple of goals to win it. 

As for signings we will see. I’m honestly not optimistic at either CM or CB but Savage and Neilson done well to keep the CF and the GMS signings under wraps so, let’s hope for some extra quality which we def need in the building. 

kingantti1874
33 minutes ago, 5-1Jambo said:

Anyone know why Haring has not been getting game time recently. Only a few weeks ago we were all hanging on his return and saying he was crucial to the team. Granted he had one bad game but surely he hasn't been written off for that. 

looked like he was struggling with the injury again for me. Suspect we are trying to rest it.. pretty worried about his ability to get back playing never mind get anywhere near previous standard

36 minutes ago, 5-1Jambo said:

Harings an interesting one. Some times I think he most be getting rested and eased back, but then it seems like he's expected to make 90 mins. I'm just not sure Robbie fancies him. On top of that, he does seem to be moving funny since his return, almost like he's reluctant to pivot at the waist.

Saying that, I wouldn't be surprised if he starts tonight.

There’s dozen of variations of 4-4-2. Our two best teams in the past thirty years have been 4-4-2 but they haven’t had two out and out wingers:

Cameron

Salvatori

Fulton

McCann

Miko/Cesney

Hartley

Brellier/Aguiar

Skacel

rudi must stay
3 hours ago, Cruyff said:

Diego Simeone always plays 442, does he not. On his way to another title. 

So did Sir Alex Ferguson , doesn't matter what you play. It's the tempo you play at 

18 minutes ago, Tom Hardy’s Dug said:

Actually 3-4-3 might have been Conte thinking about it...

Conte is 3-5-2 

Martinez Lukaku

Young Barella Vidal Brozovic Hakimi 

Bastoni de Vrij  Skriniar

Handanovic

1 minute ago, rudi must stay said:

So did Sir Alex Ferguson , doesn't matter what you play. It's the tempo you play at 

Yep. Man Utd always played full on for 90 minutes under Fergie. It was the standard. 

3 minutes ago, Bunny Munro said:

Harings an interesting one. Some times I think he most be getting rested and eased back, but then it seems like he's expected to make 90 mins. I'm just not sure Robbie fancies him. On top of that, he does seem to be moving funny since his return, almost like he's reluctant to pivot at the waist.

Saying that, I wouldn't be surprised if he starts tonight.

Hope he makes it back. He wins a lot of second balls and breaks up the opposition play really well. Probably would have been one if our best signings in years if he hadn't pi ked up this injury. 

13 minutes ago, 5-1Jambo said:

Hope he makes it back. He wins a lot of second balls and breaks up the opposition play really well. Probably would have been one if our best signings in years if he hadn't pi ked up this injury. 

Correct. As was Berra (a major part of the effectiveness of the team) until his injury. Really hoping Haring gradually gets back to his best as he would be a huge asset. Need a midfielder in now.
Same eventually hopefully for Souttar.

Berra sadly I think isn’t likely to get anything near his previous form and I think we need a replacement for him now as pointed out already. 

Is Ryan Guald an option for a pre contact?  Personally doing well in the Portuguese top flight for a struggling provincial club. A player possibly in the Cameron/Hartley mould.  Could we make him a very good offer or us he out of our league?

25 minutes ago, 5-1Jambo said:

5 minutes ago, topsport said:

Correct. As was Berra (a major part of the effectiveness of the team) until his injury. Really hoping Haring gradually gets back to his best as he would be a huge asset. Need a midfielder in now.

Berra sadly I think isn’t likely to get anything near his previous form and I think we need a replacement for him now as pointed out already. 

I say this about a few players, but if he we had Haring playing 80% of games last season we would never have got relegated.

Edited by Bunny Munro

Just now, keifrb said:

Is Ryan Guald an option for a pre contact?  Personally doing well in the Portuguese top flight for a struggling provincial club. A player possibly in the Cameron/Hartley mould.  Could we make him a very good offer or us he out of our league?

Did naff all at Hibs.

4 minutes ago, topsport said:

begs the question why he played fine when on loan at dundee. whats the difference? coaching, tactics, team mates, expectation?

jamboinglasgow
1 minute ago, neilnunb said:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/55814273

Frimpong leaving Celtic. Shame. Always wanted to see someone punch his grinning pus. 😁

Seen Celtic could get 10m for him (with a 30% sell on fee to Man City) so they get a good amount, but if I was a Celtic fan I would be concerned that a player who should have been one of the main players next season is wanting out the door now, suggesting he is not developing at Celtic. Lennon's lack of coaching ability causing more long term damage to Celtic.

1 minute ago, keifrb said:

So did Hartley!  Seriously though, did he have injury issues at the Methadrone?

A fair point.

I think he was too slight for Scottish football personally, seemed to get brushed off the ball a lot.

7 minutes ago, Bunny Munro said:

I say this about a few players, but if he we had Haring playing 80% of games last season we would never have got relegated.

And if we’d had craig Gordon 😫

A_A wehatethehibs
31 minutes ago, rudi must stay said:

No it isn’t just the tempo. To play that way it is absolutely essential, imperative, you absolutely need good Center halves who can dominate forwards and mop up 1vs1 situations. You need a back line that can take on the challenge of a team hitting you on the break, defenders who can just comfortably clean things up and clear the danger. And behind them you need a goalkeeper because your Center halves won’t catch everything.

Because when you push men forward and commit everything to winning the game, at any level, your opponent is bound to sneak through you a couple of times and bear down on your goal. That’s why you need quality in that area. A rolls Royce type reader of the ball like Ferdinand. Or just smash through ball + player like Vidic used to do (though he was not an animal, he was very agile as well and could pop a quick boot in there to disrupt things). And before them, Pallister, Bruce, Stam etc 

Good Center halves underpins absolutely everything in an attacking team. Your CBs are what makes attacking football possible. 

• davemclaren changed the title to January transfer window ( Now closed )