January transfer window ( Now closed )

kingantti1874

3 minutes ago, Gorgie Boot boy said:

At this present time this is what we have to play with, if it was up to me then a lot of the present players would of been punted already.

We have a few decisions to make on who stays and who comes in, this will be dealt with within the next 6 months.

I would leave it for the moment, concentrate on younger Scottish talent who are ready to go up with us next year.

Expect us all to still be in lockdown up till next summer, this is not as easy as people may think it is.

I hope Robbie has told them that if they're not confident in taking a penalty, smash it low and hard straight down the middle, cos i can't be dealing with another mamby pamby spot kick, especially from a striker. 

• Replies 11.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Pasquale for King

• GinRummy

• Cruyff

• Lord Beni of Gorgie

Gorgie Boot boy
2 minutes ago, Greedy Jambo said:

I hope Robbie has told them that if they're not confident in taking a penalty, smash it low and hard straight down the middle, cos i can't be dealing with another mamby pamby spot kick, especially from a striker. 

Penalty kicks.

I watched Milan win 24-penalty shootout to reach Europa League group stage. Seven-times European champions AC Milan scored a penalty at the end of extra-time before winning a 24-penalty shootout against Portugal's Rio Ave on Thursday to squeeze into the Europa League group stage.

Jean Louis Valois

Find it very strange that Lewis Moore has barely been seen this season after featuring so much under Stendel last season. Anyone know if he's been injured, or does Neilson just not rate him.

8 minutes ago, jambopilms said:

Greedy Jambo indeed.

If you can't give any credit for fighting back against Celtic then you might as well give up

I've given them credit for fighting back, but it was a cup final ffs, if you can't turn up in the 1st half, what are you doing there?

How many times have we just played 1 half? it's ridiculous. 

Edited by Greedy Jambo

1 minute ago, Jean Louis Valois said:

Find it very strange that Lewis Moore has barely been seen this season after featuring so much under Stendel last season. Anyone know if he's been injured, or does Neilson just not rate him.

Seems pretty clear Neilson doesn't fancy him, which I find really disappointing. Moore has given 100%, his assists against Rangers showed there is a player there. 

I'd be much happier with him on the field over Frear or Roberts. Are any good enough? No, but Moore has youth on his side, what we've seen from the two so called experienced pros is likely to be about all we're getting. 

1 hour ago, Pasquale for King said:

We can’t anyway but the permanent signing were after will obviously need to help us when we get back up. We need more pace all over the pitch. Naismith/Zeefuik/Adao etc all helped us when they were signed in January, Neilson likes strengthening in this window and I’m not sure why anyone would question him wanting to do it. 

Thinks it's more questioning (from some) what's the point if we have enough to get over the line, save it for the summer. In saying that, on the flip side to the argument about winter transfer window usually being difficult, this is no ordinary winter transfer window and plenty players to be had that are coming to an end of short term deals or haven't had one since July (which scares me in all honesty, but they would have 1/2 a season to get up to speed). 

All in all, pretty easy with what we have just now, but if we sign it has to be with medium to long term in mind. 

Gorgie Boot boy
3 minutes ago, Greedy Jambo said:

I've given them credit for fighting back, but it was a cup final ffs, if you can't turn up in the 1st half, what are you doing there?

I get where you are coming from, you do need to accept that we are 5 players short of a decent footballing side mate.

Someone was going to be the Hero and yes the Villain,

Guaranteed  if we had managed to bag them saved penalties, our players would of been 10x times anything them vermin *******s could ever give.

Trust me, them trampy scumbags would of been doing everything to moan about something, win or lose .

Terrible set of individuals and followers.

1 minute ago, Gorgie Boot boy said:

At this present time this is what we have to play with, if it was up to me then a lot of the present players would of been punted already.

We have a few decisions to make on who stays and who comes in, this will be dealt with within the next 6 months.

I would leave it for the moment, concentrate on younger Scottish talent who are ready to go up with us next year.

Expect us all to still be in lockdown up till next summer, this is not as easy as people may think it is.

Freedom of Contract signings are a bit of a risk IMO this January, as are permanent signings.

Firstly what division shall we be in next season?  We certainly look likely atm for promotion but a top player would want guarantees. He would be unlikely to accept a Contract A (top division) or Contract B (Championship) offer depending on where are and I doubt if we would want to end up paying someone top wages if by chance we didn't get promoted.

Secondly the Covid situation casts a shadow over football as it does everything else.  Will we be playiing football at all?  Will we have crowds? etc etc.

Probably best to consider only loans meantime umless/until vaccines create a clearer path ahead.

Pasquale for King
6 minutes ago, Fraggle said:

Thinks it's more questioning (from some) what's the point if we have enough to get over the line, save it for the summer. In saying that, on the flip side to the argument about winter transfer window usually being difficult, this is no ordinary winter transfer window and plenty players to be had that are coming to an end of short term deals or haven't had one since July (which scares me in all honesty, but they would have 1/2 a season to get up to speed). 

All in all, pretty easy with what we have just now, but if we sign it has to be with medium to long term in mind. 

Definitely. If he wants to play 4 at the back we need a more mobile CH for example. We have 4 good quality CMs but they’re all a bit slow too. We won’t be spending much anyway. 

Gorgie Boot boy
Just now, JamboAl said:

Freedom of Contract signings are a bit of a risk IMO this January, as are permanent signings.

Firstly what division shall we be in next season?  We certainly look likely atm for promotion but a top player would want guarantees. He would be unlikely to accept a Contract A (top division) or Contract B (Championship) offer depending on where are and I doubt if we would want to end up paying someone top wages if by chance we didn't get promoted.

Secondly the Covid situation casts a shadow over football as it does everything else.  Will we be playiing football at all?  Will we have crowds? etc etc.

Probably best to consider only loans meantime umless/until vaccines create a clearer path ahead.

Exactly why i would do nothing.

Pasquale for King
13 minutes ago, OTT said:

Seems pretty clear Neilson doesn't fancy him, which I find really disappointing. Moore has given 100%, his assists against Rangers showed there is a player there. 

I'd be much happier with him on the field over Frear or Roberts. Are any good enough? No, but Moore has youth on his side, what we've seen from the two so called experienced pros is likely to be about all we're getting. 

He’s not really given the youth much of a chance and we have a big squad. As you say he’s better than what we’ve seen from Frear or Roberts. Moore will be 23 next summer, he needs to play games somewhere. 

6 minutes ago, JamboAl said:

Depends on the players quality. If we could get a Jackson Irvine type in now or in January on a 30 month deal it would be worth the risk. 

22 minutes ago, Greedy Jambo said:

Well you can't match a team like Celtic for 90 mins. Especially with our no pace aging team. We ended 3-3 what does it matter how we got there. If we were nil nil at half time doesn't actually mean we win 3-1.

This is going to turn into this season's 2-2 with Hibs. 

Edited by jambopilms

4 minutes ago, jambopilms said:

Well you can't match a team like Celtic for 90 mins. Especially with our no pace aging team. We ended 3-3 what does it matter how we got there. If we were nil nil at half time doesn't actually mean we win 3-1.

This is going to turn into this season's 2-2 with Hibs. 

Celtic are an utter shambles just now, their defence is all over the shop and their keeper is a poor stand in until they find someone else. It was the best chance we had to win the cup against them. 

I don't want to talk about it anymore. 

Edited by Greedy Jambo

Lord Beni of Gorgie
6 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

He’s not really given the youth much of a chance and we have a big squad. As you say he’s better than what we’ve seen from Frear or Roberts. Moore will be 23 next summer, he needs to play games somewhere. 

He has had a hard time the boy. I thought he was much improved last season and would love to see him back if all is well. 

If Haring is not going to stay fit would love to see another midfield general and a striker, in addition to the 2 we have 

Lord Beni of Gorgie
1 minute ago, Greedy Jambo said:

Celtic are an utter shambles just now, their defence is all over the shop and their keeper is a poor stand in until they find someone else. It was the best chance we had to win the cup against them. 

I don't want to talk about it anymore. 

We actually played very well in the first 20 minutes. 

First goal kicked them on for 15minutes,  other than that 15minutes,  it really was much ado about nothing 

Gorgie Boot boy
1 minute ago, Sir Gio said:

First goal kicked them on for 15minutes,  other than that 15minutes,  it really was much ado about nothing 

I fell into a deep trance for those lame 15 minutes.

Bazzas right boot
3 minutes ago, Sir Gio said:

We even  had a couple of half chances in the first part of the game. 

Bazzas right boot
6 minutes ago, Lfhearts said:

Doubt we will be signing anybody.

Will we sign somebody instead? 

Anybody is shite anyway. 

1 hour ago, Gorgie Boot boy said:

This window will be the difference between us a year ago and now, plenty players are still unattached.

There are two players we missed out on at the last minute, they are both still available.

Who are the two players?

We need a striker.  if Boyce gets injured then all we have is Wighton.  It was an error in the summer to go with only 2 strikers  . Even if it is only a  loan 

53 minutes ago, OTT said:

Yes...... Moore  seemed to respond quite well when Daniel gave him a few games.   I'd also question why he's picking Henderson as a sub and then ignoring him when he decides to add or replace a forward during a match.    Give the lad some game time please, Robbie 

I'd go for Max Watters at Crawley. Suspect Brentford or Peterborough will already be sniffing about though. They usually snap up the lower league gems. 2nd choice would be Matt Jay. Formed a good partnership with Ryan Bowman for Exeter. Watters is 21, Jay 24. Both a decent age, shown potential in the past, kicked on this season.

1 hour ago, soonbe110 said:

Depends on the players quality. If we could get a Jackson Irvine type in now or in January on a 30 month deal it would be worth the risk. 

I'm not too sure re Irvine.  If we were getting the player he was before moving south then he would be a good acquisition but, as has been said previously, why has he been without a club for so long.

Edited by JamboAl

Irvine is a decent player but it would take him (intact any player) a while to get up to speed if he's not properly trained in months.

Appreciate that's probably the market we are looking in given the current predicament.

1 hour ago, John Rambo said:

I'd go for Max Watters at Crawley. Suspect Brentford or Peterborough will already be sniffing about though. They usually snap up the lower league gems. 2nd choice would be Matt Jay. Formed a good partnership with Ryan Bowman for Exeter. Watters is 21, Jay 24. Both a decent age, shown potential in the past, kicked on this season.

They'll need a YouTube video for John Murray to consider them. 

Would like another 1 x pacy winger who can chip in with goals and 1 x big, strong mobile striker up front.

If I'm being greedy i would ideally like another quality CB as I'm not overly confident in Berra or Popescu, although in the championship both should do a job

I should add the likelihood of us signing anyone will probably depend on us shifting a couple of players out the door in january.

Would be great to shift damour! 

Ideally I would like us to target a lean 20-22 man playing squad in furure and focus on quality instead of having around 30 players in our squad that half of them never see the first team and are disinterested.

The rest of the squad should be filled in by our youth academy when we get injuries/suspensions etc

7 hours ago, JamboAl said:

I'm not too sure re Irvine.  If we were getting the player he was before moving south then he would be a good acquisition but, as has been said previously, why has he been without a club for so long.

Only been without a club since the late summer. Contract not renewed at Hull because of their financial situation, turned down other offers incl Sheffield We’d in October. Not sure why though. 

August Landmesser

If the discussions about Andy Irving are anything to go by, we should sign Jackson Irvine purely for the typos.

9 hours ago, Smith's right boot said:

Will we sign somebody instead? 

Anybody is shite anyway. 

You are one plum. We won't sign anybody coz of covid and implications.

37 minutes ago, Leveins Battalion said:

Guy at my work reckons we are in for a guy Burke from Shamrock Rovers.

If Wiki is anything to go by, he is not the most prolific scorer

August Landmesser
25 minutes ago, JamboAl said:

11 in 24 in his current spell at Rovers. In a league that is (mostly) superior to the Scottish Championship. Seems fine to me, but I'd need to see a YouTube montage before fully committing...

Juho_Makela_Goal_Machine
2 hours ago, August Landmesser said:

On loan from PNE, would make sense with the Savage link.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Graham_Burke

Interesting, but I'm not sure how the mechanics of a deal would work if he is already on loan at Shamrock. I suppose they could cancel the loan and loan him to us but I don't see that being likely.

11 hours ago, Lone Striker said:

Yes...... Moore  seemed to respond quite well when Daniel gave him a few games.   I'd also question why he's picking Henderson as a sub and then ignoring him when he decides to add or replace a forward during a match.    Give the lad some game time please, Robbie 

I think we might see Moore and Henderson in games against the lower half of the league. Just at the moment it's all about points and winning games and experience counts. Both are young enough to develop but so far the jury's out as far as I'm concerned. Maybe if we can clinch this league with a few games in hand (hope I'm not tempting fate there) we'll see them getting an extended run to see if they're good enough for the Premiership.

36 minutes ago, upgotheheads said:

I think we might see Moore and Henderson in games against the lower half of the league. Just at the moment it's all about points and winning games and experience counts. Both are young enough to develop but so far the jury's out as far as I'm concerned. Maybe if we can clinch this league with a few games in hand (hope I'm not tempting fate there) we'll see them getting an extended run to see if they're good enough for the Premiership.

Moore is 22 which is a fair age to still be trying to establsih himself at the club. I really don't see the point in keeping players like him if you don't want to try and develop them. They have to be given game time in order to progress or otherwise.

Why extend their contracts when they hardly ever feature?

Gorgie Boot boy
3 hours ago, JamboAl said:

Played 81 for Shamrock scored 36.

Edited by Gorgie Boot boy

A_A wehatethehibs
38 minutes ago, wavydavy said:

Moore is 22 which is a fair age to still be trying to establsih himself at the club. I really don't see the point in keeping players like him if you don't want to try and develop them. They have to be given game time in order to progress or otherwise.

Why extend their contracts when they hardly ever feature?

Not ITK but I personally believe their contracts were extended out of pity due to covid and they’ll be on dirt cheap youth team wages with evidently no assurances of any game time. Under normal circumstances one or both of them might have left in the summer but due to covid, the lower league clubs basically can’t pay any wages as the limited cash they had has now run completely dry. Think a move to a Partick Falkirk or Airdrie would be a good one for Moore in particular. Hate seeing a young player who’s not going to be good enough for Hearts cling to the dream too long. He should be doing what Calumn Morrison is doing, what Jordan McGhee and Scott Robinson have done, get out there and be a key player somewhere, do the business and entertain the fans at one of these clubs. You’re a player so get out there and play. Then who knows in 3 or 4 years time you could work your way back up to the premiership through your performances. Look at Scott Robinson now. Controversial but I probably wouldn’t say no to seeing him back at Hearts as a replacement for Olly Lee next season. He’s been a consistent performer for a good Livi team. Now a seasoned Premiership midfielder but it took 6-7 years of leaving Hearts and getting the games under the belt. That’s what a player like Moore needs to do. 

Henderson I was happy to give him 1 more year, think there’s a chance he may develop to be a useful utility man / squaddie who can slot in anywhere as he’s fit as a butchers dog and strong, happy to do any job asked, but I don’t see much future for Moore at Hearts, he definitely should be looking to leave and find himself a club where he’s good enough to be a key player. That club is not going to be Hearts as we’re going to be looking for Europe class, we need Scotland U21 class, we need quality and competition for places next season will be another level up from where we are now. 

Gorgie Boot boy
2 minutes ago, A_A wehatethehibs said:

Not ITK but I personally believe their contracts were extended out of pity due to covid and they’ll be on dirt cheap youth team wages with evidently no assurances of any game time. Under normal circumstances one or both of them might have left in the summer but due to covid, the lower league clubs basically can’t pay any wages as the limited cash they had has now run completely dry. Think a move to a Partick Falkirk or Airdrie would be a good one for Moore in particular. Hate seeing a young player who’s not going to be good enough for Hearts cling to the dream too long. He should be doing what Calumn Morrison is doing, what Jordan McGhee and Scott Robinson have done, get out there and be a key player somewhere, do the business and entertain the fans at one of these clubs. You’re a player so get out there and play. Then who knows in 3 or 4 years time you could work your way back up to the premiership through your performances. Look at Scott Robinson now. Controversial but I probably wouldn’t say no to seeing him back at Hearts as a replacement for Olly Lee next season. He’s been a consistent performer for a good Livi team. Now a seasoned Premiership midfielder but it took 6-7 years of leaving Hearts and getting the games under the belt. That’s what a player like Moore needs to do. 

Henderson I was happy to give him 1 more year, think there’s a chance he may develop to be a useful utility man / squaddie who can slot in anywhere as he’s fit as a butchers dog and strong, happy to do any job asked, but I don’t see much future for Moore at Hearts, he definitely should be looking to leave and find himself a club where he’s good enough to be a key player. That club is not going to be Hearts as we’re going to be looking for Europe class, we need Scotland U21 class, we need quality and competition for places next season will be another level up from where we are now. 

Hearts look after their young players, always looking for ways to play them.

To say they feel sorry for players, something silly to say there.

If you have no future at the club then Robbie JJ and Joe will sort out your future.

We need to be wiser and have a smaller academy set up.

No time for sentiment or anything like that. We need to build a squad for next seasons Premiership.

Punt (either in January or the summer):

Zlamal, Doyle, Berra, Damour, White, Walker, Frear, Roberts, Moore, Henderson. 

Decisions to be made on: Lee & Wighton

Bring in: Ross Stewart (loan till end of the season, then sign permanently once his contract expires in the summer), Ginnelly (pre contract)

New contracts: Smith, Kingsley & Irving, make these a priority 

Then look at the transfer market. A few instant improvements are available on pre contracts: Ross Stewart (Ross County), Stewart Findlay (Kilmarnock), Liam Polwarth (Motherwell) just to name a few. 

Joe Savage will have some good ideas up his sleeve, but it will be up to Budge / whoever is negotiating to get them. Preston’s problem was that they ended up going for his 4th / 5th recommendations. 

A_A wehatethehibs
11 minutes ago, Gorgie Boot boy said:

Hearts look after their young players, always looking for ways to play them.

To say they feel sorry for players, something silly to say there.

If you have no future at the club then Robbie JJ and Joe will sort out your future.

We need to be wiser and have a smaller academy set up.

I just believe that under normal circumstances, they would have been encouraged to leave the club, get out there and play. But due to covid I think something was different, clubs out there can hardly pay anyone a wage. Neither of them has even been in a league squad. Henderson being 20 as I say I’d have given him maybe another year but Moore at 22, he’s got to go and play, I think he potentially does have the work ethic to work his way up the levels but to do that he has to be a key man somewhere. To give the both of them 2 year extensions I just did not agree was in their long term interests as footballers. They only have so many years they’re able to play. Really by 20 it is time to be playing at one level or another. But maybe with Covid, we feared at the time, it could have been difficult to get players in. Who knows 

As has been said in other posts though, it is still actually early season. Maybe there’ll come a point where we’re comfortable at the top and will give the both of them a few more games. For me it won’t change things though I don’t see either of them becoming a real starter for Hearts and firing us up and in to European positions. They’ve had 3-4 years since debuts to show it, I’ve just not seen that quality. I would think both will be quite keen to go on loan in January and for me it should be with a view to a permanent transfer somewhere as let’s face it next season Hearts are going to need better quality in our starting line up. Much better. 

Gorgie Boot boy
1 minute ago, A_A wehatethehibs said:

I just believe that under normal circumstances, they would have been encouraged to leave the club, get out there and play. But due to covid I think something was different, clubs out there can hardly pay anyone a wage. Neither of them has even been in a league squad. Henderson being 20 as I say I’d have given him maybe another year but Moore at 22, he’s got to go and play, I think he potentially does have the work ethic to work his way up the levels but to do that he has to be a key man somewhere. To give the both of them 2 year extensions I just did not agree was in their long term interests as footballers. They only have so many years they’re able to play. Really by 20 it is time to be playing at one level or another. But maybe with Covid, we feared at the time, it could have been difficult to get players in. Who knows 

As has been said in other posts though, it is still actually early season. Maybe there’ll come a point where we’re comfortable at the top and will give the both of them a few more games. For me it won’t change things though I don’t see either of them becoming a real starter for Hearts and firing us up and in to European positions. They’ve had 3-4 years since debuts to show it, I’ve just not seen that quality. I would think both will be quite keen to go on loan in January and for me it should be with a view to a permanent transfer somewhere as let’s face it next season Hearts are going to need better quality in our starting line up. Much better. 

I really like CL as a person, as a player he was a godsend and had a hard as nails attitude.

He and others ruined our football clubs set up, that leaves a bad taste and has after shocks ripple effects.

We know that history and the route it has taken, although it is not all doom and gloom.

Right now the football department has earned some respect for their hard work, so far so good.

This is going to be over hauled to a higher standard with less players.

As far as our young pro players are concerned, they have to earn the right to be in the match day squad.

I understand that people expect more from them, they can only play when asked.

We have to many players all looking to be supported by the first team squad.

This issue will be sorted out in due time, depending on the restrictions etc.

31 minutes ago, Famous 1874 said:

No time for sentiment or anything like that. We need to build a squad for next seasons Premiership.

Punt (either in January or the summer):

Zlamal, Doyle, Berra, Damour, White, Walker, Frear, Roberts, Moore, Henderson. 

Decisions to be made on: Lee & Wighton

Bring in: Ross Stewart (loan till end of the season, then sign permanently once his contract expires in the summer), Ginnelly (pre contract)

New contracts: Smith, Kingsley & Irving, make these a priority 

Then look at the transfer market. A few instant improvements are available on pre contracts: Ross Stewart (Ross County), Stewart Findlay (Kilmarnock), Liam Polwarth (Motherwell) just to name a few. 

Joe Savage will have some good ideas up his sleeve, but it will be up to Budge / whoever is negotiating to get them. Preston’s problem was that they ended up going for his 4th / 5th recommendations. 

If we are to progress these are exactly the types we need to go for. We need to start beating Aberdeen to these players. Sign the best young talent and sell them on for a large fee in the future.

Aberdeen are reportedly preparing a preseason contract for both players along with Gallagher and Campbell at Motherwell. They have the financial muscle due to the anticipated sale of Cosgrove for 2 million odd and Hernandez for supposedly 1 million. 

I'd love us to sign Polworth however rumours are he's wanting to try England.

Juho_Makela_Goal_Machine

I would love for us to get some of these guys from other Scottish clubs on pre-contracts, but I'm not going to lose any sleep if we don't. I can only think of one occasion we've done it before (Halkett), so it seems unlikely. More likely it's a few guys on short-term deals to help with our depth this season.

Leveins Battalion
17 minutes ago, Juho_Makela_Goal_Machine said:

I would love for us to get some of these guys from other Scottish clubs on pre-contracts, but I'm not going to lose any sleep if we don't. I can only think of one occasion we've done it before (Halkett), so it seems unlikely. More likely it's a few guys on short-term deals to help with our depth this season.

We have hired Joe Savage to primarily help us sign better players.

Things are changing massively,the old routine of going to certain agents is gone,I expect our fortunes to change for the better now I really do.

Patience is required for now though,slow and steady team building required.

• davemclaren changed the title to January transfer window ( Now closed )