Next season

Agentjambo

How many of our team/squad will still be here for the start of next season?and how many new signing do you think we will need to improve our team/squad?

13 are out of contract/loans finishing in the summer.

Just now, Agentjambo said:

How many of our team/squad will still be here for the start of next season?and how many new signing do you think we will need to improve our team/squad?

Depends what league we are in. 

The Old Tolbooth

We've a long way to go before the Levein mess is sorted out for sure, but we're getting there, that's why I never understand why people judged Stendel but refuse to judge Robbie, personally I wouldn't be judging either of them until the utter dross is shipped right out of Hearts and we can mould us into something resembling a decent playing side again as we've been set back years by the last shower of charlatans. 

I'd keep Haring, Smith, Gordon, Irving, and Ginnelly (if he stays fit), and build a team around them, the rest I genuinely wouldn't be arsed if they disappeared from Hearts forever. 

18Jambo_dave74

Needs to be big changes to the squad next summer in order to inject some more pace and quality in to the squad. Obviously working on the assumption that we will be in the premier league as well! Below is my thoughts at this stage.

Out of Contract 2021 - let go:

Zlamal

Doyle

Berra 

White

Frear 

Lee

Wighton 

Out of Contract 2021 - retain:

Kingsley

Smith

Irving 

Ginnelly (pre-contract)

Cochrane 

Players to move on if possible: 

Roberts (based on early performances)

Damour

Brandon

Moore

Henderson (if no improvement this season)

That would give us a lot of scope for new players as we would need new players in most positions. I'm generally against large squad overhauls however I really feel we would need to make changes moving forwards. For me we have very few players that I'd be confident with as first choice picks as a team chasing for the European places - Gordon, Smith, Kingsley, Haring (if fit) are probably the 4 who would stand out for me as regular starters. 

Another issue is players that we may we want to keep (e.g. Kingsley, Smith) may be looking to move on. 

Recruitment has been such a big problem for us over the last few years - we will need to get it right in the summer.  

Edited by 18Jambo_dave74

9 minutes ago, Agentjambo said:

Do you think our current squad is good enough for the SPL?

Nope.

Not sure i have too much faith in Robbie to do the kind of overhaul that's required. Hopefully James Anderson will find a few million down the back of the sofa that he fancies chucking our way.

Playing devils advocate here, surely the constant changing of the squad is what has got us into this mess

we need continuity more than anything else

Next season I’d bring in 2 central defenders, stick with what we’ve got, consolidate our position in the top league and build from there

Bringing in 10 players every close season is killing us

1 minute ago, jbee647 said:

Playing devils advocate here, surely the constant changing of the squad is what has got us into this mess

Next season I’d bring in 2 central defenders, stick with what we’ve got, consolidate our position in the top league and build from there

No,spending endless amounts of money on big wages with horrendous recruitment is what caused this.There is a lot more squad building due to be done as a result of the Levein era.

8 minutes ago, jbee647 said:

5 minutes ago, Agentjambo said:

No,spending endless amounts of money on big wages with horrendous recruitment is what caused this.There is a lot more squad building due to be done as a result of the Levein era.

Combination of the both tbf

25 minutes ago, Agentjambo said:

Do you think our current squad is good enough for the SPL?

No!  We have the best squad in the championship. Unfortunately best squads dont always make the best teams.  Would the current squad have survived if last season had been played to a finish,?

It’s where a good manager comes in. Who’s undoubtedly the “keepers“, who can I still get a tune out while surrounded by better players, and who simply needs to go?

The important thing will always be identifying your strongest 11 within the way you want to play.  Many changes outwith that shouldn’t be deemed another upheaval.  I think

if RN keeps the core, he can chip away at other positions for cover and competition.  

I would hope that management are having a close look at teams we are playing this season. I've no idea if there is anyone worth picking up but signing younger Scottish Championship players will definitely be cheaper and I would hope lower risk than the likes of Damour. 

1 minute ago, Jodami said:

I would hope that management are having a close look at teams we are playing this season. I've no idea if there is anyone worth picking up but signing younger Scottish Championship players will definitely be cheaper and I would hope lower risk than the likes of Damour. 

Kerr Mcinroy looks a great prospect, unfortunately he’s on loan from Celtic

i can’t see them being keen to do a deal on a player who could come back to haunt them

I will be surprised if we sign anyone to be honest unless a players or two goes out , I think it’s all to do with us winning the league with the players we have already and then strengthen the squad for next season.

Ex member of the SaS

Not read all comments but my take on things is nothing much will change. First off we still have too many " duds"  on the books, and obviously the loss in revenue between no fans and being in the lower league means less prize money. Therefore we will have to be cautious and a little thrifty for at least the first season back up ( assuming we are back up and not fecked over again but the GFA. ) 

Once fans are back and with the increase in FoH donations we should be able to look for a far better squad in around two the three seasons. Until then it's steady as we go. 

4 hours ago, 18Jambo_dave74 said:

Needs to be big changes to the squad next summer in order to inject some more pace and quality in to the squad. Obviously working on the assumption that we will be in the premier league as well! Below is my thoughts at this stage.

Zlamal

Doyle

Berra 

White

Frear 

Lee

Wighton 

Kingsley

Smith

Irving 

Ginnelly (pre-contract)

Cochrane 

Damour

Brandon

Moore

That would give us a lot of scope for new players as we would need new players in most positions. I'm generally against large squad overhauls however I really feel we would need to make changes moving forwards. For me we have very few players that I'd be confident with as first choice picks as a team chasing for the European places - Gordon, Smith, Kingsley, Haring (if fit) are probably the 4 who would stand out for me as regular starters. 

Another issue is players that we may we want to keep (e.g. Kingsley, Smith) may be looking to move on. 

Recruitment has been such a big problem for us over the last few years - we will need to get it right in the summer.  

Wighton has earned the right to be placed on the maybe list. Dpends how things go in the next few weeks

Assuming we keep Stewart, Smith, Kingsley and Ginnelly 

GKGordon, Stewart, Stone

RB: Smith, New RB

LB: Kingsley, White

CB: Halkett, Souttar, Popescu, 2x New CB 

CM: Haring, Halliday, Irving, New CM 

RW: Ginnelly, New RW

LW: Roberts, New LW

AM: Walker, Naismith 

ST: Boyce, 2 x New ST

I'm hoping the likes of Logan, McGill and Hamilton etc. can establish themselves as good squad players to replace some of the out of contract dross

4 hours ago, Debut 4 said:

It’s where a good manager comes in. Who’s undoubtedly the “keepers“, who can I still get a tune out while surrounded by better players, and who simply needs to go?

The important thing will always be identifying your strongest 11 within the way you want to play.  Many changes outwith that shouldn’t be deemed another upheaval.  I think

if RN keeps the core, he can chip away at other positions for cover and competition.  

What is the core?

6 hours ago, Agentjambo said:

Let's just concentrate on winning the Championship first.

6 hours ago, Agentjambo said:

Sorry can’t even think about next season.

Lord Beni of Gorgie
7 hours ago, 18Jambo_dave74 said:

Zlamal

Doyle

Berra 

White

Frear 

Lee

Wighton 

Kingsley

Smith

Irving 

Ginnelly (pre-contract)

Cochrane 

Damour

Brandon

Moore

Can't disagree with any of that. Wighton is not the answer despite the Sean Clare type desperation for him to rise like a Phoenix. 

We deserve better 

Bazzas right boot
2 hours ago, Cruyff said:

Assuming we keep Stewart, Smith, Kingsley and Ginnelly 

GKGordon, Stewart, Stone

RB: Smith, New RB

LB: Kingsley, White

CB: Halkett, Souttar, Popescu, 2x New CB 

CM: Haring, Halliday, Irving, New CM 

RW: Ginnelly, New RW

LW: Roberts, New LW

AM: Walker, Naismith 

ST: Boyce, 2 x New ST

This is quite realistic imo. 

I think we'll need 2 cm tho. 

Irving is still questionable especially if we are aiming for top 6 at least and I can see the likes of Harry moving on.  So add 2 midfielders to make it 5 fighting/ rotating for 2/3 spaces each week is about right. 

If irving hasn't signed a contract by the end of the year I also think it signals he's away as well Tbh. 

Edited by Smith's right boot

Assuming we go up then we realistically need 5/6 solid signings as a minimum. 

Recruiting a tonne of players each year has been detrimental in the past, but from this squad you have a large % that are duds that we're waiting to get off the wage bill and players signed to do a job in this division (Frear and Popescu, etc). 

Gordon, Smith, Kingsley and Haring will all stroll it in the premiership. Boyce, Naisy and Halliday can play at that level. Ginnelly looks promising and Wighton is pulling off the most unlikely comeback. 

Other than that there doesn't seem to be a lot coming through (Irving maybe) and the rest of the squad is largely dug meat. 2 new CB's are a must, a winger or 2, a centre mid and a striker please Robbie. 

3 hours ago, Riccarton3 said:What is the core?

Similar to how Cruyff laid it out but maybe not so many. Bearing in mind I’m not basing it on Hearts romping straight to the top 3.(which is actually possible but I like to play it a bit calmer given how poor we’d become).

Gordon, Smith, Kingsley(if he wants to stay) Souttar, Haring, Irving, Halliday, Ginnelly. I see these guys as players who can offer something, albeit in different ways, telling and productive in the unit.  

The rest, for me, are a mix of being too inconsistent or have seen better days. There’s certainly some there ,however, who can be squad players. 

It’ll take time but I really want to see a more dynamic RB, a better left side in terms of attacking threat as an option other than Ginnelly. Slowly turn the squad around with as little trace left from the recent era under CL and AM.

No matter how hard you believe some players are good or can turn it around, sometimes being at a club during a torrid time leaves you in a rut, become damaged good in a way. Players need the change as much as the club does. That’s why I hope next season there is a good “tweak” of the team made around the above. 

Ideally we would have the league won as early as possible to allow us to plan better for next season. 

We could perhaps get players on pre contracts that are with clubs who at the time don’t know which league they will be in next season.

4 hours ago, jbee647 said:

That sounds very definite...

Unfortunately I am told he is leaving and tried to leave in the summer. I like him but he is being stifled development wise 

7 hours ago, One five said:

I will be surprised if we sign anyone to be honest unless a players or two goes out , I think it’s all to do with us winning the league with the players we have already and then strengthen the squad for next season.

Exactly , but that could mean over half a team or more that's needed, which means money ,and hearts would have to move shrewdly, let's hope we do '    there's a few that are not good enough for spl,   but let's hope they do us ok and get us out of this league were in .......

5 minutes ago, Hectormasson said:

Exactly , but that could mean over half a team or more that's needed, which means money ,and hearts would have to move shrewdly, let's hope we do '    there's a few that are not good enough for spl,   but let's hope they do us ok and get us out of this league were in .......

We’ll have around 10 players leaving in the summer. We’ll need around 10 signings just to stand still on numbers. That’s before you even think about what we need quality wise and who is staying that isn’t really good enough anyway. It’s another half a squad rebuild whatever way you look at it IMO. We need to stop signing veteran players who’ve got 18 months or so left in them. Anyone who’s best days are well behind them. That’s been a huge part of this constant need to rebuild. 4-5 summer signings plus a couple in January and maybe a loan or two. That’s we’re we need to get to.

11 hours ago, jbee647 said:

So your playing with no midfield or attack of any note!

A_A wehatethehibs
16 hours ago, PTBCAL said:

Irving won’t be here next season 

Yeah, think there’s a 50-50 chance he’ll be Falkirk bound. Seems to have quickly fallen behind Lee Halliday and Haring none of whom played any part in our disgrace of a season last season whereas he played 20 odd games, yet gets a pass because the fans have a soft spot for him. Folk seem to be giving those 3 absolute pelters as though they were the 3 that took us down... nope. Did folk think a few good games under Stendel would impress Neilson? Irving is 4th choice and if he can’t get to first pick, there’s no chance of game time in our Premiership squad next season, as we’ll sign players that are even better than them 3 in that position.

I think he will start in the league cup this weekend at Alloa, and will have to deliver a big  performance to impress his new manager and demand a start in the league ahead of the experienced midfielders. 

Edited by A_A wehatethehibs

Levein and his agent friends have screwed us into this position, there is little or no future in this squad. Too old, too slow, too injury prone and a failed academy. Players that will be hard to get rid of, that we already know are not good enough for the prem. Only a handful of this squad should be retained. These are difficult times but hopefully the club can start the rebuild and move us in a new direction, recruitment will be critical. We need to be able to spot potential and the coaching fitness people need to improve those players. We need players that are right for us and not for agents. Promotion is the immediate priority though, and is not a given. Hopefully we can bring in two or three in this transfer window so Robbie can cover for inevitable injuries. We came through Romanov (then Levein), we will get through this.

Edited by Skacelsid
spelling

1 hour ago, A_A wehatethehibs said:

Yeah, think there’s a 50-50 chance he’ll be Falkirk bound. Seems to have quickly fallen behind Lee Halliday and Haring none of whom played any part in our disgrace of a season last season whereas he played 20 odd games, yet gets a pass because the fans have a soft spot for him. Folk seem to be giving those 3 absolute pelters as though they were the 3 that took us down... nope. Did folk think a few good games under Stendel would impress Neilson? Irving is 4th choice and if he can’t get to first pick, there’s no chance of game time in our Premiership squad next season, as we’ll sign players that are even better than them 3 in that position.

I think he will start in the league cup this weekend at Alloa, and will have to deliver a big  performance to impress his new manager and demand a start in the league ahead of the experienced midfielders. 

That is quite a leap of thinking.

Can't see Lee being here next season - a few good games and his missus will be hankering after a new semi-detached in Luton. Haring is not 100% reliable, fitness-wise and Halliday has been "ok" so far.

Simply cannot see Irving in the 1st Division.

A_A wehatethehibs
8 minutes ago, Nookie Bear said:

That is quite a leap of thinking.

Can't see Lee being here next season - a few good games and his missus will be hankering after a new semi-detached in Luton. Haring is not 100% reliable, fitness-wise and Halliday has been "ok" so far.

Simply cannot see Irving in the 1st Division.

Just mean, it feels like folk have been absolutely slating Lee and Halliday, whereas Irving is some kind of golden boy for some folk and should be guaranteed starts ahead of them. Not for me. As I’ve said if he can’t get ahead of these pretty average guys this season, what chance has he got when we say goodbye to Lee at the end of his deal this summer, and look to bring in one or two international / English championship class midfielders? That’s the performance / athlete level Neilson will want. Games like this weekend will tell us the story is with Irving - he needs to put some shift in if he is to win the trust of the new manager and get ahead of the experienced midfielders. And he needs to do it fairly sharpish. 

8 minutes ago, A_A wehatethehibs said:

Just mean, it feels like folk have been absolutely slating Lee and Halliday, whereas Irving is some kind of golden boy for some folk and should be guaranteed starts ahead of them. Not for me. As I’ve said if he can’t get ahead of these pretty average guys this season, what chance has he got when we say goodbye to Lee at the end of his deal this summer, and look to bring in one or two international / English championship class midfielders? That’s the performance / athlete level Neilson will want. Games like this weekend will tell us the story is with Irving - he needs to put some shift in if he is to win the trust of the new manager and get ahead of the experienced midfielders. And he needs to do it fairly sharpish. 

I think he is a victim of Robbie's tinkering more than anything.

And are we really going to bring in English championship class midfielders next season?

And is this Falkirk 50/50 thing a rumour, or a guess?

A_A wehatethehibs
21 minutes ago, Nookie Bear said:

I think he is a victim of Robbie's tinkering more than anything.

And are we really going to bring in English championship class midfielders next season?

And is this Falkirk 50/50 thing a rumour, or a guess?

I just picked Falkirk because he was there before, if he does leave I’m sure he will want regular starts. I mean 50-50 whether he makes it into the team at Hearts or finds himself away in search of game time.

As for tinkering, thankfully there’s been none whatsoever so far. Actually been a clear pattern to the selection in midfield with the experienced players favoured. Neilson made it his top priority to sign an experienced left sided central midfielder Andy Halliday. That’s Irving’s position... 

As for bringing in English championship class next summer, Neilson knows better than anyone that when we are up, the fans will demand immediate challenge to qualify for Europe. So Neilson needs quality, Irving has the remainder of this season to prove that he is in that class of player, IE ready to push for Scotland caps and dominate games consistently for Hearts.