Engine room again

Clerry Jambo

maroonlegions

Irvin and Haring. 

Lee and Halliday just slow things down. 

Bit disappointed that Harry has still not considered , game time is what sparks any player into his form. 

Naismith has been dropping deep in games to receive the ball but then he passes it further back which allows teams to press up on us.  He needs to stay further forward.  A great example of this is the Halliday goal.  Naisy receives it about 40 yards from goal he turns and plays in Boyce who then plays in Halliday.  Suddenly in one moment of going forward instead of back we have created a goal scored by a midfielder who might otherwise have been hanging around the halfway line.   

loveofthegame
15 minutes ago, maroonlegions said:

Irvin and Haring. 

Bit disappointed that Harry has still not considered , game time is what sparks any player into his form. 

Have there been any reports of how Harry is getting on at Montrose?

scott herbertson
14 minutes ago, loveofthegame said:

Have there been any reports of how Harry is getting on at Montrose?

Gets a positive mention in this report of their last game

https://www.montrosefc.co.uk/64-match-details/season-2020-21/2356-clyde-v-montrose-21-11-20

and a more in depth ;look previously here

https://www.edinburghnews.scotsman.com/sport/football/hearts/hearts-youngster-harry-cochrane-buzzing-after-positive-start-loan-spell-montrose-3039554

Interesting that RN mentioned that Haring will be fine for the weekend. I'd assumed there was no chance he would pick him for a League Cup game especially after playing a full game midweek but maybe he will play.

1 hour ago, maroonlegions said:

Irvin and Haring. 

Yes would like to see Harry more.

8 hours ago, Hungry hippo said:

Interesting that RN mentioned that Haring will be fine for the weekend. I'd assumed there was no chance he would pick him for a League Cup game especially after playing a full game midweek but maybe he will play.

Think after this weekends match we are at a one match a week schedule. Assume plan is to get Haring totally up to speed before Celtic cup final. I felt he looked very rusty v.s Inverness in the 2-1 win however his performance v.s Alloa was very positive. 

17 hours ago, Clerry Jambo said:

Exactly the type we are missing and desperate for 

They Don’t come along too often nowadays.

2 hours ago, stotty said:

I'm 41 and off the top of my head can only think of Cameron and Hartley! 

Can we also get a few more like Fulton Salvatori Flogel Mcann Miko Skacel Brellier Aguiar to go with them do you think? Another Paul Ritchie Davie Weir and Gary Naysmith would be nice too😂

Hearts always had a solid central defence in my years at Tynie and it's been missing for too long. When you think back to the likes of Craig Levein, Sandy Jardine, Dave McPherson, Alan McLaren, Paul Ritchie, David Weir, Steven Pressley etc. The only player that i've seen and felt extremely comfortable watching in defence in recent years was Jimmy Dunne. Others had their moments but we've had too many Kucharski's and Bouzid's to keep us from being solid at the back. 

The defence needs sorted sooner rather than later and also the front line. 

39 minutes ago, jambonian said:

Hearts always had a solid central defence in my years at Tynie and it's been missing for too long. When you think back to the likes of Craig Levein, Sandy Jardine, Dave McPherson, Alan McLaren, Paul Ritchie, David Weir, Steven Pressley etc. The only player that i've seen and felt extremely comfortable watching in defence in recent years was Jimmy Dunne. Others had their moments but we've had too many Kucharski's and Bouzid's to keep us from being solid at the back. 

We've had some brilliant centre halves over the years. Berra was superb prior to his injury too. 

On 26/11/2020 at 08:27, Deevers said:

Still think we need a bit more pace and ingenuity in there.

Agree totally. Was disappointed we never manged to get someone in before the window closed.

Brighton Jambo

I just don’t understand people still calling to see more of Harry Cochrane.  He is playing for Montrose and is clearly nowhere near the level required to play for Hearts and I personally don’t think he ever will be.  

5 hours ago, jambonian said:

Good post mate. We have had some top notch defenders bought or just came through the system. Our downfall has been bringing through a strong midfield player or a striker that scored regularly.

On 26/11/2020 at 10:17, gordiegords said:

If only Colin Cameron did seminars.

It’s horrible how midfielders are honed/ bred now. Over emphasis on passing and possession has seen a generation of “safe” midfielders develop.

What’s the first thing you think of when you talk about CC? Dynamic, on the move, going past his opponent after a pass or if he dribbles, but you don’t necessarily have to dribble past players as a midfielder. Just make yourself hard to pin down, work your opponent by making him defend.  

Can hardly remember the last time a Hearts midfielder did a simple 1-2 with his striker?  Its probably happened but far more rare in today’s game.  

1 hour ago, Brighton Jambo said:

I just don’t understand people still calling to see more of Harry Cochrane.  He is playing for Montrose and is clearly nowhere near the level required to play for Hearts and I personally don’t think he ever will be.  

He was good enough a few years ago, thats the most frustrating part. So many of our youth seem to go backwards after initial promise. 

Fwiw I thought Harry done well in that Raith cup game, would give him another shot.  Irving was out at Falkirk few seasons ago and not getting rave reviews..

1 hour ago, Brighton Jambo said:

He played out his skin when he first was given a chance. And that’s not just the game against Celtic. Hearts big problem is persevering with old players and not bringing through youngsters.  Unfortunately Robbie seems to follow the Levein approach to youngsters. 

Tennant's  6's
8 hours ago, OldGorgie said:

Unfortunately Robbie seems to follow the Levein approach to youngsters. 

He did talk up McGill & Logan in pre season, maybe the youngsters just aren't showing enough in training. 

It would be good to see some younger guys forcing their way into the team

A_A wehatethehibs

Good to see a direct example of players responding to the managers orders. Shows you the difference having an organised manager who can identify the strengths and weaknesses in own his teams performance - and give effective instructions to the players, to fix and improve things. In his own methodical way Neilson is fixing each problem in the squad. There will be more losses this season in games like Dunfermline away, it’s inevitable with the amount of flawed players. But we’re winning games at a 90% win to loss ratio at present so that’s got to be good as a starting point for the rebuild. 

Night and day from last season when Stendells players appeared to run out at times not fully understanding his instructions or having any kind of game plan, beyond “taking risks” and chucking players forward aimlessly. 

2 hours ago, Tennant's 6's said:

He did talk up McGill & Logan in pre season, maybe the youngsters just aren't showing enough in training. 

It would be good to see some younger guys forcing their way into the team

Is Logan a right back? I can't remember, but if he is, why was he not on the bench against Alloa? I still cringe when i think of Popescu coming on in place of Smith. Even Brandon could've been there, one or the other. Not the best but at least a right back.

Tennant's  6's
13 minutes ago, jambonian said:

Is Logan a right back? I can't remember, but if he is, why was he not on the bench against Alloa? I still cringe when i think of Popescu coming on in place of Smith. Even Brandon could've been there, one or the other. Not the best but at least a right back.

Yeah, I'm sure he is, I've never seen him play though. 

I always liked the look of Connor Smith, but time will tell how many of them make the breakthrough this season.

On 26/11/2020 at 08:47, TexasAndy said:

Naismith has been dropping deep in games to receive the ball but then he passes it further back which allows teams to press up on us.  He needs to stay further forward.  A great example of this is the Halliday goal.  Naisy receives it about 40 yards from goal he turns and plays in Boyce who then plays in Halliday.  Suddenly in one moment of going forward instead of back we have created a goal scored by a midfielder who might otherwise have been hanging around the halfway line.   

Spot on.

4 hours ago, jambonian said:

Absolutely.  His subs were very disappointing.  Same old merry-go-round. 

5 hours ago, A_A wehatethehibs said:

Good to see a direct example of players responding to the managers orders. Shows you the difference having an organised manager who can identify the strengths and weaknesses in own his teams performance - and give effective instructions to the players, to fix and improve things. In his own methodical way Neilson is fixing each problem in the squad. There will be more losses this season in games like Dunfermline away, it’s inevitable with the amount of flawed players. But we’re winning games at a 90% win to loss ratio at present so that’s got to be good as a starting point for the rebuild. 

Night and day from last season when Stendells players appeared to run out at times not fully understanding his instructions or having any kind of game plan, beyond “taking risks” and chucking players forward aimlessly. 

Firstly, that's what we pay Neilson to do : it basically his job, although he was totally incapable of fixing things during the Pars game (don't get me wrong, I like Neilson but nothing he did in that game worked). 

Secondly, I sincerely hope we're not going to see more losses like Dunfermline (that's not to say we'll not come unstuck but performances need to improve drastically , quickly and more consistently). "From Here to Paisley" podcast made a good point : Hearts midfield got bossed by a Celtic loanee, a guy who was playing for a Stranraer a year ago and a Hibs cast off from yesteryear. 

17 hours ago, Debut 4 said:

It’s horrible how midfielders are honed/ bred now. Over emphasis on passing and possession has seen a generation of “safe” midfielders develop.

What’s the first thing you think of when you talk about CC? Dynamic, on the move, going past his opponent after a pass or if he dribbles, but you don’t necessarily have to dribble past players as a midfielder. Just make yourself hard to pin down, work your opponent by making him defend.  

Can hardly remember the last time a Hearts midfielder did a simple 1-2 with his striker?  Its probably happened but far more rare in today’s game.  

Totally agree with you, Cameron was very mobile and always look to burst a gut to get into that space Beyond the oppositions defence, a brilliant player for us. Hartley similar, maybe that’s the plant with Halliday, could really do with it.