Football Bucket List

Locky

The passing of Maradona has made me think how much I'd love to go to a game or 2 in Argentina, and also a Napoli game. Proper bucket list material. I've been lucky enough to go to a lot of games in different countries recently, but not many really of a bucket list nature. So, off the top of my head, here's a few.

- Go to a game in Argentina (Boca, River, San Lorenzo, I'm not that fussy)

- Go to a Napoli game (never really been a fan as such, it just seems to be a magnificent place to visit)

- Watch a match in the San Siro (in its current guise)

- Watch a match in the Mestalla (a stadium I've just really liked for some reason)

What's yours?

Forgot to mention, I went to a Millwall game last season which was on my football bucket list. No reason, other than I just wanted to experience it. :lol: It certainly didn't disappoint.

Bazzas right boot
18 minutes ago, Locky said:

The passing of Maradona has made me think how much I'd love to go to a game or 2 in Argentina, and also a Napoli game. Proper bucket list material. I've been lucky enough to go to a lot of games in different countries recently, but not many really of a bucket list nature. So, off the top of my head, here's a few.

- Go to a Napoli game (never really been a fan as such, it just seems to be a magnificent place to visit)

- Watch a match in the Mestalla (a stadium I've just really liked for some reason)

What's yours?

Mestalla was one I always wanted to go to, think its retired now tho. 

I'd like to watch a game from the wall in Dortmand. 

Napoli would also be on my list but maybe Roma v lazio would top it. 

Watching us away in a European competition is my main one, was a little too young for Bordeaux but looked amazing.

Scotland at a World Cup ideally outwith Europe.

Im with you regarding River or Boca. I’m hopefully heading to Buenos Aires next year, Covid provided, so will hopefully get it ticked off then.

I’ve visited the San Siro, Allianz and the Nou Camp but still want to visit the Westfalen, San Paolo, Wanda and Bernabau.

35 minutes ago, Locky said:

Actually was at an Inter game in January, the stadium is very run down. Great experience but less legroom than Rugby Park in the away end. 

SectionDJambo
10 minutes ago, Smith's right boot said:

I did the Yellow Wall for my 60th birthday. It’s a young man’s game. 😉

Obviously enjoyed it, but it’ll be a seat for me next time.

If you ever make it, get there early. The Dortmund fans don’t hang about to get their spot.

I could never have imagined how much I miss Tynecastle Park. Really hoping we can get back in soon.

1 hour ago, Locky said:

Forgot to mention, I went to a Millwall game last season which was on my football bucket list. No reason, other than I just wanted to experience it. :lol: It certainly didn't disappoint.

I went to a Millwall game in 89 against Liverpool. Ended up in the away end definitely was an experience after the game. 

millerjames398
1 hour ago, Locky said:

What's yours?

Defo man, wouldnt even have to be the river v boca derby, pretty much anyone of the other Buenos Aires derbies would do..El loco time😆🇱🇻

Pasquale for King
1 hour ago, Locky said:

What's yours?

I saw him at Hampden but don’t really remember it as I was a kid. To see Messi in Barcelona seeing as he missed the Murrayfield game. 

been here before
1 hour ago, jonesy said:

Was in the stadium for Deek's debut for Shaanxi Chanba, I don't think anything will be needed to top that.

I was there when he made his debut st York City.

Jackie MacNamara was manager at the time before that odd situation where he got sacked then replaced himself interim until someone else came along.

Simon Donnelly was also imvolved in some capacity though having had a spot of Courvoisier I cant remember what it was exactly.

Edited by been here before

Having a distant but excited memory of Hearts winning the league twice, top of my list is seeing us do it again.

First to concede that it is probably harder than ever but we live in hope.

Jambo in Japan

Hearts away in Europe (and with a crowd. Not one of these first round qualifiers with only a few hundred home fans.)

Scotland away at a World Cup, 

Boca Juniors game in Argentina

Hearts winning the title. 

Hearts avenging 0-7 numerically.

Hibs deid. 

All in the same season, ideally, but I'm not precious about it. 

4 hours ago, jonesy said:

Was in the stadium for Deek's debut for Shaanxi Chanba, I don't think anything will be needed to top that.

Who’s deek? 

Always wanted to go to Fenerbhace v Galatasaray.

Been to a Milan Derby, Real v Barca and Barca v Real. Would love to go to a world cup. Might actually go to Qatar depending on how it goes with ease of travel etc. Need to see what the set up is like with regards to drinking as well.

1 hour ago, martoon said:

Hearts winning the title. 

Hearts avenging 0-7 numerically.

Hibs deid. 

All in the same season, ideally, but I'm not precious about it. 

The thinking man.  Would love to buy you a pint.

StirlingJambo

Hearts to get to the group stages of Europe for me. Would try get to all away games as never experienced it.

On another note a group of us went to Prague and we ended up at a Sparta Prague game on the bevy. Turned out that if they won that game they won the league. Think it was the 13/14 season and ended up 6-2 win with big Bednar coming of the bench. Class weekend.

Samuel Camazzola
8 hours ago, Locky said:

What's yours?

8 hours ago, Smith's right boot said:

The Mestalla is one you maybe want to consider first. The new stadium has been under construction for a number of years and due to various hurdles and politics, the club's move has been delayed. 

When restrictions on travel are eased and fan access is allowed, it would be a good time to go to avoid disappointment. You could take in a Levante game too as they are not too far away. 

Bazzas right boot
1 hour ago, Samuel Camazzola said:

The Mestalla is one you maybe want to consider first. The new stadium has been under construction for a number of years and due to various hurdles and politics, the club's move has been delayed. 

When restrictions on travel are eased and fan access is allowed, it would be a good time to go to avoid disappointment. You could take in a Levante game too as they are not too far away. 

Thanks for info. 

Lucky to have seen Hearts away in Europe (Basel, Bordeaux, Prague x 2, Majorca, Stuttgart). Fab memories.

If I had the chance to go to South America, It would have to be the Bombanera for a Boca match, seems to be amazing ....

and Penarol in Montevideo too ......

13 hours ago, Mr Rabbit said:

Watching us away in a European competition is my main one, was a little too young for Bordeaux but looked amazing.

Scotland at a World Cup ideally outwith Europe.

Im with you regarding River or Boca. I’m hopefully heading to Buenos Aires next year, Covid provided, so will hopefully get it ticked off then.

I’ve visited the San Siro, Allianz and the Nou Camp but still want to visit the Westfalen, San Paolo, Wanda and Bernabau.

Yeah your first one is quite an obvious one for me too that I forgot. Since I've been old enough to really do a Euro trip, we've only left the UK to play in Tallinn and Malta. Sadly couldn't make either. But for sure, a Euro trip away with Hearts would be utterly incredible. I can only dream of getting to do one like Boredeaux, Basel, Feyenoord etc. 

12 hours ago, SteauaNeedarest said:

Actually was at an Inter game in January, the stadium is very run down. Great experience but less legroom than Rugby Park in the away end. 

Yeah I've heard it's not great in some respects, it's just one of those stadiums I've longed to visit. Always been a big fan of Italian football, and sort of grew up liking Inter, so the San Siro is just one of those iconic stadiums I'd love to say I've been to.

12 hours ago, Weebroon98 said:

I went to a Millwall game in 89 against Liverpool. Ended up in the away end definitely was an experience after the game. 

I was there just last season for a Friday night game vs Forest. Probably very tame compared to days of old, but was still a nice experience. Having been to a few PL stadiums, and even the new West Ham ground, just weeks before, it was a whole new world of English football really. That said, not too dissimilar to a lot of Scottish grounds most weeks.

3 hours ago, Harry Potter said:

Always wanted to take in a Newcastle game, not too far.

I highly recommend it. My mate is a Newcastle fan and I've been down to quite a few games with him home and away. St James' is definitely one of my favourite grounds, and a great atmosphere. Proper fans and people in Newcastle, and a great city for a day out on the bevvy and at the football. Good few pubs right outside the ground, but you're literally a 10 minute walk from the train station anyway, so no excuse not to do a pub crawl.

37 minutes ago, Locky said:

I highly recommend it. My mate is a Newcastle fan and I've been down to quite a few games with him home and away. St James' is definitely one of my favourite grounds, and a great atmosphere. Proper fans and people in Newcastle, and a great city for a day out on the bevvy and at the football. Good few pubs right outside the ground, but you're literally a 10 minute walk from the train station anyway, so no excuse not to do a pub crawl.

sounds awwsome,👍

4 hours ago, Harry Potter said:

Always a good day out going to a Newcastle game . My English team is Liverpool if I can't get myself to Anfield and want to go see an English game I go to St James Park . Early start on the train down Proper fans, Nice ground , Cracking city and a good night out. 

Edited by Stu_HMFC

14 hours ago, Locky said:

What's yours?

The Mestella is one of my favourites. Outstanding stadium in a hugely underrated city. 

Naples is crazy and very pleased to say I've been to a game over there. 

Seville is worth a trip too. Football daft city. 2 great stadiums despite one being green. 

Id love to go to a German game doesn't have to be Dortmund or Bayern would like to experience it.

I was close to going to a Barcelona game a few years ago in the semi final of the champions league v Bayern as I was there for a city break and they still had tickets when went for the stadium tour but my partner at the time was against it and never wanted to go. I always wanted to go to the nou camp for a game but  I have now went right of Barcelona. I done an Ajax stadium tour but no real interest in Dutch football . A game in Germany would be ideal or eastern Europe .

I try to get in a couple of football trips each year although this year hasnt gone to plan. 

Outwith watching Hearts in europe, I've been to Ajax, Dortmund, Barcelona, 1860 Munich, Newcastle, West Ham, Chelsea, Fulham, Millwall, Bolton, Levante for the derby against Valencia, in the away end and been to the Mestalla 4 or 5 times to see Valencia. They are the only professional team outwith Hearts that I would say i have any affiliation to and actively watch games. I love the Mestalla

Last year we did a cracking wee trip, flew to Milan and went To Bologna V Inter on Saturday, Atalanta v Calgari on sunday morning and Milan v Lazio on the sunday night at the San Siro. The San Siro was brilliant, proper wow factor. My favourite from that trip was probably Atalanta though, in behind the goals with the ultras, the atmosphere was outstanding.

5 hours ago, Harry Potter said:

Definitely should.ive been quite a few times.Train from Waverly 12.30.get in at 2.couple of beers at number 9,watch game.1745 train back.In Waverly 1915.Great day out.

I did the San Siro last year.

A must visit even though it is outdated and falling apart.

Napoli another that I have been to.

Same as the San Siro in it being outdated.

Couple of Basque clubs.

Athletic Bilbao and Real Sociedad on my list.

would like to visit Sampdoria and Torino in Italy.

In England Elland Road on my list.

Weirdly in England Liverpool,Man Utd and Everton are shitholes in the away end

Man Utd looks good on tv but concourse area and leg room are shockingly outdated. 

1 hour ago, norrie1952 said:

Definitely should.ive been quite a few times.Train from Waverly 12.30.get in at 2.couple of beers at number 9,watch game.1745 train back.In Waverly 1915.Great day out.

cheers,

9 hours ago, Harry Potter said:

Went to see them play Man United at St James in 08. Miserable result from a Newcastle POV (1-5) but all the same had the pleasure of seeing players like Rooney and Ronaldo in the flesh

I'd like to see Lionel Messi play before he retires, have already seen Cristiano Ronaldo so ticking Messi off would be great. Family members from Manchester are long time City fans so if he ends up there I'll make sure to go to a game with them.

To go to Germany and experience a match there as well.