Joining the Police from the Armed Forces.

Negan

Looking to leave my current job within the armed forces and joining Police Scotland is something I've been wanting to do for a while now. Just looking to see if anyone has done this before or knows the best way to go about this with regards to handing in notices and sending off application forms etc. I have to give a years notice of leave in my current job. 

Any help would be great!

Fxxx the SPFL
1 minute ago, Negan said:

Looking to leave my current job within the armed forces and joining Police Scotland is something I've been wanting to do for a while now. Just looking to see if anyone has done this before or knows the best way to go about this with regards to handing in notices and sending off application forms etc. I have to give a years notice of leave in my current job. 

Any help would be great!

what i do know through my work is the Police Scotland pension scheme is really good with a cracking lump sum and pension when you retire although the contributions are about 12% you may wish to think about transferring your Army Pension but speak to a pension expert beforehand good luck and enjoy the training at Tulliallan.

12 minutes ago, **** the SPFL said:

what i do know through my work is the Police Scotland pension scheme is really good with a cracking lump sum and pension when you retire although the contributions are about 12% you may wish to think about transferring your Army Pension but speak to a pension expert beforehand good luck and enjoy the training at Tulliallan.

Cheers! transferring my pension is what I intend to do, just wasn't sure you could.

Doctor FinnBarr
2 hours ago, Negan said:

Cheers! transferring my pension is what I intend to do, just wasn't sure you could.

Certain my brother did it when he left the Signals to join Lancashire plod, thats not strictly true, he'd one or two jobs going nowhere before he applied for plod. No idea how easy the process was though but he managed (mid 80s I'd reckon).

7 hours ago, Negan said:

Any help would be great!

https://www.joiningthepolice.co.uk/

Edited by ri Alban

Got a mate who left the Army after 21 years service, took 6 months off and joined Police Scotland at the age of 40.

He's now a Sergeant which was the same rank he held when he left the Army.

8 hours ago, ri Alban said:

I didn't realise you could join the police at 50. Might join for a laugh a d pension. 

Its been that way here since the late eighties.  Changed days I came here and applied for the police in 1967. I was thirty two, twelve years police service and three years army, Application not accepted too old. It was to do with the retirement plan.  I was fortunate that a couple of years later they opened a new police force for the Ports and needed men with experience so I got in, Federal job so pensions were good. Retired as Chief, excellent pension so what seemed a curse turned into a blessing.  One of the best days in my life was when I was with the Vancouver Police chief and a couple of his officers, and he made a statement that his department must have been stupid to have not taken me but probably hired a nineteen year old who quit after a year or so and the money training him was wasted. My last official function was attending a Police Academy Graduation in 1991 where one of the recruits was a retired school teacher being sworn in. 

Governor Tarkin
3 hours ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

Got a mate who left the Army after 21 years service, took 6 months off and joined Police Scotland at the age of 40.

He's now a Sergeant which was the same rank he held when he left the Army.

Excellent. 

Should be well qualified to rough up miscreants too.

7 hours ago, Negan said:

I am at the ripe old ago of 29 (30 in January) so i feel like this is the ideal time to make this career move.

If I was asked it is what I would recommend, at least 25. I started when I was twenty, despite military service I was still a babe when meeting true police work. The other thing is if you join young you retire young which means another job in retirement.  When I got into my last Department at 34 I was mature, knew what I wanted, and about the politics of organisations. I was able to identify my own weaknesses and took immediate action to rectify. I learned that there was no need to take anyones crap, but to be wise in when I contradicted or criticised. I was still able to retire at fifty six which was for me the perfect time. Never considered any employment and was financially able to live for my wife and I the life we wanted,  Police service total, 36 years, October started in to my 31st year of retirement.

13 hours ago, Sharpie said:

Its been that way here since the late eighties.  Changed days I came here and applied for the police in 1967. I was thirty two, twelve years police service and three years army, Application not accepted too old. It was to do with the retirement plan.  I was fortunate that a couple of years later they opened a new police force for the Ports and needed men with experience so I got in, Federal job so pensions were good. Retired as Chief, excellent pension so what seemed a curse turned into a blessing.  One of the best days in my life was when I was with the Vancouver Police chief and a couple of his officers, and he made a statement that his department must have been stupid to have not taken me but probably hired a nineteen year old who quit after a year or so and the money training him was wasted. My last official function was attending a Police Academy Graduation in 1991 where one of the recruits was a retired school teacher being sworn in. 

Superb Sharpie. Life is hard, but It does have its moments. Thanks for sharing some of those moments. 

On 26/11/2020 at 04:37, ri Alban said:

I didn't realise you could join the police at 50. Might join for a laugh a d pension. 

Thought you left at 50.

Ainsley Harriott
On 26/11/2020 at 04:37, ri Alban said:

I'm gobsmacked your 50

9 hours ago, Harry Potter said:

Thought you left at 50.

I was reading up on it, and couldn't believe my eyes. Hazza. I Could be a copper, for that pension. :)

8 minutes ago, ri Alban said:

I was reading up on it, and couldn't believe my eyes. Hazza. I Could be a copper, for that pension. :)

The pension is rather good, 

22 minutes ago, ri Alban said:

:Agree:

Mine is excellent. When I was about four years old walking with my Dad in So Clerk Street. He pointed to a man walking on the other side, see him he said, me aye Dad,  Him. he's retired polis, see his shirt, polis issue, see his troosers polis issue, he has a pension and had a free hoose, thats what you're going to be Police. That never stopped. Left school at fifteen worked as an apprentice motor mechanic, sold gas, painted the garage, swept floors, greased cars never repaired anything knew I was not an apprentice just cheap labor until I got called up at eighteen. Decided on the army liked the Guards hats and uniforms so decided that was where I was going, my old man said not with my signature your not, so we hit an obstacle. A man he worked with had a son in the police who had been in the Guards, he told the old man let him go to the guards, the police will be fighting to get him. I did, at seventeen, served three years and got a course by the regiment when due for discharge for police recruitment policies and how to fulfil them. Had contact from about eight forces willing to process me, but went to Edinburgh. The old man was so right in what he said to that wee boy eighty one years ago, as I stated earlier whether I had stayed or did as I chose and left Edinburgh my pension life would have started at similar times.  If ever there is good bait to get people in the police service the pension must be high on the list.

Edited by Sharpie

3 minutes ago, Sharpie said:

Mine is excellent. When I was about four years old walking with my Dad in So Clerk Street. He pointed to a man walking on the other side, see him he said, me aye Dad,  Him. he's retired polis, see his shirt, polis issue, see his troosers polis issue, he has a pension and had a free hoose, thats what you're going to be Police. That never stopped. Left school at fifteen worked as an apprentice motor mechanic, sold gas, painted the garage, swept floors, greased cars never repaired anything knew I was not an apprentice just cheap labor until I got called up at eighteen. Decided on the army liked the Guards hats and uniforms so decided that was where I was going, my old man said not with my signature your not, so we hit an obstacle. A man he worked with had a son in the police who had been in the Guards, he told the old man let him go to the guards, the police will be fighting to get him. I did, at seventeen, served three years and got a course by the regiment when due for discharge for police recruitment policies and how to fulfil them. Had contact from about eight forces willing to process me, but went to Edinburgh. The old man was so right in what he said to that wee boy eighty one years ago, as I stated earlier whether I had stayed or did as I chose and left Edinburgh my pension life would have started at similar times.  If ever there is good bait to get people in the police service the pension must be high on the list.

👍

Hear Sharpie, I take it you're pretty tall. What do you think about the scrapping of the minimum height. Good or bad. 

20 minutes ago, ri Alban said:

👍

Hear Sharpie, I take it you're pretty tall. What do you think about the scrapping of the minimum height. Good or bad. 

Bad, nothing worse than a wee man trying to make up for height when given power. My army service and police service both had height restrictions for entry.     When I joined the army I was measures at 6' 1", when I was being recruited for Edinburgh Police I was measured at 5'10" pushing the height for the police, I was quite worried but had left army as sergeant and could go back, then they all started laughhing the man measuring was a former guardsman and was puling my chain.

Edited by Sharpie

Just now, Sharpie said:

Bad, nothing worse than a wee man trying to make up for height when given power. My army service and police service both had height restrictions for entry.

I agree 100%

24 minutes ago, ri Alban said:

I agree 100%

I do have to say though that it is different times, so many of the police are mobilised and the vehicles are not always the largest. My mind still goes back to the days of beats when the policemans size and bearing had a lot to do with his relationship to the public. Now they have an abundance of protective equipment which I would assume goes the same thing. Its so long since I left that the recruit class on my last days I saw graduate are probably all retired.

17 hours ago, Sharpie said:

If I was asked it is what I would recommend, at least 25. I started when I was twenty, despite military service I was still a babe when meeting true police work. The other thing is if you join young you retire young which means another job in retirement.  When I got into my last Department at 34 I was mature, knew what I wanted, and about the politics of organisations. I was able to identify my own weaknesses and took immediate action to rectify. I learned that there was no need to take anyones crap, but to be wise in when I contradicted or criticised. I was still able to retire at fifty six which was for me the perfect time. Never considered any employment and was financially able to live for my wife and I the life we wanted,  Police service total, 36 years, October started in to my 31st year of retirement.

Thats awesome! all good positive feedback, cheers lads/lasses.

14 hours ago, Harry Potter said:

The pension is rather good, 

Not necessarily!   I know a guy who joined the police as an older recruit.  He did 20 years before having to retire due to him reaching 60.  On retiring his monthly pension was not high enough to pay tax on.  

1 hour ago, Jamstomorrow said:

Not necessarily!   I know a guy who joined the police as an older recruit.  He did 20 years before having to retire due to him reaching 60.  On retiring his monthly pension was not high enough to pay tax on.  

20 years is quite a long time as well, 

2 hours ago, Harry Potter said:

4 hours ago, Jamstomorrow said:

For the life of me I cannot imagine joining and carrying out full police duties at forty years of age into your late fifties.

On 25/11/2020 at 21:26, Negan said:

Any help would be great!

I left the army and thought about joining the police. I got feedback from a few serving police officers some good some bad. I joined as a Special Constable for a couple of years to see what it was like. Personally it was not for me, too much paperwork and it felt like you were the criminal when you had to go to court as a witness. 

I believe the pension is potentially changing in 2022 and retirement at 60 will not be automatic. Don’t know if it’ll happen 

I’m only wee and joined when I was 38 😀

1 hour ago, Jamhammer said:

I believe the pension is potentially changing in 2022 and retirement at 60 will not be automatic. Don’t know if it’ll happen 

I’m only wee and joined when I was 38 😀

I suppose having a radio, hand cuffs, a car, is it mace the spray, size doesn't matter. We got a notebook and a 12" inch wooden baton and a whistle., and patrolled beats day and night alone. mind you at six feet the baton down a side trouser leg pocket was well off the ground, added protection in  my early days on night shift was the old acid battery Wooten Lantern which was carried on the issued leather belt and backing.but that was all we needed the next beat man was never that far away, of course that was in the bad days when you were well advised before the initial recruiting interview  to never mention the pay or pension, I told them i liked people and loved working outside and this was the job to do it in. Night shift at Niddrie took in Niddrie Mains, Greendykes, Niddrie  Marischal, but there were hardly any businesses so there wasn't many locks to pull.

Weakened Offender
On 26/11/2020 at 13:48, Governor Tarkin said:

Excellent. 

Should be well qualified to rough up miscreants too.

The police are way too soft these days. Most of them are wee fat dumpy saps. 😔

1 hour ago, Weakened Offender said:

Even I wouldn't go that far:bobby:

2 hours ago, Weakened Offender said:

I was in my local chippie a wee while ago and while it’s not unusual to see police from Drylaw in there for their healthy dinner I was a bit shocked to see one with his pistol in a holster.  Bit tricky firing accurately when you just eaten a greasy fish supper in your car. 

2 hours ago, Tazio said:

I was in my local chippie a wee while ago and while it’s not unusual to see police from Drylaw in there for their healthy dinner I was a bit shocked to see one with his pistol in a holster.  Bit tricky firing accurately when you just eaten a greasy fish supper in your car. 

Thats how far out of the news I am, I knew they were armed at times but had no idea they were armed on a regular basis. In the traditional attitude of someone who has achieved old age I say its no like it used tae be.

12 minutes ago, Sharpie said:

Thats how far out of the news I am, I knew they were armed at times but had no idea they were armed on a regular basis. In the traditional attitude of someone who has achieved old age I say its no like it used tae be.

They aren’t armed on a regular basis apart from specially trained officers on response units which is why I was so shocked to see on casually wandering into a shop. 

14 minutes ago, Tazio said:

They aren’t armed on a regular basis apart from specially trained officers on response units which is why I was so shocked to see on casually wandering into a shop. 

Well I guess he achieved his purpose people saw he had a big gun. I doubt though that they were as impressed as he thought they would be.  I wore a gun here for twenty four years, at first we had closed holsters, then we got the open holster with a wee bit of leather clip to secure them. I never felt comfortable wearing it because I always thought  I was because someone may shoot at me, and I did not feel good about that at all. I have mentioned it before, my guys when I retired were costing a fortune because of their waist belt loaded with equipment, I don't know how it would have been to have to use it, but it did give some a gunfighter type swagger  again in the old words  all show no action.