Diego Maradona R.I.P. (merged threads)

King prawn

N Lincs Jambo

He was undoubtedly a totally amazing player. I can’t really get to grips with this greatest of all time sort of arguments. Pele, Maradona, Cruyff, Best, Platini, Maldini. All amazing players and they all played in a team sport involving 11 players. The better you are the better the players you will have around you certainly at international level.

You can argue that without Maradona Argentina wouldn’t have won in 86. Possible but disrespectful to his team mates. They didn’t win in 90 and he was still a major player for them. 

Main thing is that a legend of the game has sadly passed away and imho the world is a poorer place for it. RIP Diego.

• Replies 273
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Morgan

• ri Alban

• John Findlay

• been here before

7 minutes ago, Cruyff said:

The part of Maradona's game often overlooked. 

Some determination there - and remarkable defensive skill and timing.  He played football with all of his body and the space around it, and he seemed to have the lowest centre of gravity of any footballer ever.

2 minutes ago, Tazio said:

I’ve just seen a tweet with all the front pages of the English tabloids tomorrow. 
Disgraceful from all of them. 

Little Bitterland. 

Englands captain is the biggest diver on the planet. 

1 hour ago, bigcoll said:

Didn't score at all at Italian 9o, however he famously set up canigia for his winner verses Brazil 

I was talking about Lineker. 

Maradonna was past his peak by then but still helped his team reach the final. 

Bazzas right boot
1 hour ago, Cruyff said:

The part of Maradona's game often overlooked. 

The speed of him tackling to picking a pass is frightening. 

Enjoyed that clip. 

8 hours ago, Nookie Bear said:

Did he not present a documentary years back where he met up with Diego. Complete mutual respect although Lineker was in awe of Diego’s hero status in Argentina. 

8 hours ago, Malinga the Swinga said:

Lineker interviewed Maradona and always said he bore no grudge. It's what professionals do. 

Another who saw him at Hampden when he was just starting out and at that time, we didn't see foreign games on TV so he was unknown player with fantastic reputation. 

He tore what was a good Scotland team apart and did it with a smile on his face. 

He was also a tough little player who could really mix it at a time tackling was brutal. The Barca Cup final in Spain is just unbelievable with the fighting something you won't ever see again. 

One of the lucky few to see him in the flesh. I was hoping to join you when they came to hampden pre Italian 90. But hey, I got to witness Craig Levein giving out a lesson to a certain Claudio Canniggia.

Edited by ri Alban

They keep going on about the “hand of god” and to dampen their memories of him in 86, waltzing through their whole team, and scoring that other amazing goal. You can’t erase history. What a player.

RIP Diego. One of the greatest players to ever have lived. 

Seen him at the Hampden game. That entire team were differentclass but he was a class above.

Edited by TypoonJambo

Malinga the Swinga
21 minutes ago, glynnlondon said:

3FA52215-8E89-447B-AABA-DF414E04CEB2.jpeg

Such a shame when everyone pays respect to English world Cup winners such as Banks, Charlton and Stiles that English fans can't do same for Maradona. 

Achieved more in his career than most and will be remembered as one of the best. 

8 hours ago, Smith's right boot said:

The speed of him tackling to picking a pass is frightening. 

Enjoyed that clip. 

Was that Periera in goals for the final clip? Anyhow, I'll have to watch it again and count how many times opposition players ended up on their arse. Hilarious. 😆

Spitonastranger
12 hours ago, Smithee said:

Lineker? I don't think he got even a yellow card in his career mate. Say what you like about him but he was a good, honest pro.

I'm not saying he never took a single dive (that human being doesn't exist) but he had no reputation at all for that stuff.

Just jobbing himself on the pitch and wiping it on the grass :cornette:

2 hours ago, Hearts1975 said:

They keep going on about the “hand of god” and to dampen their memories of him in 86, waltzing through their whole team, and scoring that other amazing goal. You can’t erase history. What a player.

RIP Diego. One of the greatest players to ever have lived. 

Bloody defending for that second goal though. Wouldn;'t have got within 40 yards of the goal if it was against the Italians.

Unfortunately England are just too faira nation when it comes to football.

I P Knightley
1 hour ago, theo1874 said:

Very respectful and a great story from Lineker.

I've heard Lineker tell that keepy-uppy story before. There's a similar one of him at White Hart Lane in '86 for Ossie Ardiles' testimonial. And if you look around, you might find a more recent clip of him shirtless on a tennis court doing the same with a tennis ball. Phenomenal skill that, as Lineker says, you're unlikely to see anyone repeat.

Lineker really was in awe of Maradona and seems to accept the hand of god goal a heck of a lot better than most of his compatriots. Shilton, on the on the hand has never let it go. He stands/stood at least 6 inches taller than Maradona and was employed professionally to jump in the air to catch or punch balls coming into the box and, no doubt, knows he really should have taken ball and man at that point.

Usual stuff from Peter Shilton :lol: 

11 hours ago, Alan_R said:

"Probably not amongst the greatest ever" and 'not as good as gazza' were amongst the comments. Really are full of their own self importance.

Speaking of Gazza, here's him telling that sour-faced wank that goal "made him", on national TV

11 hours ago, bigsuperslim1874 said:

He didn’t say that surely? I really hope he did!! 🤣

More or less.

"They love me in Scotland," roared Maradona on Sky Sport Italia.

"I am going to a country where they adore me because the Scottish celebrated the goals I scored against the English in 1986".

When he came to Hampden as Argentina manager Terry Butcher was Burley's assistant, and was still bitter enough after 22 years to refuse to shake the great man's hand.

The hand of God goal is the gift that keeps on giving.

bigsuperslim1874
3 hours ago, fancy a brew said:

More or less.

"They love me in Scotland," roared Maradona on Sky Sport Italia.

"I am going to a country where they adore me because the Scottish celebrated the goals I scored against the English in 1986".

When he came to Hampden as Argentina manager Terry Butcher was Burley's assistant, and was still bitter enough after 22 years to refuse to shake the great man's hand.

The hand of God goal is the gift that keeps on giving.

Awesome. Cheers. 👍

Sadly never got to see him play in a live game. I would recommend the documentary on Netflix, not the movie there is a two season docseries that follows his time as manager of a Mexican team, los dorados. 

Will be a bit sad watching now that he's passed but it really showed the real humble side to Maradona, I think he went there for a bit of cash but ended up falling in love with the job. 

11 hours ago, ri Alban said:

One of the lucky few to see him in the flesh. I was hoping to join you when they came to hampden pre Italian 90. But hey, I got to witness Craig Levein giving out a lesson to a certain Claudio Canniggia.

Same here, I was at the game prior to 1990 World Cup. Disappointed that El Diego didn't play. Stuart McKimmie did, though. 

And Levein was superb.

I was fortunate enough to see him play twice at the WC Finals in Foxboro, home of the Patriots, back in '94

He had fought really hard to get back in shape to lead Argentina in that campaign.

He scored his last ever goal for his country in a 4-0 drubbing of Greece in the opener.

His second game a 2-1 come from behind victory over Nigeria, proved to be his final ever for Argentina as he failed a drug test.

Caniggia scored both goals that day, it's a funny old game seeing as the next time I ever saw Caniggia play was for Dundee in a losing effort against Hibs at Easter Rd.

The greatest headline was in the local Greek language newspaper after Greece's defeat in the opener:

Never mind Argentina!, this lot couldn't beat Ike and Tina.

No longer active

Nicola Sturgeon pays tribute to Maradona by posting a picture of them meeting shortly after the '86 World Cup!

LOL

RIP Diego

31BDE79A-550B-4C7B-8309-CCBA8BD58996.jpeg

7 minutes ago, George Cowie said:

Nicola Sturgeon pays tribute to Maradona by posting a picture of them meeting shortly after the '86 World Cup!

LOL

RIP Diego

31BDE79A-550B-4C7B-8309-CCBA8BD58996.jpeg

Nicola liked how Diego could swing in a ball.

I very strongly remember as a kid seeing Shelton on Blue Peter having to read out completion answers and names and struggling with it. Primary school me thought he was thick as shit. 54 year old me still agrees.  

brunoatemyhamster
1 minute ago, brunoatemyhamster said:

Don't know if been posted already but... 

EnwJ_LoW8AIM3If.jpeg

Once told The Pope that if he wanted to help end poverty, then he should sell some of his stuff. 

Top top player. Enjoyed his time off a little too much, but won't hold that against him.