Scam

GinRummy

J.T.F.Robertson
4 hours ago, Marvin said:

Amazon keeps phoning to advise my Prime account is going to renew at 79.99 and to press 1 if... they still haven't done it, next time I will complain. 

Probably being thick but if you did press the 1, how would they benefit?

• Replies 391
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Jambo-Jimbo

• The Real Maroonblood

• Marvin

• Harry Potter

indianajones
14 minutes ago, J.T.F.Robertson said:

It will redirect you to someone in India probably. 

Either that or ask you to punch in your bank details. 

J.T.F.Robertson
10 minutes ago, J.T.F.Robertson said:

I wouldn't either, btw. :)

I had a similar call last week "from Visa". In fact, they had gone to all the trouble of making a recording specifically for l'l ole me wherein they were good enough to give me an individualised account, complete with suppliers and amounts which they were suspicious of.

They too, wanted me to press a number, only I was given three options.

J.T.F.Robertson
6 minutes ago, indianajones said:

Aye I figured that but thought that simply pressing the number would somehow give them access to your bank info.

As I said, "thick".

54 minutes ago, indianajones said:

That's how it usually works. I get the same from BT about dodgy activity on my account. Just hang up. I only have the landline because it's part of BT package. I would disconnect the jack plug but my auld man contacts me on it.

1 hour ago, J.T.F.Robertson said:

It would probably transfer you to a premium number, with a large connection fee and £x per minute call charges.

Stuart McNeill

It's probably been mentioned already but If anyone wants to see these scammers be humiliated and pissed off. 

Search kitboga on YouTube and watch his videos. Definitely entertaining while being eye opening to the situation

Not sure if by pressing a number you will be transferred to a premium number. On a lot of occasions by answering the call, it will let the machine that has dialed your number know that this 'phone line is active. Soon after you will receive a call from a 'real' person or an animated call. Just don't answer it.

Captain Slog

Ive just received a text from 07584 71 781, with the message.   Your package has unpaid shipping fees please visit https;//hermes-feeparcel/com// to pay now.

I'm sure its a scam, but Mrs Captain Slog moves over from America next month so there could be any number of deliveries it refers to.  Any advice?

Jambo-Jimbo
14 minutes ago, Captain Slog said:

Ive just received a text from 07584 71 781, with the message.   Your package has unpaid shipping fees please visit https;//hermes-feeparcel/com// to pay now.

I'm sure its a scam, but Mrs Captain Slog moves over from America next month so there could be any number of deliveries it refers to.  Any advice?

I'd have thought if it was genuine they'd have giving you the consignment/shipment number so that you could check the parcels journey online.

17 minutes ago, Captain Slog said:

ive had a few from "hermes" claiming that, it looks like the scam ones that are going about.

as jimbo says it would include a shipping/consignment number if it was real

13 minutes ago, Captain Slog said:

Hermes aren't the easiest of sites to report a scam to are they?   They don't want to know

Exactly. I've had 3 parcels from Beer 52 go missing over the last 3 months. Their website is terrible

a new payee has been created on my santandar account according to the text i have just received. the one problem with that, i dont have a santandar account

Got my first one in ages, advised me my Card had been used twice that morning, for $400, and $200 purchases, if I wanted to discuss press either #1 or #2 0n my phone. Unfortunately for them purchases were not made on my card as I don't have one.

Edited by Sharpie

Had a call earlier from someone supposedly from Carphone Warehouse telling me they had some great deals. When I told him I wasn't interested as I only got a new phone about 6 months ago and was under contract for another 18 months, he said they would pay off the contract for me. I could get a new phone and only have to pay £30 up front. It sounded ridiculously too good to be true, they'd be paying around £1000 to pay off the contract. A scam, surely?

A Boy Named Crow
14 hours ago, Lemongrab said:

Had a call earlier from someone supposedly from Carphone Warehouse telling me they had some great deals. When I told him I wasn't interested as I only got a new phone about 6 months ago and was under contract for another 18 months, he said they would pay off the contract for me. I could get a new phone and only have to pay £30 up front. It sounded ridiculously too good to be true, they'd be paying around £1000 to pay off the contract. A scam, surely?

Sounds like a scam. Maybe next time challenge them on their business model...

SectionDJambo
On 26/05/2021 at 13:53, Captain Slog said:

Hermes aren't the easiest of sites to report a scam to are they?   They don't want to know

Hermes are a shambles. Next to impossible to contact or get information from. Expected delivery times constantly changed without much notice.

Looks like an organisation run on the cheap by overloading delivery people using their own private vehicles, with or without the insurance to keep it legal.

Jambo-Jimbo
1 hour ago, SectionDJambo said:

Hermes are a shambles. Next to impossible to contact or get information from. Expected delivery times constantly changed without much notice.

Looks like an organisation run on the cheap by overloading delivery people using their own private vehicles, with or without the insurance to keep it legal.

As far as I know the delivery couriers are self-employed and if anything like our local chap delivers for multiple different companies including hermes, amazon, M&S, Debenhams, Boohoo, etc etc etc.

Pepe le pew

Told one of them I worked in a pet shop.every ten seconds or so made the sound of an animal asked him to repeat as I couldn’t hear after good couple of minutes think he sussed me out , may have been the sound of the elephant

23 hours ago, Lemongrab said:

Tell them from the start that you work for Carphone Warehouse and they just hang up. 

• 2 weeks later...
Captain Slog

Just had two attempted calls from a strange number with no zero -467955558.

Looked it up on a site called who-called.co.uk.   Unsurprisingly, someone had checked who the number was seconds previously.

It had an interesting little map showing you the location of who had checked caller - other person was in Annesley in England so it has to be a scam.

Although, the site thought Id phoned from Whitburn, which is close enough i suppose, but i haven't been there since Broxburn Athletic played them in the Scottish Cup in the eighties and polis ran us out of town, because we thought it was acceptable to to give the little bigots a smacking, and they didn't.

I recently received some paperwork in the post, it's a deferred member newsletter from Lothian Pension Fund, they seem to be based in Edinburgh, no idea what the hell it's about.

1 hour ago, Pap said:

Getting scam letters in the post now. Trying to upload pic.

Forward it to me with your bank details, first pets name, mother’s maiden name and I’ll post it for you. 

Captain Slog
5 hours ago, moshy said:

I recently received some paperwork in the post, it's a deferred member newsletter from Lothian Pension Fund, they seem to be based in Edinburgh, no idea what the hell it's about.

About us – Lothian Pension Fund (lpf.org.uk)

They took over the local government investments.  The links on their site seem reputable

If you do have old pensions you've misplaced, but don't trust their site - start here.  Find pension contact details - GOV.UK (www.gov.uk)

31 minutes ago, Captain Slog said:

About us – Lothian Pension Fund (lpf.org.uk)

They took over the local government investments.  The links on their site seem reputable

If you do have old pensions you've misplaced, but don't trust their site - start here.  Find pension contact details - GOV.UK (www.gov.uk)

Hi Thanks I had a look on the gov link but still none the wiser, I've never had an employment pension just a personal pension plan. it did come up with info when I typed in a previous company I worked for though. I just thought the letter was a scam of some sort.

Captain Slog
16 minutes ago, moshy said:

Hi Thanks I had a look on the gov link but still none the wiser, I've never had an employment pension just a personal pension plan. it did come up with info when I typed in a previous company I worked for though. I just thought the letter was a scam of some sort.

If you worked for the company after 2014 for more than 3 months, and were over 22, they just banged you in their scheme - it took a lot of paperwork to opt out

On 19/06/2021 at 13:42, moshy said:

I work for the council and Lothian pension fund is who my pension is through. They signed me up automatically, I never asked for the pension, but I did have a period where I could withdraw and get all contributions back. Maybe you got signed up and didn’t know? 

Unknown user
4 minutes ago, Helzibob said:

Going to try and sell something on gumtree. Take it cash on arrival or PayPal is best? 

I wouldn't sell something that needs posted on gumtree, local collection only, and cash

Just now, Helzibob said:

I work for the council and Lothian pension fund is who my pension is through. They signed me up automatically, I never asked for the pension, but I did have a period where I could withdraw and get all contributions back. Maybe you got signed up and didn’t know? 

Employer pension schemes are compulsory now unless the employee chooses to opt out in the window of time after it’s started. Fine if you’re young and will end up with a decent pension not so great if you’re a bit older. My work pension will give me the massive amount of £70 a month when I retire in a few years which will be worth bugger all by then. I’d imagine a lot of people will opt for the lump sum on retirement. 

1 minute ago, Smithee said:

I wouldn't sell something that needs posted on gumtree, local collection only, and cash

Thanks. It’s a large item so collection only.

Just put it up today and already got this message, knew it was dodgy so said collection only. 

“I want to buy but am in Castle Cary so can't pick it up in person. I want to buy through Gumtree delivery. You will immediately receive money from Gumtree on your bank card and then the courier will call you to collect the goods at a convenient time. I will pay for the delivery.”

1 minute ago, Tazio said:

Employer pension schemes are compulsory now unless the employee chooses to opt out in the window of time after it’s started. Fine if you’re young and will end up with a decent pension not so great if you’re a bit older. My work pension will give me the massive amount of £70 a month when I retire in a few years which will be worth bugger all by then. I’d imagine a lot of people will opt for the lump sum on retirement. 

I was in my 30’s when I took it out. Will likely work into my 60’s so hopefully it’ll be half decent. Will also likely downsize and get some capital by that point too. I’ve actually never looked into what I will get, probably too depressing. 

3 minutes ago, Helzibob said:

Thanks. It’s a large item so collection only.

Just put it up today and already got this message, knew it was dodgy so said collection only. 

“I want to buy but am in Castle Cary so can't pick it up in person. I want to buy through Gumtree delivery. You will immediately receive money from Gumtree on your bank card and then the courier will call you to collect the goods at a convenient time. I will pay for the delivery.”

If you sell anything half decent you tend to get loads of very similarly worded messages like this from outside your area. I’ve sold a few things and will only deal with people paying on collection with hard cash. Ditto it’s the only way I’d buy something off it as well. 

1 minute ago, Tazio said:

If you sell anything half decent you tend to get loads of very similarly worded messages like this from outside your area. I’ve sold a few things and will only deal with people paying on collection with hard cash. Ditto it’s the only way I’d buy something off it as well. 

Thanks. Never done any selling on gumtree before. Only ever bought stuff and as you say cash on collection. 

Unknown user
17 minutes ago, Helzibob said:

Thanks. Never done any selling on gumtree before. Only ever bought stuff and as you say cash on collection. 

I've bought and sold loads on gumtree and Facebook marketplace (which I prefer), I once did a back transfer for a car but always cash apart from that

• 4 months later...

Not sure if this has already been posted but I just received a message on Facebook Marketplace from some joker wanting to buy something from me, however they wanted to send a courier with the cash via Chronopost then a courier would come and collect the item once I had the money in my hand. I just laughed at them and told them to go and waste somebody else's time.

3 hours ago, moshy said:

Not sure if this has already been posted but I just received a message on Facebook Marketplace from some joker wanting to buy something from me, however they wanted to send a courier with the cash via Chronopost then a courier would come and collect the item once I had the money in my hand. I just laughed at them and told them to go and waste somebody else's time.

Struggling here. You get the cash in your hand and then a courier comes and collects the item. Whats the potential scam here?

31 minutes ago, Pap said:

Struggling here. You get the cash in your hand and then a courier comes and collects the item. Whats the potential scam here?

The potential buyer will probably send you a link to pay for insuring the item being sent at your cost then you won't hear from them again.

Edited by moshy

3 hours ago, moshy said:

The potential buyer will probably send you a link to pay for insuring the item being sent at your cost then you won't hear from them again.

That's how they usually work. The link takes you to a fake website. You pay a handling fee. Then after disclosing your details they rob you blind.

4 hours ago, moshy said:

Oh, ok. I thought a courier driver would physically just drop off cash. But i guess, then he wouldnt he take item there and then.