Scam

GinRummy

17 minutes ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

Just shows anybody can fall victim to these scum.

A retired Police officer from Carlisle fell victim to the Royal Mail parcel scam and lost £3k.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-cumbria-56660334

They’ve probably done quite well out of shops being closed and more folk ordering online, particularly the older generation. 

• Replies 391
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Jambo-Jimbo

• The Real Maroonblood

• Marvin

• Harry Potter

Two today!

First....a fake Hermes Delivery text to say I missed a delivery and to rearrange on the link below.

One hour later Amazon automated call phoned me to say I've just spent over £1100 on a new iPhone.

(Are they in cahoots? Was the delivery my new iPhone......hmmm)

I’ve had about a dozen text messages from Tesco tonight with my Tesco authentication code in them. Checked my Tesco account and no suspicious behaviour on it. Seems to be a scam. Change the password anyway just in case. 

2 hours ago, Tazio said:

I’ve had about a dozen text messages from Tesco tonight with my Tesco authentication code in them. Checked my Tesco account and no suspicious behaviour on it. Seems to be a scam. Change the password anyway just in case. 

maybe someone has mistyped their mobile number for the authentication and got yours

All roads lead to Gorgie

Warning! Just had a call from so called Bank of Scotland/ TSB fraud department. The **** said someone down south had purchased an item from PC World. Just laughed and cut the **** off. 

Pond Life!!!!

On 06/04/2021 at 18:50, gjcc said:

Mr Agent James Smith is on his way to your home now. 

I will let him know I have actually paid a 50% advance on next years tax bill when I submitted my self assesment in January.

highlandjambo3
1 hour ago, All roads lead to Gorgie said:

Warning! Just had a call from so called Bank of Scotland/ TSB fraud department. The **** said someone down south had purchased an item from PC World. Just laughed and cut the **** off. 

Pond Life!!!!

Not trying to spoil your day here but:

I had a similar text message about a month ago from the TSB fraud team......someone had attempted to purchase a Samsung electrical item from someplace down south using my card details.  If I had not made the purchase I was to text back no....which I did.  

Immediately I received a call which was automated which I completely ignored........I’m not falling for that shit right.

I then decided to call the TSB number on the back of my card and, after the usual security checks I explained what had happened with the text and automated call back so, I was put through to the TSB fraud team and sure enough, it was all genuine, they had refused the purchase as it was an out of character purchase in a place hundreds of miles from where I stay......they immediately cancelled my card and posted me a new card with new pin a few days later.

I do believe that as scams are becoming more elaborate, banks are obliged to do more to protect their customers.

I am (or thought I was) very diligent with card security but, I have no idea how someone had my 16 digit card code with the other details on it but........they did.

All roads lead to Gorgie
2 hours ago, highlandjambo3 said:

I had a similar text message about a month ago from the TSB fraud team......someone had attempted to purchase a Samsung electrical item from someplace down south using my card details.  If I had not made the purchase I was to text back no....which I did.  

Immediately I received a call which was automated which I completely ignored........I’m not falling for that shit right.

I then decided to call the TSB number on the back of my card and, after the usual security checks I explained what had happened with the text and automated call back so, I was put through to the TSB fraud team and sure enough, it was all genuine, they had refused the purchase as it was an out of character purchase in a place hundreds of miles from where I stay......they immediately cancelled my card and posted me a new card with new pin a few days later.

I do believe that as scams are becoming more elaborate, banks are obliged to do more to protect their customers.

I am (or thought I was) very diligent with card security but, I have no idea how someone had my 16 digit card code with the other details on it but........they did.

That shows you that some calls are genuine and it is just as well you called your bank. In my case I don't even bank with the company he said he was from. When I asked questions he got all sheepish. Scottish accent so watch out.

2 hours ago, highlandjambo3 said:

My wife got a call like that one Sunday morning. She’d got up early and went to B&Q to buy some decorating stuff and just after she got home she got a phone call from the bank asking her what her last transaction had been. When she said B&Q the guy on the phone then confirmed by naming the branch and address. Turned out a few minutes after she’d used it the same card was used to pay for a hotel bill in Shanghai and the banks software had flagged it as suspicious. 

Captain Slog

Got a call this morning, guy with an Indian sub continent accent, saying they had been passed my details by a government agency, and would I like to consolidate my debt, to zero interest, and possibly write off 65%.  Its a new number, and linked to a new email (six months), so goodness knows how they get contact details.

highlandjambo3
1 hour ago, Tazio said:

My wife got a call like that one Sunday morning. She’d got up early and went to B&Q to buy some decorating stuff and just after she got home she got a phone call from the bank asking her what her last transaction had been. When she said B&Q the guy on the phone then confirmed by naming the branch and address. Turned out a few minutes after she’d used it the same card was used to pay for a hotel bill in Shanghai and the banks software had flagged it as suspicious. 

The good news is thankfully the banks seem to be doing more to protect us.

It would be good if there was a feature on online banking that would automatically decline any foreign transactions.

Could just switch it on and off when you go on holiday.

Would be a good start. 

Sawdust Caesar
4 hours ago, highlandjambo3 said:

I've had the same, got to work one morning to be told the Clydesdale Bank fraud team had called and wanted me to call them back. The number wasn't what was on the back of my card so I thought it was a scam but I decided to call my bank. Found it was genuine, someone had been trying to use my card in India. The bank guy asked if I had been there that morning, obviously I said no. THey said they had blocked the transaction so nowt came out my account and the card was now cancelled. The bank said my card must have been cloned when I had used an ATM. Now I make sure my wallet covers my hand when using them.

• 2 weeks later...
On 08/04/2021 at 19:08, Pap said:

It would be good if there was a feature on online banking that would automatically decline any foreign transactions.

Could just switch it on and off when you go on holiday.

Would be a good start. 

If you use a mobile service like Revolut, you can do all kinds of things like this.  It let's you disable things like ATM withdrawals, magnetic swipe transactions, Internet purchases, and mine is set up so that if my phone isn't present (or at least within a given range) the transaction declines. 

My favourite feature is the "Virtual Card" one, where you can make a card for one off use, linked to your account. You make your purchase with that card, and then it expires so it can't be used again.  It's still your account, but it's a lot safer for online transactions. 

These sort of features are out there, but I think the more established banks seem to be behind the curve in terms of the age of the Internet. 

A bit less full on than the post above my RBS app on my phone is set up that it gives me an onscreen notification anytime I spend anything on my cards. Including standing orders and direct debits. So if anything suspicious happened I’d know right away. 

The Real Maroonblood
6 hours ago, Tazio said:

A bit less full on than the post above my RBS app on my phone is set up that it gives me an onscreen notification anytime I spend anything on my cards. Including standing orders and direct debits. So if anything suspicious happened I’d know right away. 

Sometimes it will send you a code by text.

3fingersreid
26 minutes ago, Lord BJ said:

On the BBC they had a piece about ‘scammers’ taking advantage of dogs going missing. Basically owner sticks posters/social media posts about lost dog, someone then phones up and basically say we’ve got your dog and give us grand to it back. 

They never have the dog and just playing on peoples desperation. Had a woman this morning who was taken advantage big style. 

There was one like that where some ******* claimed to have a guys dog ,he wanted £1000 or the dog would be killed , he had an hour to decide.  

Talk about Sophie’s choice , the dog owner didn’t pay , his dog was found a short time later thankfully . The police reckoned the fraudster got the info he needed off lost posters and social media .

Not had any in a while. Last one was Amazon Prime confirming my membership and £X will be deducted from my account. Before that had that one about the dodgy activity on my internet and my broadband will be terminated. The one about the accident I had no longer phones me 🙁 Mind you I like to keep them on the phone as long as possible describing the RTA I had back in 1996, apparently I can't claim for that 😂 Or I ask if my claim will be effected if it was discovered I was under the influence of drink and drugs at the time? They put the phone down faster than it takes to hit the autodial button.

Mrs Inspector received two calls purporting to be from HMRC saying that there was suspicious activity using her NI number and to contact them asap. Failure to do so will result in a fine.  Blocked.

highlandjambo3

Has anyone had the BT automated call on their phone yet?  Sounds like an old English bloke slow slurred voice.....call starts with “hello, this is a call from BT, we’ve been trying to get in touch with you”............ at that point I hang up.....the gist of the call is something about them stopping my internet.

Thick as fek..... see the thing is BT are saying “we’ve been trying to get in touch with you” suggests they cannot get in touch with me so, they decide to get in touch with me to tell me they cannot get in touch with me....eh?? 

• 3 weeks later...

I got DM on twitter. A woman has found me appealing (feck knows why). Within an hour she has declared her love for me :unsure: It's exactly the same tactic as 18 months ago. Every time I try to initiate dirty chat, she disappears. The 3 pics I have don't seem right. 1 looks like its been taken from a pet shop advert. One looks like a poor Photoshop effort. The other could be anything. I am trying to locate the origin of the pics, what's the best tool to do that? Oh yeah like last time, she comes from Ghana but has been in Lebanon and escaped the virus to live with her mum. I'm just waiting on a request to send money. My mate reckons I should do that to her. In her pic she does look alright, yet she lives off rice and beans. Aye right. I intend to play along right up to when the expected request for money. When it does happen then I will delete my accounts online with view to reactivate after a couple of weeks.

1 minute ago, Marvin said:

I got DM on twitter. A woman has found me appealing (feck knows why). Within an hour she has declared her love for me :unsure: It's exactly the same tactic as 18 months ago. Every time I try to initiate dirty chat, she disappears. The 3 pics I have don't seem right. 1 looks like its been taken from a pet shop advert. One looks like a poor Photoshop effort. The other could be anything. I am trying to locate the origin of the pics, what's the best tool to do that? Oh yeah like last time, she comes from Ghana but has been in Lebanon and escaped the virus to live with her mum. I'm just waiting on a request to send money. My mate reckons I should do that to her. In her pic she does look alright, yet she lives off rice and beans. Aye right. I intend to play along right up to when the expected request for money. When it does happen then I will delete my accounts online with view to reactivate after a couple of weeks.

https://tineye.com/

seems to work well for reverse image search

56 minutes ago, jonesy said:

Is your Ghanaian admirer the one on the left or the right?

For I know probably the right 😂

On 16/05/2021 at 10:55, Marvin said:

A few years ago I played along with a Nigerian prince who needed me, yes me, to help him get $20 million out of his country. I set up a fake hotmail account and spun him a story that I was just a young lad and didn't have a bank account but would try to give him my dad's details as soon as I could. He lapped all that up and I played along for about a week I think but then I got fed up with it all so pretended I was the dad and told him to **** off. Didn't hear from him again. It wasn't as exciting as I thought it would be. 

Tommy Brown
On 06/04/2021 at 08:47, Harry Potter said:

Ive got a refs whistle, ha ha.

What are you doing with a ref's whistle, Harry?

Hope your blowing Brian McGinlays whistle.

:oohmatron:

Der Kaiser
On 16/05/2021 at 10:55, Marvin said:

If Bumble and Tinder are to be believed then loads of utterly stunning Chinese and Korean women are really into me.

I'm not sure how dating 6000 miles apart works but I'm guessing it involves me financing their transport to Scotland for our first date.

5 hours ago, Der Kaiser said:

If Bumble and Tinder are to be believed then loads of utterly stunning Chinese and Korean women are really into me.

I'm not sure how dating 6000 miles apart works but I'm guessing it involves me financing their transport to Scotland for our first date.

I think they're bored with me, had no messages for 2 days now as opposed to dozens per day. My mate reckons that you should get in first, with a request for £300, so that you can fly out to her with the promise of repayment on arrival. 

My scammer is back. After conversing she stated how she likes football. I asked, which team. She told me the London team 🤣 so I asked if she meant Melchester Rovers. Which she told me yes. So I told "her" I supported Greenock County (shite, I know, but it was the first thing that came to mind)🤣 I'm going to keep the pretence up. Whoever it is, they're falling for every red herring I throw at them. 

Try popping the pictures into an EXIF data finder tool (the originals, not the ones uploaded here):

https://www.exifdata.com/

http://metapicz.com/#landing

http://exif.regex.info/exif.cgi

Some are better than others, and can often tell you the location an image was taken (particularly if a smartphone with GPS tagging was used).

On 19/05/2021 at 10:26, Marvin said:

My scammer is back. After conversing she stated how she likes football. I asked, which team. She told me the London team 🤣 so I asked if she meant Melchester Rovers. Which she told me yes. So I told "her" I supported Greenock County (shite, I know, but it was the first thing that came to mind)🤣 I'm going to keep the pretence up. Whoever it is, they're falling for every red herring I throw at them. 

Glory hunter.

16 minutes ago, redjambo said:

Glory hunter.

:shame:   I've cut them off. I got the invitable and was asked if I could send money because they are starving and cold. Even though she looks quite healthy in the pics that I got sent. 

6 minutes ago, Marvin said:

:shame:   I've cut them off. I got the invitable and was asked if I could send money because they are starving and cold. Even though she looks quite healthy in the pics that I got sent. 

Fun while it lasted though, I imagine. There is a special place in karma hell for scam artists. And the good thing is that the next time he/she contacts someone in Scotland they will now probably mention that they support Greenock County.

1 minute ago, redjambo said:

Fun while it lasted though, I imagine. There is a special place in karma hell for scam artists. And the good thing is that the next time he/she contacts someone in Scotland they will now probably mention that they support Greenock County.

That would be funny 👍

What gets me about these so called 'romance scams' is the man or woman declaring their love for you after just 2 days of exchanging messages. Feck off. At least the last one waited a week. Another warning sign is the fact they're 20 years younger than you. They are always stunning and normally out your league. There is always a sob story about their life too. 

It does seem my age group is a target for those scams too.

All roads lead to Gorgie

I'm posting this quickly as my internet provider is going to disconnect me in 24 hours time unless I press a number. 

The only thing I want to press is a button for an ejector seat under the ****s behind yet another scam!!!

The Real Maroonblood
Just now, All roads lead to Gorgie said:

I'm posting this quickly as my internet provider is going to disconnect me in 24 hours time unless I press a number. 

The only thing I want to press is a button for an ejector seat under the ****s behind yet another scam!!!

They’re scumbags.

All roads lead to Gorgie
1 minute ago, The Real Maroonblood said:

They’re scumbags.

Even scumbags are better than these ****s 👍

Well my scammer has left me a shed load of abuse. All because I wasn't prepared to send money. :rolleyes: And I thought she loved me :cry_smile:   

2 hours ago, All roads lead to Gorgie said:

Amazon keeps phoning to advise my Prime account is going to renew at 79.99 and to press 1 if... they still haven't done it, next time I will complain. 

I keep getting emails about a Netflix account I don't have. They're in Turkish for some reason. 😕

Harry Potter
1 hour ago, Marvin said:

Well my scammer has left me a shed load of abuse. All because I wasn't prepared to send money. :rolleyes: And I thought she loved me :cry_smile:   

only loves yer money marvin, ditch her, probably a poor cook.😕