Scam

GinRummy

The Real Maroonblood
19 minutes ago, moshy said:

Been getting texts about HBSC trying to set up a new payee or some rubbish.

Just had the dreaded phone call from the automated female version of Stephen Hawking about the warrant out for my arrest for tax evasion unless I press 1.

Manchester number 0161 879 4624

The scum never give up.

• Replies 391
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Jambo-Jimbo

• The Real Maroonblood

• Marvin

• Harry Potter

I've reported that Amazon Prime scam that often I'm now tempted to press 1 just to spend time sending the caller in circles before they try to rip off some other unsuspecting victim. 

Edited by Marvin

Got the Royal Mail failed delivery scam email yesterday, wanted £2.99 for my item to be delivered as it was stopped at customs and had incured a charge. 

Got the early morning call this morning, claiming my card, one I don't have was used for purchases this morning.  Recorded voice so no point hurling abuse, just hung up. 

N Lincs Jambo
On 09/01/2021 at 14:48, Tazio said:

I got woken up this morning by the phone and got terrible news. A criminal prosecution is being raised against me for tax crime and a warrant out for my arrest.  However luckily if I pressed 1 I could halt the charges. 

Clicked on this thread having had the call yesterday. Press 1 to talk to an agent. Hung up and went on the HMRC website. Unsurprisingly there is a bit about this particular scam. A few months ago my business partner got the same call. He pressed 1. He was told he was about to be arrested unless he paid £X immediately and there was a black car with CID across the road. Funnily enough no car so he told them where to go. Got told back he was a “stupid ****ing *****” to which he replied yeah you’re obviously HMRC now do one!

24 minutes ago, N Lincs Jambo said:

Clicked on this thread having had the call yesterday. Press 1 to talk to an agent. Hung up and went on the HMRC website. Unsurprisingly there is a bit about this particular scam. A few months ago my business partner got the same call. He pressed 1. He was told he was about to be arrested unless he paid £X immediately and there was a black car with CID across the road. Funnily enough no car so he told them where to go. Got told back he was a “stupid ****ing *****” to which he replied yeah you’re obviously HMRC now do one!

A few months ago I back chatted the caller, and felt pretty good about myself, until I got the phone calls waking me up during the night, and no one there when I answered. I figured I had to give them the win on that one now I just hang up.

N Lincs Jambo
1 hour ago, Sharpie said:

A few months ago I back chatted the caller, and felt pretty good about myself, until I got the phone calls waking me up during the night, and no one there when I answered. I figured I had to give them the win on that one now I just hang up.

It’s shit Bob. The tone and menace in the recorded message will undoubtedly scare some people, especially the vulnerable, into coughing up. As far as the phone is concerned though we no longer have a device connected to the landline and my mobile is permanently on silent. If I miss a call and know the number I’ll call back.

35 minutes ago, N Lincs Jambo said:

It’s shit Bob. The tone and menace in the recorded message will undoubtedly scare some people, especially the vulnerable, into coughing up. As far as the phone is concerned though we no longer have a device connected to the landline and my mobile is permanently on silent. If I miss a call and know the number I’ll call back.

Yes, thats the correct attitude needed nowadays.   Any incoming number not in my phone list with a known name gets ignored.

My wife gets several single ring calls each month - one ring then stops.  It's a 0843 number - presumably they want to you to call back, and keep you hanging on a premium rate call for several minutes.  It's usually a different number each time, so she just adds it to the network blocking service. 

highlandjambo3

Scams are indeed becoming a wee bit more elaborate.  I consider myself quite well up on the scam situation and take care not to divulge my details, I don’t have paper statements divulging any info however, I am prone to buying the odd thing or two on amazon.

So, on Monday I received a text from TSB fraud service (I have a TSB business card), the text asked if I had made a purchase online from Samsung electronics for £**** (it was over £1k) “if you made this purchase text back YES, if you did not make this purchase text back NO”.  So, I text back NO and immediately my phone rang and an automated voice came back saying “this is a message for ....my name.... pleas call *********** for an operator”.....AYE RIGHT, this was a number I didn’t recognise so I didn’t call it.  Scammers nil, me one (I thought).  

I then decided to call the number on the back of my TSB card just to let them know what happened and, after a security check, I was put through to the fraud department and indeed someone had tried to use my card to make an electronic purchase which TSB rejected.....clever fkrs.....old card cancelled and new card on its way.

How the scammers managed to get my 3 PIN number on the rear of my card I have no idea.  I had asked TSB why this purchase was declined, they said the purchase was from an unknown IP and location and, the purchase was out of my ordinary buying habits and, it was in line with high value goods scammers usually target......

..thank fek they seem to be switched on.

Ordered An item from Amazon ( cost £120 ) and when it arrived it was the right packaging but contained a worthless hand spinner of similar weight. 

My first thought was someone in the warehouse switched them so I used the app to give an explanation and ask for a replacement. 

Next day the replacement arrives with correct packaging but this time containing a bolt. 

I go on the app but there seems no way to contact a real person via phone or chat so just request a refund as the company selling these is at it imo. I wrote a review saying ‘Don’t buy this item as it is a scam’ which Amazon rejected as it doesn’t fit their ‘guidelines’. 

posted back the spinner and washer yesterday so hoping to get my money refunded next week. Bought the correct item, slightly more expensive, elsewhere. 

31 minutes ago, davemclaren said:

Ordered An item from Amazon ( cost £120 ) and when it arrived it was the right packaging but contained a worthless hand spinner of similar weight. 

My first thought was someone in the warehouse switched them so I used the app to give an explanation and ask for a replacement. 

Next day the replacement arrives with correct packaging but this time containing a bolt. 

I go on the app but there seems no way to contact a real person via phone or chat so just request a refund as the company selling these is at it imo. I wrote a review saying ‘Don’t buy this item as it is a scam’ which Amazon rejected as it doesn’t fit their ‘guidelines’. 

posted back the spinner and washer yesterday so hoping to get my money refunded next week. Bought the correct item, slightly more expensive, elsewhere. 

I've chatted with Amazon customer service a few times through the app now, it is possible and they're very helpful

2 phone calls to my mobile this week which I didn't answer. They left messages.

First one was a woman's voice (embarrassingly obvious it was a recording) who said I should stop calling her and that she has told the police about me. Obviously wanting me to call her back so the scammer could charge me £50/second on the call.

Second was a recorded message saying my National Insurance number has been used "illegally" and I should call this number to sort it out.

JUST **** OFF YA SCAMMING TRAMPS!!!!

9 minutes ago, Smithee said:

I've chatted with Amazon customer service a few times through the app now, it is possible and they're very helpful

I just seemed to get a Bot. 🤷🏼‍♂️

The Real Maroonblood
3 hours ago, highlandjambo3 said:

Scams are indeed becoming a wee bit more elaborate.  I consider myself quite well up on the scam situation and take care not to divulge my details, I don’t have paper statements divulging any info however, I am prone to buying the odd thing or two on amazon.

So, on Monday I received a text from TSB fraud service (I have a TSB business card), the text asked if I had made a purchase online from Samsung electronics for £**** (it was over £1k) “if you made this purchase text back YES, if you did not make this purchase text back NO”.  So, I text back NO and immediately my phone rang and an automated voice came back saying “this is a message for ....my name.... pleas call *********** for an operator”.....AYE RIGHT, this was a number I didn’t recognise so I didn’t call it.  Scammers nil, me one (I thought).  

I then decided to call the number on the back of my TSB card just to let them know what happened and, after a security check, I was put through to the fraud department and indeed someone had tried to use my card to make an electronic purchase which TSB rejected.....clever fkrs.....old card cancelled and new card on its way.

How the scammers managed to get my 3 PIN number on the rear of my card I have no idea.  I had asked TSB why this purchase was declined, they said the purchase was from an unknown IP and location and, the purchase was out of my ordinary buying habits and, it was in line with high value goods scammers usually target......

..thank fek they seem to be switched on.

The banks seemed to have upped their game nowadays.

1 hour ago, Pans Jambo said:

2 phone calls to my mobile this week which I didn't answer. They left messages.

First one was a woman's voice (embarrassingly obvious it was a recording) who said I should stop calling her and that she has told the police about me. Obviously wanting me to call her back so the scammer could charge me £50/second on the call.

Second was a recorded message saying my National Insurance number has been used "illegally" and I should call this number to sort it out.

JUST **** OFF YA SCAMMING TRAMPS!!!!

They just seem to be getting more and more elaborate all the time.

The days of getting emails from some Prince in Nigeria are fast disappearing.

2 hours ago, davemclaren said:

I've spoken to their Customer Services load of times.  If you log on to the actual website, as opposed to the app, there's a link at the bottom of the page. They usually call you back pretty quickly.

1 minute ago, Lemongrab said:

I've spoken to their Customer Services load of times.  If you log on to the actual website, as opposed to the app, there's a link at the bottom of the page. They usually call you back pretty quickly.

Thank.. I will use that if I don’t get my cash back. I’m more miffed ( at the moment ) that they wouldn’t publish my review despite the item still being on sale. 

highlandjambo3
1 hour ago, The Real Maroonblood said:

The banks seemed to have upped their game nowadays.

Yes I think so......if they can’t protect their customers then the customers might look elsewhere.  

The Real Maroonblood
34 minutes ago, highlandjambo3 said:

Yes I think so......if they can’t protect their customers then the customers might look elsewhere.  

This.

Sometimes I’ll get a text if it’s a new company I’m buying from online.

highlandjambo3
9 minutes ago, The Real Maroonblood said:

This.

Sometimes I’ll get a text if it’s a new company I’m buying from online.

Yes....like I said in my previous post above.  I received a text from my TSB fraud squad a couple of days ago, I thought it was a scam but no, it was actually TSB requesting to know if I had attempted an online transaction for £1k+.....thankfully they knocked it back but, the scammer had my full card details, which is a card I thought I was very careful with.

The Real Maroonblood
2 hours ago, highlandjambo3 said:

Yes....like I said in my previous post above.  I received a text from my TSB fraud squad a couple of days ago, I thought it was a scam but no, it was actually TSB requesting to know if I had attempted an online transaction for £1k+.....thankfully they knocked it back but, the scammer had my full card details, which is a card I thought I was very careful with.

👍

• 2 weeks later...

Interesting development that I’ve started getting a decent amount of scam calls to my mobile about national insurance payments. Obviously false but I noticed that they all seem to have the first 8 digits of my mobile number with only the last 3 changed. Obviously a new development in the auto dialling software they use. 

Last scam call came just after my works laptop crashed. I was on call to IT when my landline rang. I dialed 1471 and it was a number starting 004..... that called. Previously it was a 003 number.

Jambo-Jimbo
30 minutes ago, jonesy said:

Hope not. If all the emails I've replied to over the years actually make the transfers they've promised me, I'm sitting on hundreds of millions of dollars. Sure, it's costing me a few grand in the meantime, but I'm playing the long game with those generous Nigerians.

Not sure how to break this to you, but...........................

Jambo-Jimbo
37 minutes ago, jonesy said:

Don't be such a cynic, JJ. I'm flying out to Lagos next month to check on a couple of my investments. 

If you've not booked your tickets yet, gives a shout, I got an email about a wonderful new airline, Oil Rivers Airways, knock down cheep cheep fares, however as they are so new they only have direct bank transfer available right now.  Really seems a great deal.

Jambo-Jimbo
4 minutes ago, jonesy said:

Forward me a link. Or better yet, I'll send you my card details like I did the Princes and you can book all the travel for me :) 

I'll cut you in on some of the inheritance. 

All you need to do is...

It's ok I don't need it, you see I took advantage of a wonderful investment in Ghana, made a fortune I did..................well I will do when the money is converted from Cedi to Swiss Francs then to Pounds, got superb conversion rates as well, actually made money out of the conversion, but keep that to yourself.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Captain Slog

Not quite a scam but connected.

I woke up this morning to several hundred emails, asking me to verify access to Discord (that's a gaming chat site) from a new location.  The emails were coming in at three or four a minute, all from different IP addresses such as Thailand, Chile, Argentina, India etc. 

Quick change of password seems to have remedied it, and thank goodness for dual layer security.  But its not so much them getting access to Discord i worried about, but from there they could have followed on to different linked sites such as Steam, and ultimately to my bank details.

So just a heads up to ensure you have a strong password.  Hell for the first time in my life I'm considering using office protocols and changing all my passwords regularly, even though i have a hard enough time remembering a couple of passwords and a bank pin numbers at the moment.

The Real Maroonblood
36 minutes ago, Captain Slog said:

Not quite a scam but connected.

I woke up this morning to several hundred emails, asking me to verify access to Discord (that's a gaming chat site) from a new location.  The emails were coming in at three or four a minute, all from different IP addresses such as Thailand, Chile, Argentina, India etc. 

Quick change of password seems to have remedied it, and thank goodness for dual layer security.  But its not so much them getting access to Discord i worried about, but from there they could have followed on to different linked sites such as Steam, and ultimately to my bank details.

So just a heads up to ensure you have a strong password.  Hell for the first time in my life I'm considering using office protocols and changing all my passwords regularly, even though i have a hard enough time remembering a couple of passwords and a bank pin numbers at the moment.

I've an iPad and sometimes I use their strong passwords. 

However it can be a real pain as my phone is android and so they are not linked.

1 hour ago, The Real Maroonblood said:

I've an iPad and sometimes I use their strong passwords. 

However it can be a real pain as my phone is android and so they are not linked.

I recently checked if my passwords are secure using a website that checks data leaks. I was a bit wary of the website being a scam so did a bit of research and it’s all good. Was surprised to see how many sites I have passworded membership of have been victims of data leaks going back several years. I’ve used the same password with variations on it for years. I’ve never used the suggested strong passwords that Apple offer as they’re so strong I’d never have a chance of remembering them if I needed to use them if I was away from my iPad or home computer. However I read in a security article a good solution is to just use a couple of words that have no relation to each other as well as numbers and a punctuation symbol. It is a sad fact though that the more traffic an email address has the more spam you get. I had a security warning on my main email a couple of years ago and after it went through a period of getting around 100 spam emails a day. 

The Real Maroonblood
5 minutes ago, Tazio said:

I recently checked if my passwords are secure using a website that checks data leaks. I was a bit wary of the website being a scam so did a bit of research and it’s all good. Was surprised to see how many sites I have passworded membership of have been victims of data leaks going back several years. I’ve used the same password with variations on it for years. I’ve never used the suggested strong passwords that Apple offer as they’re so strong I’d never have a chance of remembering them if I needed to use them if I was away from my iPad or home computer. However I read in a security article a good solution is to just use a couple of words that have no relation to each other as well as numbers and a punctuation symbol. It is a sad fact though that the more traffic an email address has the more spam you get. I had a security warning on my main email a couple of years ago and after it went through a period of getting around 100 spam emails a day. 

Good bit of information.

My iPad is forever telling me I have to similar passwords for different sites.

It doesn’t over concern me as long as my online banking is safe.

15 minutes ago, Tazio said:

https://haveibeenpwned.com/

is a good website to check if any of your accounts have been compromised

Harry Potter

Probably not a scam but landline goes this morning, nobody there 😧look who ever you are if you phone

me at least stay on the  phone if i answer it, this really does my head in. 

Doctor FinnBarr
1 hour ago, Harry Potter said:

Probably not a scam but landline goes this morning, nobody there 😧look who ever you are if you phone

me at least stay on the  phone if i answer it, this really does my head in. 

Most likely "James" from Delhi phoning about that accident you had within the last 2 years.

I think the way the system works is they press a button which rings x amount of numbers, first to answer gets "James".

Jambo-Jimbo
38 minutes ago, FinnBarr Saunders said:

Most likely "James" from Delhi phoning about that accident you had within the last 2 years.

I think the way the system works is they press a button which rings x amount of numbers, first to answer gets "James".

Yip, read somewhere that's it's something like 10 numbers dialed at the same time.

Doctor FinnBarr
2 minutes ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

Yip, read somewhere that's it's something like 10 numbers dialed at the same time.

I know these guys are trying to make a living but...........

13 minutes ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

I’ve started getting scam calls that are the same as my mobile number apart from the last 3 digits so their systems are getting more advanced. 

Harry Potter
14 hours ago, FinnBarr Saunders said:

First to answer wins the prize,😦had one last week, kept saying BT im not on BT, my voice getting louder, he says dont talk so loud, i said well dont phone me😕, honestly 

The Real Maroonblood
26 minutes ago, Harry Potter said:

First to answer wins the prize,😦had one last week, kept saying BT im not on BT, my voice getting louder, he says dont talk so loud, i said well dont phone me😕, honestly 

Blast a whistle down the phone and that’ll give the person something to complain about.

Harry Potter
1 minute ago, The Real Maroonblood said:

Blast a whistle down the phone and that’ll give the person something to complain about.

Ive got a refs whistle, ha ha.

Jambo-Jimbo
3 hours ago, Harry Potter said:

The latest ones I've got don't mention any company names, it's simply 'your internet provider' or 'your phone line provider'.

I think they have learnt that most people are not with BT anymore.

6 minutes ago, moshy said:

I now have 3 warrants out for my arrest for tax evasion this week, Don't know how I sleep at night.

Mr Agent James Smith is on his way to your home now. 

doctor jambo

I’ve started giving them dogs abuse down the phone. Worst case scenario, I get to verbally abuse a tax inspector , so it’s win/win really