• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Jambo-Jimbo

• The Real Maroonblood

• Marvin

• Harry Potter

6 hours ago, Lemongrab said:

I know a woman who that happened to, probably about this time last year. It was some kind of fake fur thing and came crammed into a tiny plastic bag, which meant it was crushed to feck and would have been totally unwearable. Being about two sizes too small, that didn't really matter. Here, your Mum doesn't live in Stenhouse by any chance? :D 

Haha, no. 

Had 2 calls on land line about an amazon prime payment, a total joke

of a scam, the scammer needs more training obviously a thick clown.

Was more seethin having to answer the phone.

I just don't understand how people keep falling for these type of things:

* If it isn't addressed to you personally (i.e. using your correct, legal first name) and instead has "dear customer" or "dear [email protected]" then it's probably a scam.

* If it is full of spelling mistakes and bad grammar, then it's probably a scam.

* If it doesn't come from the usual source email address, and instead comes from "@wordpress.btinternet.com" then it's probably (definitely) a scam.

* If it's completely unexpected and arrives via email or text message, it's probably a scam.

* If it is about a service that you do not own, subscribe to, or have never heard of, it's probably a scam.

* If it's an email about internet banking, or from a fraud department, asking you to do something urgent, or otherwise confirm your identity, it's probably (definitely) a scam.

A lot of these things can easily be solved by one of 2 things.  Hover over the links in an email and see where they are going to take you.  If it takes you to some random redirect URL, or something that isn't the official https:// URL of the service it claims to be from, then ignore it.  A worse option is to click the link, but open it in an incognito window.  It it looks suspicious, close it the **** down and ignore.

Second, just straight up ignore it.  If it is a genuine thing, then you will be contacted in other ways than via email or SMS.   I use the process of "if it's not in writing, addressed with my correct information and physically being put through my postbox, then it's probably not legitimate."

The internet is used daily by millions of people who don't really understand how it works, and are all too willing to freely give up information to anyone who pretends to be in a position of authority.  A lot of people lack awareness of the fact that you will be gleefully be taken for a ride by anyone who understands that you are the sort of person who will do that.  They will also panic at something going wrong, and all logic goes out the window.  Royal Mail are not going to phone you up saying that you need urgently need to pay for a parcel they are holding for you.  For one thing, how the **** do they get your phone number from the parcel they supposedly have?  They don't, but what do Royal Mail actually have?  Your name and address, so you will get something in the post instead that will correctly tell you the issue.

The problem is, scammers know this all too well.  They don't want the people who are suspicious, or unlikely to follow through with something.  They want the low hanging fruit, because it requires almost no effort to get what they want out of it.

37 minutes ago, Lemongrab said:

Received this one today.  From an email address ending @bunaylah.com. 🤪

Screenshot-20201215-160850-Outlook.jpg

Excellent example of a scam sounding official, but being utterly full of shite.

EE use Direct Debit for their phone contracts, which are not charged to your card, but instead come directly from the account itself.  The card information is entirely unnecessary, but they use time pressure to try and force your hand.  No doubt they'll get a few bites from people who just click the link not wanting to be charged for late payment.

Was it addressed to "dear customer" or just blank? :vrface: 

12 minutes ago, tian447 said:

Excellent example of a scam sounding official, but being utterly full of shite.

EE use Direct Debit for their phone contracts, which are not charged to your card, but instead come directly from the account itself.  The card information is entirely unnecessary, but they use time pressure to try and force your hand.  No doubt they'll get a few bites from people who just click the link not wanting to be charged for late payment.

Was it addressed to "dear customer" or just blank? :vrface: 

Just as shown, blank. I was with EE, so my first thought was that maybe I'd cancelled my direct debit too soon. Then I saw the email address.  

1 hour ago, Lemongrab said:

Received this one today.  From an email address ending @bunaylah.com. 🤪

Screenshot-20201215-160850-Outlook.jpg

Similar tactic to the email I got from 'EE', I posted it on the previous page.

The Real Maroonblood
3 hours ago, tian447 said:

* If it isn't addressed to you personally (i.e. using your correct, legal first name) and instead has "dear customer" or "dear [email protected]" then it's probably a scam.

* If it is full of spelling mistakes and bad grammar, then it's probably a scam.

* If it doesn't come from the usual source email address, and instead comes from "@wordpress.btinternet.com" then it's probably (definitely) a scam.

* If it's completely unexpected and arrives via email or text message, it's probably a scam.

* If it is about a service that you do not own, subscribe to, or have never heard of, it's probably a scam.

* If it's an email about internet banking, or from a fraud department, asking you to do something urgent, or otherwise confirm your identity, it's probably (definitely) a scam.

A lot of these things can easily be solved by one of 2 things.  Hover over the links in an email and see where they are going to take you.  If it takes you to some random redirect URL, or something that isn't the official https:// URL of the service it claims to be from, then ignore it.  A worse option is to click the link, but open it in an incognito window.  It it looks suspicious, close it the **** down and ignore.

Second, just straight up ignore it.  If it is a genuine thing, then you will be contacted in other ways than via email or SMS.   I use the process of "if it's not in writing, addressed with my correct information and physically being put through my postbox, then it's probably not legitimate."

The internet is used daily by millions of people who don't really understand how it works, and are all too willing to freely give up information to anyone who pretends to be in a position of authority.  A lot of people lack awareness of the fact that you will be gleefully be taken for a ride by anyone who understands that you are the sort of person who will do that.  They will also panic at something going wrong, and all logic goes out the window.  Royal Mail are not going to phone you up saying that you need urgently need to pay for a parcel they are holding for you.  For one thing, how the **** do they get your phone number from the parcel they supposedly have?  They don't, but what do Royal Mail actually have?  Your name and address, so you will get something in the post instead that will correctly tell you the issue.

The problem is, scammers know this all too well.  They don't want the people who are suspicious, or unlikely to follow through with something.  They want the low hanging fruit, because it requires almost no effort to get what they want out of it.

Good advice.

5 hours ago, tian447 said:

The one I laugh at are the ones I get where they take the @address.co.uk bit of the email out think they're being clever by putting whatever comes before the @ after a "Dear".

I, probably like a lot of people, don't have my full name at the start of my home email address, so keep getting scam emails addressed to "Dear PortyJambo" (not my email either, but you get the drift). As if someone official contacting you wouldn't know your actual name. Of course, they might catch some out with that if their name is before the @, but the other basic checks you highlight will no doubt throw up another clear sign that it's a scam.

All roads lead to Gorgie
17 hours ago, Harry Potter said:

I got a recorded message from one of those shits today about an Iphone apparently billed to me on a Tesco account. It was the same Americanized accent as the amazon scammer.

34 minutes ago, All roads lead to Gorgie said:

I got a recorded message from one of those shits today about an Iphone apparently billed to me on a Tesco account. It was the same Americanized accent as the amazon scammer.

These muppets want to get a life, honestly their lifes must be empty, praying on honest folk.

10 years hard labour , never happen, 

The Real Maroonblood
34 minutes ago, Harry Potter said:

These muppets want to get a life, honestly their lifes must be empty, praying on honest folk.

10 years hard labour , never happen, 

Scumbags.

The Government come in for all manner of critisim but they are good guys at heart.

I got a text last night telling me that the UK government are wanting to give me £357.19 as part of their fight against covid............all I have to do is tap on the link to claim the money.

:munny:

Microsoft account

Unusual sign-in activity

We detected something unusual about a recent sign-in to the Microsoft account se*****@v(i've deleted the rest of this)

Sign-in details

Country/region: United States

IP address: 98.207.151.211

Date: 16/12/2020 11:59 (GMT)

Platform: iOS

Browser: Safari

Please go to your recent activity page to let us know whether or not this was you. If this wasn't you, we'll help you to secure your account. If this was you, we'll trust similar activity in the future.

Review recent activity

To opt out or change where you receive security notifications, click here.

Thanks,

The Microsoft account team

Just received this, i take it it's a fake?

The Real Maroonblood
9 hours ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

The Government come in for all manner of critisim but they are good guys at heart.

I got a text last night telling me that the UK government are wanting to give me £357.19 as part of their fight against covid............all I have to do is tap on the link to claim the money.

:munny:

:laugh2:

The wife received her 2nd call within a few weeks from HMRC threatening her with an arrest warrant. 

just logged in to my other email account to find this

Premier Man Order Information
Menswear Nightwear Sportswear Shoes Womens Home & Electricals
Dear Mr W***,
Thank you for placing an order with Premier Man. Your order details can be found below.
Order Summary

AIRPODS & CASE AIRPODS & CASE
Item No: QB618EM
Colour: No Colour
Size: NO SIZE
Stock Status: In stock
Delivery Type: Express

Price:
£139.00

Delivery:   £4.50  
  Total:   £143.50  

Delivery Address

6 TRUMPET LANE
ST GEORGE
BRISTOL
AVON
BS5 8NN

i hadn't ordered this so logged on to my account to find that they had cancelled the order and removed my credit limit.

closed for the night so can't contact them until tomorrow.

this account has no links to the previous email account

On 15/12/2020 at 16:14, Harry Potter said:

I'm now getting a recorded message about my Prime membership auto-renewing and they will be taking my DD in due course. I did 1471 on my phone and the number who called me was: 001802495262. Have reported it to Amazon who tbh have been pretty good.

1 minute ago, Marvin said:

I'm now getting a recorded message about my Prime membership auto-renewing and they will be taking my DD in due course. I did 1471 on my phone and the number who called me was: 001802495262. Have reported it to Amazon who tbh have been pretty good.

i pay prime by D/D every month so i knew this was dodgy, wanted to shout down the phone

but doubt the recorded message would have bothered,😕.

Just now, Harry Potter said:

i pay prime by D/D every month so i knew this was dodgy, wanted to shout down the phone

but doubt the recorded message would have bothered,😕.

They call my landline and its my mobile recorded on Amazon. 

12 hours ago, jambosean75 said:

just logged in to my other email account to find this

Premier Man Order Information
Menswear Nightwear Sportswear Shoes Womens Home & Electricals

Dear Mr W***,
Thank you for placing an order with Premier Man. Your order details can be found below.
Order Summary

AIRPODS & CASE AIRPODS & CASE
Item No: QB618EM
Colour: No Colour
Size: NO SIZE
Stock Status: In stock
Delivery Type: Express

Price:
£139.00

Delivery:   £4.50  
  Total:   £143.50  

Delivery Address

6 TRUMPET LANE
ST GEORGE
BRISTOL
AVON
BS5 8NN

i hadn't ordered this so logged on to my account to find that they had cancelled the order and removed my credit limit.

closed for the night so can't contact them until tomorrow.

this account has no links to the previous email accoun

BS5 8NN

Postcode

https://maps.app.goo.gl/8XM3ifGfQxcu8X9HA

1 minute ago, Harry Potter said:

im the same.

I also get asked to press 1 to speak to an agent. I never do but tbh I am tempted just to give them the run around.

39 minutes ago, Marvin said:

I also get asked to press 1 to speak to an agent. I never do but tbh I am tempted just to give them the run around.

Thats their trap, just cut them off.   

I got the Amazon Prime call about my monthly renewal yesterday.

What doesn't help is that Amazon can be total **** too.

I took out the free Prime Trial a few years back, which of course was linked to my debit card.  I cancelled membership after the month.

6 months later, they took £7.99 off.  Checked account and I was a Prime customer again.  Cancelled, refund received.  Few months later same again.  I'm convinced I didn't order anything using cheaper Prime option.

Of course could have been a glitch with upgrades, data file transfers.....

3 hours ago, DETTY29 said:

I took out the free Prime Trial a few years back, which of course was linked to my debit card.  I cancelled membership after the month.

6 months later, they took £7.99 off.  Checked account and I was a Prime customer again.  Cancelled, refund received.  Few months later same again.  I'm convinced I didn't order anything using cheaper Prime option.

I don't get that. And I'm constantly starting my free trial then cancelling again. I've never paid Amazon any money except for goods bought

6 hours ago, DETTY29 said:

I had them renewing my Prime without my permission and taking the whole year at once instead of monthly after I’d had a free year. Called them up ready for a huge fight and they instantly apologised and gave me another year free. 
I was a bit disappointed as I fancied an argument. 

• 2 weeks later...
8 minutes ago, mrcrisps said:

These are on the go now. Be careful!

Screenshot_20210103-093232_Messages.jpg

I would assume they are after your personal details with this scam, I can see people falling for this.

19 hours ago, Cade said:

Nice to see a fellow Atomic Shrimp aficionado, although given your other posts on topics of great concern it's no surprise, you have excellent taste :thumbsup:

Nucky Thompson

The scam callers are relentless this morning. I've had at least 20 on my landline.

Automated calls from HMRC and Amazon and a few from an Indian call centre claiming to be from Virgin media. 

I can't think of anything new that I've gave out my number

highlandjambo3

Tv “this morning” reporting on a number of people scammed by paying cash for COVID vaccines.....

I mentioned this would happen earlier, not that I have the fortitude of forecasting future planning but it was a nap, so it’s no surprise as these low life will take every opportunity and, I do feel for the victims but, come on (there’s a wee voice in my head saying) are people REALLY stupid enough.......course, I know the answer to that.

5 hours ago, Nucky Thompson said:

The scam callers are relentless this morning. I've had at least 20 on my landline.

Automated calls from HMRC and Amazon and a few from an Indian call centre claiming to be from Virgin media. 

I can't think of anything new that I've gave out my number

Doesn't need to be anything new, it's probably that your number has just been sold to a variety of new scammers.

2 hours ago, highlandjambo3 said:

Tv “this morning” reporting on a number of people scammed by paying cash for COVID vaccines.....

I mentioned this would happen earlier, not that I have the fortitude of forecasting future planning but it was a nap, so it’s no surprise as these low life will take every opportunity and, I do feel for the victims but, come on (there’s a wee voice in my head saying) are people REALLY stupid enough.......course, I know the answer to that.

A horrible little piece of shit, jabbed a wee old women with a needle and took £160 off her. He told her to the nhs would reimburse her. 

I'm fecking ragin just thinking that people could do this to people. 

1 minute ago, ri Alban said:

A horrible little piece of shit, jabbed a wee old women with a needle and took £160 off her. He told her to the nhs would reimburse her. 

I'm fecking ragin just thinking that people could do this to people. 

There are some real scum out there, here's hoping they catch the wee ****.

I got woken up this morning by the phone and got terrible news. A criminal prosecution is being raised against me for tax crime and a warrant out for my arrest.  However luckily if I pressed 1 I could halt the charges. 

highlandjambo3

I’ve had a couple of “ I've been monitoring your Internet history and sights you have accessed.........Including videos you have watched and, I have secretly recorded you on your own camera watching these videos etc...............give me dosh and I’ll say no more”..... followed by some PayPal guff payment scheme.........They do go into some fairly detailed jargon about Trojan horses and planting of bugs and how they have the e mails of all your contacts in your address book etc....real geek gibberish to attempt to scare you.  

Point to note, if this was genuine they would be likely to be able to name you or your location or, even provide the minutest detail of something personal like at least one of your contacts but alas, they can’t..... a generic scam to scare some people who may have visited a site or two (not suggesting anything dodgy btw) who may not wish this to be made public......... tbh I’d imagine they get some success here.........not with me though.

Nucky Thompson
8 minutes ago, Tazio said:

I got woken up this morning by the phone and got terrible news. A criminal prosecution is being raised against me for tax crime and a warrant out for my arrest.  However luckily if I pressed 1 I could halt the charges. 

I got one from HMRC saying that a tax fraud had been done using my name. Same as you, press 1 now

Heard somewhere an OAP was scammed for a fake Vaacine which they paid for... Worst part is that a mysterious substance was actually given to them via syringe.

Some people are utter honking

17 minutes ago, Gone said:

Heard somewhere an OAP was scammed for a fake Vaacine which they paid for... Worst part is that a mysterious substance was actually given to them via syringe.

Some people are utter honking

Yeh it was all over the news yesterday, hope they catch the guy.