Scam

GinRummy

Reading some of the replies got me thinking, is that Amazon Prime scam still doing the rounds? I got contacted by them on my landline (It's my mobile number I have on Amazon) asking for remote access to my laptop so they can stop a direct debit for £150 (or something similar) for an annual subscription. I kept on giving guy dummy info whilst on live chat to Amazon who had told me that my Prime account was closed and there was no direct debit due to them. After going round in circles with the caller, he eventually got sick with me and hung up.

Edited by Marvin

• Replies 391
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Jambo-Jimbo

• The Real Maroonblood

• Marvin

• Harry Potter

2 minutes ago, Marvin said:

Or there is the (obviously) Asian chap called Brian who is calling from BT :rofl:

Is that the one about some 'dodgy activity has been detected on your internet connection and will be shut down in the next 24 hours'.

24 minutes ago, Marvin said:

Reading some of the replies got me thinking, is that Amazon Prime scam still doing the rounds? I got contacted by them on my landline (It's my mobile number I have on Amazon) asking for remote access to my laptop so they can stop a direct debit for £150 (or something similar) for an annual subscription. I kept on giving guy dummy info whilst on live chat to Amazon who had told me that my Prime account was closed and there was no direct debit due to them. After going round in circles with the caller, he eventually got sick with me and hung up.

My laddie had his Amazon Prime account hacked, he knew nothing about it, until Amazon contacted him to ask him if he'd just ordered xyz and it was being delivered to an address in California.

Seemingly what the scammers do is they hack a genuine active account, order hundreds or thousands of £'s or in this case $'s worth of stuff usually using a stolen credit card and get it sent to a drop off address somewhere.

Amazon flagged it up because my laddie lives in Scotland but the order was made via Amazon USA website using a credit card issued in America.

It's quite clever how they do it.

Use an active account, a stolen card, disposable address in an office block, industrial estate sort of thing.

Police have no leads, they hit dead ends all over the place, and the criminals walk away with thousands of pounds worth of stuff, which they'll sell down the pub or market or similar for cash.

My laddie didn't lose anything, apart from that account which Amazon closed immediately.

It's the bloody text messages from a random 5-digit number that do my head in.

tiresome getting the phone out the pocket, seeing that it's yet another of those and going through the blocking process.

Anybody know how to block ALL 5-digit numbers?

The Real Maroonblood
1 minute ago, Boof said:

It's the bloody text messages from a random 5-digit number that do my head in.

tiresome getting the phone out the pocket, seeing that it's yet another of those and going through the blocking process.

Anybody know how to block ALL 5-digit numbers?

Can you not just block it like a phone number?

11 minutes ago, The Real Maroonblood said:

Can you not just block it like a phone number?

Aye, I do. Then I'll get another from a different 5-digit number. So I block that. Then get another from another different 5-digit number...repeat ad nauseam

At a rate of 2 per day it's gonna take 136 years to get every number blocked. If I could stop receiving texts from any 5-digit number that would make my day!

I presume they'll have some sort of 'text delivered' or 'text read' feature so that they know my number is active. Not even sure if I can block without opening the text...that would be a help.

Edited by Boof

The Real Maroonblood
1 minute ago, Boof said:

Aye, I do. Then I'll get another from a different 5-digit number. So I block that. Then get another from another different 5-digit number...repeat ad nauseam

At a rate of 2 per day it's gonna take 136 years to get every number blocked. If I could stop receiving texts from any 5-digit number that would make my day!

I'm sure there will be a way to do it.

Hopefully someone on KB will know.

Just now, The Real Maroonblood said:

I'm sure there will be a way to do it.

Hopefully someone on KB will know.

Hope so - I'm sure at least 95% of the folk on here are technologically more clued-up than I am :lol: 

On 25/11/2020 at 11:24, Tazio said:

Bullshit. 
If it’s a scam the bank will honour the money taken. I discovered a couple of years ago a mysterious direct debit had being taking £30 a month out of one of my accounts. I hadn’t noticed as all my DD’s come out one two date, the start of the month and the middle so I only ever checked those date stupidly. This went on for almost a year before I spotted it. Turned out to be linked to a PPV site I’d used to watch a hockey game. Cleverly they had the direct debit payments going to an account linked to a “adult” site, obviously hoping people would be embarrassed to go to the bank. When I visited the bank their fraud claims department gave me the lot back, £300 by then. 
Though it did lead to the amusing exchange in the bank when the person told me it was a dogging website and was I sure it wasn’t legit. I found my self blurting out “I’ve not even got a bloody car!” 

Good decision to always pay cash to Hertz...!

Thing I always find odd is how these people who transfer their money away after calling a scammer back never click that someone at a bank just answered the phone immediately! Whenever you call a bank you have to spend at least 5 mins going through menus just to end up in the wrong department anyway! Scammers are too efficient to be bankers!

The Real Maroonblood
27 minutes ago, Boof said:

Hope so - I'm sure at least 95% of the folk on here are technologically more clued-up than I am :lol: 

Same here.

What I found out the other day is that if you forward spam texts to 7726 (the numbers spell out SPAM on the keypad), the information will be available to all service operators and various official bodies.

Oh, and I got another email about my expired Norton account, which expires tomorrow. :🙃

2 hours ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

Is that the one about some 'dodgy activity has been detected on your internet connection and will be shut down in the next 24 hours'.

:laugh: The very same.

Doctor FinnBarr
9 hours ago, Boof said:

I'm in the 5%.

Just got one on my answerphone an automated message that there has been suspicious activity on my line and it will be cut off in 24 hours unless I speaker to be of their operators

1 minute ago, milky_26 said:

Just got one on my answerphone an automated message that there has been suspicious activity on my line and it will be cut off in 24 hours unless I speaker to be of their operators

BT?

Got one a few days back regarding monies i had in a covid account 😦,

whatever that is, never asked for bank details, clowns, get a life, deleted it.

Was in the spam folder, strange that😂.

Edited by Harry Potter

1 minute ago, milky_26 said:

No company mentioned and I'm not with BT

Mine was supposedly from BT who had found illegal activity on my account and I was to press option 1 to speak with an operative. 

Just now, Marvin said:

Mine was supposedly from BT who had found illegal activity on my account and I was to press option 1 to speak with an operative. 

I got he read one bit as well from a supposed Oxford number

2 minutes ago, milky_26 said:

I got he read one bit as well from a supposed Oxford number

When I did 1471 it revealed a 0220 number, which turns out is the Gambia area code :laugh:

9 minutes ago, jonnothejambo said:

I get that one too. On the recent one I asked which accident she was referring to. She repeated what she originally asked. I asked again what accident and when. 

After a pause she asked if I had fallen recently or had an accident at work where I had tripped.

I laughed. She hang up. 

Same time in a fortnight ya cloth eared bint.

I go into great detail about the recent accident I had...

in 1996. 

I also add in at the end that I may have been under the influence of drink or drugs or possibly both at the time. :rofl:

Edited by Marvin

1 minute ago, jonnothejambo said:

That would stump them....

Yeah it happened after a 1-0 home defeat to dudee hibs. Cant rememver if it was my mates birthday or house warming. I was wasted and crossed Ardmillan Terrace to get to the bank and got hit.

1 hour ago, milky_26 said:

No company mentioned and I'm not with BT

I think they have stopped mentioning any company now, because when that scam first started they assumed everybody was on BT, which wasn't the case so as soon as they mentioned BT you knew it was a scam, so now they don't mention any company.

1 hour ago, Marvin said:

When I did 1471 it revealed a 0220 number, which turns out is the Gambia area code :laugh:

I've had a few calls from some landlines in Tunisia & Norway.

Like I said eariler in the thread sure I heard that they can clone folks phone numbers, so there is every chance that somebody's done 1471 and get's your phone number or mine or the cat & dog home.

The Real Maroonblood
2 hours ago, jonnothejambo said:

I get that one too. On the recent one I asked which accident she was referring to. She repeated what she originally asked. I asked again what accident and when. 

After a pause she asked if I had fallen recently or had an accident at work where I had tripped.

I laughed. She hang up. 

Same time in a fortnight ya cloth eared bint.

The Mrs got one of Friday from HMRC threatening her with arrest.

Clowns.

4 hours ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

I've had a few calls from some landlines in Tunisia & Norway.

Like I said eariler in the thread sure I heard that they can clone folks phone numbers, so there is every chance that somebody's done 1471 and get's your phone number or mine or the cat & dog home.

Azerbaijan, in the middle of the night one night a few months ago, for me. Happily, I'd done my usual and put my mobi onto flight mode overnight so it didn't wake me up.

I don't know anyone from Azerbaijan...  :ermm:

1 hour ago, Auld Reekin' said:

Azerbaijan, in the middle of the night one night a few months ago, for me. Happily, I'd done my usual and put my mobi onto flight mode overnight so it didn't wake me up.

I don't know anyone from Azerbaijan...  :ermm:

And it could have been some Nigerian Prince on a flight stop over, informing you that his sister had left you $10m, and you had your phone on silent and missed it.  :laugh:

4 hours ago, The Real Maroonblood said:

The Mrs got one of Friday from HMRC threatening her with arrest.

Clowns.

Told me there was a warrant out for my arrest.

11 minutes ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

And it could have been some Nigerian Prince on a flight stop over, informing you that his sister had left you $10m, and you had your phone on silent and missed it.  :laugh:

:arry:  :phface:  :seething:

2 hours ago, Smack said:

Feeling blessed. Prayers answered to the tune of $27000000. A gift from God.

Screenshot_20201205-173922-362.thumb.png.8ca6677f9cf8892a8f31f1d3bd15f048.png

Congrats, Smack  - you must be over the moon, lad.    Hopefully you'll do the honourable thing and fire a few million into FoH  :jambobanana:

5 minutes ago, Lone Striker said:

Congrats, Smack  - you must be over the moon, lad.    Hopefully you'll do the honourable thing and fire a few million into FoH  :jambobanana:

Delighted! And of course, if Mrs Budge could just provide me with her bank account number and sort code then pay the mandatory GBP500 funds release fee via Western Union I'll pop a mil or 2 into the coffers. 

37 minutes ago, Smack said:

Delighted! And of course, if Mrs Budge could just provide me with her bank account number and sort code then pay the mandatory GBP500 funds release fee via Western Union I'll pop a mil or 2 into the coffers. 

:kirk:

There are some fairly elaborate scams now and they're not always detectable. 

I applied for a job via Indeed and was asked to send in proof of ID. A few days later I got an email saying it had been a scam, some shifty ****er had cloned a legitimate website (IIRC it was .co.uk instead of .com) to look the part. I never sent my bank details but they have a copy of my passport now. The Police had zero interest of course. 

6 hours ago, Smithee said:

I applied for a job via Indeed and was asked to send in proof of ID. A few days later I got an email saying it had been a scam, some shifty ****er had cloned a legitimate website (IIRC it was .co.uk instead of .com) to look the part. I never sent my bank details but they have a copy of my passport now. The Police had zero interest of course. 

Heard about the indeed one on the news.

During the PPE shortage, there were several genuine (fake) websites and one care home lost £50k in a hacking scam.

Can't remember where they are located, however they'd ordered from this site/company before, so they put in an order for £50k worth of PPE, only to discover a few days later that the real site had been hacked and all the payments had been diverted to the scammers site, was quite an elaborate set-up of how they could do it. 

Goodness knows how much money these complete scum had managed to scam before the scam was discovered.

I’ve just spent the last half hour Googling for Google scam schemes as I received a critical security alert email on my main email and text from Google that someone knew my Gmail password. Turns out it was genuine, the fact it was to both of my linked security back ups should have let me know it was genuine but this thread has made me paranoid. 
Password changed and all good now. I don’t even really use my Gmail account and only have one for emergencies if other accounts were to go down and so I can have a YouTube account. 

There is an EE scam doing the rounds, via email & text.

I got an email yesterday from EE (except it wasn't from EE).

There is an issue with the direct debit instructions of your EE account, therefore we are not going to be able to process your next monthly payment automatically until you verify your payment details.

Recent events occurred
  1. Your payment cards has expired

2. There's a problem with your bank
  3. There are insufficient fund in your account

To avoid disconnection of your contract please update your billing details on following page below :

Please click "Authenticate now" button below to confirm your account.

Authenticate now

I'm not with EE, I used to be but not for a few years now.
My laddie got the same message via text on his phone and he is with EE, however he's just paid his monthly contract payment and knew this must be a scam, other folks whose monthly contract payment is due might well get caught out.

Had another call from Amazon Prime who going to take £X from my account for a new subscription. Thing is not only would they never phone you, its my mobile that is recorded on Amazon. I can't wait to talk to them again because I will just annoy the prick by giving him dummy information and waste his time for the duration of the call.

I don't think i've ever been scammed online in my life. 

My mum ordered a designer coat from some unknown chinese website, took about 3 months to come and she was outraged with the quality...

She's an idiot though. 

11 hours ago, Greedy Jambo said:

I don't think i've ever been scammed online in my life. 

My mum ordered a designer coat from some unknown chinese website, took about 3 months to come and she was outraged with the quality...

She's an idiot though. 

I know a woman who that happened to, probably about this time last year. It was some kind of fake fur thing and came crammed into a tiny plastic bag, which meant it was crushed to feck and would have been totally unwearable. Being about two sizes too small, that didn't really matter. Here, your Mum doesn't live in Stenhouse by any chance? :D 

highlandjambo3
On 06/12/2020 at 01:58, Smithee said:

I sold a Mini Cooper few years back on e bay.....call from a guy in London sounded interested and he would post a cheque to me......I received a hand written signed cheque for the value of the car in a hand written letter, 24hrs later a guy called to say he’d be over soon to pick up the keys, I told him I would not be releasing the car till the cheque cleared....it bounced...he didn’t show nor did I hear from him again.  Contacted the police, told them the story and said I had a hand written letter and cheque.........not interested, although intent was there, there was no crime committed, told me to be more careful when selling stuff online.....WTF like it was my fault 😳

highlandjambo3
On 06/12/2020 at 08:59, Jambo-Jimbo said:

Heard about the indeed one on the news.

During the PPE shortage, there were several genuine (fake) websites and one care home lost £50k in a hacking scam.

Can't remember where they are located, however they'd ordered from this site/company before, so they put in an order for £50k worth of PPE, only to discover a few days later that the real site had been hacked and all the payments had been diverted to the scammers site, was quite an elaborate set-up of how they could do it. 

Goodness knows how much money these complete scum had managed to scam before the scam was discovered.

Vaccine sales (scams) will be rife very soon

54 minutes ago, highlandjambo3 said:

Vaccine sales (scams) will be rife very soon

There is enough fake drugs online as it is, so yeh fake vaccines will most likely appear online as well.